Start by marking “Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!” as Want to Read:
Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!

Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (Pigeon)

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  18,075 ratings  ·  675 reviews
PreSchool-Grade 2-The star of Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Hyperion, 2003) returns in another irresistible tale. Hurrying away to brush his teeth, the pajama-clad bus driver implores readers not to let his feathered friend stay up late. Youngsters are thrust into the role of caregiver as the puerile pigeon attempts to talk his way out of the inevitable, coming up w ...more
Published February 28th 2006 by Disney-Hyperion

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner
Voices & Sounds - Best Read Alouds for Young Children
21st out of 492 books — 522 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
227th out of 3,421 books — 5,081 voters

More lists with this book...

Hahah! The pigeon is absolutely hilarous, my favorite part is when the pigeon is stalling and all of a sudden says, "tell me about your day..." nice try pigeon.
Apparently I bought this one for my neice and didn't remember doing it. But that's okay, because I got story time last night. :-D
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!, The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? and The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!. These are all the books I had read so far from Mo Willems’ popular “Pigeon” series! Recently, I had read another book from Mo Willems’ fantastic “Pigeon” series and it is called “Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay up Late!” With witty dialogue and cute illustrations, “Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay up Late!” is a fantastic read for children who are fans of the “Pigeon” series!

When the Bus Driver tells the readers
Oct 04, 2015 Brenda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: meh, okay
Last book of the series. The duckling is the real hero haha.
Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (Pigeon #2) by Mo Willems is a humorous look at anyone who begs to stay up late, even when it's obviously bedtime.

The story begins with the pajama-clad bus driver imploring readers not to let his feathered friend stay up late. Pigeon proceeds to cajole, manipulate, persuade and beg to stay up late. Pigeon makes up lots of excuses and has silly ideas. As he does, however, yawns keep escaping from him, until finally Pigeon dozes off, clutching his stuffed bunny.
The pigeon has a thousand reasons why he shouldn't go to bed; from the classic 'I need a drink of water' to the more inventive 'we never talk any more'. This was another fun adventure from the pigeon, but not one of my favourites.

My rating: 4/5
Master 6's rating: 5/5
Master 3's rating:5/5
Y chang Bảo Bối ở nhà. Rõ ràng là buồn ngủ mắt díp hết cả lại nhưng ham vui nhất quyết không chịu đi ngủ, đến khi bế một chặp cho vào phòng yên tĩnh quay ra quay vào đã thấy cuộn tròn.
Mo Willams my go-to guy to make me the BEST read-aloud librarian....I have an inner pigeon....i must since acting it out is so easy
For anyone who's ever had to wrestle (metaphorically) a toddler or preschooler into bed, Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! will ring alarmingly true. In the pigeon character, Mo Willems captures the voice, mannerisms, and bargaining tactics of children that age when bedtime means not going to sleep but missing out on everything else.

The illustrations remain an integral ingredient to the storytelling, blocky and expressive like a comic book, with the narrative contained to dialogue bubbles. Thi
Taylor Schnepf
As a man leaves, he asks you to not let the pigeon stay up late. Of course the pigeon doesn’t wanna sleep quite yet so the bird tries to manipulate to let him stay up. He asks if he could throw a party, if he could watch tv, then he says that studies show that pigeons don't even need that much sleep, he also even asks how your day was. Until he just can't stay up any longer, he ends up being tired and falls asleep on his own.

The illustrations all have very light colors for the backgrounds of ea
Christina Hyde
This book about a very creative little pigeon is one of many, in this adventure the pigeon (like many kids) is determined to stay up later than his bedtime. His caretaker confides in the reader at the beginning of the story to "Make sure the pigeon doesn't stay up late!" This book is great at involving readers and making them feel personally responsible for getting the pigeon to bed.

This book uses dark grays, blues, and lavenders to give the story a feeling of late at night, all colors are subdu
Desiree Schirg
This book is about a talking pigeon who tries to to persuade the reader that it is not tired and to allow it to stay up late. This is a humorous story and many children can relate to having a bedtime and not wanting to go to bed. The pigeon has many reasons to try and convince the reader that it should stay up late and gives children a chance to interact with the character by being the one to say "No" to the pigeon. This book features funny illustrations to accompany the hilarious comments made ...more
Don't let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! by Mo Willems is about a talking pigeon who tries to convince the reader that she is no tired and does not need to go to sleep! This funny story can be enjoyed for young children in grades 1-3. This storybook features funny illustrations to accompany the hilarious comments made by the pigeon.

I would use this text as a way to introduce to students how they can incorporate dialogue into their writing or storytelling. I might first ask students to notice the way
In this story, the reader is very interactive with the plot. The nice man at the beginning of the story asks the reader to make sure the main character, the pigeon, goes to bed on time and does not stay up late. The pigeon in the book represents a fellow child or potentially the reader. The pigeon is very stubborn and does not want to go to sleep, which is a common theme among young children.

The pigeon is ruthless to stay up late and comes up with many differing strategies. These ideas of gettin
Sandra Balderas
The book starts off in a very interactive way by asking the readers a question. The question asks if they can do the owner of the pigeon a favor. He asks to not let the pigeon stay up late and as you flip the page you meet the pigeon that exclaims that he is not tired. The rest of the book is just the pigeon talking back and forth with the reader and thinking to himself a lot. He explains how he wants to have hot dog party, watch TV, and do many other things, except go to sleep. It is very funny ...more
Katherina Mccarthy
The pigeon is back and as manipulative as ever after the first book entitled ’Don’t Let the Pideon Drive the Bus’. This instalment is as simple and entertaining as the first. It sees a very clever pigeon trying it’s hardest to persuade the reader to allow it to stay up late. It uses many familiar tactics in this quest including ‘We never get to talk anymore’ and ‘Can I have a glass of water?’, something of its readers will relate to!

This book is truly hilarious from start to end. The language us
This was pretty much me as a kid. I never wanted to go to bed and my parents set a bedtime for me that was, in my humble child opinion, tyrannical. Actually, this is still me. Except now I don't have an imposed bedtime. I have an "I have to get up and work and/or do school stuff" bedtime. And I know I should go to bed, but I don't. Just like the pigeon, I think of every reason not to go to bed. In that aspect, I doubt I will ever grow up.

Also, I love the pictures!
Don’t let the Pigeon Drive Stay Up Late is a story about a man who doesn’t allow the pigeons to stay up late, however the pigeon doesn’t really want to go to bed. This is another Willems classic, where the pigeon is the main character in teaching a lesson to the intended reader and audience. I personally love the style of book the Willems has created because its all about the overall message of the plot and the walk away message that really matters at the end of the story. Even though the charac ...more
Sarah Sammis
Sean's last Hanukkah gift was two books by Mo Willems: The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog and Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late. Parents will find this story of the pigeon who doesn't want to go to bed very funny. I think I've heard every excuse that the pigeon uses from Sean. As with the other pigeon books the narrator warns the reader about the pigeon and his need to go to bed. After he leaves, the pigeon speaks to the reader, trying to stay up as late as possible.
Ashley Kerns
Apr 28, 2014 Ashley Kerns rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Preschool/primary grades
Recommended to Ashley by: TCH&LRN 307
This book is about a guy who doesn’t want us to let the pigeon stay up late, but the pigeon doesn’t want to go to bed. The pigeon explains to us how he is not tired at all and tries and thinks of everything to do and say to not have to go to bed. The book is by Mo Willems and is a part of his Pigeon series. I level for this book could be preschool level or early elementary grades. This is a good book for parents to use before bed time. Also teachers could use it in the classroom. This book can t ...more
The Pigeon is trying to convince the audience that he’s not tired, but he can’t stop yawning. First, he says he's in a mood for a hot dog party. Then, he mentions that there will be a good show on about birds. The "not so tired" pigeon keeps giving excuses, but at the end of the book he falls asleep. I would use this book to have children practice their listening and speaking skills. After reading this book, I would have children get together in pairs and act out the story. They would have had t ...more
Read this a few times and re-read it today. This is a good series, but the real jewel is Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. After you've read that the rest are just ho-hum.

I like reading this to kids because they love to shout the wrong answer...May I stay up late? YES!!! They all scream! Then their mothers and preschool teachers get upset.

Don't hassle your kids for participating in a story! I say, LET THEM EAT CAKE.

This is another one of those wonderful Mo Willems that seemingly talks to the reader and puts them in charge of taking care of an insolent pigeon. With cute illustrations and a task of putting a bird to bed who doesn't want to go, it's a story any child can relate to. Adorable and engaging for all ages, my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds both loved it. A great addition to any children's library.
Mar 12, 2008 Heidi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Heidi by: Leonardo the Terrible of course!
Shelves: childrens-books
We LOVED this book! Maybe because it totally reminds us of a 4 year old we know! So perfect for bedtime! We often refer to the pigeon now when a certain girl's bedtime routine is getting more and more dragged out! She just laughs, but it helped her to have a better understanding of what she is actually doing (delaying having to go to bed)! Plus, it is just hilarious!
A wonderful, refreshingly unusual picture book for preschool-aged children, this installment of the "Pigeon books" continues a series of great, participation-encouraging read aloud picture books by the witty, indomitable Mo Willems. This Pigeon, much like the headstrong young children reading the book, will try anything to get what he wants at the moment--and this time, he wants to stay up late. But don't let him!

The expressions Pigeon have throughout this book are great. Willems' art is very ex
In Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late by Mo Willems, the reader is given the responsibility to make sure the pigeon does not stay up late. The pigeon begs and gives excuses as to why he should be able to stay up, and even ties to employ the use of a small bunny that you wouldn't be able to say no to. As the pigeon continues giving reasons why he should be able to stay up later, he begins to yawn and the reader realizes quickly that no matter what the pigeon says, he is tired! No matter how many t ...more
Elissa Still
Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! is about a young and rambunctious pigeon that has a million ideas of how he wants to spend his night, and sleeping isn’t one of them. The reading level for this book is preschool and kindergarten.

Comments/observations: This book was a quick and playful read, with minimal wording and pictures. However, since the Pigeon is very disrespectful during the story, this may send the wrong message to readers. The storyline within this book is good, and had good inten
Alicia Samson
I thought this was a really cute book. I thought it was funny how out of all the things he could do, he wanted to have a hot dog party. I would definitely read this book and the other pigeon books to my nieces. I would recommend this book to small children, but adults would enjoy reading it too.
Elizabeth Walker
As the title suggests this book is about a pigeon that wants to stay up late. The genre of this book is picture book fantasy because clearly animals do not talk in real life. I gave the book five stars because I found it very funny and entertaining. I think it is a great book for young kids because every child has tried to stay up late like the pigeon does in the book. This then incorporates the theme of how in the end every child needs their sleep. If the book is read aloud, it gives the childr ...more
Jul 05, 2008 Dolly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading to young children
Shelves: childrens, 2007
Our girls love this story! Great for bedtime. We have read it over and over and they never get tired of it. And best of all, neither do I! As the girls grow older they enjoy answering the pigeon with a resounding "NO!" while I do all the pleading and begging.
  • Little Hoot
  • Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach (Scaredy Squirrel)
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Dinosaur vs. Bedtime
  • Not a Stick
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • Dooby Dooby Moo
  • David Gets In Trouble
  • Chickens to the Rescue
  • Olivia Saves the Circus
  • Duck & Goose
  • Count the Monkeys
  • Bats at the Library
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems...

Pigeon (8 books)
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
  • The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
  • The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!
  • The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?
  • The Pigeon Needs a Bath!
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!