Start by marking “Better Dads, Stronger Sons: How Fathers Can Guide Boys to Become Men of Character” as Want to Read:

The relationship between a father and a son is like none other. Dads have a God-given role to protect and provide for their families, always striving to teach their sons the life skills they'll need to grow into honorable men. But many dads struggle with feelings of inadequacy regarding their fathering abilities. They want to be better dads.

Rick Johnson can show them how.
Published May 1st 2006 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Better Dads, Stronger Sons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Better Dads, Stronger Sons

Eric
Feb 17, 2011 Eric rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, non-fiction
Despite some extremely conservative views which border on antiquated, there are some good tips in here on how to raise a better son simply by being a better man. The book focuses on the father-son relationship, but can easily be interpolated to the father-daughter relationship as well. For the most part, Johnson offers solid advice for Dads with sons of all ages, positing that it is never to late to start being a great dad.

The book loses something on its advice when the author tries to instill s
Jason Green
Feb 17, 2015 Jason Green rated it really liked it
A boy needs time with his father. That boy will become his father. We all grow up saying, "I'm never going to become like my father." (most of us do anyway) But inevitably it happens. Why? Because if our dads were present in our life growing up, we both consciously and subconsciously learned to be a man from him. But what if your father was not present in your home? What if he was present but very distant or otherwise a bad example of what it meant to be a father? There is hope for you too. "Bef ...more
John
I really enjoyed this book. This is an admonition to fathers to man up and be the men their sons (and daughters) need them to be. I've read several books of this nature, and while I don't recall any insights that were unique to the author, what I did notice was that this book was inspiring. He presents the material well, and in such a way that I didn't feel I could dimiss it without at least attempting to implement the ideas.
Danny
Aug 24, 2012 Danny rated it really liked it
I have to commend Rick Johnson for writing a parenting book that is not filled with narrowly structured answers to complex issues. It seems as though he merely sought to roughly outline the obstacles encountered in Father/Son relationships and inspire the mind and heart of the men to engage the topics. If you're the wife of a Christian man and you have a son, don't hesitate to pick this book up for him.
Ron
Dec 08, 2007 Ron rated it liked it
Recommends it for: christian fathers
Good book about the life purpose of fathers. Fairly speaks to the importanceof being a great father and the impact on ones son. Wrapped in Christian thought and tradition, although the message and the concepts transcend religions.
Yougo
Apr 24, 2013 Yougo rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fathers
A good book that will get you thinking some about how to be a better father and what you should be doing with your own son. I didn't know going in that it has religious overtones, but for the most part they weren't took obtrusive, and overall the book was good.
Paul Jones
Nov 04, 2009 Paul Jones rated it liked it
Reading this for fathers and sons group. Doing this all on my Kindle app with highlights and annotations. This was a good book, easy to read and uses common sense approaches. But it was not as powerful as some of the other fathering books I have read
Suz
Jan 23, 2009 Suz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This 6 CD volume is a great tool for men. The author is the reader so you receive his full intent in the message. It is powerful and actually will help in a man parenting his daughter too!
Great focus with a bold call for men to realize their importance.
Philip
Feb 24, 2009 Philip rated it really liked it
good book and definitely one I will re-read. It was nice to read through the book and recognize the characteristics my dad passed on to me (whether intentionally or not). I will definitely use and apply this with aidan throughout his childhood and teens.
Megan
Mar 22, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing
I thought this was an interesting book, but more importantly, by husband thought it was a great book. He loved it so much he asked me to read it as well. I recommend this to any man raising a son. The author has another book for single mothers raising sons.
Mike Mcguinn
Sep 12, 2013 Mike Mcguinn rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
The writer is very conservative and some of the ideas listed are a bit traditional, I got a lot out of this and would recommend it to any dad who has a son
Todd Macy
Sep 14, 2012 Todd Macy rated it liked it
A little too "women are weak and need men to survive" for my taste but the overall sentiment that men have unique things we can teach boys which make them better men is certainly valid.
Onewifeonly
Aug 02, 2014 Onewifeonly rated it it was ok
Not nearly as substantive as the title implies. Disappointing.
Gayle
Jan 30, 2013 Gayle rated it really liked it
This book was excellent, if I was a father. But I learned many new things about men and boys. It made me sad that my sons didn't have a father influence.....Every man should read this book!
Michael Lucas
Michael Lucas rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Kaitlyn Boffey
Kaitlyn Boffey rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2014
Jason White
Jason White rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2012
Diego Lopes Nogueira
Diego Lopes Nogueira rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2016
Brandon Schall
Brandon Schall rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2012
William Yee
William Yee rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2016
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2015
Mark Kennicott
Mark Kennicott rated it really liked it
May 16, 2017
Mavic Ordoñez
Mavic Ordoñez rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Elford Stephens
Elford Stephens rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Michael Mudrey
Michael Mudrey rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2013
Arch
Arch rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2015
Gabe
Gabe rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2012
Marquis
Marquis rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2014
Rick
Mar 06, 2009 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • 52 Things Kids Need from a Dad: What Fathers Can Do to Make a Lifelong Difference
  • Love, Sex, and Lasting Relationships
  • Under the Sheets: The Secrets to Hot Sex in Your Marriage
  • The Four Seasons of Marriage: Secrets to a Lasting Marriage
  • Closer: Devotions to Draw Couples Together
  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • The Truth about Getting the Best from People (Truth about)
  • The DNA of Relationships
  • The One Year Daily Insights With Zig Ziglar (One Year Signature Line)
  • 15 Successful Communications Lessons (Collection)
  • No More Christian Nice Guy: When Being Nice--Instead of Good--Hurts Men, Women and Children
  • The Truth About Negotiations
Rick founded Better Dads, a fathering skills program, based on the urgent need to empower men to lead and serve in their families and communities. Rick's books have expanded his work to include influencing the whole family, with life-changing insights for men and women on parenting, marriage, and personal growth. Inspiring and equipping through innovative multimedia presentations and seminars, Ric ...more
More about Rick Johnson...

“A man is created for challenges. He is equipped to overcome, to run the gauntlet, to stand finn as a ti,ell-anchored corner post. Men are the benchmark in life, society, and family. It is part of the masculine responsibility to demonstrate strength and stability, to protect and provide for those within their sphere of influence. This is the hallmark of manhood.
Preston Gillharn, Things Only Men Know”
0 likes
“Authentic manhood, or walking the path of godly intent, is living for a cause bigger than yourself. It means a life spent in servant leadership of others. A life spent lifting up your wife and children with the goal of helping them achieve their full potential. A life spent reaching out to others who need the support and shade of your broad shoulders. Men” 0 likes