Start by marking “Forgive Us Our Trespasses” as Want to Read:
Forgive Us Our Trespasses

Forgive Us Our Trespasses

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
THE new-laid harvest straw beneath the faded red carpet rustled crisply under Martha's shapeless felt slippers as she padded across the living-room to the cluttered mantel.

With the quizzical grimace of long-neglected astigmatism she adjusted the steel-bowed spectacles that had been her mother's, had of a notion peddler for two dozen eggs and a pound of butter.

The wooden-
Published March 1st 1973 by Pocket Books (first published December 1st 1959)

Ann
Apr 23, 2013 Ann rated it it was amazing
I think I've said it here before about another of his books, but it bears repeating. Lloyd C. Douglas is a wordsmith of the first order...I love his books, and he's one of my favorite authors. He can turn a phrase more artfully than...almost anybody I know. His descriptive narratives are neither too long, nor too short, too many words, nor too few. Juuuust right.

Douglas likes to choose qualities of human nature, pry them open, looking deep inside, holding them to the light to see all the intric
Mollie
Nov 29, 2011 Mollie rated it really liked it
The older style of writing always takes me several pages to get used to, but once in the story I was enjoying the writing (moments of absolutely beautiful use of words) but not loving the story. However, the last several pages are so eloquent and powerful, they left me uplifted and committed to be a kinder more loving person. To be fair I have been feeling the cynic lately and know that it poisons me a bit, while I don't feel like I have anyone to forgive exactly, I have decided to look for the ...more
Mark Stephenson
Jan 15, 2010 Mark Stephenson rated it really liked it
I was impressed by the skill and conviction which could make of an essentially didactic novel a stirring story of the growth of a much-wronged and very bitter young man, Dinny Brumm, and his ties with his mother who died giving him birth and his father who was deceitfully denied contact with him by the pious but venal relatives who raised him. The author demonstrates a thorough understanding of the cynicism fashionable in America after World War I as well as of the doctrines, practices and preju ...more
Partridge Public
Douglas, Lloyd C.
Anki
Anki added it
Feb 09, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Kay
Kay added it
Jan 14, 2016
Rama Kaalia
Rama Kaalia rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Paul Burgess
Paul Burgess marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Happymore Chakandivenga
Happymore Chakandivenga marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Zanne Baker
Zanne Baker rated it did not like it
Oct 03, 2015
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Linda HB
Linda HB rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Willie
Willie added it
Jul 17, 2015
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Noelani
Noelani rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2015
Dr Arun
Dr Arun marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Everett Brewer
Everett Brewer marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Tsunami
Tsunami marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Abbie
Abbie marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Susan Krueger
Susan Krueger marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Wanda
Wanda rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2015
Sunitha
Sunitha marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Kme_17
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Elaine Brennan
Elaine Brennan rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Han
Han rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
was a noteworthy American minister and author. He spent part of his boyhood in Monroeville, Indiana, Wilmot, Indiana and Florence, Kentucky, where his father, Alexander Jackson Douglas, was pastor of the Hopeful Lutheran Church. He died in Los Angeles, California.
Douglas was one of the most popular American authors of his time, although he didn't write his first novel until he was 50.
His written w
More about Lloyd C. Douglas...