Start by marking “Cinderhazel: The Cinderella of Halloween” as Want to Read:
Cinderhazel: The Cinderella of Halloween

Cinderhazel: The Cinderella of Halloween

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Filled with wonderful details and funny mishaps, this spin on the classic Cinderella fairy tale is the perfect Halloween treat.

Published October 1st 2002 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published December 31st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Cinderhazel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cinderhazel

NS-Christine Johnson
Cinderhazel and her two stepsisters, Hermione and Hildy are witches. Hildy and Hermione have fun casting spells and learning curses, while Hazel cleans the floors. Hazel doesn't mind being dirty, she actually likes dirt, and wants her stepsisters to call her Cinderhazel!

The two stepsisters prepare to go to the Witches' Halloween Ball, but leave Cinderhazel home because they don't want to be seen with her. At first, Cinderhazel doesn't mind, but the more she thinks about it, the more angry she be
Taylor Ford
Cinderhazel: The Cinderella of Halloween by Deborah Nourse Lattimore was a very funny, and clever spin off of the classic story of Cinderella. The story is about a blonde witch named Cinderhazel, who lives with her mother and two sisters. All of them were invited to the Halloween Ball to meet Prince Alarming, which all of the sisters wanted to marry. The mother and two sisters left for the ball without Cinderhazel, so she was left behind. CInderhazel then tried all the spells she could think of ...more
Paige Freeman
This book was hilarious! I love the spin of the fairytale "Cinderella" that this story gives. I highly recommend this book to all ages. I like how it shows that it's OK to be yourself, even when people tease you for it. I would use this book during a fairytale unit when you would read multiple forms of "Cinderella" to your class and discuss the differences. I know there are MANY different forms of this story and I think it would be tons of fun to read all of them and have the students vote on wh ...more
Emily
Everybody knows about Cinderella, but do you know about Cinderhazel? This is a 'funny' take on Cinderella in a Halloween theme. It's aimed at Kindergarten - 2nd grade but I would make sure that whomever you are reading this to,is pretty well versed in the regular old tale of Cinderella. And also understands irony, and other weird jokes.

Basically, Cinderhazel likes to be dirty, really dirty. Why? Who knows, it's never explained. She has two evil stepsisters Hermoine and Hildy and an evil step-mot
Christina Cinfio
This is a twist to the original Cinderella story that we all know. Cinderhazel has two stepsisters name Herimone and Hildy. They are all witches but her sisters have fun with curses and spells while cinderhazel "cleans" the floors with dirt.

The two stepsisters are going to go to the Witches Halloween ball but Cinderhazel doesn't get to go because they don't want to be seen with her. Instead of the Cinderella story where she wants to go and cries because she can't Cinderhazel stays at home and c
Miri
This is a Halloween Witch parody of Cinderella, yet it still didn't manage to capture my attention.

Cinderhazel is a witch who loves dirt, her family leaves for the Prince Alarming's ball without her, her witchy godmother transforms her broken broom into a Hoopler vacuum cleaner and she flies to the ball and meets Prince Alarming who loves dirt as much as she does and they live filthily ever after.
Emily Bridenstine
This book was very different. It had Cinderhazel be a witch and be obsessed with dirt. That by itself is a big twist on Cinderella, as she has to clean the house and is very beautiful and dainty. The illustration style was slightly creepy and the story was too absurd to be taken seriously. Over-all, not one of my favorite children's books nor one I would include in my class library.
Danielle Messer
I think that students would use this book to compare it with Cinderella. I would say this book is for about 3rd or 4th grade due to the complex words inside the book. My favorite part in the book is when Cinderhazel rides the vacuum up into the chimney. It's funny how everything has to do with dirt with her.
Alissa Sparks
I find this book interesting because the girl Hazel loves to be dirty and dusty. Most girls I know love to be clean. This story taught me a different way of respecting others on or who they want to be. Children can learn that we need to find ways to respected others for the way they are.
Stacey Cross
Wow! Cinderhazel is definitely one of a kind. An interesting tale of dirt,vacuum cleaners and love. Cinderhazel is a determined witch who will not let anything come in between what she wants and what she thinks she deserves.
Madi Sharp
I did not like this story. I thought the illustrations were ugly, and quite scary. It taught that it was okay to not listen. I don't think that it is a good story for children and that the story was hard to follow.
Amanda Eastmond
I really liked this book! I love halloween and so I felt like this would be a great book to have during the fall season and that it was cleverly done. I also enjoyed how the illustrations were done.
Melissa Martin
This book didn't wow me too much. I thought the story was pretty cute, but the pictures confused me and didn't catch my eye too much.
This version of Cinderella is told with "3rd grade humor" but I did not find it very funny. Cinderhazel loves dirt and she spends a lot of time in the fireplace. Her stepsisters tease her and tell her she can't go to the Halloween Ball because she can't fly on her broom. She does go and meets Prince Filthy Alarming and they lived filthily ever after. I think there are a couple of bad messages in the story. The Prince does something because he was told not to and in the P.S. he gives her grass cl ...more
Megan Miller
Hazel loves dirt because that is what she is good at. She is not good at flying her broom. Fun story for Halloween time
Katie
"CIP Summary" Cinderhazel is a blond witch who loves dirt more than anything. When her stepsisters and stepmother fly oiff to attend the annual Halloween witches' ball, where the elusive Prince Alarming will make an appearance, they leave Cinderhazel behind. All her attempted spells turn to dust -- until her witchy fairy godmother appears and sends Cinderhazel off to meet the equally messy prince. Could this be the beginning of filthily ever after?

This book is a fun twist on the classic Cinderel
Anissa
fractured fairytale
 (NS) Maria
Wow! This is a different twist to "Cinderella" I like it. Cinderhazel
and her stepsisters are awaiting for the Witches Halloween Ball.
When Cinderhazel finds out the prince is the "King of Dirt" she zooms off to the palace with her broom. When she arrived, they had a few disagreements, but they worked it out and they lived happily ever after.

Valerie
I have had this book in my library all along but I'd never read it. Based on the kids' reaction in library class I gave it higher marks than I would have otherwise. Twists on the Cinderella fairy tale are all right, but the laughs it got with some more subtle humor than I would have thought first graders would enjoy put it right up there with read aloud favorites.
Lisa Rathbun
I found this obnoxious. Cinderhazel is an ugly witch who loves dirt. I'm sure there are plenty of kids who will be amused by this (including perhaps my own), but I prefer my Cinderellas romantic and lovely. If I want off-beat, I prefer "Cinderella Skeleton" which has a Tim Burton feel.
Lauren
This book is a spin off of the fairty tale story of Cinderella. It is about the Cinderella of Halloween. I read it to my pre-k class at the daycare I work at and they loved it. It has great emotional parts and if you really get into it while reading the kids will love it!
Ronster
Dec 02, 2007 Ronster rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades K-3
Fractured fairy tale. Cinderhazel loves to be dirty and finds a prince who loves it just as much. This is a humorous version of Cinderella with a fun twist. Cartoon illustrations. Use to compare and contrast fractured fairy tales about Cinderellla. A fun read aloud.
Anne Robertson
Great for making text to text connections and comparing this Cinderella story to the original cinderella story. Students could write their own Cinderella story. Good for around Halloween.
Cana
Mommy says: Unusual twist on the Cinderella story, this time with a filthy dirt-loving girl witch named Hazel. My kids (3 & 5) loved it and wanted to read it 2 nights in a row.
Rachelccameron
This was an odd take on the Cinderella story... I don't know how much I liked it. I thought that Bigfoot Cinderrrrrrella worked better.
the Reeds
Cute retelling of Cinderella if, maybe, perhaps, Tim Burton were to tell it. Could have been fleshed out a bit more.
Cheryl
Read before and used for storytime
Veronica
Hilarious and clever!
Teri
we all voted, pretty bad!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Princess and the Pizza
  • The Korean Cinderella
  • Cindy Ellen: A Wild Western Cinderella
  • The Gingerbread Cowboy
  • Once Upon a Time, the End (Asleep in 60 Seconds)
  • Big Bad Wolf is Good
  • Waking Beauty
The Lady with the Ship on Her Head The Winged Cat: A Tale of Ancient Egypt Medusa I Wonder What's Under There?: A Brief History of Underwear The Flame of Peace: A Tale of the Aztecs