Start by marking “ZOOM: The Global Race to Fuel the Car of the Future” as Want to Read:
ZOOM: The Global Race to Fuel the Car of the Future

ZOOM: The Global Race to Fuel the Car of the Future

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  19 reviews
ZOOM takes listeners inside the global race to build the car of the future, as pioneers in Japan, India, China, and the USA tackle the challenge of creating automobiles that will run on cleaner energy sources.

The authors write: "Oil is the problem. Cars are the solution." We are living in the midst of a Great Awakening in which environmentalists, entrepreneurs, and politi
Published October 1st 2007 by Twelve (first published June 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about ZOOM, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ZOOM

Max
I had mixed feelings on this book. The future of energy is obviously a topic that I'm really interested in. And, as the authors both write for the Economist, I figured it would be well written, knowledgeable and informative. It was informative and fairly knowledgeable, but surprisingly poorly written. I think the main problem stemmed from the fact that it was written by two authors. The reason I say this is that the authors had an irritating tendency to repeat themselves (or, more likely, each o ...more
Sunlita
Jun 25, 2008 Sunlita rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: five-stars-books
Well, I really interested in 'future energy' and this book is absolutely in my shopping list. (I hope I can buy, or get it soon).. Looks like it's contain a 'pro-and-contra' stuffs, really fascinating and challenging to read.

finally, I have bought this book at Kinokuniya, 209.000 IDR, worth the price, yes. I'll write some review about this book later, after I finish reading it.
getAbstract
Why you want to run your cars on something other than oil

Authors Iain Carson and Vijay V. Vaitheeswaran depict “Big Oil” and “Big Auto” as the engines behind much of the world’s climate problem. Rather than condemn both, they look ahead and describe how China or the U.S., with the help of major car manufacturers, could lead the way to an oil-free future. They understand that personal transportation is too beneficial to dismiss out of hand, but that it must change. They acknowledge that the worl
Craig
Some thoughts on Zoom: The Global Race to Fuel the Car of the Future.

This 2007 book is written by two correspondents for The Economist, and provides a US-centric view of the geopolitical and economic forces that link Big Oil and Big Auto, and of the potential for a hydrogen economy to resolve the environmental issues surrounding the burning of fossil fuels. The first six chapters provide a (rather disjointed) overview of the history of cars and oil companies, and the efforts that these industrie
Quadradix
Some thoughts on Zoom: The Global Race to Fuel the Car of the Future.

Jeffrey
I very much enjoyed this read. The authors, who are writers for The Economist, generate a great overview of the history of the oil and automobile industry... and their interdependecy.

They appear to not have a particular axe to grind. And they let us know why were are where we are in terms of dependence on oil. They give good insight into the option going forward as oil and gas have reached hisorical highs and the fact that we may just have reach peak oil production.

They certainly reinforce long
Kristian
I was hoping that this book would be an insight into all that is happening in alternative fuels and into what we can expect from automobiles in the near and distant future... instead it was mostly a history of the American Automobile and Oil industry... It was worth my reading considering my interests and desire for knowledge in these areas, however, it was fairly redundant and basically regurgitating of facts and economic figures. If you really care about cars and alt. fuels this might be worth ...more
Tin Wee
This book gives a good history of how the oil and automobile industry first developed almost in sync in the US, and later how the oil industry started its decline when the US became a net importer. The car industry however continued its progress until the Japanese companies entered the picture. Leaner, innovative, and less hobbled by unions, the Japanese have more or less dominated the global car industry. Going ahead. the book argues that the production of green cars will move the world away fr ...more
Mike
Nov 05, 2009 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the green revolution
This is a good book on the future of fuel for our cars -- electricity, ethanol, gas, natural gas, etc. I was fascinated with the history of why we came addicted to oil, including when Franklin D Roosevelt went to Saudi Arabia to promise we will defend them if they promise to alway give us oil (at the end of WWII). I was amazed that Saudi Arabia can produce oil for less than $2/barrel. So when prices get to high and alternative fuels start looking good, they can drop prices.

I learned that hydroge
Claire
Listened to the abridged audio version of this and really enjoyed it. The book offers a balanced look at the history behind our addiction to oil, some glimpses of amazing new technology and an optimistic(!) yet cautionary conclusion and call to arms. It is narrated by one of the authors, Vijay Vaitheeswaran, and I enjoyed his presentation. Plus, I met Vijay a couple of years ago when he was on campus for a faculty event and I had my picture taken with him - how cool is that? :)
Ali Prendergast
May 07, 2008 Ali Prendergast marked it as to-read
The authors of this book have written for the Economist for a long time. I saw the book on a table and picked it up, and then let a friend borrow it (a friend who, I'm sure, will never read it **sigh**). I just heard one of the authors on the NewsHour and he was really interesting. For example, he talked about how there "is no real scarcity of oil." fascinating. enlightening. tell me more Mr. Vaitheeswaran.
Here's the interview:
Allen
Dec 12, 2007 Allen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the oil challenge
There are many new ways to think about the way cars will eventually change. Oil (gasoline) and the market that is shaping or driving (no pun intended) the development of personal transportation is really open to many paths. Really sheds some light on different aspects of the problem and how different countries, corporations and energy producers are dealing with it.
Jim
I listened to this as a Bot as well as read it in book form. Found it to be interesting,insightful and covered a wide range of developing transportation technology.

This is an area I know little that it gave me a nice background in this area.
Ellis
I read this book within the month, and I already barely remember it. What does that tell you? (Hopefully it doesn't tell you that I'm dumb and have no long-term memory. Wait, that IS it.... Crap!)
Ellen
I thought that I would find this subject matter interesting, but I confess I didn't make it all the way through this book. I bet I'd love it as a documentary!
Jeremy Stephens
yep. it was about oil.yep. pretty boring. i learned a bit about the history of the auto industry which is the only reason this didn't get a lower rating. yep
jon
I particularly loved the suggestions for creating a society that relies on alternative energy solutions especially for automobiles.
Michelle
Very informative book on oil, and the ties between the auto and oil industries and what is next for powering cars.
Sara Phelps
Very interesting and informative, though it felt like a textbook at times.
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Terhi
Terhi marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Thomas Andrew
Thomas Andrew is currently reading it
Oct 25, 2014
Hildy
Hildy marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Zoom: The Global Race to Fuel the Car of the Future ZOOM: The Global Race to Fuel the Car of the Future