Start by marking “The Year My Life Broke” as Want to Read:
The Year My Life Broke

The Year My Life Broke

You move into the most boring street in the most boring town in Australia. Tarrawagga is a hole. Its only ambition is to be a crater, and it has every chance of getting there.

The last thing you expect is to have action all around you, dangerous strangers in the backyard, and bullets flying past your ears.

At your new school, everyone thinks you're the biggest loser in Grade
Published 2013 by Pan Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about The Year My Life Broke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year My Life Broke

Erika
Jan 13, 2014 Erika added it
Shelves: for-kids
I'm definitely not the target market for this book (children around grade 6 age, give or take a few years, and children who like cricket) but as a John Marsden tragic and teacher of children in the target market I thought I'd best read it. Of course it was nothing like his other books. To me it felt like he was telling, not showing, and not delving into his normal deep territory. It seemed like a series of plot points stuck together. "This happened, then this happened, and suddenly this ...more
Christine
Mar 21, 2014 Christine rated it liked it
An easy read from John Marsden. Josh and his family are forced to move from their expensive home and lifestyle to a small country town. Josh pretends he's a loser & can't play cricket at all when in fact he's a cricket legend at his old school. A little bit of mystery and quite a bit of cricket. Year 5 to Year 8.
Dale
Jan 09, 2014 Dale rated it liked it
Shelves: tween, grade-3-4, grade5-6
Solid book for Grade 4-6 boys. Especially if they are in to sports.
Angela
Overall I enjoyed this and I feel year 6 [10 yrs ] up to 12 yrs [and other ages if they were super keen on cricket] would be attracted to this book.
It involves a boy who has to move house as his parents' financial situation has deteriorated drastically and they are offered a house to rent in another town which belongs to the main character's grandfather. So a well plumbed situation but the rest has novelty, excitement, mystery going for it. The main character has been a rep cricket player back h
Gaby
Mar 18, 2014 Gaby rated it liked it
Shelves: on-shelf, grades-5-6
I am not a huge cricket fan, nor in any way familiar with the game, yet I still found this book enjoyable to read. I may not have understood all the cricket references, but the energy in the story was well conveyed. Marsden created some good characters and a few great action scenes. I liked the explicit mention that it was unusual for girls not to be included in the cricket team. The book ended, however, just when I wanted to know more! I wanted to see what happened next!

A fun book that I would
Lynda
Mar 12, 2016 Lynda rated it it was amazing
Josh is sporty, popular and living a great life until his parents become bankrupt and they shift to a dodgy new town. At his new school, Josh becomes a total outsider, even hated by the PE teacher, until events at school and home start to take on their own extraordinary momentum. Fast and funny! Another amazing story from John Marsden.
Alison Condliffe
Feb 07, 2014 Alison Condliffe rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book, got totally involved, even with all the cricket parts. A really good book for grades 4- 6 as it has issues you could discuss and humor. Would read this to a class as a read aloud.
Sandi Faulconbridge
Jul 22, 2014 Sandi Faulconbridge rated it really liked it
Shelves: school, young-adult, 2014
A really enjoyable read. I'm not a cricket person myself but the mix of sport, family life, suspense and John's use of teen Aussie language made for a great book.
This would make a really good read-aloud for upper primary school, and be enjoyed by year 6 and upwards readers for their own reading.
Nova
Dec 22, 2013 Nova rated it it was amazing
Even though I would rather watch paint dry than read about or watch cricket, I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It is funny, real-life, well-written and has a good message. I bought a set of them for school to use as a text!
Linette
May 13, 2015 Linette rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
A fun, if predictable story-line. Shame John Marsden felt the need to put too much swearing in. You can tell a good story from the point of view of a 13 year old boy without having that many rude words.
Michelle
May 08, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
A cheeky little novel from a great Australian children's / Young Adult writer. Good sense of humour - will especially be liked by cricket affectionardos.
Venkat
Venkat rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
Janine
Janine rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Nadine
Nadine rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2013
Laura rated it liked it
May 25, 2014
Jack
Jack rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2014
Jenni Ball
Jenni Ball rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2014
Sandi
Sandi rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Kristoffer
Kristoffer rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Shelley
Shelley rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2014
Enrica
Enrica rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2015
Alice
Alice rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Shane
Shane rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Peppy
Peppy rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2014
flajol
flajol rated it liked it
May 27, 2014
Doggy Blue
Doggy Blue rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2013
Jwahrat
Jwahrat rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2014
Claire
Claire rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2016
Bob Jones
Bob Jones rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2014
Alex Fairhill
Alex Fairhill rated it liked it
May 22, 2015
See also: John Marsden.

His first book, So Much To Tell You, was published in 1987. This was followed by Take My Word For It, a half-sequel written from the point of view of another character. His landmark Tomorrow series is recognized as the most popular book series for young adults ever written in Australia. The first book of this series, Tomorrow When The War Began, has been reprinted 26 times i
More about John Marsden...