Start by marking “Icon of Evil: Hitler's Mufti and the Rise of Radical Islam” as Want to Read:
Icon of Evil: Hitler's Mufti and the Rise of Radical Islam

Icon of Evil: Hitler's Mufti and the Rise of Radical Islam

A chilling, fascinating, and nearly forgotten historical figure is resurrected in a riveting work that links the fascism of the last century with the terrorism of our own. Written with verve and extraordinary access to primary sources in several languages, Icon of Evil is the definitive account of the man who during World War II was called “the führer of the Arab world” an ...more
Published June 24th 2008 by Random House (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Icon of Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Icon of Evil

Petra Eggs
Oct 23, 2015 Petra Eggs marked it as books-reviewed-but-not-read
I can't say I "want to read" this book, more I think I should read it. I have long thought that the reason for the conflict in the Middle East was not really about land but about the religion of those that live on it. After all when the British Mandate ended and Palestine was partitioned, Transjordania, now Jordan, got 70% of it and I don't hear Muslims and Palestinian supporters around the world even whispering softly for the return of it to the Palestinians. This book apparently boosts this fr ...more
Gary
Jan 07, 2016 Gary rated it it was amazing
This fascinating and revealing book outlines the life and career of the malignant Mufti Haj Al Husseini, a close collaborator of Hitler and a violent hater of Jews and Zionism.
It explores explores his legacy of hate and terror that permeates the Islamic jihad and venomous and bottomless against Jews and Israel up to and including today.

The extent of the Mufti's role in genocide against Jews and his collaboration with Nazi Germany has been deliberately concealed and it is works like these that he
Gary
Aug 09, 2012 Gary rated it it was amazing

Lori
Jan 02, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it
The authors make a case for the connection between the Nazis and radical Islam in this interesting book. I found it especially interesting in comparison to arguments made in The Lemon Tree: A Muslim, A Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East. Both books make it painfully clear that the issues between Israel and the Arab nations will not be easily resolved. My only complaint about Icon of Evil is that I wish there had been more information. For instance, Anwar Sadat is mentioned several times as be ...more
Alvin Franzmeier
Apr 19, 2010 Alvin Franzmeier rated it liked it
I was not aware of the dark connection between radical muslims and the Nazi regime. This connection helps to explain the continued antisemitism to the present day.
David
Mar 08, 2009 David rated it really liked it
I read this book in a week for a fellowship program I'm a part of (Write on For Israel). The book was extremely well-researched and gave a historically accurate and extremely interesting account of the grand mufti of Jerusalem, who collaborated with Hitler to exterminate the Bosnia Jews.

Even though the book speaks primarily about a mufti who was at his height in the 1940s, the book is not dated. The later portion of the book is dedicated to explain the birth and growth of radical Islam, through
Ron
Feb 22, 2009 Ron rated it really liked it
Spurred on my the author who I listen to on the radio, I bought this book and found it very interesting.
This book brings to light what I'd have to think NOBODY knew. The muslem who all muslems looked up to in the 30's thru the 50's. This man hated jews so strongly that he ended up being best friends with Adolph Hitler and his ilk, and ended up having thousands of people killed in his quest to rid the world of the jewish race.
Well written , with a ton of research most people never knew. John
Aviva Ishai
Oct 29, 2012 Aviva Ishai rated it it was amazing
an eye opener about the depth of muslim support for Hitler. next time a muslim complains that the Jews do not belong in Eretz Yisroel and that the arabs should not have to suffer because of what Hitler did, of which they had no part, i will invite them to read this book. Haj Amin al-Husseini, whom Hitler made an honourary Aryan, was not only supporting and working with Hitler in Europe, but was planning with him a campaign to bring the Final Solution to the Middle East and wipe out all the Jews ...more
Michael Clifford
May 06, 2013 Michael Clifford rated it liked it
OK book concerning this mufti/cleric who was powerful in the pre-WWII run-up. He was highly anti-Israel and anti-British. He allied with Germany and went to live in exile in Germany during WWII. The book states the he great influence on the German "final solution" for the Jews. He somehow escaped post war prosecution and regained leadership in the Islamic world. Arafat was a protegee of his. I was especially interested in the roots of radical Islam and this book gave me at least a starting point ...more
Del
Jul 24, 2012 Del rated it it was amazing
Excellent story that ties today's Islamic Radicals back to some of the Arab personalities of WW2 and their support for Hitler's "final solution" to the "Jewish Problem".. Great read about a part of history many don't know about.

Listened to the unabridged audiobook on Audible.com.
Michael
Birds of a feather flock together.
Simon Evangelist
Jul 14, 2014 Simon Evangelist rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
Bring in the connection between the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem and his relationship with Adolf Hitler. it also talks about direct results that the Grand Mufti had on the Middle East.
Robert Lobretto
Aug 03, 2009 Robert Lobretto rated it really liked it
An essential read to discover why Palestine and the surrounding Arab countries are filled with an ever-growing and sustained hatred for the Jewish state of Israel.
Stephanie
Sep 17, 2008 Stephanie rated it liked it
I'm a John Rothmann fan, I admit it. So, despite the less than stellar reviews, I wanted to read this. It's fascinating, and scary. And it makes me sad because I doubt I will EVER understand the hatred that revolves around the Jews, and how it poisons the entire region...reading about how the British and French (and guess who) carved up Iraq decades ago, and it was all about petroleum.

Well, haven't we come a long way? NOT BLOODY LIKELY.So to rate this as "liked it" is a bit misleading...I admire
Jeanne
Jun 04, 2011 Jeanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting book, but to say "I liked it" is a bit misleading. I did not know about (or remember?) the connection between Hitler and the Arab world during WWII. I wanted to read the book to better understand why it was decided to carve out a homeland for the Jewish people where they would be surrounded by their enemies, and I'm still not certain I understand the logic. In hindsight it seems to have continued and escalated the strife that has gone on for centuries.
Sarah rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016
John
John rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2009
J. Paul
J. Paul rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2011
Farzad
Farzad rated it did not like it
Jul 09, 2013
Todd
Todd rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2008
Jesse Mckendry
Jesse Mckendry rated it it was ok
Aug 27, 2011
Paul S. Teague
Paul S. Teague rated it it was ok
Feb 22, 2014
Terje
Terje rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2017
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2012
MzDivaDawn
MzDivaDawn rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2010
Nina
Nina rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2017
Kashif
Kashif rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2010
Wilson
Wilson rated it did not like it
Feb 27, 2011
Skyler King
Skyler King rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2008
Loyalhistorian
Loyalhistorian rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
A chilling and sobering window into the heart of darkness 1 8 Sep 05, 2008 10:43AM
Rabbi David Gil Dalin is a Conservative rabbi, and author and co-author of several books on Jewish history. He is currently a professor of history and political science at Ave Maria University, and was previously associate professor of American Jewish history at the University of Hartford.

Dalin received a bachelor's degree from the University of California, Berkeley, a master's and doctorate from
More about David G. Dalin...