Start by marking “Help for the Harried Homeschooler: A Practical Guide to Balancing Your Child's Education with the Rest of Your Life” as Want to Read:

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Homeschooling moms and dads can be overwhelmed by the demands on their time. Between their children’s educational needs; their roles as spouse, parent, and more; and their own individual desires and goals, these mothers and fathers struggle to accomplish all that must be done. In Help for the Harried Homeschooler, experienced homeschooler, author, and mother of four Christ ...more
Published January 15th 2002 by Shaw Books

To ask other readers questions about Help for the Harried Homeschooler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Help for the Harried Homeschooler

Julie
I'm sure this is a great book for someone, but you'd think that SOMEwhere on the cover or in the chapter titles it would mention how heavily Christian the text is. I was really looking forward to some good ideas, but most of the answers leaned toward, "For help with __________, look at what the scripture says."
I thought the author's way of presenting advice in a way that is framed by God's principles was excellent. Her knowledge of scripture was sound and balanced. I found the book encouraging and helpful.
Christina
A former criminal prosecutor decides to quit her job and pull her 2 girls out of school and teach them at home. Then she and her husband adopt two more so now she's at home teaching 4 kids. And she's found the time to write a book about it all. (And I thought I was busy!) Even though I am not an official homeschooler, I appreciated her practical advice and honest accounts of what daily life is like for her and her family.
Dawn
This is a great book for the christian homeschooler that feels like they are spinning their wheels. It gives you inspiration to keep going and how to deal with the difficult life events that sometimes jump in your path. This is my second time reading this book and I will probably read it again. Christine is a wonderful writer that inserts humor into the dialogue. I highly recommend this book!
Christine Hiester
This book was a great encouragement and a reminder of the meaning and purpose of our homeschooling journey. Chapters include information on burnout, disapproval from family and friends, resources on homeschooling learning disabled children, and much more. I found the book to be well-written and practical while approaching the topic from a wonderful Christian perspective.
Ruth
Halfway through the book, there is a helpful list of activities to keep a preschooler busy while homeschooling. This, and other lists, helps the book earn its title. I also got a few ideas of how to better handle sibling arguments. However, there were whole sections of the book I skipped over due to the religious slant, so it only earns 3 stars.
Bev G
Great overview for this shaking-in-my-boots, soon-to-be homeschooling mom. Excellent chapters on discouragement and burnout that would be helpful for any mom, homeschooling or not. Also good, practical suggestions for a newbie. Again, nice overview of homeschooling from a Christian perspective.
Michelle Polk
One of the best books out there for the harried homeschool. I love this book. Christine field has a way of making homeschool seem like a cool breeze and something that doesn't have to be worriesome.Lots of encouragement can be gleened from this book.
More like 1 1/2 stars. I didn't realize this was a Christian-focused book, something that is not obvious from the cover. There were some little tidbits of helpful information in here, but overall I was turned off by the heavy focus on religion.
Channing
Not bad. I think if I was feeling harried, this book would help a great deal. The only tidbit I got out of it was a reminder that I ought to be schooling my toddler instead of just letting her play and pick up the crumbs of the big kids.
Nola
Sep 25, 2008 Nola rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: homeschooling parents
This is a great look at the nuts and bolts of handling homeschooling for parents, especially one with multiple children (like me!). It's very well written - humorous! - very light hearted. I'm really enjoying it.
Emily
Loving this book! The author is a Christian, and I am gleaning some wisdom as well as practical ideas. Just grabbed it on a "whim" in the library, and Providence has blessed my find!
Nellie
This book has a special place in my heart when God used my reading of it to confirm the upcoming move mr family was about to take in 2003! This is found in the chapter on Burnout
Sherry Lochner
Superb book! So encouraging to read with a variety of homeschoolers on different subjects. I checked this out at the library, but I'm going to buy it and share with friends. :)
Andrea Robling
Thie is like my Bible when it comes to homeschooling. It helps remind me why I am doing what I am doing, and who I'm doing it for.
Sue
Good for a beginning homeschooler.
Wendy
Good and practical ideas.
Andrea
Good advice. Very Christian.
Maritez
Solid 3 1/2
Heather Romanek
Heather Romanek is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2014
Rita
Rita added it
Oct 10, 2014
Kristyn
Kristyn marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
R
R added it
May 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Life Skills for Kids: Equipping Your Child for the Real World Should You Adopt? Field Guide to Home Schooling: A Practical Guide for Parents Coming Home to Raise Your Children: A Survival Guide for Moms