Start by marking “Help for the Harried Homeschooler: A Practical Guide to Balancing Your Child's Education with the Rest of Your Life” as Want to Read:

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  99 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Homeschooling moms and dads can be overwhelmed by the demands on their time. Between their children’s educational needs; their roles as spouse, parent, and more; and their own individual desires and goals, these mothers and fathers struggle to accomplish all that must be done. In Help for the Harried Homeschooler, experienced homeschooler, author, and mother of four Christ ...more
Published January 15th 2002 by Shaw Books

To ask other readers questions about Help for the Harried Homeschooler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Help for the Harried Homeschooler

Julie
I'm sure this is a great book for someone, but you'd think that SOMEwhere on the cover or in the chapter titles it would mention how heavily Christian the text is. I was really looking forward to some good ideas, but most of the answers leaned toward, "For help with __________, look at what the scripture says."
Amy
Dec 13, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
This book was just what I needed. After a couple of years of homeschooling I found myself definitely what you'd call "harried". This book helped me put some things in perspective. It IS from a Christian standpoint which is fine by me.must read for the Christian homeschooler!
Aug 25, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
I thought the author's way of presenting advice in a way that is framed by God's principles was excellent. Her knowledge of scripture was sound and balanced. I found the book encouraging and helpful.
David
Jan 07, 2015 David rated it really liked it
I'm not a harried homeschooler... yet. And most of this is common sense and good dose of grace but I can see myself coming back to this one in years ahead.
Melissa
Feb 20, 2016 Melissa rated it did not like it
"Let go and let God"
Christina
Sep 14, 2008 Christina rated it liked it
A former criminal prosecutor decides to quit her job and pull her 2 girls out of school and teach them at home. Then she and her husband adopt two more so now she's at home teaching 4 kids. And she's found the time to write a book about it all. (And I thought I was busy!) Even though I am not an official homeschooler, I appreciated her practical advice and honest accounts of what daily life is like for her and her family.
Dawn
Sep 18, 2012 Dawn rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for the christian homeschooler that feels like they are spinning their wheels. It gives you inspiration to keep going and how to deal with the difficult life events that sometimes jump in your path. This is my second time reading this book and I will probably read it again. Christine is a wonderful writer that inserts humor into the dialogue. I highly recommend this book!
Christine Hiester
Mar 18, 2009 Christine Hiester rated it it was amazing
This book was a great encouragement and a reminder of the meaning and purpose of our homeschooling journey. Chapters include information on burnout, disapproval from family and friends, resources on homeschooling learning disabled children, and much more. I found the book to be well-written and practical while approaching the topic from a wonderful Christian perspective.
Ruth
May 10, 2013 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschool
Halfway through the book, there is a helpful list of activities to keep a preschooler busy while homeschooling. This, and other lists, helps the book earn its title. I also got a few ideas of how to better handle sibling arguments. However, there were whole sections of the book I skipped over due to the religious slant, so it only earns 3 stars.
Bev G
Aug 04, 2011 Bev G rated it really liked it
Great overview for this shaking-in-my-boots, soon-to-be homeschooling mom. Excellent chapters on discouragement and burnout that would be helpful for any mom, homeschooling or not. Also good, practical suggestions for a newbie. Again, nice overview of homeschooling from a Christian perspective.
Michelle Polk
Oct 15, 2008 Michelle Polk rated it it was amazing
One of the best books out there for the harried homeschool. I love this book. Christine field has a way of making homeschool seem like a cool breeze and something that doesn't have to be worriesome.Lots of encouragement can be gleened from this book.
Jul 14, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: homeschooling
More like 1 1/2 stars. I didn't realize this was a Christian-focused book, something that is not obvious from the cover. There were some little tidbits of helpful information in here, but overall I was turned off by the heavy focus on religion.
Channing
May 26, 2009 Channing rated it liked it
Not bad. I think if I was feeling harried, this book would help a great deal. The only tidbit I got out of it was a reminder that I ought to be schooling my toddler instead of just letting her play and pick up the crumbs of the big kids.
Nola Redd
Sep 25, 2008 Nola Redd rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: homeschooling parents
This is a great look at the nuts and bolts of handling homeschooling for parents, especially one with multiple children (like me!). It's very well written - humorous! - very light hearted. I'm really enjoying it.
Emily
Jun 14, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing
Loving this book! The author is a Christian, and I am gleaning some wisdom as well as practical ideas. Just grabbed it on a "whim" in the library, and Providence has blessed my find!
Nellie
Apr 20, 2011 Nellie rated it it was amazing
This book has a special place in my heart when God used my reading of it to confirm the upcoming move mr family was about to take in 2003! This is found in the chapter on Burnout
Sherry Lochner
Apr 10, 2012 Sherry Lochner rated it it was amazing
Superb book! So encouraging to read with a variety of homeschoolers on different subjects. I checked this out at the library, but I'm going to buy it and share with friends. :)
Sue
Apr 15, 2009 Sue rated it really liked it
Good for a beginning homeschooler.
Wendy
Feb 25, 2008 Wendy rated it really liked it
Good and practical ideas.
Andrea
Jan 12, 2013 Andrea rated it liked it
Good advice. Very Christian.
Maritez
Joy
Joy added it
May 12, 2016
Dasha
Dasha marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Kcshrader
Kcshrader marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Michelle Polk
Michelle Polk rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016