Start by marking “Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!” as Want to Read:
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Pigeon)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  60,769 Ratings  ·  2,744 Reviews
When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-a pigeon! But you've never met one like this before. As he pleads, wheedles, and begs his way through the book, children will love being able to answer back and decide his fate. In his hilarious picture book debut, popular cartoonist Mo Willems perfectly captures a presch ...more
Published July 5th 2004 by Walker Books Ltd (first published April 1st 2003)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

Sorry, OKAY? I'm sure that many readers can make well-thought analyzes of this book but :

1) I kinda hate that freaking pigeon.

UGHH so annoying, I swear.

2) I must have read it wrong : I don't see the point at all except making children yell NO!! I mean, good for you, but in my experience, it's not something that hard to achieve now is it? There are books way more interesting that get the readers involved.

3) I must have seen the pictures wrong, because I thought that they were pretty awful, and H
Brent Weeks
Sep 02, 2015 Brent Weeks rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
The friendly bus driver entrusts the reader with not letting the pigeon drive the bus. The rest of the story is the pigeon wheedling the reader to let him drive the bus.

I really like this idea. Younger kids can just read the story and see the pigeon throwing a fit. It’s funny, the pigeon’s silly and tries all the sorts of excuses and whining that a child uses when they want anything.

BUT the text also allows you to take it further: the pigeon says, “Come on, just for 5 minutes?” You can turn to
Ronyell
I have read many books by Mo Willems that have been honored with the Caldecott Honor award, which included the “Knuffle Bunny” series. Now I have recently read “Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!” which is actually Mo Willems’ first children’s book and is a Caldecott Honor book and it is about how the Pigeon keeps asking the audience if he could drive the bus after the bus driver leaves to run an errand. “Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!” is truly a memorable book that children can read over ...more
Jenny
Jul 23, 2007 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those working with 2-5s
A short but snappy story from popular cartoonist Mo Willems. 'Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus' is guaranteed to leave you with a big smile on your face! I am not ashamed to say that this story brought out the dramatist in me as I read it out loud to a mother and toddler group!

The best part had to be the glorious double page spread of illustrations showing all of the pigeon's techniques to convince you to let him drive the bus... "Your MUM said that I could...", "I'll give you five pounds!" (
Philip
Apr 25, 2011 Philip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This was my daughter's first exposure to peer pressure. She let that bus driver know that under no circumstance would she let the pigeon drive the bus. Then, when the pigeon was begging and pleading with her, she held her ground and told that bird to back the freak off.

Well done. Keep that attitude when people are trying to talk you into buying smokes that cost $14.75 a pack.
Nafiza
Oct 22, 2016 Nafiza rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
So much fun.
Kathryn
Mar 19, 2009 Kathryn rated it liked it
3.5 STARS. I thought this was a well thought out book, but I'm not sure how much of dear little Pigeon I'll be able to take. Initially, I thought he was cute if rather whiny (The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!) This time, I thought he was borderline obnoxious and manipulative. Which, of course, is the point, I think! Maybe it's to illustrate the absurdity of kids trying to get their parents to let them do things that there is absolutely no way they can/should do!

It was, perhaps, just my mood and perhaps
Rossy
Jan 07, 2015 Rossy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
A bus driver has to leave for a moment and asks you (the reader), not to let the pigeon drive his bus.
But the pigeon really REALLY wants to drive the bus... and he tries to convince you, he pleads, he begs, will he finally drive it?
Hysterical, I loved the pigeon. Simple yet adorable book.
Renee
Apr 04, 2008 Renee rated it it was amazing
The illustrations and text will make children laugh hysterically as the pigeon gets more and more frustrated. This is an excellent book for demonstrating expressive reading.

Received starred reviews in SLJ and Booklist.
Chance Lee
Feb 16, 2017 Chance Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Willems takes advantage of every page in this story of a pigeon who really really (really) wants to drive the bus. Every page -- the title page, the endpapers. Even the copyright page says "all rights reserved for humans, not pigeons." The artwork is nice, a combination of thick black outlines textured as if drawn with a colored pencil, and smooth ink filling the outlines. Minimalistic, but gets the job done. Unlike pigeon (who doesn't get to drive the bus).
Brenda Cregor
Aug 15, 2010 Brenda Cregor rated it did not like it
Someone get me some crayons and a word processor with Courier font! There is hope for me to become a published author, yet. :0)

I do not understand why this book EVER won the Caldecott Award ( for illustrations), and with all of my analytic powers have yet to understand the significance of the storyline.

Is it about emotional intelligence?
A masked attack on "bird brained" people?
Union loyalty?

I am underwhelmed.
Tatiana
Mar 31, 2012 Tatiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! is an excellent example of a dialogue-driven children's book. You can't help but smile as the pigeon in question pleads his case for taking the giant vehicle around the block, perhaps because his reasonings are so similar to that of young kids' arguing style. The double-page, irreverent illustrations only add to the comedy of the pigeon's situation. A must for read-alouds in the primary grades.
midnightfaerie
Jun 21, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another wonderful Mo Willems book, that got the whole family involved. I've started reading to the kids over some meals, breakfast with cereal is a favorite one. It's gotten so that even one of my 2 yr old twins, Cole, has been asking me to read as soon as the cereal comes out. Willems is high on our list of favorites and this one was also read several times. Great illustrations and concept, it could almost be labeled a level 1 book for a beginner reader.
Jenn
Jun 27, 2013 Jenn rated it it was amazing
When I first saw this book, I thought it looked dumb. I was so wrong! It is hands-down the funniest, most enjoyable book for Zoe and me to read together. She laughs hysterically at the pigeon's pleading and his spiral into crazy over wanting to drive the bus. Highly recommend.
Tyreese
Dec 31, 2015 Tyreese rated it it was amazing
My all time favorite children's book in the world! The illustrations, the simple writing, everything about this book is amazing. It really brought me back to my childhood.. 5 stars!! ❤❤❤ ...more
Bam
Nov 29, 2016 Bam rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Very cute story.
I first encountered this book at a library story time, and it seems to me that's the type of audience that the book is most suited for -- a time when a group of children (who may or may not really enjoy trying to sit there quietly) get to interact with a book by shouting "NO!" over and over.

I think it really only works if the child being read to is in a mood to be interactive (they usually are), and if the reader knows/remembers to actually read it in a way that invites response.

On that level, I
Aaron Siclovan
Oct 25, 2014 Aaron Siclovan rated it liked it
The book is about a pigeon, who really wants to drive the bus. When the bus driver leaves the bus for just a little bit, he asks another pigeon to watch the bus and not let the other pigeon drive. Even if the 'willing drivers' insist a lot on asking permission to drive, he he will not be allowed to do so. The persistent pigeon swears that he is going to be careful, but nobody will let him drive, and when the bus driver returns he is thankful to find out that the pigeon did not drive his bus.

Thi
Agnieszka Cłapka
May 06, 2015 Agnieszka Cłapka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Absolutely hilarious! Actually, before I read the book, accidentally I stumbled across a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWEek...) which I watched a couple of times, and each time it made me laugh. My roommates liked it as well, which shows that such picture books and their adaptations are great fun both for children and adults.
Mo Willems’s style is not very complex, yet extremely expressive. Facial expressions of the characters and their gestures are simplified, but convey all the meani
Nina G.
Feb 15, 2013 Nina G. rated it really liked it
A school bus driver leaves his bus for a while and tells the readers "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive Drive the Bus!" A pigeon begs to be able to drive the bus even just for a little bit. The cartoons are simple yet hilarious.

My response: I never read this book before but I re-read it a couple of times and got some good laughs. It reminds me when I was a kid when I would always beg my parents to do something even after they said no. I found the book to be entertaining.

Classroom Connections: Students
Bonnie Ferrante
Apr 12, 2014 Bonnie Ferrante rated it really liked it
This book is a short humorous encounter with a frustrated pigeon. I was surprised to learn it is a Caldecott Honor Award book. The pictures are very simple crayon drawings with little on the page. It isn't a story as much as it's a conversation between the pigeon and the reader.

A bus driver leaves and tells the reader "Don't let the pigeon drive the bus!" From that point on, the pigeon tries to convince the reader to allow him to drive the bus. Immediately after he experiences an emotional break
Collin Tyson
Oct 20, 2015 Collin Tyson rated it it was amazing
I read this book to one of my fiends little sister (age 7)
The book was alright. Very short, fun, bright pictures and a good, interactive book for children.
Plot: A bus driver takes a break and asks you to make sure the Pigeon doesn't drive the bus. He continuously asks to drive it, and the expected response from the child is no. It is a short book.
I would recommend this to anybody who has a book loving child. This book is sure to entertain, and will keep the child interested and has an interacti
Sonal Hall
Sep 11, 2013 Sonal Hall rated it really liked it
After reading this book on the first week of the course it has stuck in my mind. Unlike most children's books, the illustrations in this book are not all that colourful which is interesting because you always assume they will be. However muted greys and beiges are used. The writing is entertaining in its own right, while the pictures help us to visualise the characters.
It is a very simple book in the sense that the writing is less but cleverly put and the pictures are simplistic and not over th
Teri-k
Aug 19, 2016 Teri-k rated it it was amazing
You practically have to tie my six year old grandson to a chair to read a story to him. Video games he loves, books not so much. So my hopes weren't high when I brought this book home from the library. I managed to read it to him once last night. He joined right in to the spirit of the book, telling the pigeon 'No' over and over. Then he asked to read it three more times. Then more at bedtime. He also asked if we had to return this one or could we keep it? This morning he talked about writing a ...more
Mar 30, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
- ages 2-6 -
Former Sesame Street writer Mo Willems's first children's book in a series starring the delightful blue pigeon. I liked the participatory element - story begins with the bus driver asking us to watch the bus for him while he takes a break. Also love the drawings and text - simple, yet really fresh and unique.
The rest of the line-up: Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!, The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!, The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!, The Pigeon Loves Things That Go! and The Pigeon Wants a
Liane
Nov 22, 2008 Liane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library
Genre: Picture Book

Reading Level: Early

Topics & Themes: Persistence and manipulation: Not taking no for an answer.

Curricular Use: Read aloud.

Literary Elements: Humor. Strong example of voice. Personification.

Text & Pictures: Interaction of text and pictures. The pictures convey the pigeons tone and expression, especially by the use of his eyeball. (And when he gets mad you know it).
A classic kids book that everybody should be able to say, "why, yes, I have read Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus!" This book is absolutely hilarous! Just looking at the pigeon's little face as he tries to convince you that he is ready and willing to drive that bus totally cracks me up. Mo Willems did a stellar job, I highly recommend this book.
Steve Griffin
Oct 15, 2016 Steve Griffin rated it it was amazing
This has got to be one of the best picture books ever. The only time you will love hearing your children shouting 'NO!'
Cynthia Egbert
Jan 12, 2015 Cynthia Egbert rated it it was ok
I suppose I need to find a small child to read this one with because I just don't get it. But I can now cross one more off of the hundred best children's books list.
Mia  Bakhthiar
Oct 03, 2015 Mia Bakhthiar rated it it was amazing
This pigeon is single-handedly changing my perception of picture books. Chalking it up to Dr Seuss' works.
Design Elements Review- Book 1 1 1 Jan 27, 2017 03:25PM
  • Ella Sarah Gets Dressed
  • Not a Box
  • First the Egg
  • A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • Press Here
  • Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
  • Kitten's First Full Moon
  • Interrupting Chicken
  • What Do You Do With a Tail Like This?
  • The Odd Egg
  • I'm a Shark
  • Creepy Carrots!
  • Spoon
  • I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems...

Pigeon (8 books)
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
  • The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
  • The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!
  • The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?
  • The Pigeon Needs a Bath!

“I bet your mom would let me."
-Pigeon, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus-”
72 likes