Start by marking “The Fly Swatter: How My Grandfather Made His Way in the World” as Want to Read:
The Fly Swatter: How My Grandfather Made His Way in the World

The Fly Swatter: How My Grandfather Made His Way in the World

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  55 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
From the author of the bestselling "Catcher Was a Spy" comes the remarkable chronicle of his grandfather, Alexander Gerschenkron, a Russia-born, Viennese-trained economist who transformed himself into a singular American character.
Published May 7th 2002 by Pantheon Books

To ask other readers questions about The Fly Swatter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fly Swatter

Chris
May 18, 2008 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: Kerry
Dawidoff chronicles the life, intellectual development and scholarship of his grandfather, ("The Great") Alexander Gerschenkron (1904-1978)("Shura" for short); the Russian-born Austrian expatriate, Harvard economics historian and all around "man who knew everything". The early chapters are interesting biography, the later chapters are an outline of Shura's education and scholarship, including an overview of Gerschenkron's decently sized but obscure economics work - which is still apparently ...more
Pattieb
Apr 20, 2008 Pattieb rated it it was amazing
Nicholas Dawidoff spends 341 pages tracing the life of his grandfather, Alex Gerschenkron, from revolutionary Russia through pre-Nazi Vienna, and finally to Harvard via Berkeley.

I picked this up at our local American Corner (run by the Embassy) and wasn't quite sure if it would hold my interest. Gerschendron was an economics prof at Harvard in the late 50's through late 60's - possible a boring subject. But he turned out to be fascinating. He could have easily chaired three different departments
Emily C.
Jun 08, 2014 Emily C. rated it liked it
OK, I am giving up on this book. Some of it was interesting, and I was almost finished with it, but it has slowed down a lot and I just can't make the final push to get through it. While the detail in this book is amazing, it never really grabbed me, and I feel like most people have a grandfather whose life could be worthy of a biography. Read it for a glimpse of pre-war Ukraine, of Harvard during the time he was there, and the changing nature of what it means to be a professional economist.
Leaflet
Aug 29, 2012 Leaflet rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
One night I forgot to take my Kindle to work. Desperate for something to read during lunch break, I rummaged among the meagre piles of castoff books lying forgotten on top of a coatrack in the breakroom, and came across this surprisingly interesting biography of Harvard prof. Alexander Gerschenkron, written by his grandson.
Bryan
Bryan rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2012
Sheldon Gaylin
Sheldon Gaylin rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2014
Phil
Phil rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2013
Cindy Carssow
Cindy Carssow rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2011
Dale
Dale rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2011
Diana
Diana rated it it was ok
Dec 18, 2015
Aleena
Aleena rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2015
Mike Melley
Mike Melley rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2012
ben
ben rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2008
Brandon Danaher
Brandon Danaher rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2012
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2008
Ed
Ed rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2007
Cian O'donovan
Cian O'donovan rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Leah
Leah rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2011
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2008
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Rothian
Rothian rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2007
Blessedhome
Blessedhome rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Brad
Brad rated it liked it
May 28, 2013
James
James rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2009
John Devaney
John Devaney rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2011
Ted
Ted rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2014
Andrew Musicus
Andrew Musicus rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2015