Start by marking “Better Dads, Stronger Sons: How Fathers Can Guide Boys to Become Men of Character” as Want to Read:
Preview

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The relationship between a father and a son is like none other. Dads have a God-given role to protect and provide for their families, always striving to teach their sons the life skills they'll need to grow into honorable men. But many dads struggle with feelings of inadequacy regarding their fathering abilities. They want to be better dads.
Rick Johnson can show them how.
Published May 1st 2006 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Better Dads, Stronger Sons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Better Dads, Stronger Sons

Jason Green
A boy needs time with his father. That boy will become his father. We all grow up saying, "I'm never going to become like my father." (most of us do anyway) But inevitably it happens. Why? Because if our dads were present in our life growing up, we both consciously and subconsciously learned to be a man from him. But what if your father was not present in your home? What if he was present but very distant or otherwise a bad example of what it meant to be a father? There is hope for you too. "Bef ...more
Eric
Despite some extremely conservative views which border on antiquated, there are some good tips in here on how to raise a better son simply by being a better man. The book focuses on the father-son relationship, but can easily be interpolated to the father-daughter relationship as well. For the most part, Johnson offers solid advice for Dads with sons of all ages, positing that it is never to late to start being a great dad.

The book loses something on its advice when the author tries to instill s
Onewifeonly
Not nearly as substantive as the title implies. Disappointing.
John
I really enjoyed this book. This is an admonition to fathers to man up and be the men their sons (and daughters) need them to be. I've read several books of this nature, and while I don't recall any insights that were unique to the author, what I did notice was that this book was inspiring. He presents the material well, and in such a way that I didn't feel I could dimiss it without at least attempting to implement the ideas.
Danny
I have to commend Rick Johnson for writing a parenting book that is not filled with narrowly structured answers to complex issues. It seems as though he merely sought to roughly outline the obstacles encountered in Father/Son relationships and inspire the mind and heart of the men to engage the topics. If you're the wife of a Christian man and you have a son, don't hesitate to pick this book up for him.
Yougo
Jun 24, 2013 Yougo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fathers
A good book that will get you thinking some about how to be a better father and what you should be doing with your own son. I didn't know going in that it has religious overtones, but for the most part they weren't took obtrusive, and overall the book was good.
Suz
This 6 CD volume is a great tool for men. The author is the reader so you receive his full intent in the message. It is powerful and actually will help in a man parenting his daughter too!
Great focus with a bold call for men to realize their importance.
Philip
good book and definitely one I will re-read. It was nice to read through the book and recognize the characteristics my dad passed on to me (whether intentionally or not). I will definitely use and apply this with aidan throughout his childhood and teens.
Paul Jones
Reading this for fathers and sons group. Doing this all on my Kindle app with highlights and annotations. This was a good book, easy to read and uses common sense approaches. But it was not as powerful as some of the other fathering books I have read
Megan
I thought this was an interesting book, but more importantly, by husband thought it was a great book. He loved it so much he asked me to read it as well. I recommend this to any man raising a son. The author has another book for single mothers raising sons.
Ron
Dec 08, 2007 Ron rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: christian fathers
Good book about the life purpose of fathers. Fairly speaks to the importanceof being a great father and the impact on ones son. Wrapped in Christian thought and tradition, although the message and the concepts transcend religions.
Gayle
This book was excellent, if I was a father. But I learned many new things about men and boys. It made me sad that my sons didn't have a father influence.....Every man should read this book!
Todd Macy
A little too "women are weak and need men to survive" for my taste but the overall sentiment that men have unique things we can teach boys which make them better men is certainly valid.
Mike Mcguinn
The writer is very conservative and some of the ideas listed are a bit traditional, I got a lot out of this and would recommend it to any dad who has a son
Doug
Doug marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Sara R Johnson
Sara R Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
LaRue Beckley
LaRue Beckley marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Isaac
Isaac added it
Mar 04, 2015
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Mohamed
Mohamed marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
  • The DNA of Relationships
  • The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers
  • The Choice Effect: Love and Commitment in an Age of Too Many Options
  • The Four Seasons of Marriage
  • The Static Of The Spheres (The Personal History, Adventures, Experiences & Observations Of Peter Leroy)
  • The Shadow And Night (The Lamb Among the Stars, #1-2)
  • Divine Commodity: Discovering a Faith Beyond Consumer Christianity
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • Living Organized: Proven Steps for a Clutter-Free and Beautiful Home
  • A Woman Who Trusts God: Finding the Peace You Long for
  • Kiss Me Like You Mean It: Solomon's Crazy in Love How-To Manual
  • First Things First: The Rules of Being a Warner
  • Can I Be Sure I'm Saved? (Crucial Questions, #7)
  • A Flower Blooms on Charlotte Street
  • When to Speak Up and When to Shut Up
Rick founded Better Dads, a fathering skills program, based on the urgent need to empower men to lead and serve in their families and communities. Rick's books have expanded his work to include influencing the whole family, with life-changing insights for men and women on parenting, marriage, and personal growth. Inspiring and equipping through innovative multimedia presentations and seminars, Ric ...more
More about Rick Johnson...
That's My Son: How Moms Can Influence Boys to Become Men of Character Becoming Your Spouse's Better Half: Why Differences Make a Marriage Great That's My Teenage Son: How Moms Can Influence Their Boys to Become Good Men That's My Girl: How a Father's Love Protects and Empowers His Daughter The Man Whisperer: Speaking Your Man's Language to Bring Out His Best

“A man is created for challenges. He is equipped to overcome, to run the gauntlet, to stand finn as a ti,ell-anchored corner post. Men are the benchmark in life, society, and family. It is part of the masculine responsibility to demonstrate strength and stability, to protect and provide for those within their sphere of influence. This is the hallmark of manhood.
Preston Gillharn, Things Only Men Know”
0 likes
“Authentic manhood, or walking the path of godly intent, is living for a cause bigger than yourself. It means a life spent in servant leadership of others. A life spent lifting up your wife and children with the goal of helping them achieve their full potential. A life spent reaching out to others who need the support and shade of your broad shoulders. Men” 0 likes