Start by marking “How to Write & Publish a Scientific Paper” as Want to Read:
How to Write & Publish a Scientific Paper

How to Write & Publish a Scientific Paper

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  124 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
This witty and practical guide to organizing, writing, and submitting scientific research for publication in a scholarly scientific journal is designed to help good scientists become good writers. Each edition of this popular work has quickly become an Oryx bestseller, and the new fifth edition has been extensively revised to reflect the significant impact of the Internet ...more
Paperback, Fifth Edition, 275 pages
Published June 18th 1998 by Greenwood Press (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about How to Write & Publish a Scientific Paper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Write & Publish a Scientific Paper

Manny
Nov 23, 2014 Manny marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
If you haven't read David Mazieres and Eddie Kohler's already-classic "Get Me Off Your Fucking Mailing List", check it out now to find new angles on how to become a published academic author. More details here, including the referee report.
Sarah Clement
This is my favourite book on the topic of scientific writing. Although I am primarily a social scientist these days, and there is some variation in how we write as compared to the biophysical sciences, I have found this book immensely helpful as a reference throughout my PhD. Every time I am feeling stuck with a section or don't know where to begin, I pick up this book and almost invariably find the answer. I like that the book has succinct, clear writing (otherwise I probably wouldn't trust its ...more
Alfredo Pagnotta
Sep 11, 2014 Alfredo Pagnotta rated it really liked it
I'm writing my first scientific paper, and I was adviced by better experienced colleagues to read this manual. The edition I read was the one adapted for non-native English speakers. I found it very well done. It's written in simple and clear English, but still it's very pleasant to read. It's well structured, and its content is very valid. I found plenty of good tips and information that cleared my mind about how all the steps of writing and publishing in the scientific environment work. Also, ...more
Eman Helmy
Sep 30, 2012 Eman Helmy rated it really liked it
Very well organized ,simple and useful book. Used very good examples and quotations, with a touch of humor .
Lee Broderick
Overall, this is a fair guide to the production of all forms of written output in the pure sciences. A lengthy middle section focuses on the writing of journal (or similar) papers, whilst short sections at the back focus on grant applications, posters, conference presentations, theses and even email as well as peer reviews and references. It's presented in such a way that it can be read cover to cover or used as a handy reference book when you're actually writing something.

Some of the techincal
E
Apr 03, 2016 E rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Wayyy too much common sense, not enough useful/unique information... "when submitting a document by mail, make sure the envelope is sufficiently sealed".

Some parts are really really short - dissertation section is about 5 pages. Even though I'm not done with grad school I feel like I could have written this book... also way too many comics in place of content, padding it to 300 pages.

That said there was a little bit of useful info peppered throughout.
Brian
Mar 27, 2016 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal
I remember reading this at the mechanic's while I car was being inspected. It's pretty straight forward, so that's all I have to say about it.
Robert
Nov 27, 2014 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative and useful.
Rosy
Useful and entertaining. The last section, "Other Topics in Scientific Communication," is so shallow as to be questionably helpful, but the book as a whole is shelfspaceworthy.
王伟
Oct 02, 2014 王伟 is currently reading it
Ariadna73
Jan 26, 2012 Ariadna73 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
To read my review in Spanish; go to http://lunairereadings.blogspot.com/2...
This book is very entertaining and its topic is really serious and important: how to write a scientific paper and how to success in publishing it. I loved the structure; the simplicity of the message and the usefulness of every thing I learned with it. This is one for my reference; no doubt.
Anna
Mar 05, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-edu-work
Great guide to writing and presenting science via different media. It focuses on writing papers but goes over presentations, reviews, and posters. It goes over the biggest problems with the language and data presentation. It is an older book so the technology the author mentions is no longer applicable.
Fran
Jul 16, 2012 Fran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A useful reference book with thorough, well-structured and practical advice on preparing scientific papers. I referred to this book frequently while working with a research NGO in China where I assisted in editing academic papers and transcripts.
Victoria Bell
Jan 27, 2015 Victoria Bell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent resource for scientific writers and editors.
Uut
Feb 22, 2008 Uut marked it as to-read
Karena perlu buat nulis paper dalam bahasa inggris, membantu sekali sebagai panduan umum untuk menulis ilmiah.
Evangeline
Evangeline is currently reading it
Apr 28, 2016
Judi Gallagher
Judi Gallagher rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Kyle Walker
Kyle Walker marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Aidan Dmitriev
Aidan Dmitriev marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Tressa
Tressa rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Anaemy
Anaemy marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Ilknur
Ilknur marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
XiuxiaZhang
XiuxiaZhang marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Guruprasad Jambaulikar
Guruprasad Jambaulikar rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Shilpa Mohite
Shilpa Mohite marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
JL Traweek
JL Traweek marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
M. Kate
M. Kate rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
A.Chorana
A.Chorana marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Andreas Helset
Andreas Helset rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2016
BBHUPI
BBHUPI added it
Feb 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • 2012 Writer's Market
  • Elmore Leonard's 10 Rules of Writing
  • I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears and Other Intriguing Idioms From Around the World
  • Piracy: The Intellectual Property Wars from Gutenberg to Gates
  • Michelle Obama: In Her Own Words
  • High Steel: The Daring Men Who Built the World's Greatest Skyline
  • Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting Dynamic Characters and Effective Viewpoints
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • My So-Called Freelance Life: How to Survive and Thrive as a Creative Professional for Hire
  • A First Course in General Relativity
  • When You Catch an Adjective, Kill It: The Parts of Speech, for Better And/Or Worse
  • Thinking Like Your Editor: How to Write Great Serious Nonfiction and Get It Published
  • Artful Sentences: Syntax as Style
  • CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics
  • A Guide to LATEX: Document Preparation for Beginners and Advanced Users
  • Modern Physics
  • The Art of Creative Nonfiction: Writing and Selling the Literature of Reality
  • Writing Nonfiction: Turning Thoughts Into Books

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »