Start by marking “Village Centenary” as Want to Read:
Village Centenary

Village Centenary (Fairacre #15)

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  416 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
VILLAGE CENTENARY welcomes us back to Miss Read's cozy downland village just in time for the one hundredth anniversary of Fairacre School. Miss Clare, who was a pupil and later a teacher there, points out that such a centenary should be celebrated, and all of Fairacre is quick to offer suggestions -- from a tea party to a full-scale pageant. Deciding how best to stage the ...more
Published May 27th 1982 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Village Centenary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Village Centenary

Carolyn
Feb 13, 2014 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-good-one-yes
Most of Miss Read books can be put in one cute category: quaint. It's a word I don't use often, because of old 80's yuppie connotations. However her stories are quite quaint. I have learned to love each character in Fair acre and in Thrush green. This book is not a disappointment, like so many other authors who have series or books surrounding the same characters tome to tome. I love the fact that the decision whether to have a tea party or pageant to pay for the leaky sky light in the school is ...more
Ruby Rose Scarlett
Lovely and soothing. I loved the Vicar in this. Not my favourite Miss Read but it's very enjoyable and unlike anything else in terms of comfort.
Sally
Apr 28, 2016 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love these Fairacre books by Miss Read! They are charming, witty, and indulge my inner anglophile!
Ellen Stafford
Another great book in the series from Miss Read.
Jan 06, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I realise now why I love Miss Read's audiobooks so much. The lady who reads them, June Barry, sounds just like my grandmother used to, and Fairacre village reminds me very much of her little village in Sussex. No wonder, then, that these stories soothe me to sleep!
Charlie Trafford
Another engaging little saga abut life in the village of Fairacre, its another 5 stars!
Melody
Apr 04, 2010 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful entry in the Fairacre canon, this one with a star turn by Miss Clare. The school is 100 years old, and the village throws itself into the celebration as only a small tightly-knit village can do. The characters are so well-drawn and the tide of the narrative so comfortable that it's easy to overlook what a good writer Miss Read was.
Carol
Jan 05, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: century-of-books
Dawn
Feb 21, 2010 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 50-books
Love these little books. Sweet, gentle, a lost way of life. Written by a village school teacher who recounts her days in the village of Fairacre (set at the foot of the Berkshire Downs, which is home to me). This book celebrates the village school's 100th anniversary and tells the story month by month leading up to the final celebrations.
E.L.
Oct 29, 2013 E.L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What fun, to find a Fairacre book I hadn't read yet. I'm thankful my teenage self found Miss Read's books boring, because it has given me even greater joy to read them all for the first time as an adult. This was just as delightful as all the others: charming, comforting, pungent, and full of quiet zest.
Jo
Nov 23, 2009 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, miss-read
This was a charming book, very light and easy to read, evoking a wonderful atmosphere of village life in rural England. I read almost the whole thing on a train journey from Cambridge to Birmingham - very gentle and easy-going.
Teotakuu
Another fortuitous find amongst the books in a box at FutureCat's on Saturday night

I am enjoying these stories so much. Miss Read has a perceptive eye for the pace and dynamics of life in rural villages post WW2
Michele
Jan 24, 2008 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: current-fiction
What's not to like about a Miss Read book? This was the perfect distraction to cold, wet weather in dreary January. The gentle pace & familiar characters add to its charm.
Dianne Gardner
I am reading the series,"Chronicles of Fairacre". I really like how she has developed her characters, making you feel as if you know each of them.
Hannah Gardner
These books are just plain fun and whimsy for me.
Sharon
Mar 13, 2008 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
100 year school anniversary
Cathy Kelich
Cathy Kelich rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Danelle Cale
Danelle Cale marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Teri Pre
Teri Pre marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Marg
Marg rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Andria
Andria rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2016
L
L rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Yvonne Duty
Yvonne Duty is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2016
Rosalind Jenkins
Rosalind Jenkins rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Leaflet
Leaflet rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Iona Bauer
Iona Bauer rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
  • Christmas Cake
  • Vittoria Cottage (Dering Family, #1)
  • Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly (Piggly Wiggly, #1)
  • Papa's Wife (The Franzons, #1)
  • The New Rector (Tales from Turnham Malpas #1)
  • Practically Seventeen (Tobey Heydon, #1)
  • Not All Tarts Are Apple
  • Going On Sixteen
  • The Bird in the Tree (Eliots of Damerosehay, #1)
  • A Miracle for St. Cecilia's
  • Henry Reed's Big Show
  • Wish I Could Be There: Notes From a Phobic Life
  • A Dollar Short: The Bottom Dollar Girls Go Hollywood (Bottom Dollar Girls, #2)
  • Nights In The Gardens Of Spain
  • Downhome: An Anthology of Southern Women Writers
  • Overcoming Anxiety for Dummies
Dora Jessie Saint MBE née Shafe (born 17 April 1913), best known by the pen name Miss Read, was an English novelist, by profession a schoolmistress. Her pseudonym was derived from her mother's maiden name. She began writing for several journals after World War II and worked as a scriptwriter for the BBC.

She wrote a series of novels from 1955 to 1996. Her work centred on two fictional English villa
More about Miss Read...

Fairacre (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Village School (Fairacre, #1)
  • Village Diary (Chronicles of Fairacre, #2)
  • Storm in the Village (Chronicles of Fairacre, #3)
  • Miss Clare Remembers (Fairacre, #4)
  • Over the Gate (Fairacre, #5)
  • Village Christmas (Fairacre, #6)
  • Fairacre Festival (Fairacre, #7)
  • Emily Davis
  • Tyler's Row (Fairacre, #9)
  • The Christmas Mouse (Fairacre, #10)