Start by marking “Cinderhazel: The Cinderella of Halloween” as Want to Read:
Cinderhazel: The Cinderella of Halloween

Cinderhazel: The Cinderella of Halloween

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Filled with wonderful details and funny mishaps, this spin on the classic Cinderella fairy tale is the perfect Halloween treat.

Cinderhazel is a blond witch who loves dirt more than anything. When her stepsisters and stepmother fly oiff to attend the annual Halloween witches' ball, where the elusive Prince Alarming will make an appearance, they leave Cinderhazel behind. All...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published December 31st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Cinderhazel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cinderhazel

NS-Christine Johnson
Cinderhazel and her two stepsisters, Hermione and Hildy are witches. Hildy and Hermione have fun casting spells and learning curses, while Hazel cleans the floors. Hazel doesn't mind being dirty, she actually likes dirt, and wants her stepsisters to call her Cinderhazel!

The two stepsisters prepare to go to the Witches' Halloween Ball, but leave Cinderhazel home because they don't want to be seen with her. At first, Cinderhazel doesn't mind, but the more she thinks about it, the more angry she be...more
Emily
Everybody knows about Cinderella, but do you know about Cinderhazel? This is a 'funny' take on Cinderella in a Halloween theme. It's aimed at Kindergarten - 2nd grade but I would make sure that whomever you are reading this to,is pretty well versed in the regular old tale of Cinderella. And also understands irony, and other weird jokes.

Basically, Cinderhazel likes to be dirty, really dirty. Why? Who knows, it's never explained. She has two evil stepsisters Hermoine and Hildy and an evil step-mot...more
Christina Cinfio
This is a twist to the original Cinderella story that we all know. Cinderhazel has two stepsisters name Herimone and Hildy. They are all witches but her sisters have fun with curses and spells while cinderhazel "cleans" the floors with dirt.

The two stepsisters are going to go to the Witches Halloween ball but Cinderhazel doesn't get to go because they don't want to be seen with her. Instead of the Cinderella story where she wants to go and cries because she can't Cinderhazel stays at home and c...more
Miri
This is a Halloween Witch parody of Cinderella, yet it still didn't manage to capture my attention.

Cinderhazel is a witch who loves dirt, her family leaves for the Prince Alarming's ball without her, her witchy godmother transforms her broken broom into a Hoopler vacuum cleaner and she flies to the ball and meets Prince Alarming who loves dirt as much as she does and they live filthily ever after.
Alissa Sparks
I find this book interesting because the girl Hazel loves to be dirty and dusty. Most girls I know love to be clean. This story taught me a different way of respecting others on or who they want to be. Children can learn that we need to find ways to respected others for the way they are.
This version of Cinderella is told with "3rd grade humor" but I did not find it very funny. Cinderhazel loves dirt and she spends a lot of time in the fireplace. Her stepsisters tease her and tell her she can't go to the Halloween Ball because she can't fly on her broom. She does go and meets Prince Filthy Alarming and they lived filthily ever after. I think there are a couple of bad messages in the story. The Prince does something because he was told not to and in the P.S. he gives her grass cl...more
Katie
"CIP Summary" Cinderhazel is a blond witch who loves dirt more than anything. When her stepsisters and stepmother fly oiff to attend the annual Halloween witches' ball, where the elusive Prince Alarming will make an appearance, they leave Cinderhazel behind. All her attempted spells turn to dust -- until her witchy fairy godmother appears and sends Cinderhazel off to meet the equally messy prince. Could this be the beginning of filthily ever after?

This book is a fun twist on the classic Cinderel...more
Anissa
fractured fairytale
 (NS) Maria
Wow! This is a different twist to "Cinderella" I like it. Cinderhazel
and her stepsisters are awaiting for the Witches Halloween Ball.
When Cinderhazel finds out the prince is the "King of Dirt" she zooms off to the palace with her broom. When she arrived, they had a few disagreements, but they worked it out and they lived happily ever after.

Valerie
I have had this book in my library all along but I'd never read it. Based on the kids' reaction in library class I gave it higher marks than I would have otherwise. Twists on the Cinderella fairy tale are all right, but the laughs it got with some more subtle humor than I would have thought first graders would enjoy put it right up there with read aloud favorites.
Victoria Esveld
Comparing this to some of the other forms of Cinderella, I find myself much preferring the prettied up Disney version. This might appeal more to tomboys, or even to boys (because of the prince at the end) but to me, I would much rather see 'pretty' pictures of long beautiful hair, clean dresses and ponies!
Lisa Rathbun
I found this obnoxious. Cinderhazel is an ugly witch who loves dirt. I'm sure there are plenty of kids who will be amused by this (including perhaps my own), but I prefer my Cinderellas romantic and lovely. If I want off-beat, I prefer "Cinderella Skeleton" which has a Tim Burton feel.
Lauren
This book is a spin off of the fairty tale story of Cinderella. It is about the Cinderella of Halloween. I read it to my pre-k class at the daycare I work at and they loved it. It has great emotional parts and if you really get into it while reading the kids will love it!
Ronster
Dec 02, 2007 Ronster rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades K-3
Fractured fairy tale. Cinderhazel loves to be dirty and finds a prince who loves it just as much. This is a humorous version of Cinderella with a fun twist. Cartoon illustrations. Use to compare and contrast fractured fairy tales about Cinderellla. A fun read aloud.
Anne Robertson
Great for making text to text connections and comparing this Cinderella story to the original cinderella story. Students could write their own Cinderella story. Good for around Halloween.
Cana
Mommy says: Unusual twist on the Cinderella story, this time with a filthy dirt-loving girl witch named Hazel. My kids (3 & 5) loved it and wanted to read it 2 nights in a row.
Rachelccameron
This was an odd take on the Cinderella story... I don't know how much I liked it. I thought that Bigfoot Cinderrrrrrella worked better.
the Reeds
Cute retelling of Cinderella if, maybe, perhaps, Tim Burton were to tell it. Could have been fleshed out a bit more.
Cheryl
Read before and used for storytime
Veronica
Hilarious and clever!
Teri
we all voted, pretty bad!!!
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Melissa Bittenbender
Melissa Bittenbender marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Lady with the Ship on Her Head The Winged Cat: A Tale of Ancient Egypt Medusa I Wonder What's Under There?: A Brief History of Underwear The Flame of Peace: A Tale of the Aztecs