Start by marking “Ubik” as Want to Read:
Ubik

Ubik

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  47,417 Ratings  ·  2,330 Reviews
Glenn Runciter ha muerto. ¿O lo han hecho todos los demás? Esta cáustica comedia metafísica de muerte y salvación (servida en cómodo aerosol) es un tour de force de amenaza paranoica y diversión sin trabas, en la que los fallecidos dan consejos comerciales, compran su siguiente encarnación, y corren continuamente el riesgo de morir de nuevo.
Paperback, Solaris Ficción, 314 pages
Published April 30th 2007 by La Factoría de Ideas (España) (first published September 23rd 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Ubik, please sign up.

Natalia I agree with Andy Rhodes - start with "Do androids dream of electric sheep" it is not too confusing and then to get a bit deeper into your regular…moreI agree with Andy Rhodes - start with "Do androids dream of electric sheep" it is not too confusing and then to get a bit deeper into your regular Dickean world : The three stigmata of Palmer eldrich - but watever you do read Simulacra bevor you read Ubik - because then you will be more familiar with precogs and stuff like that when you pick up Ubik - wich explains nothing - while Simulacra does explain some of the concepts.(less)
Javier
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

RandomAnthony
Jan 03, 2011 RandomAnthony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phillip K Dick's Ubik flirts with perfection. I inhaled this novel over three days when one of my kids was sick and Christmas break was ending. I started the book on the couch during a Mythbusters marathon. By page fifty I wanted to shut the door and leave my kids to forage in the refrigerator for Gatorade and string cheese. And on Sunday night, when I closed the book, I felt satisfied and excited with a novel in a way that doesn't happen much. Ubik is fun, smart, and exhilarating.

Ok, let me
Cecily
A clever, original and often very funny sci-fi story. It is about psychic power battles, the nature of death, alternative reality and changing the past. Or not.

FUN, FUN, FUN
It was published in 1969 and starts off in a sufficiently plausible but amusingly implausible 1992. In particular, the clothes take the flamboyance of the late '60s to extraordinary heights, for no obvious reason, other than fun. On the second page, we meet a man wearing "a tabby-fur blazer and pointed yellow shoes", which is
Darwin8u
Dec 15, 2015 Darwin8u rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
“I am Ubik. Before the universe was, I am.

description

― Philip K. Dick, Ubik

description

Friends, this wild review is 100% PKD approved. Ubik the review is only seconds away! Ubik the review is easy-to-read, easy-to-unde
Lyn
Apr 15, 2016 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began reading some of Philip K. Dick’s short stories and quickly became hooked. His style and imagination have left an indelible mark on science fiction since and his influence is unmistakable. His novels are genius, and Ubik may be the best one I have read yet.

Telling an inventive sci-fi tale that is entertaining on its surface, this is also a theological metaphor that keeps the reader thinking and trying to figure out what in the world PKD is getting at. His brilliance is compelling and his
Stuart
It took me 40 years to get around to it, but I finally dived into PKD's reality-bending novels over the last two years, and this one is excellent. UBIK is much stranger and more darkly humorous than Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. It starts out with a very far-fetched future world set in 1992, and the plot revolves around telepaths, inertials, prudence organizations, snarky coin-operated household appliances, "cold-pac" half-life moratoriums, crazily excessive clothing styles, mysterious li ...more
Kua
May 23, 2012 Kua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Come è possibile che Philip K. Dick sia stato nascosto ai miei occhi fino ad oggi? E io, in che parte dell'universo ho vissuto per non aver mai letto niente di suo? Sono allibita, sono sconcertata dalla mia ignoranza. Vergogna!
Certo che per avere delle paranoie simili, tanto bene Philip non doveva stare. Perchè un conto è non sapere se si è vivi o morti e va bè uno non lo sa e continua per la sua strada, un altro è non sapere che si è morti ma sospettarlo fortemente (brividi)... Questo romanzo
Marvin
Dec 26, 2012 Marvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is one of Philip K. Dick's strangest novels. Those who have read his novels know that is saying a lot. But there were a few surprises for me. This is one of his wittiest novels. There are a lot of clever moments especially at the beginning. Yet sooner or later Dick will take you into the weird dimension and he does it with finesse. I do not have the patience to describe the plot. Even the Goodreads description at the top is lacking. But all the necessary ingredients... frustrated protagonis ...more
Penny
This book is pure genius! Even when I was as confused as Joe Chip about what in the hell was really going on, I loved every second of it. The concept behind this novel is brilliant. We spend a great deal of it unsure of what is real and what isn't and some of the ideas Dick manages to throw in as the story progresses had me grinning and shaking my head at the crazy logic of it all.

One of my favourites was the question of whether or not you can out-random a guy who had precogs tell him your every
Kemper
Sep 09, 2009 Kemper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 100, spooky-powers
I don't know why but I always get a huge kick out of reading an older sci-fi story that was set in the near future, but it's a date I've lived through. In 2001, I'd just randomly shout, "Kubrick and Clarke were wrong,! We don't have bases on the moon! Those fools!" This is another one where Phil didn't exactly nail 1992 writing in 1969, but it's still a pretty good story.

In this 1992, there are people with psionic powers like telepathy or precognition that are used for industrial sabotage, and r
Jaci
Mar 30, 2008 Jaci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to think hard
Shelves: read-in-2008, own
This was the first book that I have read by Philip K. Dick, and I was not disappointed. This novel was a page-turner and relatively quick read. It is hard for me to explain what I got out of this book because it dealt with some very abstract concepts, but here are my thoughts (as disjointed as they may be).

How do we know if what we are experiencing right now is life, and not half-life, death, or a reincarnation of ourselves? This was the main question that the characters of Ubik faced.

The book
Apatt
Sep 15, 2011 Apatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mind blown!

Philip K. Dick is generally very welled loved by the sf readership, nobody writes quite like him. His novels tend to mess with my head and leave me WTF-ing, wondering where I am and what is going on. In a good way of course.

It is difficult for me to choose a Dick favorite, I have never read anything by him that I did not like. Still, if I must choose one I would choose Ubik. The different layers of reality remind me of The Matrix, Inception and Ursula Le Guin's The Lathe of Heaven. No
Brad
May 06, 2010 Brad rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, speculative
The concept behind Ubik is as brilliant as any of Philip K. Dick's ideas.

Glen Runciter is dead, or maybe he's not. All the people who work for him in his anti-paranormal "Prudence Organization" are dead, or maybe they're not. But even if they're dead (having been attacked by the big Kahuna of paranormal activity), they're being kept in half-life at a Swiss cryogenic facility where they may now be under attack from a soul predator who sucks the vitality out of their half-life, devouring them to
Bryce Wilson
Jun 27, 2008 Bryce Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, sci-fi
My favorite PKD book. No mean feat considering I've read it five or six times and still barely have an understanding of what the hell is going on in the first third of the book.

Still once things get metaphysical it becomes a flat out masterpiece. Rarely has Dick's vision of the apocalypse of atrophy been given such a stirring rendition. Like Palmer Eldritch this is the story of the apocalypse on an internal scale rather then the usual external one, and its pretty freaking tremendous.
Sarah Anne
4.5 stars. I honestly can't decide between 4 and 5! I'm very disappointed that I didn't discover Dick long ago. He's an amazing author and I've loved everything I've read so far. This one was a mind-bender and it was absolutely fascinating. I also loved the end :)
Estelle
Weird and brilliant. I'm pretty sure it will turn into a 5 stars and favorite once I reread it. Right now, my mind is still trying to put all the pieces together.
Marco Tamborrino
"Io sono vivo, voi siete morti."

Ascoltate un attimo. Ognuno di noi ha una concezione di realtà differente. Se le varie concezioni di realtà si mischiassero, cosa ne uscirebbe? Un miscuglio di realtà. Una non-realtà. È difficile da spiegare. In sintesi, potremmo aver fondato tutte le nostre vite su un'illusione che comprende ogni cosa che ci circonda. Quindi occorre uscirne. O tentare di guarire da questa scoperta dall'illusione. Nasce quindi Ubik. Vedete, Ubik è ogni cosa. Potrebbe essere Dio.
Fewlas
Dec 13, 2011 Fewlas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americana
Il filosofo spagnolo George Santayana disse: “L’esser sani non è che pazzia tesa al buon uso, la vita da svegli è un sogno sotto controllo”.

A volte, mentre senza farci troppo caso, si vive inerzialmente la propria vita, capita ad un certo punto che ci si blocchi, afferrati da un atroce dubbio.. Almeno, capita a me. E mi chiedo, quasi inconsapevolmente, se davvero esisto, se la materialità che avverto intorno a me sia reale.

In questi momenti, che amo etichettare come “epifanie”, avverto la mia c
Kat  Hooper
Jul 03, 2011 Kat Hooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Warning: Use only as directed. And with caution.

Written in 1969, Ubik is one of Philip K. Dick’s most popular science fiction novels. It’s set in a future 1992 where some humans have develop psi and anti-psi powers which they are willing to hire out to individuals or companies who want to spy (or block spying) on others. Also in this alternate 1992, if you’ve got the money, you can put your beloved recently-deceased relatives into “coldpac” where they can
Mohnish
Oct 03, 2014 Mohnish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What hallucinating narcotic stimulants had PKD been on while writing this wicked metaphysical novel shall remain an obscure affair like most of the enigmatic events occurring in this mind-fucking piece of genius i.e Ubik. One can only conjecture that he was getting some good shit. Maybe something like those drugs in Limitless or Lucy. How cynical of me? The guy had genuine amazing talent for which I should be admiring him. Ubik with its compound chills & thrills is one hell of a ride.

Welcom
Hertzan Chimera
Feb 25, 2008 Hertzan Chimera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ubik is a brilliant book mixing horror with humour in such a deep and poignant way. What I was most inspired by were the chapter headings, those little UBIKverts - this was a concept I butchered for self-marketing purposes back in the Hertzan Chimera daze:

UBIQUITOUSLY, HERTZAN CHIMERA

Hertzan Chimera Vaseline
The best way to ask for vaseline is to sing out Hertzan Chimera. Made from select goose grease, morons, slow-aged for perfect smoothness, Hertzan Chimera is the nation's number-one choice i
Nate D
Nov 25, 2011 Nate D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: telepaths in cold-pac
Recommended to Nate D by: the subtext of television comercials
Completely absurd yet simultaneously existentially terrifying, this deals very well with one of Dick's foremost recurring themes: the instability, or indefiniteness, or just fundamental inaccuracy of assumptions about reality. Not that I've actually seen it, but in some ways this seems to be a predecessor of what I understand to be the plot of Jacob's Ladder: a group of people whose time seems to be running out in a disquieting manner with deep implications towards their actual state of existenc ...more
Miquel Codony
Dec 16, 2014 Miquel Codony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leído para comentarlo en el The Spoiler Club #8.

Ya lo había leído en el instituto, pero casi no me acordaba de nada, solo de que me gustó y que me pareció un lío. Ahora lo he leído en versión original, me ha gustado pero le he visto más problemas, y no me ha parecido nada confuso.

El tramo inicial me parece escrito con prisa e impaciencia, y de hecho por él le he escatimado una estrella. Es aquí donde más se le nota la edad, y no lo digo por la poca capacidad de previsión tecnológica de Dick. Eso
Sentimental Surrealist
Fans of various other sci-fi authors might wonder why I give Philip K. Dick a pass for his characterization (which isn't so much poor as it is that he recycles the same set of characters) and dodgy gender politics where I discredit novelists like Stephenson (who I like regardless), Gibson (who I like regardless) and Heinlein (who I don't like). There's a very simple answer to that: Philip K. Dick wrote Ubik. If Snow Crash was as good as Ubik, I'd have no issue with the fact that it runs more on ...more
Kibisis
Aug 29, 2014 Kibisis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ubik E':
Apparecchio elettrico. Birra di Cleveland. Caffè tostato. Condimento per insalate. Digestivo. Rasoio. Pellicola extralucida. Consulente bancario. Balsamo per capelli. Deodorante spray. Sonnifero. Cibo per tostapane. Reggiseno. Pellicola quadristrato per alimenti. Dentifricio. Cereali tostati. Ed è anche... niente di tutto questo.

Perchè non ha forma né nome. Si trova in bomboletta, è vero, ma è solo l'involucro che serve a contenerne l'essenza. In un universo che tende in ogni modo a cost
Giuseppe
Se il buongiorno si vede dal mattino, questo 2012 si presenta ottimamente con una lettura scoppiettante.

Dopo essermi cimentato con Un oscuro scrutare, Le tre stimmate di Palmer Eldritch, La svastica sul sole, è arrivato il momento di affrontare uno dei capisaldi della narrativa dickiana: Ubik.

A detta di molti è il capolavoro di Dick. Onestamente ho preferito "Le tre stimmate di Palmer Eldritch". Ma usare il verbo preferire è ingiusto, visto che stiamo parlando di due capolavori che hanno diversi
❅ Eze ❅
Dec 13, 2015 ❅ Eze ❅ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aburrido de la realidad aparente? Cansado de hacerse las mismas preguntas una y otra vez como: Por que estamos aqui? y Hacia donde vamos?
Pruebe el nuevo Ubik y diga adios a la rutina monotona!

Advertencia, el uso excesivo no ha sido estudiado en profundidad. No utilizar cerca de mujeres embarazadas o personas con marcapasos.
Manipular con guantes. En raras ocasiones se a visto desencadenada combustion espontanea entre los usuarios.

Perdon, perdon. Tenia que sacar eso de mi sistema. Que me parecio e
Christopher
I read recently that one shouldn't read more than one PKD novel a month. It is simply difficult to deal with the mind bending nature of his novels in back to back doses. I promptly ignored that advice and began reading Ubik immediately after finishing Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Having now finished the pure insanity that is Ubik, I may find myself repeating that advice to others.

The instant you feel that you have a grasp on exactly what is going on, PKD drops you another hit of acid an
M.L. Rudolph
Feb 08, 2012 M.L. Rudolph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1969. Written five years before PKD experienced his 2-3-74 vision which he then spent the rest of his life exploring, researching, recording, challenging, buttressing, re-examining, and relating to his body of work.

Ubik--you'll have to read the book to get the meaning of the term--unspools in a future (1992)Dickian world where corporations are interplanetary, the government is global, communication is by fixed-line vidphones, and telepaths, inertials, and precogs read telepathic aura. Oh, and t
David
May 08, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a hilarious--and horrifying science fiction story! The story starts in the year 1992--23 years after the book was written. Companies hire psychics for commercial purposes, while their competitors hire anti-psychics. Commercialism is rampant--you have to deposit a nickel to use the door to your own apartment! When people die, they can be placed "in a cold pack" and set to a moratorium where they enter into a "half-life". In half-life, they can talk with their still-living relatives. But thei ...more
Blue
Aug 02, 2015 Blue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, tfg, 2015, 5-stars
Mind blown in a trippy way similar to what I felt after watching Inception (I wouldn't be surprised if the latter was inspired by the former). Definitely my favorite PKD novel to date.
Spoiler Filled Discussion of the book. 17 467 Dec 10, 2015 01:37AM
Philip K Dick: Ubik' ending 11 352 Sep 15, 2015 06:55PM
The Filipino Group: This topic has been closed to new comments. [F2F Book Discussions] August 2015: Ubik by Philip K. Dick | Moderator: Angus 338 100 Aug 22, 2015 08:49AM
SciFi and Fantasy...: "Ubik" Final Thoughts *Spoilers* 36 182 Mar 08, 2014 11:04AM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Edition, Don't Know Right One 2 28 Jan 30, 2014 10:48AM
  • The Demolished Man
  • Paradyzja
  • Bring the Jubilee
  • The Complete Roderick
  • Roadside Picnic
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for best novel of the year in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Philip K. Di ...more
More about Philip K. Dick...

“He felt all at once like an ineffectual moth, fluttering at the windowpane of reality, dimly seeing it from outside.” 38 likes
“I am Ubik. Before the universe was, I am. I made the suns. I made the worlds. I created the lives and the places they inhabit; I move them here, I put them there. They go as I say, then do as I tell them. I am the word and my name is never spoken, the name which no one knows. I am called Ubik, but that is not my name. I am. I shall always be.” 29 likes