Start by marking “The Derring-Do Club and the Empire of the Dead (The Derring-Do Club, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Derring-Do Club and the Empire of the Dead (The Derring-Do Club, #1)

The Derring-Do Club and the Empire of the Dead (The Derring-Do Club, #1)

"Why can't saving the British Empire involve embroidery?" In a ripping yarn with everything from Austro-Hungarians to zombies, the world is under threat from evil forces. Luckily, the plucky Deering-Dolittle sisters, Earnestine, Georgina and Charlotte, are on hand to save the day. Unfortunately, they are under strict instructions to avoid any adventures... ...but when did ...more
Published October 23rd 2013 by Watledge Books

To ask other readers questions about The Derring-Do Club and the Empire of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Derring-Do Club and the Empire of the Dead

T. K. Elliott
Apr 02, 2016 T. K. Elliott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk, reviewed
Earnestine, Georgina and Charlotte are the three Deering-Dolittle sisters, banished to a Swiss boarding school because of Charlotte's reprehensible contact with the cadets from the boys' school near their last boarding school.

Earnestine is the eldest, and determined to look after the other two, and keep them on the straight and narrow path of proper young Victorian ladies (no exploring!).

Georgina isn't keen on exploring, and wants to get married and do embroidery. I liked Georgina the best (it
Miles Atkinson
Apr 03, 2016 Miles Atkinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Well, this was certainly not what I was expecting. It's a romp from start to finish but quite definitely a cut above the competition. There are moments of real horror (the staff and students of a girls' Swiss Finishing School slaughtered by zombies and their bodies piled up like firewood). The three Derring-Doolittle gels (Kent, not Surrey) face a nefarious Austro-Hungarian plot to take over London with an army of reanimated dead. From the Swiss mountains to the streets of Vienna and the skies ...more
Trish
Nov 25, 2014 Trish rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Steampunk, Adventure and Plucky Heroines
Shelves: steampunk
I picked this up as it was written by someone I was at university with, who I hadn't realised had become an author. So far it's a weird mixture of Victorian sensibilities, ripping yarns, dastardly Huns and zombies.
Christopher Everest
Once upon a time there were three girls ....Think rigidly-defined Victorian childhoods. Think bustles and crinolines. Think despicable Huns against the might of the British Empire and then superimpose a Charlie's Angels mentality on top of all that. Include a healthy dose of Zeppelins and Zombies and this fits perfectly into the Ripping Yarns category of fiction. Its fair to say that the two books in the series (so far) are reminiscent of the Lemony Snicket series and the Alan Bradley Buckshaw ...more
Jessica
Mar 27, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, gaslight
The first book I read by David Wake was 'I, Phone'. I enjoyed that, but this is much more up my street. It's an alternate history, steampunk take on late Victorian Europe. With zombies. It's great fun, and I really liked the central characters, three redoubtable girls who have an irrepressible urge to adventure.
It's very funny at times, but I also found it disturbing and upsetting (in a good way!). I was rather apprehensive as zombies aren't my thing, but this was an ingenious take on the trope.
Lorraine
Aug 31, 2014 Lorraine rated it really liked it
I was worried I might not like it because Zombies are not my thing. I needn't have worried, they didn't detract from the action and it rapidly became a page turner. A really enjoyable read. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Francesca T Barbini
Jul 30, 2014 Francesca T Barbini rated it really liked it
My first Steampunk book! I really enjoyed it; the characters were fun to follow and the story was well planned!
Margaret Billing
Margaret Billing rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2016
Marjorie U
Marjorie U rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2015
Lee McAulay
Lee McAulay rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Jack Turner
Jack Turner rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2015
Pat
Pat rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2015
David Offen-James
David Offen-James rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2016
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Darcie
Darcie marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Debbie Sheehan
Debbie Sheehan marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Alison Stegert
Alison Stegert marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Wanda
Wanda marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
David Wake
Nov 24, 2015 David Wake added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: written-by
Flick JW
Flick JW marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Verin
Verin marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Ivo Shmilev
Ivo Shmilev marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Zbyna
Zbyna marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
loisa
loisa added it
Nov 22, 2016
David Wake began writing for the theatre, winning a number of awards (and drinking lager out of one piece of silverware at the celebratory curry) and taking shows to London and the Edinburgh Fringe.

His novels are near-future SF and the Derring-Do Club steampunk series, as well as completing an MA in Writing at Birmingham City University receiving the year's screenwriting award.

He runs a couple of