The Godmother (Godmother, #1)

The Godmother (Godmother #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  438 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The author of the Nebula Award-winning novel Healer's War returns with an enchanting new tale. When social worker Rose Samson wishes Seattle had a fairy godmother, she never expects her wish to come true. Then she meets a strange woman who accompanies her when she checks up on her clients . . . who brings enough magic to turn lives around.
Published September 1st 1994 by Ace Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about The Godmother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Godmother

Tracey, librarian on strike
This felt a little like Charles de Lint in its exploration of extreme misery and child abuse overlaid with magical assistance. One thing I will say for de Lint, though, is that at least he never rubbed my face in a toddler's point-of-view scene of child rape. Thank you for that. I'm not marking that as a spoiler, because a) it was almost inevitable and b) everyone should know about that going in. I wish I had. I probably wouldn't have read it if I'd known. There unfortunately is no such actual t...more
Elley Murray
Not at all what I was expecting, but still a great read! The story is about a Godmother who comes to grant the wish of Rose, a Seattle social worker, to give her a hand with her caseload. In The Godmother, Scarborough suggests that many modern-day situations are variations on themes told in the fairy tales of old, though in these modern times the stories often get convoluted and mixed with other stories.

The Godmother has a lot of characters, most of them revolving in some way around our social-...more
Shala Kerrigan
What I love best about Elizabeth Ann Scarborough's books is that her princesses are self-rescuing and imperfect.

Her urban fantasy is truly urban fantasy, it's not romance with vampires or werewolves.

In this story, she combines elements from fairy tales like Hansel and Gretel, Snow White and Cinderella with several story lines running together and woven around the main character who is a social worker in Seattle who made a wish to a fairy godmother.

I recommended this book to my daughter who is ve...more
Katie
This book was a quick read, but it wasn't nearly as good as the Five Hundred kingdoms books by Mercedes Lackey.

The main character was likable enough, but too much time was spent on the (disturbing) side stories - and those side stories focused on young children, whom I don't find that enjoyable to read about.
Ryan
The bureaucratic nightmare of social worker Rose Sampson's job isn't really hard to imagine, even if it is supposed to be fiction. Her case load includes some modern versions of a number of fairy tales - Cindy Ellis is still victimized by her stepsisters, Sno Quantrill goes missing much to her stepmother's joy, and two young children try to find their way home from the mall where their own mother 'forgot' them. Rose is frustrated and wishes for a fairy godmother to help fix everything. Felicity...more
Gail
Heroine wishes for someone to help with social services in Seattle and gets a Fairy Godmother. Magic is rather minimal, but interesting story—even a “happily ever after”, though it’s downplayed to a large extent. Cute.
Neelz
Not a great story and not very well-written, but the Seattle setting of this fractured fairy tale was enjoyable.
An Odd1
Rose Samson, Seattle social worker, wishes for a fairy godmother, and high-class British accented Felicity Fortune tries to oblige. Envious stepmother sends knife-wielding assassin Robert "Bobby" after Snohomish Quantrill (spell that one without looking), rock-star's daughter on probation. Sheo escapes and meets seven nicknamed Vietnam veterans on masculine drumming-sauna retreat.

Toddler Gigi and brother Hank are abandoned by their drug-addled mother. Saved once by friendly cop Fred, the second...more
Cécile C.
This book started well, and then overstepped its own limits. A shame.

The initial idea was nice enough; a social worker is confronted to real-life cases that mimick several fairy-tales. Why not. It was a little heavy-handed of the author to have a character explicitly state that fairy-tales are archetypes that keep reproducing themselves in the real world (this rationalisation sounded silly, and since it was not enough of a justification, it could have been omitted with no problem), but that's a...more
Nicole
Sweet, funny and very wishful in the best way. The characters may not have been guaranteed happiness ever after but they had a good chance at an optimistic outlook.

Except for the riding stable near Gas Works parks I enjoyed the description of Seattle as the setting. However the idea of trails and stabling between Lake Union and Wallingford is just not possible. There used to be a real stable in West Seattle until the sixties. The South Seattle Community College is near the location. That area is...more
Tammy
Tara
As other reviewers have mentioned this is a pretty dark godmother story with some extremely uncomfortable/unwanted scenes. While I can appreciate the underlying message of the book (which seems to be that there is no such thing as a happy ending, really, and that bureaucracy can invade even the most magical of realms) I had a hard time stomaching the harsh realness of the book. Not a fun read. Not a bad one, but not terribly rewarding for the trouble.
Jenny
Melanti
Awful. Just a really, really bad combo of really heinous crimes and lots and lots of jokes...

And way too much talking -- pages at a time without hardly any exposition to break it up beyond the standard "she said"/"he said" labels.

As a side note -- the ereads edition I bought has plenty of editing errors where multiple paragraphs were run together with not even a space between two different people talking. I just peeked at the sample for the Kindle edition, and spotted one in the sample, so they...more
Kerri
My first book of 2012, a year in which I promise to write reviews for every book I read. This one grabbed me quick and was a fast, fun read. Can't help thinking it's rather dated at some points though, and the cast of characters is slightly larger than it probably needs to be. Still, I enjoyed it and will be picking up the sequel.
Lindsay Wing
Shifra
pairing a godmother with a social worker in seattle makes for a good story, but there were a few too many ugly details about the cases ... however, it certainly remained true to the nature of the original fairytales.
Suzie Quint
Irene
I liked the way traditional fairy tales were incorporated into a very modern story. This is a clever, well-written book with a lot of humour in it.
Kimberly
Might have gotten a slightly higher rating, but the language wasn't so great. Interesting concept though.
Beep
Not a bad book if you are looking for something more on the light-side, plus it is a quick read.
Heather
A great summer/weekend read, and a good introduction to the modern fairytale and elf punk genres.
Mrs Johnnie Tate
I'd forgotton how wonderful a story teller Ms. Scarborough was! Enjoying this.
Lace
Well written. A tale about fairy tales replaying themselves in modern times.
Shelley
Very enjoyable and fresh take on old European classic fairy tales!
The Fairy Godmother
Based on fairytales in general, and Fairy Godmothers in particular.
Brittneigh
Meh. I don't know. It was okay.
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
  • Did You Say Chicks?! (Chicks in Chainmail, #2)
  • Son of Man
  • Spiritwalk
  • Fall of Light (LaZelle, #2)
  • Jinian Star-Eye (Jinian, #3)
  • Enemy Mine
  • The Cursed Towers (The Witches of Eileanan, #3)
  • The Magestone (Witch World Series 4: Secrets of the Witch World, #2)
  • Cards Of Grief
  • The Disappearance
  • A Different Light
  • Finders-Seekers (Ghatti's Tale, #1)
  • The Werewolf Principle
  • The Imperial Stars (Family d'Alembert, #1)
  • The Granite Shield (Branion, #3)
  • Once Upon a Dreadful Time (Faery Series, #5)
  • Maelstrom (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 2)
  • The Door Into Fire (The Tale of the Five, #1)
11906
Elizabeth Ann Scarborough was born March 23, 1947, and lives in the Puget Sound area of Washington. Elizabeth won a Nebula Award in 1989 for her novel The Healer's War, and has written more than a dozen other novels. She has collaborated with Anne McCaffrey, best-known for creating the Dragonriders of Pern, to produce the Petaybee Series and the Acorna Series.
More about Elizabeth Ann Scarborough...
The Healer's War Song of Sorcery (Argonian #1) The Godmother's Apprentice (Godmother, #2) Bronwyn's Bane The Unicorn Creed (Argonian #2)

“Even the smallest thing can be enough to encourage someone who has decided to give up hope.” 4 likes