Blue Adept (Apprentice Adept, #2)

Blue Adept (Apprentice Adept #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  8,464 ratings  ·  73 reviews
In Book Two of the epic adventure that began in SPLIT INFINITY, Stile discovers life on Proton and Phaze is getting more difficult. On Proton he's a serf trying to prove his right to exist by competing in the Great Games. And on Phaze, where only magic worked, he was the Blue Adept trying to master the powers of sorcery. On both worlds, someone was trying to assassinate hi...more
Mass Market Paperback, 327 pages
Published August 12th 1987 by Del Rey (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Adept, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Adept

James
Following Stile further as he continues the struggles from Split Infinity . Trying to complete a series of competitions to win his freedom in one world while trying to understand his new position and powers in the other. All while trying to avoid getting killed and working out who's trying to kill him. Phew!

While it doesn't really stand alone as a book, it's a good continuation of the series and keeps the intrigue and revelations coming.
Jeremy Preacher
It's not actually worse than Split Infinity, really - it actually moves faster, the stakes are higher, and the many brief Tourney scenes remain entertaining (if slightly irritating once you realize just how implausible Stile's ridiculous breadth and depth of skills is. Seriously, he had a full-time job and he's 35, yet he can run marathons, is a top-ranked martial artist, a serious musician, the best rider on the planet, a competitive gymnast, skilled swordsman, and he can use a sewing machine?...more
David Sarkies
Jul 10, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dunno, Nobody I guess
Recommended to David by: Stewart
Shelves: sci-fi
The saga of the sex robot continues
1 March 2012

Hmm, as I glanced at some of the reviews I seemed to notice the suggestion that it really is not a stand alone book, but rather a direct continuation of book one (in the same way that the Two Towers is a direct continuation of Fellowship of the Ring) though that is hardly an issue considering the number of series out there that need to be read in order. Fortunately not all serial books are like that (such as The Dresden Files) but many are (in part...more
Onefinemess
So.

I’m continuing on my trek through pulp fantasy I read as a kid – although I’m really not sure if I actually read these 3 books or not, I know I read books 4-7 of the series (I still owned them when I bought (or re-bought) these three). They definitely have that 70s/80s fantasy cover thing down though right? I don’t think the hero ever wears a chain mail skirt – yet there he is on the cover! The lady in red with the demon jumping out of an amulet is actually pretty accurate though.

The story it...more
Michael
Jul 27, 2014 Michael rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults, Fantasy fans, Anthony fans
Recommended to Michael by: Seth Klein
In retrospect, it's amazing the amount of Piers Anthony I consumed in my teens. Looking at it now, I can't imagine actually finishing this book, but not only did I, I read the entire trilogy of which it is a part, in a single volume, over the course of a few weeks in Summer. This at a time when my teachers would assign me things I started and never finished. The fact of the matter is that I had more to learn from reading Anthony and his ilk; I wasn't ready to learn from the books they wanted me...more
Blake Baguley
I made the mistake of coming back to read this book after reading the author's autobiography "Bio of an Ogre". It's plainer than daylight that Piers created Stile in his image - the height complex, the crook knees, the obsession with horses, the harmonica playing, the stifling sense of "honour" that makes him an always misunderstood moral giant among mere mortals... When you realise how much the author is projecting, the whole thing invites a lot of cringing. The main crux of the book (and a lot...more
Joey V.
So there will be spoilers, but I don't really care. If anything I say makes you feel that you wouldn't want to read this, then good for you. The book really isn't good enough for me to concern myself with such things. Still reading? You were warned fair and square.

So. Stile rapes his way through yet another book. In the first, he declares that he has raped Sheen by forcing her to reveal information that she wanted kept secret. Not exactly what I would call rape, but that's how he defined it, so...more
Jennifer Kyrnin
I read this book back when it came out in 1981. And I picked it up again because it was a library book (via Overdrive) that was available now. Of course, I'd forgotten that it was book 2 in the series! :-)

But it was still a lot of fun to read. Anthony writes an interesting story with the two worlds of science and magic. And the Game on the science side is really interesting too.

Technically, this book was annoying to read, with typos that looked like OCR errors on _every_ page (not an exaggerati...more
Thomas
When I was 13, I read a lot of Piers Anthony, and when I say “a lot,” I mean a lot. The guy was pretty much all I read, from the Xanth series to the Incarnations of Immortality series, and even the Battle Circle and Bio of a Space Tyrant series, but my favorite of his books from that time would have to be the Apprentice Adept series. I read them again in my late 20s and thought they held up pretty well, so when I got on a bit of a nostalgia kick recently, I thought I’d give these another go, jus...more
Purlewe
WHOA. OK I am re-reading these as a way to enjoy those great days of my youth when I first discovered sci-fi/ fantasy. And I am going to admit right now. I remember when I read the first 3 books of this series, but this second reading... I can't remember these at ALL. And frankly I am a little disgusted at myself for reading them back then. I don't remember the misogyny. I don't remember the ladies man bullsh*t. I don't remember the ridiculous scenarios.. And I certainly don't remember the most...more
Jeanne Boyarsky
Joran
This was a reasonably good follow up to the first book, direct continuation from where the first left off. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the story was broken up over the 3 books of this "first" trilogy, as the end of the first books maing story line subject finished in the first 20% of this second book. Nonetheless I enjoyed it and recommend these books most highly to my friends.
Christian Crowley
Not as good as the first or third installments of the trilogy; the end especially got a bit silly. One gripe here is that all of his characters tend to have the same "voice" even when they're disguised with various masks of age, race, origin, class, origin, etc.

This series appeals to and helped shape my aesthetic sensibilities, in the way Piers Anthony creates a universe with certain rules and limitations, and explores one facet of it at a time. Typical of this author, the series develops in a w...more
Emily
Stile is becoming adroit at passing between the parallel worlds of Phaze and Proton. In Proton he must continue in the tournament to earn his citizenship, engaging in several interesting Games. In Phaze, he continues to track down the killer of his Other Self, whose place he is rapidly assuming. Perils abound in both worlds and the action never wanes. Stile is constantly in danger, which keeps the novel quite suspenseful and quickly paced. Both worlds are fascinating and filled with wonders and...more
Haydensdad
Not as good as the first in the series but still entertaining. Both books are very similar in plot and could probably have been a single volume rather than two. Stile is transitioning between Phase & Proton in the search of his alternate selfs' killer and collecting a retinue of magical creatures as well as self aware machines to help him in his quest. As the story unfolds the connections between Phase & Proton becomes a little more clear and the killers identity is revealed somewhat.
Wi...more
Holly
A bit better than the first book, but I was still not impressed. I was lost and confused and just couldn't follow the story line.
Annette
Sep 20, 2007 Annette rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Readers
Shelves: fantasy
I strongly encourage this be read as the entire series. The last books go in a very different direction than the first few.

At first, this seems a rather typical fantasy type book. Toward the end, well, the comparison to our own world is inevitable and powerful.

Why can't we all just get along?

I'm giving the series a rating of 4. Some of the books in the series are better than others. As a whole, I think it's worthy of a 4.
Angela Delgado
More enjoyable than the first; I really like the Game on Proton, and this installment gave it a center role. There was less lecturing, and it felt like the action progressed more smoothly. It was also nice to see Stile settling a bit more into his position as Blue, and learning to use his magic.... A minor quibble is that his spells all sounded very childish, and it was hard to imagine a good melody to go with them.
Nathan

Yeah. What to say about a book that ends with an interpretive dance competition that followed a mad race by a unicorn to save the main character while a drone fires missiles at him as he rides a rocket powered unicycle? Seriously, this all really happened. Piers Anthony is a strange, strange man. I will definitely be reading the next book in this series.
Brian
Piers Anthony writes great, but often less than memorable fantasy. I really love reading them while I'm reading them, but few of them stick with me. That being said, I remember liking this series more than most of his, but in the long run I don't really have any lasting need to recommend this book for any reason, it's just a quick/fun read.
stormka
I read Split Infinity in high school and loved it. Finally got around to the second book a few summers ago (Blue Adept). I guess tastes have changed because it was an incredibly tedious read. The story wasn't as interesting as the first book and SI could have worked as a standalone. I just wasn't as invested in the story any longer.
Diane ~Firefly~
In this book Stile discovers which Adept was trying to kill him and gets a chance to face them down. He also has to keep advancing in the tournament so he can become a citizen on Proton. He meets more new creatures in Phaze and loses an ally.

A bit more action in this book than the first as Stile starts to solve the mysteries.
Nina
Piers Anthony does not disappoint with the continuation of The Apprentice Adept series. Proton, Phaze, and The Game continue to grasp hold of the reader until the final page. One of my favorite lines was "The lad's eyes brightened and his little bloodsucking tusks showed cutely." Yes, there are vampires.
Lee
Book two in the Blue Adept series. Stile is a genius. He has to be. Not only must he win the Tourney, a high-tech contest of skill in both mind and body, but between rounds he must become his alter ego, the Blue Adept, and save his lady love... all this while trying to figure out who wants him dead.
Caitlin
This is the second book in the Apprentice Adept series following Split Infinity.

This book was fine but everything was easily guessed and it just didn't click with me.
Jeff Slag
Kept up with the fun... wouldn't really recommend, just reminisce.
Dale Rosso
I enjoyed Anthony's Adept stories, I always seem to want more when getting to the end of the series.
William
Book 2 was the build up.

In the Blue Adept, Piers Anthony builds his creation to a tipping point. There is a mini-climax when Stile finds out who has been making attempts at his life, but this is quickly settled, and he discovers a bigger secret.

These books are page turners!
Michael R.
Book II in the trilogy. Still pretty interesting and enjoyable.

Stile continues to move up the ladder winning the grand games in his effort to become a citizen and gain freedom. While in Phaze he and the Blue Lady continue to fight and find the person trying to assasinate him.
  • Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #6)
  • Lilith: A Snake in the Grass (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #1)
  • The King's Justice (The Histories of King Kelson, #2)
  • A Cat of Silvery Hue (Horseclans, #4)
  • White Gold Wielder (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #3)
  • Callahan's Secret (Callahan's Series, #3)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm...more
More about Piers Anthony...
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing An Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)