Start by marking “The Magician's Land (The Magicians, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Magician's Land (The Magicians, #3)

The Magician's Land (The Magicians #3)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  22,284 ratings  ·  2,578 reviews
Quentin Coldwater has been cast out of Fillory, the secret magical land of his childhood dreams. With nothing left to lose, he returns to where his story began, the Brakebills Preparatory College of Magic, but he can’t hide from his past, and it’s not long before it comes looking for him.

Along with Plum, a brilliant young undergraduate with a dark secret of her own, Quenti
Published August 5th 2014 by Viking Adult

To ask other readers questions about The Magician's Land, please sign up.

Armand Honestly, it's hard for me to think of them as totally separate books, so it's hard for me to come up with a good answer to this question.

They seem…more

They seem to overlap a lot in terms of the story... but I'd say the 3rd one has a happier ending to it which is enjoyable. At least it didn't all end horribly (or on a note of dreadful ambiguity).

Just my two cents!(less)
Casey I can't think of any version to start with the third one. They are all very good. Did you buy this one first by mistake?

Dan Schwent
For being a genre-fusing deconstruction of the fantasy novel, this sure had me on the edge on my seat.

It all started with teenage Quentin Coldwater attending a magical school, finding out the fantasy land from his favorite novels was real and then journeying there. Following various quests and a whole lotta heartbreak, Quentin is back in the real world and gives himself a very personal mission to complete even while his friends back in Fillory learn that the end of that world is very nigh.

Growing up, we didn't have lots of money and my dad took off with most of what we did have anyway, but I was always told to do well in school, so I did. I was told, "go to college," so I did. (In fact, it was more assumed than outright spoken to be honest). Once I'd made the mistake of majoring in social science (Economics!), the only solution was more school!

So I went on to law school.

After three miserable years in a system that only rewards the "top 10", I graduated ...

And then what? Then the
This book was totally not bad. I really enjoyed some parts of this book. Some of the things Grossman was trying to do really came together in this book. There. Did I damn it enough with faint praise? I’m sorry. Kinda. I just really wanted this to be something…else? More? I dunno. I just think Grossman didn’t really deliver what I wanted…though I am totally willing to admit that I am perhaps holding him to unfair expectations. I guess I just wanted a little more bang than whimper in my conclusion ...more
This book was really in two parts. The first being a heist plot to recover a briefcase with mysterious contents.

The second is about the death of the magical land, Fillory.

Plot-wise and writing, I really enjoyed this novel. The author has a way of balancing tongue in cheek humor with introspection. You can tell he really thought about the engine of how magic worked in his novels, often borrowing from quantum physics for explanations. But that's only how it works on Earth; in Fillory it's all up f
Sean Gibson
Warning: spoilers to follow!

Perplexed. That’s how this series left me. I’m still not really sure what to make of it. Don’t get me wrong—the ultimate impression is a positive one. But, not unlike clichéd and stupid Facebook statuses, it’s complicated.

The Magicians left me depressed and flummoxed, but intrigued. It was the other side of the Harry Potter/Charlie Bucket coin—kid gets golden ticket, only golden ticket turns out to royally screw up one’s psyche. It was the Watchmen spin on the tried-
Jeffrey Keeten
”Eliot felt very small and Fillory felt for a change, very big and very wild around him. It was a while since it had felt like that. This was a serious quest, maybe the last one. What happened now truly mattered. Eliot had struggled before he found Fillory, he knew that: he drank too much, he found clever ways to be nasty to people, he never seemed to have an emotion that wasn’t either ironic or chemically generated. He’d changed in Fillory, and the thought of going back to that, of becoming tha ...more
Tegan Mae
Not gonna lie...this is how I feel about this novel:

12/8/13: I keep looking at this hoping for a definite release date. Alas, nothing yet. But I'll keep on keeping on until then...Now I'm taunted with a cover.

1/9/14: August 5th, 2014 ladies and gentlemen!!! Great early birthday present! Only 7 more months...And we get a summary! Great belated Christmas present :)

8/2/14: AMAZING!!! Review to come ASAP!

10/10/14: Finally, full review is here! Also published at The Founding Fields!

Lady Salvatore got
A combination of literary fiction's intelligence, high fantasy's epic plots, and pop culture's sly humour and insouciance this book perfectly finishes off what has been, for me, one of the most satisfying and clever series of recent years. It's taken a far more realistic look at the likely outcomes of people being gifted with ridiculous magical powers, of what that horrible moment when you finish university and are suddenly expected to be a fully functioning member of society would be like if yo ...more
I don't think I have read a series that has as much character development as in The Magicians trilogy. It was such a pleasure going on this journey with Quentin and his friends through these three books. Seeing Quentin grow up in these three books has come at the perfect time in my life. The themes of this book, and its predecessors, are so relevant to my life. Thank you, Lev Grossman, for writing something that resonates so deeply with people who grew up in books, in fantasy worlds, and are off ...more
Well that was . . . disappointing. Which is a funny thing to say about a book written as well as this one, and that made me as happy as this one did at certain points (really, I would read hundreds of pages about the magic in this universe and how it works and doesn't, no plot required).

The thing is, this book doubled down. The series as a whole has been playing with coming of age narratives and coming into power narratives, trying out different ones, contrasting them, complicating them. And the
"He'd been right about the world, but he was wrong about himself. The world was a desert, but he was a magician, and to be a magician was to be a secret spring - a moving oasis. He wasn't desolate, and he wasn't empty. He was full of emotion, full of feelings, bursting with them, and when it came down to it, that's what being a magician was. They weren't ordinary feelings - they weren't the tame, domesticated kind. Magic was wild feelings, the kind that escaped out of you and into the world and
Executive Summary: An excellent, but not perfect end to what ended up being a rather enjoyable series. Just a few minor complaints keep me from giving it a 5 star rating. 4.5 stars.

Audio book: Mark Bramhall again does an excellent job that makes this a series I think is best done in audio. I will have to be on the lookout for other books he reads for in the future.

Full Review
This book almost made it to the end to secure one of my rare 5-star ratings. I always hated to stop listening, and found

Grossman's third and final installment in The Magicians trilogy brings back all the beloved key players from the previous books, plus a few new ones, but probably won't enthrall fans quite as much as they're expecting. The Magician's Land focuses on a thirty-something Quentin Coldwater on a quest to solve a complex mystery with the help of a precocious Brakebills student. Whereas book one focuses primarily on magical school Brakebills and book two on magical land Fillory, this t
Doug Bradshaw
If you enjoyed Narnia and Harry Potter and you have little bit of religious background, a Torah here and a Bible there, you may have as much fun as I did with this twisted and modern version of those two series. It’s all there, magic, talking animals, angry Gods, war, fantastic journeys to faraway lands, sometimes being transformed into geese or even whales, with normal humans, sometimes kids, placed into high positions in these lands, even as kings and queens.

It’s amazing that such nonsense ca
Where to start with this one? So many mixed emotions! After reading the first novel in Grossman's trilogy, The Magicians, I was hooked. Angsty, adult wizard school? Totally into it. However, after struggling through the hot mess that was the series' second book (I literally just made the "ugh" face thinking about it), I was cautious about getting too excited for the third and final part of The Magician's trilogy.

Needless to say, my expectations were met but not totally exceeded. Grossman does a
The Magicians trilogy means a lot to me. It's a complex coming of age story that I can identify with so much that it hurts sometimes. I want to say that the trilogy came to me during a difficult time in my life, but really it came at a time when the difficult part had been and gone, and I was left reluctant to find out what happened next. The theme of the Magicians trilogy fits so beautifully with that empty and exciting feeling that it became a part of my grieving process, and continues to be n ...more
Strangely enough, I worked through all of my reservations from the previous two books, having liked the first book well enough, and on reflection liking the second one much less, I discovered that passing the hump of the heist in the third allowed me to finally relax into the story after finally realizing that Quentin wasn't going to remain a douchebag forever.

The heist was fine, as far as that went, and his just going along with everything and sliding along with his life was par for course. It
I started this book off and was actually enjoying it. My complaints with the last two books were with the characters. They were incredibly selfish. It didn't matter how they were brought up, with screwed up parents, or normal parents they were all damaged and only acted in their own self interest.

It initially seemed that Quentin was starting to grow up. The action was good as well at the start of the book- much like a Harry Potter and Italian Job mix.

However as the book progressed Quentin fell i
Sarah Actually
I almost don't even know how to rate this. It's not perfect. But I ultimately loved this trilogy so much for so many reasons so I'm just going to give it a 5.

I am now going to be VERY HIGHLY INVESTED in the TV show.
This review was originally posted on Avid Reviews:

Grossman’s Magicians trilogy is far different than any other work of modern fantasy I have come across. Grossman’s novels are an intellectual journey into the disillusionment that occurs during the journey to adulthood, and much of the fantasy elements of his novels occur simply to help prove this point to the reader. The first book in particular has a very depressing tone, and is incredibly anticlimactic in c
Full Review at Tenacious Reader:

This is a whirlwind of magic, adventure and self-discovery. Oh yes, and witty acerbic humor. That’s something I may not have stressed enough in my previous reviews of this series. I love the sarcastic humor that is so prevalent through out these books. And where I felt Magician King was lacking, Magician’s Land made up for it (in spades). I honestly think this is probably the strongest of the three books.

I don’t wa
Kenna Day
I have to wait until August??? Such a cruel world I inhabit. :(
Lindsey Rey
Loved this one!
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum

I practically binge read this series, which is unusual for me. But truly, it is a rare pleasure indeed when subsequent books in a series just get better and better. I’ve had such a change of heart about this trilogy from the first book to the last book, that I am actually floored with amazement. I certainly don’t take back my thoughts in my review of The Magicians – I liked the book but I also had some very real issues w
I didn't understand how much I was looking forward to this book until my friend Natalie acquired an advance copy and I was buzzing with excitement for days. This really has been my favorite series of recent years. It's an excellent fantasy story in its own right, as well as a therapeutic examination of the flaws inherent to the YA fantasy genre -- it's Chicken Soup for the Post-Narnia Cynic's Soul.

(view spoiler)
This is the final book in the Magician's series by Lev Grossman and I am so glad that I decided to continue with this series despite disliking the first. I found that my biggest problem with the first book was the characters and the complete lack of hope or development I felt whilst reading them. Having now finished up the third book however, I kind of see why we're thrown into the world like we are. It makes a lot of sense in the long run because book 2 and 3 grow and develop so much from the i ...more

This was the first book in The Magician's Trilogy that I actively put down. I read about 100 pages and then I put it aside. There was no improvement in anything, though admittedly the writing wasn't terrible. It's simply that, like other modern 'well written' novels such as Gone Girl there is no magic or spark of life to the book. It's all torture and misery without hope.

Sure, I like a dark story. Some of my favourite works of fiction are Gothic horror stories. But do you want to know something
The Magician's Land is often charming and always witty, a definite pleasure to read. It could feel like a self-aware barrage of trope breaking, yet in more private moments it allows some characters to break from their established nature, giving them a new depth and maturity, unseen in the previous books. The Magician's Land is fun, and oftentimes beautiful, but perhaps because of what came before it, never able to reach the same emotional levels as the previous books in the series.
One of the mo
Edward Pharr
Edward Pharr is currently reading it
Oct 03, 2015
2015 Reading Chal...: The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman 5 20 Aug 26, 2015 10:59AM
For those who've finish: death as a revolving door 5 86 Aug 20, 2015 11:02AM
"Nods" to the Young Wizards series? 3 16 Aug 13, 2015 05:57AM
Free Books, .99 &...: The Magician's Land ARC 2 47 Sep 02, 2014 03:25PM
Advanced Copies f...: The Magician's Land ARC 3 28 Aug 29, 2014 06:33AM
  • Two Serpents Rise (Craft Sequence #2)
  • Shattered Pillars (Eternal Sky, #2)
  • The Coldest War (The Milkweed Triptych, #2)
  • A Tree of Bones (Hexslinger, #3)
  • The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
  • Sleeping Late on Judgement Day (Bobby Dollar, #3)
  • The Kingdom of Gods (Inheritance, #3)
  • Flex ('Mancer, #1)
  • Among Others
  • City of Stairs (The Divine Cities, #1)
  • The Autumn Republic (The Powder Mage, #3)
  • The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4)
  • Fool's Quest  (The Fitz and The Fool, #2)
  • The Tropic of Serpents (Memoir by Lady Trent, #2)
  • The Goblin Emperor
  • By Blood We Live (The Last Werewolf, #3)
  • Indexing
  • Six-Gun Snow White
My novel The Magicians was a New York Times bestseller. So was the sequel, The Magician King. The third book in the trilogy, The Magician's Land, will be published in August 2014.

There's yet more information about me and my books on my website.
More about Lev Grossman...

The Magicians (3 books)
  • The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)
  • The Magician King (The Magicians, #2)
The Magicians (The Magicians, #1) The Magician King (The Magicians, #2) Codex The Magicians and the Magician King The Magicians Trilogy Boxed Set

“It didn’t matter where you were, if you were in a room full of books you were at least halfway home.” 116 likes
“...In books there's always somebody standing by ready to say hey, the world's in danger, evil's on the rise, but if you're really quick and take this ring and put it in that volcano over there everything will be fine.

"But in real life that guy never turns up. He's never there. He's busy handing out advice in the next universe over. In our world no one ever knows what to do, and everyone's just as clueless and full of crap as everyone else, and you have to figure it all out by yourself. And even after you've figured it out and done it, you'll never know whether you were right or wrong. You'll never know if you put the ring in the right volcano, or if things might have gone better if you hadn't. There's no answers in the back of the book.”