Start by marking “Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!” as Want to Read:
Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!

Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (Pigeon)

4.35  ·  Rating Details ·  21,227 Ratings  ·  747 Reviews
PreSchool-Grade 2-The star of Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Hyperion, 2003) returns in another irresistible tale. Hurrying away to brush his teeth, the pajama-clad bus driver implores readers not to let his feathered friend stay up late. Youngsters are thrust into the role of caregiver as the puerile pigeon attempts to talk his way out of the inevitable, coming up w ...more
Published February 28th 2006 by Disney-Hyperion

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone
Voices & Sounds - Best Read Alouds for Young Children
21st out of 520 books — 560 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
235th out of 3,705 books — 5,375 voters

More lists with this book...

Lesley
Nov 19, 2015 Lesley rated it it was amazing
begs to stay up and has all the excuses!
Hahah! The pigeon is absolutely hilarous, my favorite part is when the pigeon is stalling and all of a sudden says, "tell me about your day..." nice try pigeon.
eli
Dec 18, 2013 eli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed
Apparently I bought this one for my neice and didn't remember doing it. But that's okay, because I got story time last night. :-D
Ronyell
Feb 09, 2013 Ronyell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Mo Willems!!!
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!, The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? and The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!. These are all the books I had read so far from Mo Willems’ popular “Pigeon” series! Recently, I had read another book from Mo Willems’ fantastic “Pigeon” series and it is called “Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay up Late!” With witty dialogue and cute illustrations, “Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay up Late!” is a fantastic read for children who are fans of the “Pigeon” series!

When the Bus Driver tells the readers
Brenda
Oct 04, 2015 Brenda rated it liked it
Shelves: meh, okay
Last book of the series. The duckling is the real hero haha.
Liz BooksandStuff
Jun 27, 2016 Liz BooksandStuff rated it did not like it
After reading this book to a bunch of four year olds, repeatedly, for half a year, it is a surprise I still have my sanity. My heart is given out to my coworkers who still have to read this.
David
Jan 06, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, humor
Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (Pigeon #2) by Mo Willems is a humorous look at anyone who begs to stay up late, even when it's obviously bedtime.

The story begins with the pajama-clad bus driver imploring readers not to let his feathered friend stay up late. Pigeon proceeds to cajole, manipulate, persuade and beg to stay up late. Pigeon makes up lots of excuses and has silly ideas. As he does, however, yawns keep escaping from him, until finally Pigeon dozes off, clutching his stuffed bunny.
RitaSkeeter
Dec 04, 2014 RitaSkeeter rated it really liked it
The pigeon has a thousand reasons why he shouldn't go to bed; from the classic 'I need a drink of water' to the more inventive 'we never talk any more'. This was another fun adventure from the pigeon, but not one of my favourites.

My rating: 4/5
Master 6's rating: 5/5
Master 3's rating:5/5
Thương
Aug 22, 2015 Thương rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
Y chang Bảo Bối ở nhà. Rõ ràng là buồn ngủ mắt díp hết cả lại nhưng ham vui nhất quyết không chịu đi ngủ, đến khi bế một chặp cho vào phòng yên tĩnh quay ra quay vào đã thấy cuộn tròn.
Nisha
Jul 15, 2016 Nisha rated it really liked it
This book is hilarious. I tried reading it to my 15 month son, it didn't take, but I'm sure he'll enjoy it soon enough.
Kari
Jan 24, 2015 Kari rated it it was amazing
Mo Willams my go-to guy to make me the BEST read-aloud librarian....I have an inner pigeon....i must since acting it out is so easy
Kelly
Aug 09, 2016 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Mo Willems rules! Kids get to be in charge of bed time for this pigeon in a super fun participation read-aloud! My kids LOVED it for years.
Tatiana
Jun 05, 2012 Tatiana rated it really liked it
For anyone who's ever had to wrestle (metaphorically) a toddler or preschooler into bed, Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! will ring alarmingly true. In the pigeon character, Mo Willems captures the voice, mannerisms, and bargaining tactics of children that age when bedtime means not going to sleep but missing out on everything else.

The illustrations remain an integral ingredient to the storytelling, blocky and expressive like a comic book, with the narrative contained to dialogue bubbles. Thi
Ally
Mar 29, 2016 Ally added it
Title: Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late
Author: Mo Willems
Genre: Early Reader
Theme(s): Bedtime/Excuses
Opening line/sentence: “Oh, good, it’s you.”
Brief Book Summary: This book is all about how the pigeon does not want to go to sleep. He tries everything to convince you to let him stay up until, eventually, he falls asleep.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1: Karen Coates, Reviewer (The Bulletin of the Center for Children s Books, May 2006 (Vol. 59, No. 9))
Willems irascible, steely-eyed pigeon
Chris Shue
Feb 01, 2016 Chris Shue rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal, favorites, funny
Love the end!
Taylor Schnepf
Mar 29, 2015 Taylor Schnepf rated it really liked it
As a man leaves, he asks you to not let the pigeon stay up late. Of course the pigeon doesn’t wanna sleep quite yet so the bird tries to manipulate to let him stay up. He asks if he could throw a party, if he could watch tv, then he says that studies show that pigeons don't even need that much sleep, he also even asks how your day was. Until he just can't stay up any longer, he ends up being tired and falls asleep on his own.

The illustrations all have very light colors for the backgrounds of ea
Christina Hyde
Feb 15, 2015 Christina Hyde rated it really liked it
This book about a very creative little pigeon is one of many, in this adventure the pigeon (like many kids) is determined to stay up later than his bedtime. His caretaker confides in the reader at the beginning of the story to "Make sure the pigeon doesn't stay up late!" This book is great at involving readers and making them feel personally responsible for getting the pigeon to bed.

This book uses dark grays, blues, and lavenders to give the story a feeling of late at night, all colors are subdu
Desiree Schirg
Jan 31, 2015 Desiree Schirg rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book is about a talking pigeon who tries to to persuade the reader that it is not tired and to allow it to stay up late. This is a humorous story and many children can relate to having a bedtime and not wanting to go to bed. The pigeon has many reasons to try and convince the reader that it should stay up late and gives children a chance to interact with the character by being the one to say "No" to the pigeon. This book features funny illustrations to accompany the hilarious comments made ...more
Elisa
Jul 03, 2014 Elisa rated it really liked it
Don't let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! by Mo Willems is about a talking pigeon who tries to convince the reader that she is no tired and does not need to go to sleep! This funny story can be enjoyed for young children in grades 1-3. This storybook features funny illustrations to accompany the hilarious comments made by the pigeon.

I would use this text as a way to introduce to students how they can incorporate dialogue into their writing or storytelling. I might first ask students to notice the way
Corine
Feb 02, 2015 Corine rated it it was amazing
In this story, the reader is very interactive with the plot. The nice man at the beginning of the story asks the reader to make sure the main character, the pigeon, goes to bed on time and does not stay up late. The pigeon in the book represents a fellow child or potentially the reader. The pigeon is very stubborn and does not want to go to sleep, which is a common theme among young children.

The pigeon is ruthless to stay up late and comes up with many differing strategies. These ideas of gettin
Sandra Balderas
Feb 10, 2015 Sandra Balderas rated it it was amazing
The book starts off in a very interactive way by asking the readers a question. The question asks if they can do the owner of the pigeon a favor. He asks to not let the pigeon stay up late and as you flip the page you meet the pigeon that exclaims that he is not tired. The rest of the book is just the pigeon talking back and forth with the reader and thinking to himself a lot. He explains how he wants to have hot dog party, watch TV, and do many other things, except go to sleep. It is very funny ...more
Katherina Mccarthy
Jun 23, 2014 Katherina Mccarthy rated it really liked it
The pigeon is back and as manipulative as ever after the first book entitled ’Don’t Let the Pideon Drive the Bus’. This instalment is as simple and entertaining as the first. It sees a very clever pigeon trying it’s hardest to persuade the reader to allow it to stay up late. It uses many familiar tactics in this quest including ‘We never get to talk anymore’ and ‘Can I have a glass of water?’, something of its readers will relate to!

This book is truly hilarious from start to end. The language us
Jordan
Oct 25, 2013 Jordan rated it really liked it
This was pretty much me as a kid. I never wanted to go to bed and my parents set a bedtime for me that was, in my humble child opinion, tyrannical. Actually, this is still me. Except now I don't have an imposed bedtime. I have an "I have to get up and work and/or do school stuff" bedtime. And I know I should go to bed, but I don't. Just like the pigeon, I think of every reason not to go to bed. In that aspect, I doubt I will ever grow up.

Also, I love the pictures!
Jasmine
Dec 08, 2014 Jasmine rated it really liked it
Don’t let the Pigeon Drive Stay Up Late is a story about a man who doesn’t allow the pigeons to stay up late, however the pigeon doesn’t really want to go to bed. This is another Willems classic, where the pigeon is the main character in teaching a lesson to the intended reader and audience. I personally love the style of book the Willems has created because its all about the overall message of the plot and the walk away message that really matters at the end of the story. Even though the charac ...more
Sarah Sammis
Dec 17, 2009 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pc, read-in-2006
Sean's last Hanukkah gift was two books by Mo Willems: The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog and Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late. Parents will find this story of the pigeon who doesn't want to go to bed very funny. I think I've heard every excuse that the pigeon uses from Sean. As with the other pigeon books the narrator warns the reader about the pigeon and his need to go to bed. After he leaves, the pigeon speaks to the reader, trying to stay up as late as possible.
Ashley Kerns
Apr 28, 2014 Ashley Kerns rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Preschool/primary grades
Recommended to Ashley by: TCH&LRN 307
This book is about a guy who doesn’t want us to let the pigeon stay up late, but the pigeon doesn’t want to go to bed. The pigeon explains to us how he is not tired at all and tries and thinks of everything to do and say to not have to go to bed. The book is by Mo Willems and is a part of his Pigeon series. I level for this book could be preschool level or early elementary grades. This is a good book for parents to use before bed time. Also teachers could use it in the classroom. This book can t ...more
Kathleen
The Pigeon is trying to convince the audience that he’s not tired, but he can’t stop yawning. First, he says he's in a mood for a hot dog party. Then, he mentions that there will be a good show on about birds. The "not so tired" pigeon keeps giving excuses, but at the end of the book he falls asleep. I would use this book to have children practice their listening and speaking skills. After reading this book, I would have children get together in pairs and act out the story. They would have had t ...more
Slytano
Feb 25, 2013 Slytano rated it liked it
Read this a few times and re-read it today. This is a good series, but the real jewel is Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. After you've read that the rest are just ho-hum.

I like reading this to kids because they love to shout the wrong answer...May I stay up late? YES!!! They all scream! Then their mothers and preschool teachers get upset.

Don't hassle your kids for participating in a story! I say, LET THEM EAT CAKE.

midnightfaerie
Sep 16, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is another one of those wonderful Mo Willems that seemingly talks to the reader and puts them in charge of taking care of an insolent pigeon. With cute illustrations and a task of putting a bird to bed who doesn't want to go, it's a story any child can relate to. Adorable and engaging for all ages, my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds both loved it. A great addition to any children's library.
  • Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend (Scaredy Squirrel)
  • Little Hoot
  • Dooby Dooby Moo
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Good Boy, Fergus!
  • Dinosaur vs. Bedtime
  • Maybe a Bear Ate It!
  • Interrupting Chicken
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • Bear Feels Sick
  • Chicks Run Wild
  • Llama Llama Mad at Mama
  • Not a Box
  • Chickens to the Rescue
  • Olivia and the Missing Toy
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems...

Pigeon (8 books)
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
  • The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
  • The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!
  • The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?
  • The Pigeon Needs a Bath!

“First of all, I'm not even tired.” 0 likes