Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!

Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (Pigeon)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  14,873 ratings  ·  601 reviews
PreSchool-Grade 2-The star of Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Hyperion, 2003) returns in another irresistible tale. Hurrying away to brush his teeth, the pajama-clad bus driver implores readers not to let his feathered friend stay up late. Youngsters are thrust into the role of caregiver as the puerile pigeon attempts to talk his way out of the inevitable, coming up w...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner
Voices & Sounds - Best Read Alouds for Young Children
17th out of 389 books — 412 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
219th out of 3,047 books — 4,502 voters

More lists with this book...

Killer Rabbit
Tomorrow is the first day of school here, and I'm fondly remembering this book...
When my daughters were small, we loved reading this book together. Oh, how we reveled in the pigeon's determination not to succumb to his tiredness!

How hard it is to shut down the brain when you are certain that sleep is a shameless thief of time that could be better spent in some other pursuit. Especially if, over the years, one has come to perceive sleep as the little death. Could it be that children intuitively s...more
Snorkle
Hahah! The pigeon is absolutely hilarous, my favorite part is when the pigeon is stalling and all of a sudden says, "tell me about your day..." nice try pigeon.
Ronyell
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!, The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? and The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!. These are all the books I had read so far from Mo Willems’ popular “Pigeon” series! Recently, I had read another book from Mo Willems’ fantastic “Pigeon” series and it is called “Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay up Late!” With witty dialogue and cute illustrations, “Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay up Late!” is a fantastic read for children who are fans of the “Pigeon” series!

When the Bus Driver tells the readers...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Oh my goodness. I laughed so loud my 14 yo son decided he had to read it too. He chuckled. I'm sure he'll enjoy it more when he's a daddy and his little one says 'Pleeeease, five more minutes? I'm not tired!'
eli
Apparently I bought this one for my neice and didn't remember doing it. But that's okay, because I got story time last night. :-D
David
Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (Pigeon #2) by Mo Willems is a humorous look at anyone who begs to stay up late, even when it's obviously bedtime.

The story begins with the pajama-clad bus driver imploring readers not to let his feathered friend stay up late. Pigeon proceeds to cajole, manipulate, persuade and beg to stay up late. Pigeon makes up lots of excuses and has silly ideas. As he does, however, yawns keep escaping from him, until finally Pigeon dozes off, clutching his stuffed bunny....more
Tatiana
For anyone who's ever had to wrestle (metaphorically) a toddler or preschooler into bed, Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! will ring alarmingly true. In the pigeon character, Mo Willems captures the voice, mannerisms, and bargaining tactics of children that age when bedtime means not going to sleep but missing out on everything else.

The illustrations remain an integral ingredient to the storytelling, blocky and expressive like a comic book, with the narrative contained to dialogue bubbles. Thi...more
Elisa
Don't let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! by Mo Willems is about a talking pigeon who tries to convince the reader that she is no tired and does not need to go to sleep! This funny story can be enjoyed for young children in grades 1-3. This storybook features funny illustrations to accompany the hilarious comments made by the pigeon.

I would use this text as a way to introduce to students how they can incorporate dialogue into their writing or storytelling. I might first ask students to notice the way...more
Katherina Mccarthy
The pigeon is back and as manipulative as ever after the first book entitled ’Don’t Let the Pideon Drive the Bus’. This instalment is as simple and entertaining as the first. It sees a very clever pigeon trying it’s hardest to persuade the reader to allow it to stay up late. It uses many familiar tactics in this quest including ‘We never get to talk anymore’ and ‘Can I have a glass of water?’, something of its readers will relate to!

This book is truly hilarious from start to end. The language us...more
Jordan
This was pretty much me as a kid. I never wanted to go to bed and my parents set a bedtime for me that was, in my humble child opinion, tyrannical. Actually, this is still me. Except now I don't have an imposed bedtime. I have an "I have to get up and work and/or do school stuff" bedtime. And I know I should go to bed, but I don't. Just like the pigeon, I think of every reason not to go to bed. In that aspect, I doubt I will ever grow up.

Also, I love the pictures!
Sarah Sammis
Sean's last Hanukkah gift was two books by Mo Willems: The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog and Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late. Parents will find this story of the pigeon who doesn't want to go to bed very funny. I think I've heard every excuse that the pigeon uses from Sean. As with the other pigeon books the narrator warns the reader about the pigeon and his need to go to bed. After he leaves, the pigeon speaks to the reader, trying to stay up as late as possible.
Maegan
My sister showed me this book at Barnes and Noble when picking up some books for her son. I had never heard of this series before but read this one and instantly am a fan! Got it for my nephew and I know he will love to hear it but I also can't wait to read it to him!
Ashley Kerns
Apr 28, 2014 Ashley Kerns rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Preschool/primary grades
Recommended to Ashley by: TCH&LRN 307
This book is about a guy who doesn’t want us to let the pigeon stay up late, but the pigeon doesn’t want to go to bed. The pigeon explains to us how he is not tired at all and tries and thinks of everything to do and say to not have to go to bed. The book is by Mo Willems and is a part of his Pigeon series. I level for this book could be preschool level or early elementary grades. This is a good book for parents to use before bed time. Also teachers could use it in the classroom. This book can t...more
Kathleen
The Pigeon is trying to convince the audience that he’s not tired, but he can’t stop yawning. First, he says he's in a mood for a hot dog party. Then, he mentions that there will be a good show on about birds. The "not so tired" pigeon keeps giving excuses, but at the end of the book he falls asleep. I would use this book to have children practice their listening and speaking skills. After reading this book, I would have children get together in pairs and act out the story. They would have had t...more
Jason Slayton
Read this a few times and re-read it today. This is a good series, but the real jewel is Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. After you've read that the rest are just ho-hum.

I like reading this to kids because they love to shout the wrong answer...May I stay up late? YES!!! They all scream! Then their mothers and preschool teachers get upset.

Don't hassle your kids for participating in a story! I say, LET THEM EAT CAKE.

midnightfaerie
This is another one of those wonderful Mo Willems that seemingly talks to the reader and puts them in charge of taking care of an insolent pigeon. With cute illustrations and a task of putting a bird to bed who doesn't want to go, it's a story any child can relate to. Adorable and engaging for all ages, my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds both loved it. A great addition to any children's library.
Heidi
Mar 12, 2008 Heidi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Heidi by: Leonardo the Terrible of course!
Shelves: childrens-books
We LOVED this book! Maybe because it totally reminds us of a 4 year old we know! So perfect for bedtime! We often refer to the pigeon now when a certain girl's bedtime routine is getting more and more dragged out! She just laughs, but it helped her to have a better understanding of what she is actually doing (delaying having to go to bed)! Plus, it is just hilarious!
Brandi
A wonderful, refreshingly unusual picture book for preschool-aged children, this installment of the "Pigeon books" continues a series of great, participation-encouraging read aloud picture books by the witty, indomitable Mo Willems. This Pigeon, much like the headstrong young children reading the book, will try anything to get what he wants at the moment--and this time, he wants to stay up late. But don't let him!

The expressions Pigeon have throughout this book are great. Willems' art is very ex...more
Alicia Samson
I thought this was a really cute book. I thought it was funny how out of all the things he could do, he wanted to have a hot dog party. I would definitely read this book and the other pigeon books to my nieces. I would recommend this book to small children, but adults would enjoy reading it too.
Dolly
Jul 05, 2008 Dolly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading to young children
Shelves: childrens, 2007
Our girls love this story! Great for bedtime. We have read it over and over and they never get tired of it. And best of all, neither do I! As the girls grow older they enjoy answering the pigeon with a resounding "NO!" while I do all the pleading and begging.
Heather Barrett
Apr 01, 2014 Heather Barrett rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone with young children or teachers of younger grades
This book is a very cute story that allows children to interact with the pigeon by telling him no to his repeated requests to stay up late. This can give children a sense of empowerment since they are getting to turn the tables on their own life. Instead of being told no to their requests if they ask their parents something the children get to be the ones to say no to the pigeon’s requests. It has simple pictures that add to the charm of the story. Another aspect that might appeal to children is...more
Inspired Kathy
One of my favorite "Pigeon" books. I think my kids have used just about every excuse in this book to stay up late.
Denise
Take notes, kids! (These tactics might work for you, even if Pigeon didn't get his way.)
elissa
The third, and my least favorite, of the pigeon books. But it's still really good!
stephanie
i love this book so hard. it reminds me of my sister. the pigeon is the best.
Stacker
Another win by Mo Willems. We finished this one the day after Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! and this one resonated more with me as the parent so I enjoyed it more. The pigeon wants to stay up late and uses all the excuses my K-grade kid would; same with the other book, he answered the pigeon at all the appropriate times so this series is very recommended.
Nojood Alsudairi
Another copy of the bus one. Not as good.
JJ
Sep 23, 2007 JJ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children 4 and up
Shelves: picturebooks
hi-yi-yi-yi-yi silly silly funny funy
Jody
I own Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! and have for a number of years as a preschool teacher. After using this book for at least the last five years, I find it a great book to use to talk the preschool children to lead into a discussion why on school nights they should go to bed early so they are ready for school the next day. The story has a list of things that children try to get to stay up a little later and we go through the list and talk about how doing this just makes you tired the next...more
Margaret Henderson
Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late by Mo Willems is a very comedic book. The way you read the book aloud is really up to the individual but in my personal opinion the more exaggerated the better! This adventurous, persuasive story will have you laughing out loud. The cute bird is quite the character! The pictures are simple, yet do a great job in aiding the story line! A wonderful story of bedtime activities; brushing your teeth, getting your PJs on, etc. Would be a great read before bedtime.
  • Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend (Scaredy Squirrel)
  • Little Hoot
  • Chickens to the Rescue
  • Olivia Saves the Circus
  • Press Here
  • Bear Feels Sick
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r...more
More about Mo Willems...
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!