Start by marking “Thoughts for Young Men” as Want to Read:
Thoughts for Young Men

Thoughts for Young Men

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  566 ratings  ·  56 reviews
I Heartily Endorse It!" .... and strongly commend it to both Christian leaders and fathers, not to mention older and younger men alike."-John MacArthur, Jr. "Ryle Is Magnificent! There's no other word for it. ...are you brave enough to face hard-hitting truth and have God search your heart on things that matter most? Then Ryle is the man for you! Do yourself a favor -read ...more
Published August 23rd 2007 by Calvary Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Thoughts for Young Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thoughts for Young Men

Brent McCulley
Few books can touch the reader's generation with profound biblical insights and practical theological exhortations - still fewer can do this not only for the generation wherein it was written, but a generation hundreds of years removed from its original publication!

J.C. Ryle is a beloved favorite, and this short treatise is further evidence of his careful and scrupulous study making sure every action is aligned with God's Word. Ryle's clarion call to young men is so fantastically pertinent for y
James
All young men should read this
Dominic
The following book is divided into the following chapters:

(view spoiler)
Ivan
This book is a short yet passionate plea of a man in the latter years of life to young men. Though written about a hundred years ago, this booklet is full of truths that are no less relevant today.

The books is divided into four sections with a conclusion. In section one, Ryle begins with reasons for his exhorting young men. In section two, he then focuses on five specific dangers which young men to be warned of (e.g. pride, the love of pleasure, the fear of man’s opinions, etc.). In section thre
Danial
Caleb
Very good advice, practically and scripturally. The tone is a little heavier than a lot of modern young readers will be used to, but it was written to a different audience. This isn't a bad thing, but such frankness with the absense of lightheartedness will be evident.
Philip
Excellent "sermonette" on the dangers of youth, urging young men to pursue the Lord and live a godly life, despite the difficulties. Bishop J.C. Ryle's convicting exhortations should lead to soul-searching and Spirit-guided self-examination not only for young readers, but for middle-aged and old as well. Don't let your youth hinder your faith, and don't use it as an excuse not to pursue holiness. Know and fight your sin, know and love Christ, understand the importance of your soul, immerse yours ...more
Derrick Ochago
Its hard to believe that this book was written in the 1800's. It's so applicable. I can totally relate with the kind of men J.C Ryle is talking to. Those who love pleasure, don't take religion seriously, don't give thought to the state of their souls and are proud.
This small book came at the right time and left me thinking a lot about the kind of life I am living as a young Christian man.

I think every Christian of this age will benefit from this book. Boy or Man, Woman or Girl, Pastor, Priest.
Kelli Christenberry
Ryle is straight forward and in great earnest in his writing and addresses to young men; he writes to those who are willing to hear wisdom and reason; he believes them capable of choosing wisely under the pressures of life and temptations thrown at them by a very deliberate enemy; he wants them not to be blind or unaware. It is serious and weighty most definitely. It is written in outline format and pretty scholastic and with older language and structure which makes it more formal and feel more ...more
John
This is the first Ryle book I have read and it won't be the last. I thought this book would be something I could use for my four boys and it turns out, it is something I needed. The gentle, fatherly tone of the book spoke to my own heart about the need for humility and concern for my personal walk with Christ. Ryle reminds young men of the necessity of living in the present what you hope to be in the future. We tend to trivialize sin, and Ryle recommends waging war with all our might in our pers ...more
Wade
Ryle writes in his typical, direct and honest style by strongly encouraging young people (but, really anyone of any age for that matter) to fix their eyes on Christ in all things.
Dana Milyo
Great Book.

Just finished reading aloud to my 12 year old as part of our homeschool curriculum. Perfect, inspiring message. Two more words...
Lorna
Even though I'm not a young man, our Pastor recommended it to us so I read it :) full of profound biblical insights and well worth reading- for anyone! :)
Patrick
I found this book very helpful. Not sure I can consider myself a "young man" anymore but I am charged with teaching young men and the insights of Bishop Ryle were spot on. His style of writing is so fluid it is extremely easy to work through tons of material in a short amount of time. Now I will probably reread to ensure that these thoughts stay fixed in my brain. Thank God for men such as this!
Carl Hesler
Read it again in February 2015. Practical, encouraging, convicting, pithy, wise.
D
Read this once a year!
Bill
This book can easily be read by both genders. J.C. Ryle addresses areas of our lives that pertain to both boys and girls and men and women.

We NEVER stop being tempted by the 'Evil One'.

It is interesting how the difficulties facing our lives are the same from generation to generation; from century to century.

I guess that is because we face basically the same trials and tribulations today in the 21 Century that our ancestry faced in the nineteenth century when J.C. Ryle penned this book.
Allen Tsai
I wish I read this 15 years ago. In this short book, Ryle powerfully exhorts the young to consider their lives before the face of God. He economically navigates through key areas of the Christian life we all, young and old, should carefully give attention to. Ryle's skillful use of memorable illustrations and word pictures make the biblical truths communicated indelible. I would readily commend this to those who have just come to faith or need to be recharged to press on.
Aaron Kleinheksel
I loved it and wish I'd read it when I was young - it may have saved me some grief in life. I plan on passing it to my son to read this summer (he's about to enter Middle School). This is an old book, but this edition cleans up the somewhat archaic 19th century language so that the book reads like it was written recently. It was also written originally in England, so some of the cultural-specific references were modified to adapt this edition to a wider audience. Highly recommend.
Ethan
A wonderful book that all young men should read, and actually I don't think that the lessons in it apply only to young men. But to any Christian trying to walk as a Christian, the only reason that it is addressed to young men is because on the whole it is young men who are the biggest trouble and need to learn these lessons the most.

(I actually finished this book a few days ago, but only just got the chance to get on Goodreads, these last few days have been monstrously busy.)
Dennes
Oct 04, 2007 Dennes rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Men
ufff! OK, so here are a few quotes from the book, so you get an idea of how good it really is...

1) Young men, young men, I wish you did but know the comfort of a conscience not burdened with a long list of youthful sins. These are the wounds that pierce the deepest. These are the arrows that drink up a man's spirit.

2)"Pleasure, must first have the warrant, that it be without sin- then the measure, that it be without excess." Says Adams on Second Peter.
Daniel
Ryle's wisdom in this book is timeless. It's hard to know what age group he would consider "young men" to be, but in today's age of extended adolescence, the book rings true well into the 20s and early 30s. Although we face at least a few considerably different modes of temptation today, the fact that his message is centered squarely on Christ and the gospel makes it beneficial for all young men who would take heed.
Gordon Alley
This was a great book for not just young men but also for all men from all walks of life and all ages of life. J.C. Ryle was a preacher and writer with great depths and Scripture-packed writings. This is a short read but every reader may suffer distractions as the Truths contained will be hindered with a Spiritual battle from the enemy. I heartily recommend this read.
Matt Adams
Short read, but some really solid advice.
David
This is an excellent book not only for young men but for any believer in Christ. Everything Ryle says applies today and the urgency of his exhortations is fitting. I was convicted in the reading and would be proud to have my own sons someday give it a hearty "Amen". This one is a treasure.
Sean Higgins
It's prolly a sin that I was in youth ministry (either as a youth or as a leader or as a pastor) for a couple decades and never read this book. I heard about it now can urge it firsthand. A clear, urgent, bible-laden admonition to young men.
Eric
I thought this was a good book with some good points not just for young men. A challenge to live for God and to break off everything that lead us away from God. I would read this with my young men. Wish I had done that with my older two.
Argin Gerigorian
Phenomenal!

I remember reading this about 2 years ago and I was convicted to the bone. I would carry it around every where and recommend it to all my friends. Now I highly recommend it to you...cyber friends! :)

Nicholas
This book was amazing, it's just full of So much Godly wisdom, that I will be applying to My life and I will be using this book as a tool in raising My son's when I have some anyway.
  • Future Men
  • The Exemplary Husband: A Biblical Perspective
  • Boyhood and Beyond: Practical Wisdom for Becoming a Man
  • The Fruit of Her Hands: Respect and the Christian Woman
  • The Masculine Mandate: God's Calling to Men
  • Keeping the Heart (Puritan Classics)
  • All Things for Good
  • Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World
  • A Theology of Christian Counseling: More Than Redemption
  • The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment
  • What He Must Be: If He Wants to Marry My Daughter
  • Apostate
  • Always Ready: Directions For Defending The Faith
  • The Mortification of Sin
J. C. Ryle was a prominent writer, preacher, and Anglican clergyman in nineteenth-century Britain. He is the author of the classic Expository Thoughts on the Gospels and retired as the bishop of Liverpool.
More about J.C. Ryle...
Holiness A Call to Prayer The Duties Of Parents Practical Religion Expository Thoughts on the Gospels: 4 Volumes

“Young men, I beseech you earnestly, beware of pride. Two things are said to be very rare sights in the world— one is a young man that is humble, and the other is an old man that is content. I fear that this is only too true.” 4 likes
“Tomorrow is the devil's day, but today is God's. Satan does not care how spiritual your intentions are, or how holy your resolutions, if only they are determined to be done tomorrow.” 3 likes