Start by marking “Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!” as Want to Read:
Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!

Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (Pigeon)

4.35  ·  Rating Details ·  21,666 Ratings  ·  743 Reviews
PreSchool-Grade 2-The star of Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Hyperion, 2003) returns in another irresistible tale. Hurrying away to brush his teeth, the pajama-clad bus driver implores readers not to let his feathered friend stay up late. Youngsters are thrust into the role of caregiver as the puerile pigeon attempts to talk his way out of the inevitable, coming up w ...more
Published February 28th 2006 by Disney-Hyperion

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone
Voices & Sounds - Best Read Alouds for Young Children
21st out of 520 books — 561 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
230th out of 3,706 books — 5,288 voters

More lists with this book...

Nov 19, 2015 Lesley rated it it was amazing
begs to stay up and has all the excuses!
Hahah! The pigeon is absolutely hilarous, my favorite part is when the pigeon is stalling and all of a sudden says, "tell me about your day..." nice try pigeon.
Dec 18, 2013 eli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed
Apparently I bought this one for my neice and didn't remember doing it. But that's okay, because I got story time last night. :-D
Feb 09, 2013 Ronyell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Mo Willems!!!
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!, The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? and The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!. These are all the books I had read so far from Mo Willems’ popular “Pigeon” series! Recently, I had read another book from Mo Willems’ fantastic “Pigeon” series and it is called “Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay up Late!” With witty dialogue and cute illustrations, “Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay up Late!” is a fantastic read for children who are fans of the “Pigeon” series!

When the Bus Driver tells the readers
Liz BooksandStuff
Jun 27, 2016 Liz BooksandStuff rated it did not like it
After reading this book to a bunch of four year olds, repeatedly, for half a year, it is a surprise I still have my sanity. My heart is given out to my coworkers who still have to read this.
Oct 04, 2015 Brenda rated it liked it
Shelves: meh, okay
Last book of the series. The duckling is the real hero haha.
Jan 06, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, humor
Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (Pigeon #2) by Mo Willems is a humorous look at anyone who begs to stay up late, even when it's obviously bedtime.

The story begins with the pajama-clad bus driver imploring readers not to let his feathered friend stay up late. Pigeon proceeds to cajole, manipulate, persuade and beg to stay up late. Pigeon makes up lots of excuses and has silly ideas. As he does, however, yawns keep escaping from him, until finally Pigeon dozes off, clutching his stuffed bunny.
Jun 05, 2012 Tatiana rated it really liked it
For anyone who's ever had to wrestle (metaphorically) a toddler or preschooler into bed, Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! will ring alarmingly true. In the pigeon character, Mo Willems captures the voice, mannerisms, and bargaining tactics of children that age when bedtime means not going to sleep but missing out on everything else.

The illustrations remain an integral ingredient to the storytelling, blocky and expressive like a comic book, with the narrative contained to dialogue bubbles. Thi
Feb 25, 2013 Slytano rated it liked it
Read this a few times and re-read it today. This is a good series, but the real jewel is Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. After you've read that the rest are just ho-hum.

I like reading this to kids because they love to shout the wrong answer...May I stay up late? YES!!! They all scream! Then their mothers and preschool teachers get upset.

Don't hassle your kids for participating in a story! I say, LET THEM EAT CAKE.

Oct 25, 2013 Jordan rated it really liked it
This was pretty much me as a kid. I never wanted to go to bed and my parents set a bedtime for me that was, in my humble child opinion, tyrannical. Actually, this is still me. Except now I don't have an imposed bedtime. I have an "I have to get up and work and/or do school stuff" bedtime. And I know I should go to bed, but I don't. Just like the pigeon, I think of every reason not to go to bed. In that aspect, I doubt I will ever grow up.

Also, I love the pictures!
Sarah Sammis
Dec 17, 2009 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pc, read-in-2006
Sean's last Hanukkah gift was two books by Mo Willems: The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog and Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late. Parents will find this story of the pigeon who doesn't want to go to bed very funny. I think I've heard every excuse that the pigeon uses from Sean. As with the other pigeon books the narrator warns the reader about the pigeon and his need to go to bed. After he leaves, the pigeon speaks to the reader, trying to stay up as late as possible.
Mar 12, 2008 Heidi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Heidi by: Leonardo the Terrible of course!
Shelves: childrens-books
We LOVED this book! Maybe because it totally reminds us of a 4 year old we know! So perfect for bedtime! We often refer to the pigeon now when a certain girl's bedtime routine is getting more and more dragged out! She just laughs, but it helped her to have a better understanding of what she is actually doing (delaying having to go to bed)! Plus, it is just hilarious!
Sep 16, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is another one of those wonderful Mo Willems that seemingly talks to the reader and puts them in charge of taking care of an insolent pigeon. With cute illustrations and a task of putting a bird to bed who doesn't want to go, it's a story any child can relate to. Adorable and engaging for all ages, my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds both loved it. A great addition to any children's library.
Dec 04, 2014 RitaSkeeter rated it really liked it
The pigeon has a thousand reasons why he shouldn't go to bed; from the classic 'I need a drink of water' to the more inventive 'we never talk any more'. This was another fun adventure from the pigeon, but not one of my favourites.

My rating: 4/5
Master 6's rating: 5/5
Master 3's rating:5/5
Mar 23, 2016 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When I share this with a group of children we rehearse together what we are going to say when the pigeon tries to get us to let him stay up late. "NO!"

The children absolutely LOVE saying "NO!" And all the excuses are very familiar to them.
Alicia Samson
Mar 01, 2013 Alicia Samson rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a really cute book. I thought it was funny how out of all the things he could do, he wanted to have a hot dog party. I would definitely read this book and the other pigeon books to my nieces. I would recommend this book to small children, but adults would enjoy reading it too.
Jul 05, 2008 Dolly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents reading to young children
Shelves: childrens, 2007, humor
Our girls love this story! Great for bedtime. We have read it over and over and they never get tired of it. And best of all, neither do I! As the girls grow older they enjoy answering the pigeon with a resounding "NO!" while I do all the pleading and begging.
Heather the Hillbilly Banjo Queen
Nov 10, 2008 Heather the Hillbilly Banjo Queen rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
These pigeon books have got to be the stupidest, most idiotic children's books I have ever run across. What is all the hype about? I've read better print on the back of cereal boxes.
Jan 24, 2015 Kari rated it it was amazing
Mo Willams my go-to guy to make me the BEST read-aloud librarian....I have an inner pigeon....i must since acting it out is so easy
Apr 10, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book works really well with groups of preschool aged kids- have them yell "No!" to all the questions the Pigeon asks- they will consider it high comedy.
Jul 15, 2016 Nisha rated it really liked it
This book is hilarious. I tried reading it to my 15 month son, it didn't take, but I'm sure he'll enjoy it soon enough.
Aug 09, 2016 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Mo Willems rules! Kids get to be in charge of bed time for this pigeon in a super fun participation read-aloud! My kids LOVED it for years.
Aug 22, 2015 Thương rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
Y chang Bảo Bối ở nhà. Rõ ràng là buồn ngủ mắt díp hết cả lại nhưng ham vui nhất quyết không chịu đi ngủ, đến khi bế một chặp cho vào phòng yên tĩnh quay ra quay vào đã thấy cuộn tròn.
Inspired Kathy
May 29, 2009 Inspired Kathy rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite "Pigeon" books. I think my kids have used just about every excuse in this book to stay up late.
Nov 19, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal, favorites, funny
Love the end!
Apr 07, 2010 stephanie rated it it was amazing
i love this book so hard. it reminds me of my sister. the pigeon is the best.
Jan 06, 2009 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Take notes, kids! (These tactics might work for you, even if Pigeon didn't get his way.)
Ana Maria Rînceanu
Now I'm sleepy. Great.
Sep 19, 2007 elissa rated it really liked it
The third, and my least favorite, of the pigeon books. But it's still really good!
Sep 23, 2007 JJ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children 4 and up
Shelves: picturebooks
hi-yi-yi-yi-yi silly silly funny funy
  • Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend (Scaredy Squirrel)
  • Little Hoot
  • Dooby Dooby Moo
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Good Boy, Fergus!
  • Dinosaur vs. Bedtime
  • Maybe a Bear Ate It!
  • Interrupting Chicken
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • Bear Feels Sick
  • Chicks Run Wild
  • Llama Llama Mad at Mama
  • Not a Box
  • Chickens to the Rescue
  • Olivia and the Missing Toy
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems...

Pigeon (8 books)
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
  • The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
  • The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!
  • The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?
  • The Pigeon Needs a Bath!

“First of all, I'm not even tired.” 0 likes