Start by marking “Politics Lost: How American Democracy Was Trivialized By People Who Think You're Stupid” as Want to Read:

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  34 reviews
People on the right are furious. People on the left are livid. And the center isn’t holding. There is only one thing on which almost everyone agrees: there is something very wrong in Washington. The country is being run by pollsters. Few politicians are able to win the voters’ trust. Blame abounds and personal responsibility is nowhere to be found. There is a cynicism in W...more
Published April 18th 2006 by Doubleday (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Politics Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Politics Lost

Deborah
Klein describes how the business of polling and campaign advising has led most Presidential candidates to package and sell themselves rather than speak from the heart.
Emily
this is pure dead on, like.

not sure i'm with klein 100% politically, but that should be the last reason not to like someone's book, if it's thoughtfully and well written. and this one has none of the partisan bickering and hysterical witch-huntery about it. he's diagnosing the political disease we're all sick of having but are collectively doing very little about treating: the cynical, superficial and synthetic circles of PR- and TV-driven political life in the u.s. he gets at the media (tricky,...more
Karen
I am surprised at how much I like this book, not being a big fan of Joe Klein - I was even turned off right away at the title, feeling that the "Trivialized by People Who Think You're Stupid" part was the sensationalist political drivel of the consultant. But the book is much deeper than that and makes sense on so many levels. He profiles politicians of the last 50+ years, centering on how the growing dependence on political consultants and polls has cheapened the process. Mr. Klein has a fondne...more
Beth
Spare me the Reagan-envy Ds who sowed the seeds of 2008 w/the de-reg 90s. I'm glad I have it in hardback in case I run into Klein in person. The stupidity part of his thesis was ok; if he'd just stuck to that I'd have given 1-2 more stars. Hard to believe he wrote Primary Colors /and/ this dreck. Otoh, appreciate an insider view from the Clinton admin.
Brad
Feb 01, 2008 Brad rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone remotely interested in politics
Shelves: books-i-own
Klein's "Politics Lost" explains just how we have gone from enigmatic, free-thinking, leaders with the courage to stand up for what they believe in to followers who need focus groups, opinion polls, and surveys to tell them how they stand on certain issues. Klein's book points out everything that has gone wrong with American politics, mainly the political consultants. This quote from pg. 24 sums up what our country's leaders have become:

"Sadly most politicians [today] are neither risk-takers nor...more
Peter
Joe is definitely one of, if not the leading long-time American political journalists. Accordingly, I read this book to take a peek into the inner workings of our political system. This book is a snapshot in time of the American political spectrum and in particular presidential politics as detailed by a man who's had his finger on the pulse for many years.

The reader is offered an insiders view on how political messages are crafted, tested and delivered to the public. In addition, you will find y...more
Monte Lamb
Joe Klein is a savvy political writer who tells the story of how politics has been dumbed down since the late 1960's and how the system now works at the presidential campaign level. This book was published in 2006 and the final chapter is amazingly predictive(without trying to be so) of what happened at the end of the Bush years. The perpetual presidential campaign is not good for leading our country, but is how it works at this time. This book is very good and balanced on both major parties. I...more
Benji
The interesting thing about this book is that near the end, I discovered that it was likely the publisher that added the subtitle "How American Democracy was trivialized...". It must have been, because that bit of info is not to be found. If anything, it should have been "...by people who think [The Candidate] is stupid. That seems to be much more the gist of the book, how candidates have given too much power to their consultants rather than relying on their own hunches. Another example that the...more
haetmonger
i like the basic thesis, anyway -- that politicians should be more willing to take the positions on issues that they believe in, regardless public opinion. i see some people here are saying that it's a fairly banal point to make, which i sort of agree with, but at the same time, i think most mainstream political commentators tend to frame deviations from public opinion as mistakes, so i do think it's actually pretty refreshing to see somebody like klein, a reporter from as innocuous a publicatio...more
Ryan
This book was interesting as it retraced every presidential campaign from the last 40 years but it made me even more frustrated with our political system and the way it's run. Also, I can't believe George W. Bush got elected twice. That's the best the Republican party could do AND it was better than the democrats could do? Apparently it was. I kind of wish the book had more ideas on how to make things better or at least give me hope that it will. I did learn a lot about how campaigns are run and...more
Cathal
Joe Klein is a hack. There are a couple stories in this who's-who "insider" load of crap that are just plain wrong - the Edwards-Cheney's daughter incident turns into the Kerry-Cheney's daughter incident. Since I've read this, I've seen Klein do sloppy research over and over and over. He cuts corners. It's poorly researched, clubby, paparazzi, inside-the-beltway trash that turns into exactly what it claims to critique.
So there.
Sarah Walton
Sep 28, 2007 Sarah Walton rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: love leaders
I will be honest and say I was moved to tears a few times reading this book. I know, I know, I'm a sucker. But some of the Kennedy speeches, those that were given without preparation, without profiling the audience etc. It just made me so sad that we have lost this spirit in our presidential and local races. It's an inspiring book, and it will also leave you longing for what we've lost.
Mark
It was an interesting backside view of all the presidential campaigns since George Bush Sr. I enjoyed hearing about how campaigns are run and helped me understand some of the decisions that were made that seemed stupid up front. The title isn't very accurate because the author spent very little time on that subject.
Mollie
Sometimes fun, but obvious... and a tad hypocritical. Klein criticizes that favorite whipping boy, the mainstream media, for the sterilization and dumbing-down of contemporary politics. But of course, Klein is a member of the mainstream media, and he has certainly been a part of the problem he so vehemently decries.
Mike
This is much more intelligent and informative and worthwhile than the silly title would suggest. It's an insider history of the American political process in the television age. Not especially ideological or partisan, and not a rant, except maybe in the short final chapter. This is a good book.
Paul
Apr 09, 2008 Paul rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: R
This is my kinda book. The history of the post war spin doctors in the presidential political races. Very interesting on how they got these guys elected.

If you like politics and the inner workings of a political campaign, then this is an excellent book.
Kat Stromquist
I don't think Klein's thesis is quite clear here. But it is an interesting insider's look at campaign consultancy, and very readable. He'll always have a place in my heart...somewhere behind Paul Krugman.
Emily
Apr 22, 2010 Emily rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: politic lovers; Peter Bloom
Recommended to Emily by: Mr. Dollison
Shelves: nonfiction
"Any politican who can communicate strenght, originality, and a vibrant humanity - and who has the confidence to celebrate the occasional Turnip Day - probably will win...and so will we.
Jeff
Jun 17, 2007 Jeff is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone in Public Service, or Those Who Have Given Up on Politics
Things CAN be better, but it's going to take a hell of a lot of work to get there. This book is a good first step - it acknowledges the problem. Now all we need is to figure out the next 11 steps!
Luke Chaffee
Really well written. Klein is a columnist for the NY times and thus is a good writer. An interesting perspective on the lost art of politics. Mostly he blames T.V. and I must agree.
Jim
Dec 14, 2007 Jim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Disheartened politicos
Politics Lost is an excellent chronicling of how American Presidential candidacy has come to require such inane posturing and leaves us devoid of anything or anybody with substance.
Jeremy
I don't particularly like Joe Klein, but I can't disagree with him about how the politcal process has been hijacked and sanitized. It's bullshit, it's maddening and it's so, so true.
Kcallihan
Joe Klein's take on political handlers since Pat Caddell - mostly Democratic campaigns with stories full of gossipy inside info with tons of players and their role.
Ray
One of my favorite political journalists. this book was not his best effort, but i like his observations and usually agree with his appraisals of politics.
Joseph Serwach
Great insights -- fair to both parties -- great information. Teaches and reaches out much more than it preaches. Joel is a great writer and wordsmith.
Jays
Man, politicians and the people who advise them are totally stupid. Don't they know anythi... oh wait... crap, I forgot, I'm one of them! Man....
Karmen
What a wonderfully down to earth book. Joe Klein writes of the transition of the political process from issue based to character (i.e. PR) based.
Thomas Ptacek
Strong prose. Hangs together well. Left-centrist perspective; you don't get the impression that he has a blind spot where the GOP is concerned.

Meredith
an interesting analysis of the evolution of the modern campaign, despite klein's tendency to stray into arrogant and gossipy rants
Brenden
Politics Lost: How American Democracy Was Trivialized By People Who Think You're Stupid by Joe Klein (2006)
  • The Thirteen American Arguments: Enduring Debates That Define and Inspire Our Country
  • Moral Politics: How Liberals and Conservatives Think
  • Talking Right: How Conservatives Turned Liberalism into a Tax-Raising, Latte-Drinking, Sushi-Eating, Volvo-Driving, New York Times- Reading, Body-Piercing, Hollywood-Loving, Left-Wing Freak Show
  • The Trouble with Diversity: How We Learned to Love Identity and Ignore Inequality
  • Reason: Why Liberals Will Win the Battle for America
  • Thomas Paine and the Promise of America
  • Just How Stupid Are We?: Facing the Truth About the American Voter
  • Moyers on Democracy
  • The Right Nation: Conservative Power in America
  • The Birth of the Republic, 1763-89
  • Bill of Wrongs: The Executive Branch's Assault on America's Fundamental Rights
  • American Theocracy: The Peril and Politics of Radical Religion, Oil, and Borrowed Money in the 21st Century
  • The Revolt of the Elites and the Betrayal of Democracy
  • Imperial America: Reflections on the United States of Amnesia
  • The Sorrows of Empire: Militarism, Secrecy, and the End of the Republic
  • Day of Empire: How Hyperpowers Rise to Global Dominance--and Why They Fall
  • The End of Oil: On the Edge of a Perilous New World
  • Worse Than Watergate: The Secret Presidency of George W. Bush
Joe Klein is a longtime Washington, D.C. and New York journalist and columnist, known for his novel Primary Colors, an anonymously written roman à clef portraying Bill Clinton's first presidential campaign. Klein is currently a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and is a former Guggenheim Fellow. Since 2003 he has been a contributor at the current affairs Time news group. In April 2006, he...more
More about Joe Klein...
Primary Colors: A Novel of Politics Woody Guthrie The Natural: The Misunderstood Presidency of Bill Clinton The Running Mate Payback: Five Marines After Vietnam