Start by marking “The 20 Something Guide to Getting It Together: A Step-By-Step Plan for Surviving Your Quarterlife Crisis” as Want to Read:

Your guide to making it as a real-life grownup!

Like a lot of people, author Mary Traina spent her early twenties making a mess out of her life--until she realized it was time to toss the red Solo cups and finally grow up. In "The Twentysomething Guide to Getting It Together," she teaches you how to bust out of your rut with practical advice for kicking your bad habits, tak
Published July 18th 2014 by Adams Media Corporation

To ask other readers questions about The 20 Something Guide to Getting It Together, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 20 Something Guide to Getting It Together

Jade H
Sep 02, 2014 Jade H rated it it was ok
For a self-help book, it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know...
This book assumed that most, if not all, 20-somethings suffering from a 'quarterlife crisis' go through more or less the same situation - eating badly, dating the wrong people, not being assertive or efficient enough at work, and focusing on the wrong priorities (FOMO) etc... Best (or worst, depends how you see it) of all, it even suggests you to go "see a therapist if you're struggling".

The only saving grace was that it
Rachel Skye
Apr 06, 2016 Rachel Skye rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: someone who is looking for basic "get out of a rut" ideas
I went back and forth between liking this book and being a little... bored? I am currently 24, and I find myself already surpassing most of these "crises" prior to even being close to 30; she seems to aim the book closer to the later 20's. I think there are a few important things to make from this, but it really wasn't anything that I didn't know.

It was light and easy read. I read over a longer period because I would find myself being too bored and then would want to skip pages where I already
Steven Lee
Oct 10, 2016 Steven Lee rated it did not like it
A friend gifted me this book for a recent birthday. I think she intended it mostly as a gag gift, but perhaps there was some knowledge inside that I could glean. I have made a commitment to read every book that I own and so this book entered into my reading list.

I am not the intended audience of this book. I am not sure if that means my opinion is relevant or not. I do not generally read self-help books, which is perhaps what this book should be considered. More specifically though Mary Traina
Steve Brown
Jul 04, 2015 Steve Brown rated it liked it
I approached this book as a 30 year old who learned these lessons in the last few years; I could've used much of this advice a while ago.

This book is for adults in age who want to become adults in name, as well. On that score, it provides solid tips on topics ranging from eating right and saving money to picking better friends and getting serious about your career.

If I have qualms with the work, they would be as follows. First, the book is solely directed at women, and yet this is never disclo
Kelcie Hollingsworth
Apr 21, 2015 Kelcie Hollingsworth rated it it was ok
On the bright side, this book is a light and quick read. You can skim without feeling like you've missed anything. That said, the content is mostly common knowledge and nothing special.

On the down side, the jokes sometimes feel forced, and the "trendy" words tossed in can make the writing feel clunky and awkward. The author's attempt at quirky can from time to time go overboard and cause chronic eye rolling.

There were times when I had to put the book down simply because the writing seemed to be
Sarah Reicker
May 19, 2016 Sarah Reicker rated it liked it
Pretty funny read, but don't bother reading unless you are a straight, American woman. Still, some good insights on dating, getting healthy, and balancing work and life. I found the section on debt and money management particularly helpful.

Unlike other self help books, this book is basically like: were you a piece of shit in your early 20s? Well, now it's time to own up. I like that, I feel like too many books make you feel like everything is fine. This book is more like, everything WILL be fin
Francine Derby
Sep 11, 2014 Francine Derby rated it it was amazing
A fairly quick (222 pages) read with a lot of value. The author gave sound, relevant and humorous advice on a lot of issues facing persons in this age group. Issues such as money management and getting out of debt, achieving career goals, dating and long term relationships, choosing friends wisely, health insurance, thinking about retirement, eating healthily and exercising on a budget and much more. I absolutely loved it and would recommend it for anyone looking for a "guide to adulthood."
Mallika S
Jan 01, 2016 Mallika S rated it really liked it
I found some chapters in this book really insightful and upfront. Other chapters didn't really apply to me like the finance as perf or debt because I have that under control. It's mostly my love life and my friendships that are the real problem areas for me. It did help shed light on those areas so I would recommend it.
A.
Dec 03, 2015 A. rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I got this book as a birthday present from a best friend and before I knew I had finished it. It's not the best of self-help books I have read, but it's simple, to the point and, most of all, funny as fuck. So if you feel like getting your shit together, grab this book and let it take it you where you want it to take you.
Ying Ying
Jun 14, 2015 Ying Ying rated it liked it
While nothing is particularly new, the guide is easy and quick to read. Great for someone who might be feeling lost in life, it does, however, not address specific issues, being rather a more general advice book.
Tom
Jun 26, 2016 Tom rated it it was ok
Hopefully a sympathetic, rather than pointed, birthday gift from my housemate. There were bits that weren't relevant to me - being a male in a relationship outside of the US - but the bits that were relevant were somewhat helpful!
Kaity Eaton
Nov 13, 2014 Kaity Eaton rated it liked it
Only read about 75% of this book before I began skimming the rest of it. It kind of droned on towards the end; however, I still thought it was funny and applicable for someone living in this time of their life. :)
Jessie Qi
Jul 11, 2015 Jessie Qi rated it it was ok
Reads like a buzzfeed article. Easy and fast to read but Full of cliches. After you finish, you wonder why you bothered
Nicole Husbands
Jan 31, 2015 Nicole Husbands rated it liked it
The book made me chuckle but it didn't contain anything I haven't heard before. I guess I am on the road to having my stuff together.
Lily
Lily rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2014
Jahmila Smith
Jahmila Smith rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2014
Jenn
Jenn rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Holly
Holly rated it did not like it
Oct 25, 2014
Laura rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2016
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2014
Angelica
Angelica rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it liked it
May 16, 2015
Holly Rae
Holly Rae rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Julie Witt
Julie Witt rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Janice
Aug 30, 2015 Janice rated it did not like it
Advice that didn't particularly relate to me as an Asian 20-something
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Catification: Designing a Happy and Stylish Home for Your Cat (and You!)
  • The Hello Kitty Baking Book: Recipes for Cookies, Cupcakes, and More
  • Madeleine: Our Daughter's Disappearance and the Continuing Search for Her
  • Now What?: The Young Person's Guide to Choosing the Perfect Career
  • How Professors Think: Inside the Curious World of Academic Judgment
  • Ten Poems to Open Your Heart
  • Effective Immediately: How to Fit In, Stand Out, and Move Up at Your First Real Job
  • Cleopatra and Her Asp
  • أسواق الذهب
  • Beyond Evil: Inside the Twisted Mind of Ian Huntley
  • Freedom and Destiny
  • All Work, No Pay: Finding an Internship, Building Your Resume, Making Connections, and Gaining Job Experience
  • The Post-College Guide to Happiness