Start by marking “The Cellar (The Cellar #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cellar (The Cellar #1)

The Cellar (The Cellar #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  11,788 Ratings  ·  1,455 Reviews
Nothing ever happens in the town of Long Thorpe – that is, until sixteen-year-old Summer Robinson disappears without a trace. No family or police investigation can track her down. Spending months inside the cellar of her kidnapper with several other girls, Summer learns of Colin’s abusive past, and his thoughts of his victims being his family…his perfect, pure flowers. But ...more
Published March 1st 2014 by Sourcebooks Fire (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Cellar, please sign up.

Julie
Aug 03, 2014 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books
Good Evening, Flowers.

And welcome to my review. It will grab you... drag you.... throw you into a very non-cliche white van... rename you.... and turn you into my flower mwahaha! But don't you dare pollenate, because pollenating is for sluts.

He's a maaaaaniac, maaaaniac!

*dramatic pause*

Let me begin by saying that I am quite possibly the biggest crime show freak to ever exist in this world. When I'm not watching Ina Garten, you will find me cuddled under the blankets watching a Criminal Minds ma
Wendy Darling
So, so, so, so bad.

ETA: apparently Booklist recommended this to fans of LIVING DEAD GIRL? Oh hell no. That book was fantastic, and this one makes a mockery of the subject matter.

This is a ridiculous sham of a thriller (pervert bad! He has mommy issues! He must kill! He must keep all the pretty flowers/girls in his basement!) and has neither the intellectual nor the emotional capacity to explore the psychology of captor or captive, let alone make you feel anything for either. And the writing is
Evie
Almost as disturbing and heartbreaking as Elizabeth Scott's Living Dead Girl, The Cellar tells a story of kidnapping, abuse, murder and mental illness. A gut-wrenching and emotionally affecting story of desperation and fear, but also hope and survival. It's a well-written, completely absorbing nail-biter of a book, and I'm really glad I decided to pick it up!

Told in three alternating voices, The Cellar kicks-off with the kidnapping of 16-year-old Summer Robinson. Taken by a stranger, forced to
Sassy Spratt
Feb 15, 2014 Sassy Spratt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever been so engrossed in a book, so terrified by the words you were reading that you couldn't put it down, no matter how many feelings you were being hit with? The Cellar has me feeling just like this throughout the entire freaking book! I almost feel guilty saying I enjoyed this book, as it left me feeling so emotionally wrong. After the last page commenced I just sat there, staring off into space lost in my thoughts. The story the Preston composed has me feeling the entire rainbow of ...more
Blair
I read this book in wattpad a few times ago....Yeah,and it sucked.
It still does.I thought to give it a chance again ,but :

I got disappointed.....again !!

P.s:The cover is cool !!
Emily Whelchel
What I Liked
The best part about The Cellar is its potential. The premise is fascinating and the reason I picked up the book to read in the first place. Four pretty girls held captive in a basement, named after flowers. The thrill of a kidnapping and hopeful escape.

What I Didn't Like
The writing in this book simply isn't up to par. There is almost no descriptive language. At the end of The Cellar, I sat and stared at the last page, thinking, "What did Poppy even look like? For that matter, what d
Paige
Feb 01, 2016 Paige rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay I really need to get this out, so I just will.

WARNING-I WILL BE COMPLETELY DESTROYING AND TEARING APART THIS BOOK. PLEASE DON'T THINK I AM INSULTING YOU IF I SAY SOMETHING NEGATIVE.

Alrighty, shall we begin?

We are introduced to Summer (AKA a 16 year old girl who cries nonstop, is completely incapable of thinking logically and is very very very annoying).
To say the least I found Summer to be a very weak character. These are things she did throughout the novel.

1.cry
2.cry again
3.cry even th
Loyda
Sep 01, 2015 Loyda marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Loyda by: Joi Kratz
Shelves: rec
~~~~~BLURB~~~~~

When sixteen-year-old Summer Robinson goes missing one night, her family, friends and boyfriend are devastated. Nothing ever happens in Long Thorpe, so the disappearance of a school girl shocks the whole community. The police waste no time in launching a search and investigation, but with nothing to go on and no trace of Summer, hopes of finding her quickly fade.

Colin Brown, is a thirty-year-old solicitor living alone after the death of his mother. He suffered a traumatic and abus
Kristin
Jan 03, 2016 Kristin rated it liked it
Shelves: read-mystery
I really liked this book and I wanted to give it at least four stars but there were a few things I couldn't get over...

Am I the only one that found it confusing and weird that physical descriptions weren't given? It barely touched on who was who and briefly went over what their hair color was, even the main character had limited description. It was harder to imagine and connect with these characters and sometimes I got them all confused because I had no face to stick with a name.

Why would he st
Kazy
Aug 25, 2016 Kazy rated it liked it
2.5 Stars

(Shrugging shoulders)... I couldn't really get into this story. The feels just weren't there for me. Mostly, I kept reading to find out if or when the 4 girls escaped the psycho. I didn't feel the rage I would usually feel about the kidnapper, I just felt he was crazy and weird. Summer, or Lily, didn't invoke much in me. I felt bad for her, but not much beyond that. My favorite character was Summer's boyfriend, Lewis, because he would not stop hoping she was still alive and he went out

This was an okay story, but the main character came across as stupid at times.

Summer was not a very bright girl in this story. She was told repeatedly to accept a lift, to not walk alone at night, and to be careful, and she totally ignored everyone. It was like she was asking to be abducted. When she was then kidnapped, she asked totally stupid questions about things, when it was obvious what the answer was! It seemed to take way too long for her to get a clue! (view spoiler)
norcalgal
Jul 12, 2015 norcalgal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was really looking forward to reading the tense psychological thriller that I thought was "The Cellar". Instead, this was a subpar books filled with too many things to be believed.

First, there was no valid reason offered by the author (via her characters) as to why the girls - two, or three, or all four could not team up to overpower Colin (Clover) and rescue themselves. A few times, a character would just tell Summer (aka Lily) people have tried to escape but fail, with tragic consequences. O
paula
Her name is Summer. She’s fifteen and in love with her boyfriend Lewis and annoyed by her brother and doesn’t like scary movies. But the man who abducts her from the park near her house calls her Lily, and when he locks her in the basement apartment below his house, the three other young women who are already there - Poppy, Rose, and Violet - call her Lily too.

Life in the cellar is a grotesque parody of domestic life. Their captor, who calls himself Clover, is pleasant and attentive, compliment
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Feb 18, 2015 Nidah (SleepDreamWrite) rated it it was amazing
I saw this at a store. The title caught my eye and of course the story as well. I was hooked right from the first couple of pages. I like that the story gets going right away. I mean I do like a story slowly building up but also like that the story picks up right away.

Anyway, second book, next to You, that I read that had a stalker and books it seems. And I heard nothing about this one.

This was a tense, page turning read. The writing was good, though at times, I was wondering who was who. We do
Tori
Feb 24, 2014 Tori rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
Check out YA Book QUeens for more reviews!

NOTE: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I remember this book when it was on Wattpad. I have to admit that I never read it, but my friend did, and she said that it was scary as hell and that I shouldn't read it in the dark at night time. Because of this, I expected something way more scary than what I got. Yes, The Cellar is creepy on many levels, but it wasn't downright scary. It didn't
Gabby
I have mixed feelings when it comes to this book. There are things I liked about it and things that I didn't. I've been wanting to read this book for months now, and I finally picked it up today and started reading it and I couldn't put it down until I finished it. So yes, this book is good enough to keep you entertained for a few hours, and gripping enough that I couldn't put it down, so there's a positive.

Summer is a 16-year-old girl who is abducted by this man named Clover/Colin. He takes her
Katelyn Paddock
Jun 28, 2015 Katelyn Paddock rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kristina
Jul 23, 2015 Kristina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book follows the narration of 16 year old Summer, Summer's boyfriend Lewis and Colin aka Clover. Firstly, the writing style is very unfavorable. It is repetitive, too descriptive and over-uses analogies leaving the reader unable to use their own imagination. In sum, it is VERY poorly done.

The writing style never changes from each perspective, meaning Clover (the kidnapper) sounds just like the 16 year old Summer he kidnapped. The best part of reading a book from another point of view is be
Elle ✦ Pretty Little Books ✦
Jun 04, 2016 Elle ✦ Pretty Little Books ✦ rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
:: 4.5 Pretty Little Stars ::

This is definitely one of those books that you need to set aside time to read. I picked this book up and started reading… Two hours later I was at page 200. WOW. Its super creepy (what happens to these “flowers” could happen to anyone), it’s extremely suspenseful, and it’s told in 3 different POV’s making it one dynamic and interesting book. I have to admit that when I saw some of the reviews for this book that I was kind of dreading reading it. BUT OMG I am so gla
Amanda
Feb 08, 2015 Amanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cheesy, ("good evening, flowers"), drawn out and boring. Yes, that's right, I said boring. How an author could take such a terrifying plot idea and make it lame is beyond me. In fact it's actually kind of impressive in its own way...

There was way too much back story, most of which i skipped right over, all of which I didn't care about or feel it necessary. It was semi-interesting to learn more about Clover/Colins past but even then I felt it was skimmed over and not elaborated on enough.

(view sp
Anja
Jun 22, 2015 Anja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a while ago on Wattpad and I loved it! It was really dark and twisted and it kept me captivated until the end!
Rita Shaffer
Oct 05, 2016 Rita Shaffer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While this book kept me reading it was only in the hope that these women would gain some inkling of strength or determination. I found this book to be repetitive, EXTREMELY predictable and unreasonably violent. It really bothers me that the book is marketed as YA.

Sorry Reading Rocks - this one was not for me. Although, I think we will have an interesting conversation.
Rachel Lightwood
Wow... where to even start? Let me just begin with saying that I am one of the biggest crime show fans there is. Bones, Criminal Minds, Hawaii 5-0, Castle, NCIS, Elementary, CSI, Rizzoli & Isles, NCIS: LA... I have watched them all and loved each and every one. I have been obsessed with crime and forensics and mysteries since I was old enough to own a magnifying glass and read Nancy Drew. It is my genre!

When I set up my brand new Wattpad account yesterday and saw The Cellar on there, all I c
S D
Jul 03, 2015 S D rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to S by: I found it lying around
1. The author was okay kind of and her style of writing was tolerable at most, but definitely nothing special. She uses tons of stupid cliches and needs to greatly expand her vocabulary.

2. I hate the name "Dawn"

3. I hate Lewis to death. Everything about him, literally. First, how he is a felon, he was an adult having sex with a minor technically. Secondly, how emotional he is for a high school relationship. Third, his blatant disrespect for authority or seniority. And lastly, how he refers to no
Mrs.Morgan
2.5 Stars

Talk about a push and pull of how I felt about this book. Her writing is ridiculous. To be honest, I was shocked that she got it published. The storyline had flaws and holes and quick resolutions or "typical happenings" all throughout it. The characters felt underdeveloped and even annoying at times. However, with all that being said, the story was slightly captivating. I haven't read a book quite like this one where the horrid details were met with such a force of sterility and cleanli
Analysa
Oct 30, 2013 Analysa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly one of the best books ever! (Also another book I read in watt pad) I can get very emotional when I read a book I like. I think I cried all throughout this book. It keeps you on edge and engaged! VERY GOOD! :)
☪❂ Kaiah❂☪
I SAW THIS AT TARGET AND IT SOUNDS SO GOOD.

3.5 Stars. Pretty good story , and while I was emotionally invested, the characters were a bit flat .
Isabela Avila (isabelareads)
This book was seriously SO GOOD!
Kat
Oct 25, 2014 Kat rated it liked it
Stockholm syndrome, a twisted psychopath and a dedicated boyfriend. These are the three phrases that defined The Cellar for me.

Summer is a teenager who finds herself kidnapped on her way to a party. Imprisoned in a cellar by Colin/Clover she finds there are three other girls with her that have been held for varying lengths of time – Rose, Poppy and Violet, and Summer herself is renamed Lily. Clover is obsessed with flowers, and that’s exactly what he calls the girls, Flowers.

The Cellar flicks th
  • See Jane Run
  • The Betrayal Knows My Name, Volume 05
  • Filthy 4 (Filthy, #4)
  • Love at Last Sight
  • Amongst the Ruins (The Chronicles of 2020, #1)
  • His To Keep
  • Late Summer Rain
  • A Million Times Goodnight
  • The Unseen 2 (The Unseen, #3-4)
  • Our Song
  • The Shy Girl Has a Gun
  • On Solid Ground (In Too Deep, #2)
  • My Dark Knight
  • Girl Last Seen
  • Paying for His Mistakes
  • The Caledonian Inheritance (The Athena Effect #3)
New York Times Bestselling Author

I very rarely check goodreads so if you need to get in touch please email prestoninkltd@gmail.com
More about Natasha Preston...

The Cellar (2 books)
  • You'll Always Be Mine (The Cellar #2)

“They were as pure as flowers.” 13 likes
“I had heard that true love is realized after a couple has experienced and overcome something huge.” 5 likes