Start by marking “The Space Between” as Want to Read:
The Space Between

The Space Between

Just dumped by his girlfriend, Jace Antonakos has recorded a proclamation in a notebook his English teacher made him take on his winter vacation to the Mayan Riviera: I’m going to Mexico to get laid. The fact that he’s only days away from turning 18 and still a virgin has Jace spooked, and he figures that Playa del Carmen’s golden beaches draped with equally golden girls s ...more
Published August 13th 2007 by HarperTrophy (first published August 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Space Between, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Space Between

Rebecca McNutt
May 07, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it liked it
I love books that mention Nova Scotia; this province is a beautiful place. So, when I read the summary, I immediately wanted to buy this book. It turned out my school library had it (they're really into supporting local authors), and I borrowed it.

Jace's laid-back attitude (literally, he wants to go to Mexico to "get laid") and devil-may-care antics create a personality that many teens can relate to, and as the book goes on, he turns out to not be such a jerk after all. My problem was with the w
May 30, 2015 Bee rated it it was amazing
"I'm going to Mexico to get laid."

Well hello there, Jace! Way to introduce yourself.

After reading that first line, I was totally expecting an American Pie style holiday extravaganza. But it is actually quite a poignant and intriguing read.
Jace goes on holiday with his mother, aunt and his younger brother who has a form of autism. They carry a heavy burden with them, which we slowly learn about throughout the novel. And it is a heavy, heavy burden.
So what is at first glance a "boy wants to mee
Nov 29, 2008 Marsha rated it it was amazing
What a great read. What I loved about it was the honest voice. From the first line (I'm going to Mexico to get laid) I was hooked and I was solidly in Jace's shoes. Everything about this book rings true and the journey Aker takes us on is unexpected and satisfying. A compelling story that on the surface is about a teen wanting to lose his virginity on a holiday in Mexico but underneath it's about so much more than that. I don't want to give it away, so won't say more. Now I'm going to get The Fi ...more
Kevin Foley
Feb 08, 2013 Kevin Foley rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2013 Me rated it it was ok
"The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation."

And because I frankly do not care what goes on in someone's bedroom, the book was ruined.

It starts off with "I'm going to Mexico to get laid". And I quite frankly didn't care. So I resigned myself to a long and boring novel where the guy tries to get the girl simply for sex. However because Don Aker is a good author I thought there might be a glimmer of hope.

There was, but one character was gay and didn't want to come out of the closet.
Mar 29, 2013 Rae added it
Shelves: 2008
Reactions: Ok.. Except for Droughtlanders, I'm almost sure that all the White Pine will be mainly in first person. I am kinda freaked out, but I'll get by!

The main character for this novel is Jace. An interesting name eh? Well it's greek and he's on a trip with his aunt, mom and autistic brother to Mexico! Oh! The beaches! The warmth! And as JAce sees it, the girls. The first sentence of this hilarious book is:

I'm going to Mexico to get laid.

Or along those lines.

It's not what you expect but it
Oct 29, 2013 Joanna rated it really liked it
I wasn’t really certain what I wanted this book to be when I picked it up. I’m glad that I didn’t try to fit it into a label, because I realized after reading it that it wouldn’t have gone. The Space Between had excellent plot twists that took the book from being about sex to romance to friendship to loss to everything in between (note the reference to the book title). The complex characters also added realism to what was an already suspenseful plot. I enjoyed exploring the layers that everyone ...more
Contemporary, truthful. Guy novel. He has the 18 yr old guy character down right. My criticism would be easy enough to guess the 'secrets' troubling several of the characters. The big 'reveal' at the end doesn't pack much of a punch. Graphic description of suicide death when found might make some queasy - not easy to read.
Petra Willemse
Oct 10, 2016 Petra Willemse rated it really liked it
I was pleased this didn't turn out to be a typical teen romp along the beach. Some serious topics and difficult subject matter made this a challenging read for any age.
Sep 20, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, glbtq
After his girlfriend dumps him Jace makes a decision: he not only going to celebrate his 18th birthday, he is going to lose his virginity on his family vacation to the Mayan the Mayan Riviera. His plans are complicated by the presence of his mother, aunt and autistic brother, his feelings for his new friend Kate and the secret his family has been keeping.
This book, which was an honour book for the 2008 CLA YA Book of the year shares certain themes with Mistik Lake, particularly in terms of the b
Dec 05, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing
I read this book a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it! It's funny and relatable, and I personally think for all ages. An added bonus to reading this book was that I re-discovered the author. I read "The First Stone" by Don Aker a few years ago by recommandation from my grade 9 english teacher and I loved it, but never thought of it again today until I went on goodreads and saw that the same author wrote both books. I've gotten a little off topic here, but what I'm getting at is try read ...more
Oct 15, 2012 Joyce rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book--good writing, good character development, believable characters & situations. The book starts out pretty dramatically and humourously (first line: "I'm going to Florida to get laid"), but moves past the attempts to bed a girl and gets quite serious and thought-provoking as the novel progresses. The main character reassesses his relationships with family & friends, including his brother's suicide and the discovery that a friend is gay. Great--but potentially vo ...more
Mandy Brouse
Aug 12, 2009 Mandy Brouse rated it liked it
I think that Don Aker took one of those creative writing classes which teach you to open your book with a bang:

I’m going to Mexico to get laid.

And he does. Well, he has strong intentions. What soon-to-be-turning eighteen year-old Jace doesn’t know is that life has a way of churning up the best intentions, leaving him to sort through what’s left.

Read the rest on my blog:
Wow!! I'm surprised how much I liked this book. It wasn't really what I expected, but that kinda made me love it more. It has everything I like in a novel. My friend picked this book out for me and I'm really happy I decided to get it. If you're into guy perspective novels, definitely check this one out!
Jul 17, 2011 Ceara rated it really liked it
From when I first opened this book, I thought it was going to be all about his escapades in trying to get laid. But this book was full of emotion and took a surprising turn, which changed the course the story completely. I really enjoyed it.
I recommend Aker's other book "The First Stone" over this one. This wasn't a bad read, but it wasn't as compelling as The First Stone, and I wasn't completely satisfied with the ending.
Jul 03, 2015 katiee!!! rated it really liked it
Very Very good book. It shocked me at some parts because it had some very unexpected turns. Also very sad too. If you haven't read it i highly suggest it !
Miles F
Feb 18, 2014 Miles F rated it it was amazing
An awesome coming-of-age novel about secrets and being true to one's self. This is one of those books that I enjoy reading time and again, absolutely awesome!
Aug 08, 2010 Kevin rated it really liked it
The main character is a portrait of the average teenager. In essence, after reading this story for whitepine club I have to admit, it was decent.
Jul 31, 2012 Rayliene rated it it was amazing
At first I thought it started out funny, but it turned quite serious as the book went on. Amazing though, highly recommend it.
Alex marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
Emma rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2016
James Jackson
James Jackson marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Stefanie marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
N rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2016
Sophie marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Mona added it
Jul 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Tribes
  • The Droughtlanders (Triskelia, #1)
  • Search of the Moon King's Daughter
  • La Route de Chlifa
  • The Monkeyface Chronicles
  • Angeline
  • Wild Orchid
  • No Escape (Chloe & Levesque, #6)
  • True Confessions of a Heartless Girl
Born in 1955 in Windsor, Nova Scotia, Don Aker grew up in rural Hants County. He later attended Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia, where he received his Bachelor of Arts (1976), Bachelor of Education (1977), and Master of Education (1991) degrees. He has been a classroom teacher since 1977, and he currently works as Literacy Mentor for the Annapolis Valley Regional School Board. The fath ...more
More about Don Aker...

“And I'm reminded just how quickly life can change.” 8 likes
“You know the hurt is coming, but there's this reprieve just long enough to get your hopes up, to make you think that maybe, just maybe, this time you dodged it. But then it comes anyway.” 8 likes