Start by marking “The Gourdmother (A Gourd Craft Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Gourdmother (A Gourd Craft Mystery, #1)

The Gourdmother (A Gourd Craft Mystery #1)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Brooklyn girl Lili Marino has found herself starting over in the tiny village of Walden Corners, New York, where she has the time and space to cultivate her first love: crafting gourds. She's also becoming surprisingly expert at cutting to the rotten heart of a mystery.

Lily is just starting to feel welcomed in Walden Corners when she finds the local high school football
Published September 6th 2005 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Gourdmother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gourdmother

Oleta
Apr 14, 2008 Oleta added it
Gourd craft is differnt from the usual tea's crafts and gardens. was a pretty good book,good characters.
Mary
Great first chapter: the wailing of a person in anguish...but this remains unexplained. It doesn't come up again until the end of the book. I appreciated the involvement given the reader with the main character and her settling into a small, country atmosphere, her need for friends, and the beginning of finding a circle of friends. Murder is a cruel thing, and death is harsh for those left behind. Maggie Bruce deals with the entire picture rather than simply the thrill of the chase. As a gourder ...more
Ruth
Oh My GOURD? Who'd have guessed this is SUCH an interesting form of art.
The author tells a suspenseful, great story, interspersed with fascinating facts about gourds.
Because of this new-found interest, I've placed a "board" on Pinterest :*
Stephanie
Another beach house find. An interesting sounding setting and characters - who knew there was a whole thing about carving gourds into art object thingies?! - but unfortunately it's all just really, really boring.

Chi Dubinski
Lili Marino, a gourd artist from the big city, moves to upstate New York and gets involved in solving the murder of the high school football coach. Bigotry, football rivalries, and old feuds surface. The author slips in information about the history of gourd craft, and instructions on various techniques used to work the gourds.
Grey853
I thought this would be a cozy when I picked it up, but the violence and the subject matter make it a regular mystery in my book. I found it rather depressing.

It wasn't bad, but I thought there was far too much emphasis on the main character's life and adjustment to small town living than on the mystery itself.
Susi
Fun murder mystery, if you can describe murder as fun. As a gourd carver I was particularly attracted to the book because the author and main character are both gourd carvers, too.
Jane
Jan 26, 2013 Jane rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: myst
Beginning of series; believable plot, well-drawn characters; liked, but didn't adore.
Linda
Not bad but not my favorite either.
Ellana Thornton-Wheybrew
Ellana Thornton-Wheybrew marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Kristen Ray
Kristen Ray marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Jill
Jill added it
Aug 05, 2014
Amy ~Lover of Books~
Amy ~Lover of Books~ marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥
❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Linda Langford
Linda Langford marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Ginny
Ginny marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
ChrisGA
ChrisGA marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
204962
Maggie Bruce, the creator of the Lili Marino series, is otherwise known as Marilyn Wallace, editor of the award- winning five-volume Sisters in Crime anthologies, co-editor of Deadly Allies, and the author of several mystery and suspense novels.
More about Maggie Bruce...

A Gourd Craft Mystery (2 books)
  • Gourdfellas (A Gourd Craft Mystery, #2)
Murder Most Crafty Gourdfellas (A Gourd Craft Mystery, #2)