Start by marking “Say Cheese, Medusa! (Myth-O-Mania, #3)” as Want to Read:
Say Cheese, Medusa! (Myth-O-Mania, #3)

Say Cheese, Medusa! (Myth-O-Mania #3)

What a myth-o-maniac (old Greek-speak for liar)! Zeus's version of the myths is completely wrong. It's time to set the record straight. For the first time ever, Hades, King of the Underworld, reveals the true story behind the myths.This laugh-out-loud series of fractured Greek myths by best-selling author Kate McMullan is irreverent, irresistible, and totally twisted.That ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Hyperion Books

Jakey
Feb 21, 2015 Jakey rated it it was amazing
In Chapter 1, Persephone gave Hades a wallet so like if he had something way oversized -- way too big, way too small -- then he could put it in the wallet and it would get to the normal size. The wallet grows to put the thing in and then shrinks down so he can carry it around. Then he takes the thing out and it goes to its regular size.
T.F.
Jun 22, 2011 T.F. rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, middle-grade
Sara Thompson
Sep 29, 2011 Sara Thompson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This third book in the Myth-O-Manic series from Capstone Kids is phenomenal. The "true" story of Medusa and Perseus as told by Hades. It's not accurate to the original myth but a great introduction to Greek Myths for young children.
The story starts with Hades spending a night with his brothers Zeus and Posiden. "Po" wants to picnic with some moon goddesses at Athena's new temple. When Athena finds out, she curses the moon goddesses turning them into gorgons.
Later that night, Hades discovers Dan
Brandy
Aug 07, 2011 Brandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hades, the god of the Underworld, is here to set the stories behind the legendary myths straight in this series. You see Zeus, the guy who likes to pass on the myths that we are familiar with, loves to stretch the truth. He always tweaks the story to be flattering to himself and his family members.

In Say Cheese, Medusa, Hades gives us the real story behind Perseus' childhood and "heroic" deeds. He also tells the true story of how Medusa came to be "Gorgonized" and given her stony curse. It invo
Reading Vacation
Jun 11, 2011 Reading Vacation rated it it was amazing
We are all familiar with Zeus’ version of Medusa’s story. Well, it turns out that Zeus is a bit of a myth-o-maniac, someone who spins wild myths that are not entirely true. Now it’s Hades chance to tell the REAL story of Medusa.

This time, the way Medusa and her sisters become Gorgons is entirely different. And you won’t believe how hair care products play into the story. Hilarious! Even funnier, is what happens to Perseus when he goes after Medusa. Never has a Greek myth been so fun to read!

This
Donna
Mar 12, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing
I laughed and laughed throughout this book! Greek myths told as they really happened from the viewpoint of Hades himself. He corrects the misconceptions we all believe to be true because we heard the stories from his myth o maniac brother Zeus (the big fat liar).
Having a 10 year old son who is enthralled by Greek Mythology, we requested this book from NetGalley. My son laughed all through the story. "Hades is really a good guy after all, he tries to save Medusa."
We will be purchasing all the b
Abi
Nov 13, 2016 Abi rated it liked it
Meh. I liked it better than the last one. 3 stars. Very short.
Cela Esqueda
In Say Cheese, Medusa!,the Greek god Hades tells us a different version of the myth surrounding Medusa and her beheading. Using cornball humor and elaborating on the god’s personalities, Kate McMullan offers a refreshing take on Greek Mythology that will make students laugh and perhaps get students interested in obtaining more in-depth knowledge on Greek mythology.

As the narrator of this story, Hades gives us a different perspective on the events involving Perseus, Medusa and other Greek gods. H
Deana
My 10 year old niece borrowed two books in this series from the library here when she visited in early July, and since they were both still here well after she left, I decided to read them before taking them back to the library. It was a pretty cute book! I think I was a pretty "serious" reader when I was a kid and probably would have been amused by the humorous (sarcastic, as my niece said) tone of the book, but as an adult I was able to get past that a little, though it did still annoy me how ...more
An Abundance of Books
Featured at An Abundance of Books

I had high hopes for Say Cheese, Medusa! but unfortunately it just didn't work out. McMullan had the bones of a good retelling: the myth from the beginning of Medusa's curse to the end of Perseus's adventure; some humor, and some creative updating. But the updating got way-out of hand and gimmicky and the story was completely overwhelmed.

Poseidon and Zeus are portrayed as irresponsible party boys who follow the obnoxious frat boy stereotype. McMullan has replaced
Hao huang
Apr 20, 2013 Hao huang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myth-o-mania
Say Cheese, Medusa! Is the third series of Myth-O-Mania by Kate McMullan. This is about Medusa had been punished to become the gorgon by the spell of the jealous goddess Athena(she can’t stand Medusa’s beautiful hair because Athena doesn’t has good hair, so Athena had been mean to her) and at last Medusa can finally change back again.

This story begins after Hades and Persephone married together. Hades’ brother Po invited him to a party in Athena’s temple with the Medusa and her sisters (but Athe
Ashley
Loved it. Medusa outwits Athena to save both herself and her sisters. And Perseus, what a dweeb. He's like a mini metal Zeus, with less common sense.

Hades' perspective on the events is far better than any (totally, like, unfunny) story that Zeus can come up with on his best day. Rather than some dreary tale of poor Medusa being raped by Poseidon in Athena's temple and the wrathful goddess taking her hostility out on the innocent Medusa, we learn that is was, in fact, a mere beach party that foun
Amy (Books, College, and Other Random Things)
I'm reviewing this for NetGalley.

Say Cheese, Medusa! is the third book in the Myth-O-Mania series by Kate McMullan. This series is being reprinted.

The Myth-O-Mania series are written in Hades perspective because he says that his brother, Zeus, is a myth-o-manic (liar).

I've read and reviewed Nice Shot, Cupid, the fourth book. I liked this one better than the fourth one. I still find it irritating that Hades refers to his dog Cerberus as Cerbie and Persephone as P-Phone. Hades is the Lord of the U
Dolly
Aug 26, 2014 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
We are on a bit of a Greek mythology binge right now and our girls are fascinated by the characters and the stories. We are waiting for the next book in the Goddess Girls series, and in the meantime, we plan to read the books in the Myth-O-Mania series too. They are fun to read and have a youthful and humorous perspective that makes it simple for people to remember the various characters and their stories. We are balancing these fun tales off with more classic fare, like Favorite Greek Myths, so ...more
Cleffairy
Jun 10, 2011 Cleffairy rated it really liked it
Reviewed at: Over A Cuppa Tea
Date reviewed: 10 June 2011
Review link: http://cleffairy.com/?p=5483

A word of warning: Never ever read this book while drinking or snacking. You’d choke on your drinks or food. Why? The book is too funny that I’m sure you’d find it hard to resist the urge to laugh.

The mythologist will be going around tsk-ing at the twist, though. ‘Say Cheese, Medusa’ is not exactly the story where Perseus chopped off Medusa’s head and emerge a hero. It’s quite the other way around.
Kristen
Oct 07, 2011 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Impression:
How could I resist another funny tale about mythology from the amazing Kate McMullan? I couldn't.

While Reading:
Another book in the Myth-o-Maniac series, Hades is again the narrator and commentator on this tale of how Medusa got a headful of snakes. It was all because of a party after all. And an angry goddess of course.

These books are written in such a humorous way and definitely bring the myths down to more of an elementary level so that younger students can read these books. I
Alex
Feb 02, 2016 Alex rated it it was ok
Propbably the last installment of this series for me. I really liked the first book 'Have a hot time, Hades' and looked forward to continuing on but the second book already killed most of my enjoyment as Persephone, as the heroine of the second book, was getting on my nerves so much that I wanted to bang the book on a wall.
Now in 'Say Cheese, Medusa' Persephone had somewhat matured and was also only playing a minor role but Hades was just as studip and indecisive as before and thus let a lot of
Jackie
Dec 30, 2015 Jackie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Told from the point of view of Hades, God of the underworld, Say Cheese, Medusa is a tongue-in-cheek account of the Gorgons, Perseus, and Medusa (you know, the one with snakes for hair). In this version, events leading up to Perseus's beheading of Medusa are 'rearranged' to make the story more 'myth-like'. Full of humor and snarkiness, this Myth-O-Mania installment will appeal to kids on some level while on others, will confuse them.

Personally, not a fan.

Includes "King Hades's Quick-And-Easy Gu
Beth
Sep 05, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it
When the third graders learn about Ancient Greece, interest in the gods and goddesses is born. This interest continues in grades 4 and 5. Several fifth grade students suggested this title upon seeing it in a book catalog. While the story plays a little free with the "real" myths about the gods, it contains much of the original story, while being appropriate for youngsters. I believe it will be a popular title.
Miss Clark
Mj Uzumaki
Oct 25, 2012 Mj Uzumaki rated it it was amazing
Want to read more Myth-o-Maniac!! i just love love love ♥ anything that has to do with mythology., and im glad my fave Greek god Hades (aside from Cupid and Hephaestus) played a goody-goody guy for once! Well i don't think he's bad anyway:) ., This book made me smile and crack a lot., a fun way to read myths for kids and young at heart like me! ^_^
svm
Feb 07, 2012 svm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a v. cute kid's book. i picked it up after hearing a panel on greek mythology but already being a turophile, i was mostly inspired by the cheese references. v. creative. it's a definite divergence from the traditional tale, so not for purists, but if you can appreciate a good twist (perhaps of monterey jack & cheddar? sorry, couldn't resist), try a slice of this one!
readknitread
great book for kids/teens who like humor and mythology. Hades is out to tell the truth about well known myths. His brother Zeus might have fibbed a little to make himself look better. Read the story and be the judge!
Erin
Jul 07, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, fantasy
This was a cute story. I like it being from a Hades as a good guy point of view. I can see why kids would like it. I prefer my Greek gods and goddess with a little less cheese (no pun intended:)). P-Phone was especially irksome.
Bree
Jun 07, 2008 Bree rated it it was amazing
since i love greek myths, this book appealed to me and put a fun new twist on things. its a good junkfood read, if u know wat i mean
Jul 09, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
A humorous and engaging set-the-tale-straight story based on classic Greek myths. Recommended for grades 4 - 6.
Sasha Reinoso
Jan 31, 2011 Sasha Reinoso rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young readers
Funny little kids book that makes Greek mythology easier to follow. Of course it deviates from the standard stories, but it's just entertaining... If you don't mind the missing gore!
Rhonda
Jun 22, 2013 Rhonda rated it liked it
A clever book told from Hades' point of view, telling the "real" story behind popular Greek myths. It would be a good book to use with a mythology unit.
Athena
Aug 27, 2008 Athena rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Athena by: My sister
Talk about Greek Myths as you've never read them before! This book is the story of Medusa...sort of. I thought this book was hilarious, and I loved this take on Greek Mythology.
Meghna ✧
Sep 09, 2013 Meghna ✧ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-faves
one of my favourite books as a child ^____^ really got me into greek myths.
want to get my hands on the rest of the series for posterity's sake <3
  • Mystery at Blackbeard's Cove
  • The Shluffmuffin Boy Is History (Secrets of Dripping Fang, #5)
  • Artemis the Brave (Goddess Girls, #4)
  • Medusa Jones
  • Storm Called Katrina
  • 3 Below (Floors, #2)
  • The Sword of Armageddon (The New Kid, #3)
  • Franklin's Christmas Gift
  • Betrayal on Orbis 2 (The Softwire #2)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Night of Skulls (Sammy Keyes, #14)
  • Alias Dragonfly
  • Stickman Odyssey, Book 1: An Epic Doodle
  • Hollywood, Dead Ahead (43 Old Cemetery Road, #5)
  • Aphrodite's Blessings: Love Stories from the Greek Myths
  • Stories from the Growing Years (Grandma's Attic #10)
  • Bobby The Brave (Sometimes)
  • Z: Zombie Stories
  • 30 Days of Night: Night, Again

Myth-O-Mania (10 books)
  • Have a Hot Time, Hades! (Myth-O-Mania, #1)
  • Phone Home, Persephone! (Myth-O-Mania, #2)
  • Nice Shot, Cupid! (Myth-O-Mania, #4)
  • Stop That Bull, Theseus! (Myth-O-Mania, #5)
  • Keep a Lid on It, Pandora! (Myth-O-Mania, #6)
  • Get to Work, Hercules! (Myth-O-Mania, #7)
  • Go for the Gold, Atalanta! (Myth-O-Mania, #8)
  • Hit the Road, Helen! (Myth-O-Mania, #9)
  • Get Lost, Odysseus! (Myth-O-Mania, #10)

“Athena glared at Medusa. Beneath the bag, I was certain Medusa was glaring back. Athena glared at Medusa. Beneath the bag, I was certain Medusa was glaring back.” 0 likes