Monarch and Milkweed

Monarch and Milkweed

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  20 reviews
One of nature's most perfect relationships

Every spring the monarch butterfly migrates thousands of miles in search of the ideal milkweed plant. When she finds it, she lays her eggs on the plant, so when each egg hatches, the baby caterpillar can feed on the milkweed leaves. The milkweed plant then provides the perfect protection as the caterpillar turns into one of natur...more
Published March 4th 2008 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Monarch and Milkweed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monarch and Milkweed

Kathryn
3.5 STARS

A circular story of the Monarch butterfly and the milkweed plant and how the Monarch depends on the milkweed for its survival. It's a great concept, but I felt that at times (especially at the beginning and end) it was a bit abstract--it wasn't clear why we were reading first about a milkweed plant, then about a monarch butterfly, it felt disjointed. And the end might also be a tad confusing for kids, too. Granted, the migration of monarch butterflies is a bit of a puzzle even to scient...more
Kristy Breese
What? This is a video. This is the story about the monarch butterfly and its life on earth. The illustrations provide a visual of butterflies migrating, sipping nectar from milkweed plants, mating, laying eggs, producing caterpillars, and then transforming into a beautiful butterfly.

So What? This is a good video for the audio learner. This video did not provide the words of the story in print, but narrated by the author who told the story in a calm, soothing voice.

Now What? To introduce butterf...more
Marianne
So beautifully illustrated and infromative. Great book.
Guen
This is a beautiful picture book about the interdependent life cycles of the monarch butterfly and the milkweed plant. Their stories are first told in a beautifully illustrative, rhythmic prose that reads aloud nicely and includes a gorgeous two-page spread of a monarch butterfly in all its glory. It then follows with a two-page summary in more traditional prose that fills in some of the facts missing from the "story". The focus of the book is not just on the butterflies but on their role in the...more
dee
I hit the jackpot today. This was a gorgeous book about the life of the king of all butterflies the Monarch. The illustrations were wonderful. The story starts in a patch of dirt where a little milkweed is stretching to the sky. The Monarch must lay their eggs on this particular host plant. The book explains the life of the butterfly all the way from their amazing migration from Mexico to find this plant. It then explains as the plant continues its' own life cycle. We all know those little green...more
Samantha Dundas
The general age range for this book is primary.

This book is about the monarch butterfly and how it migrates to find the milkweed plant. It tells how when it find the plant it lays it eggs and when it is a caterpillar the milkweed plant protects it. Then the caterpillar becomes a butterfly and flies off. The artistic element in this book is realistic because the pictures in the book look like a real butterfly and like a milkweed plant. I would recommend this book to children who are looking at mo...more
Ashley
Wow! I never realized how far monarchs migrate all the way from North America to Mexico. That is a long journey for such a little creature.
I remember when I was in elementary school, my neighbor would collect butterflies. My brother and I would go over to his house and watch as the caterpillars, then chrysalis, and then before we knew it there would be butterflies flying all over our backyards. An incredible sight to see!
I loved the author’s note at the back of the book that went into greater d...more
Rida
Very Educational!
Mary Ann
This is a soothing, interesting book about the journey of the Monarch butterflies through their life cycle. It focuses on the interconnectedness between the Monarchs and the milkweed plants. It achieves a wonderful balance between simple text, captivating paintings, and interesting concepts. Perfect for 1st graders and kindergarteners - possibly OK for older preschoolers.
Matthew
The parallel story of the migration of monarch butterflies and milkweed, the staple plant in their survival, this story illustrates the lives of both in simple, readable text that offers readers a clear understanding of the delicate balance that exists between their life cycles. It contains a nice endnote offering further information and more resources to consult.
Sally
*sigh* At first I didn't know if I like the impressionistic images, but they definitely grew on me. Just beautiful. And reading this book reminded me that I want to plant milkweed in my yard. I collected seed 1 1/2 years ago and haven't planted them! The information is carefully researched, so it's not just a beautiful book, it also teaches.
Chantel
I'm going to add this to my personal library because of our wonderful experience with monarch metamorphosis this summer. Monarch and Milkweed does a beautifully illustrated job of capturing the life cycle of the monarch butterfly.
Beth/Sr. Elizabeth
Did you know that monarch butterflies lay each egg on the underside of a milkweed leaf? The fascinating relationship between the plant and the butterfly is explained in detail in this beautiful picture book. I learned so much!
Jessica Marcum
Informational: I liked it. I thought it was a good balance between really teaching information and telling a story. I think these kinds of picture books make it fun for younger kids to learn.
Amy
This pretty book shows kids the life cycle of monarch butterflies and milkweed plants. Lovely pictures, and a good addition to that elementary school "life cycle of a butterfly" unit.
Tracy
This is a very simple explanation of the relationship between monarch butterflies and milkweed plants.
The illustrations are wonderful, kind of a pointellism effect.
Amanda
This is an excellent book for teachers who are doing a butterfly life cycle lesson and for showing how environmental interdependence.
Julie Heidingsfelder
Picture Book: Published: 2008. Absolutely gorgeous illustrations! The best part of the book in my opinion.
Cindi
Saw this at a butterfly exhibit. I didn't look at the text, but the pictures are amazing!
Paige
Dec 28, 2008 Paige rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Paige by: Chantel (CLAU)
Good information about monarchs; geared towards elementary students.
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Marissa Jones
Marissa Jones marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Jill
Jill added it
Jul 15, 2014
Jessica Ashley
Jessica Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Justin
Justin added it
Jun 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I'm dipping my toes into goodreads to see how it works. Thanks for finding me here, and thanks to everyone who has read and written about my books. I love to know you're there, even if I don't come here too often to say so.

Helen Frost is the author of six novels-in-poems and two picture books for children and young adults. She lives in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

More about Helen Frost...
Hidden Diamond Willow Keesha's House Step Gently Out Crossing Stones