Start by marking “Company For Henry” as Want to Read:
Company For Henry

Company For Henry

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  32 reviews
When brokers' men skulk in the kitchens...
When lovers with beautiful natures and ferocious faces skulk in the grounds, when millionaires go potty over eighteenth-century French paperweights entailed on impoverished squires who ask nothing better than to sell them - then the rich fabric of life is apt to need a little retailoring.
And when Wodehouse sews it up, if fits like
174 pages
Published January 31st 1980 by Penguin (first published May 12th 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Company For Henry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Company For Henry

Libbeth
I will use this "review" for all the P. G. Wodehouse I have read. I read them all so long ago and enjoyed them so much that I have given them all 5 stars. As I re-read them I will adjust the stars accordingly, if necessary, and add a proper review.
When I first discovered P. G. Wodehouse I devoured every book I could find in the local library, throughout the eighties and early nineties. Alas, this means that I have read most of them and stumbling across one I have not read is a rare thing. I'm su
Colleen
Frothy fun. The plot is as intricate as the workings of a music box. As typical for a PG Wodehouse novel, the characters don't change, but they are delightful enough as they are that the reader doesn't really mind that. A quick read that's perfect for the lazy days of summer.
Douglas Wilson
Read this one before, under the title The Purloined Paperweight. I liked it better this time for some reason. Always fun.
Doug
This book makes a pair of [interconnected] Thomas Hardy jokes, name-checks Southern [US] fried chicken as a wonderful thing, and lampshades its whole premise of a caper involving a missing paperweight as being quaint in the first few pages. Five stars! Stand amazed by it.

Ok, so even for Wodehouse, this one is light and full of contrivances. You could call it breezy, unnecessarily convoluted, prone to so many coincidences that even Dickens would complain, and a bit idealistic about human nature
Betsy
Not an all-out laugh fest or binge, but a jolly good time all the same.
Sheryl
Jun 12, 2015 Sheryl rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anglophiles and those who don't take his upper class non working characters seriously
Recommended to Sheryl by: no one

i had actually HEARD of this book from deep in my distant past so thot maybe it was well known long ago? anyway, hugh grant and steven fry are huge fans of his and played jeeves and wooster on the BBC long ago...

very quick read but i didn't want it to end...i wanted more so now the search is on...since i listen over and over again in the car i now must start reading them in bed...they are a tremendous number, thank goodness.

i need them to relieve the tremendous stress in my life now so...they d
I had heard of P.G. Wodehouse, but never read anything by him until a fellow reviewer suggested I should. And, having no rhyme or reason to which Wodehouse book to read, I chose the one with the oddest title. This book actually goes by another name than the one I have. It has been re-released with the title “Company for Henry.”

Comments I’ve received when mentioning I’m reading a Wodehouse book have all followed a similar strain – “He’s so…British!” Sometimes this was meant in a good way, sometim
Ian Wood
The titular Henry is Henry Paradenen whom after a career treading the boards has unexpectedly inherited Ashby Hall and the families associated financial obligations. American multi-millionaire relative J. Wendell Stickney and has arrived and Henry is keen to unload the family pile on him whilst wooing Stickney’s Aunt Kelly. Henry’s niece, Jane, is also involved in one of the unfortunate Wodehouse engagements to an interior decorator, Lionel Green (whom previously appeared in ‘Money in the Bank’ ...more
Emma
I read somewhere that this is one of the last books Wodehouse wrote. I have to say, it was not too good, the plot was and the characters could have been more funny. But you do as usual with him, stumble onto fun images here and there. It is certainly not as good as the previous Wodehouse I reviewed.

Something I thought uncanny, is that he mentions in it a book I just read and reviewed! Here is the excerpt, p.57:

‘I don’t think she’s rich. I put her down as a poor relation. And even if she’s rollin
Jeff Crompton
I've read and reread almost everything by Wodehouse, but I couldn't remember much about this book, so I gave it another go. This relatively late novel is not Plum's best, by a long shot. Wodehouse books aren't "realistic," but the characters seemed even less real than usual. The plot managed to be both convoluted and thin at the same time, and several loose ends remained dangling when we got to the last page. I almost gave this one a two-star rating, but I couldn't bring myself to do so - it's W ...more
T.R.
Not my favorite of Plum's, but not too shabby :)
Trish
One of his best!
Rebecca
Yet another witty offering from PG Wodehouse. Surprisingly, not quite everything was tied up neatly at the end, yet that's ok.
Henry owns a house he wants to get rid of, J. Wendell is the perfect person on whom to unload it. J Wendell would prefer his Aunt Kelly not live with him, however he needs her to escape from his horrible sister. Jane NEEDS to escape her fiance Lionel, as her uncle Henry and her brother Algy keep telling her, and Algy's friend Bill might just fit the bill, as it were.
Somdutta
Dec 21, 2014 Somdutta rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Somdutta by: Wodehouse fans
Shelves: uc-davis-library
A loony in the habit of collecting paperweights comes to his ancestral home in England where lies a paperweight which he wants but cannot have because of old English laws of selling family heirlooms. A series of incidents happen where several of Wodehouse's characters are wallowing in their own problems and schemes to get those problems sorted out.Well, in the end the problems do get sorted out and there's sunshine on Wodehouse land. It is no doubt another of Wodehouse's laugh riots.
Edward Newman
AKA "Company For Henry" this is a late, yet great one from P.G. Wodehouse, almost at a level with "Summer Lightning" and "Joy In The Morning" (written 20 years earlier and generally regarded as his masterpieces). It wraps up a but quickly, but you'll burst out laughing as it winds out...
KT
I really enjoyed this book. I have never read Wodehouse before and was pretty impressed by his intellectually whimsical style. For this book in particular, I was sort of saddened by the fact this is really a stand-alone amongst his other series, but enjoyable nonetheless.
John
Quite droll though by the time Wodehouse wrote this (1967) most of the world he describes must have all but disappeared. Best to pretend its still set in the 20s/30s. Characters largely interchangeable with a number of others previously appearing in earlier books.
Kate
I enjoyed the quirky characters and ridiculously convoluted plot. P.G. Wodehouse's narrative voice is always light and funny. However, there were a whole lot of loose ends that were never resolved, which bothered me somewhat.
Deb
written in 67, when pg was 86, so not the best, except for Aunt Kelly! Kelly is a new kind of Aunt, American and brainy, full of bonhomie. I'm out of library books, so grabbing random Wodehouse books off the shelf.
Kathryn
One of the first Wodehouses I read. I still remember it fondly though, alas, Wodehouse plots tend to blend together in memory so I can't say why it was a favorite.
Jason Fritz
One of Wodehouse's better later books. However, the finale culminates rather quickly without appropriate development. Still an exceptionally fun read.
Christopher
one of his best. light-hearted. long-time fans will recognized the plot devices, but will nevertheless enjoy this story.
Betsy
The first P. G. Wodehouse novel I ever read. The gateway. He has a delightful way with words.
Erica
Funny read with several classic lines. I add this to my growing list fo Wodehouse greats.
Kelli
first wodehouse i've read. light, delightful, funny. perfect for grey january.
Richa
Not in the same league as the Jeeves collection but thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless!
CJ Bowen
Algy was like a lily of the field who toiled not neither did he spin.
Joshua
Good. Some parts identical to portions of 'Sam the Sudden'.
Ann Freeman
Light, whimsical, and entertaining.
Katherine Jensen
Jan 15, 2014 Katherine Jensen marked it as to-read
Shelves: 99
1/1/99. No library.
Goodreads Librari...: P G Wodehouse vs P.G. Wodehouse 3 38 Feb 02, 2013 09:21PM
  • The Social Climber's Handbook: A Novel
  • Naked Eye (Fearless FBI, #4)
  • Babylonne
  • The Better Mousetrap (J. W. Wells & Co., #5)
  • The Best Laid Plans
  • Mind Storm (Strykers Syndicate, #1)
  • Pied and Prodigious
  • The Chamber of Five
  • Tickled Pink: A Comic Novel
  • Freshman
  • The Gentle Art of Verbal Self Defense at Work
  • Red Station (Harry Tate, #1)
  • The Complete Fables (Penguin Classics)
  • The Arrangement
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • MYTH-Interpretations: The Worlds of Robert Asprin
  • What Would Dewey Do? (Unshelved, #2)
  • Into Hot Air: Mounting Mount Everest
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...
My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1) Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3) The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7) Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6) The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)