Start by marking “Deadwood City (Choose Your Own Adventure, #8)” as Want to Read:
Deadwood City (Choose Your Own Adventure, #8)

Deadwood City (Choose Your Own Adventure #8)

By following the instructions at the bottom of each page, the reader can have several different adventures in the Old West.
Published August 1st 1982 by Skylark (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Deadwood City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadwood City

David Sarkies
Jul 18, 2014 David Sarkies rated it it was ok
Shelves: gamebook
Out to tame the West,/b>
25 August 2012

Well, I gave this one a lower rating because it is a western and I never really could get myself into westerns all that much. Okay, they were sort of like the action movies of the 50s and 60s, but still, I always, and still do, find them quite boring. Not all westerns are bad though, there was one starring Johnny Depp called Dead Man, but that is an exception. I have also gone through and noted the ones that I do not believe I have read, namely because,
Josiah
Mar 10, 2013 Josiah rated it liked it
I love the twists and turns of this good western story! The main line of events advertised on the back cover involves going up against the outlaw Kurt Malloy, but if that confrontational narrative is not to your liking, then dozens of other options can lead you toward stories that have nothing to do with him (personally, though, I always liked battling Malloy and his ribald outlaws!). The entire scope of the book is good, and contains good, smart choices that can lead to logical success.
Julie Decker
Jul 07, 2014 Julie Decker rated it it was ok
You're in the Old West--not as a visitor, just as a person who actually lives in that time--and you can choose to have some typical shootouts with outlaws or you can try to find peace out West.

This was an oddly disconnected book with short beginning-to-end tracks--maybe because a lot of the scenarios did not interact with each other, so they had to be thin to coexist. I mostly wasn't interested in gunfights, so I panned for gold, and . . . got some gold. Ya know.
Tim Chizmar
Sep 01, 2012 Tim Chizmar rated it it was amazing
These books got me into READING as a kid. I loved that the books were about me. So cool.
Krystal Booth
Aug 02, 2011 Krystal Booth rated it liked it
I found out that I would not survive in the Old West. Thank you, Choose-Your-Own-Adventure!
Mark Austin
May 14, 2016 Mark Austin rated it liked it
- Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
- Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
- Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
- Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
- Amazing.
TYson
Jan 14, 2008 TYson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Self-adventure choosers
This one was a classic in my youth--at least in my eyes. Hands down the greatest in the seemingly neverending "Choose Your Own Adventure" series. By far I spent more time with this book over the course of my childhood than any other book.

This book is also noteworthy for most likely engendering my autistic tendencies (at least as far as the "nurture" side of the condition goes). Case in point: One needed only to give a number between 1 and 118 (the number of pages in the book) and I could give y
Hannah
Jan 21, 2013 Hannah rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I like because you can make your own choices and in the end, you either die, survive, or get rich. On each page you read, at the bottom it says like, if you choose to talk to Mr. Jenkins, go to page thirty two or something like that. You never read strait through the book because then it will not make sense. Every time you read the book, it ends up as a different story unless you did the exact same thing as the last time you read it. That is why you can read this book with ...more
Nathan Burgoine
May 28, 2015 Nathan Burgoine rated it liked it
I read these when I was nine/ten years old, voraciously devouring them and re-reading them over and over. My grade five teacher saw how much I loved them, and brought a "how-to" book to give to me, and I remember writing one of my own. It was probably terrible. Still, these books were one of my gateway books to reading non-stop for most of my childhood.

This one was less interesting to me as it was a western, but it was still fun.
Jenna
Another cool thing about these books is that I remember how beat up they were from the library because SO many kids read them. And all the corners of the paperback cover had worn away from the thumbing back and forth to check out different choices and endings. These books were a great combo of pulp fiction and dungeons and dragons style play - and the kind of interaction the Interwebs would someday provide. Also love the 1980s school book report subject matter.
Swankivy
Jun 11, 2013 Swankivy rated it it was ok
I didn't like Westerns or gunfights but I did like the Choose Your Own Adventure concept, so I picked this one up and tried to read options that let me avoid fighting the mean outlaw whose face threatened me from the cover. The most memorable line for me was the "panning for gold" option.
Lisam
Jul 27, 2014 Lisam rated it liked it
Not the best CHOA, but still quite a bit of fun. I had one problem, though. You are given the choice to a)join Kurt Malloy's gang, b)join KM's gang to destroy them from within and c)not join the gang. Since a and b are the same answer, I thought they'd lead to the same page, but they don't.
Lani
Aug 28, 2013 Lani rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
I'm sure this gets 4 stars for nostalgia more than anything else. But of the handful of CYOA books that my brother had, there were only a couple that I read over and over, and this was one. Now I want to go back and read it again.
Samantha
Aug 14, 2016 Samantha rated it liked it
I would get obsessive with these, trying to read every permutation of the story. I would dogear the page where I made a choice, read to the end, try to turn back...
Dani
Oct 04, 2008 Dani rated it really liked it
These books are so cool! You don't read cover to cover, you choose what happens! Sometimes all goes well, and sometimes the worst happens!
Denise Schiller
I will never grow up! love to read all the choose your own adventure books!!! this one is my personal favorite.
Laurie
Aug 23, 2008 Laurie rated it it was amazing
I can not tell you how many times I read and reread this book. It was the first choose your own adventure title I read and I was enthralled with it!
John
John rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2013
Angus Pigram
Angus Pigram rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2014
Virginia Hernandez
Virginia Hernandez rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Brandon Mata
Brandon Mata rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2013
Schneider Heim
Schneider Heim rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2013
Jesse Baggs
Jesse Baggs rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Karen Mackay
Karen Mackay rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2013
Fee
Fee rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Egemen Memçe
Egemen Memçe rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2014
Du
Du rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Lucy
Lucy rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2016
Shayne Foster
Shayne Foster rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2012
Holy
Holy rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • By Balloon to the Sahara (Choose Your Own Adventure, #3)
  • Vampire Express (Choose Your Own Adventure, #31)
  • Secret of the Pyramids (Choose Your Own Adventure, #19)
  • Space Patrol (Choose Your Own Adventure, #22)
  • Secret of the Ninja (Choose Your Own Adventure, #66)
  • Dungeon of Dread (Endless Quest, #1)
  • Inca Gold (Choose Your Own Adventure, #85)
  • The Kingdoms of Terror (Lone Wolf, #6)
Edward Packard attended and graduated from both Princeton University and Columbia Law School. He was one of the first authors to explore the idea of gamebooks, in which the reader is inserted as the main character and makes choices about the direction the story will go at designated places in the text.

The first such book that Edward Packard wrote in the Choose Your Own Adventure series was titled
More about Edward Packard...

Choose Your Own Adventure (1 - 10 of 185 books)
  • The Cave of Time (Choose Your Own Adventure, #1)
  • Journey Under the Sea (Choose Your Own Adventure, #2)
  • By Balloon to the Sahara (Choose Your Own Adventure, #3)
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • The Mystery Of Chimney Rock (Choose Your Own Adventure, #5)
  • Your Code Name Is Jonah (Choose Your Own Adventure #6)
  • The Third Planet from Altair (Choose Your Own Adventure, #7)
  • Who Killed Harlowe Thrombey? (Choose Your Own Adventure, #9)
  • The Lost Jewels of Nabooti (Choose Your Own Adventure, #10)
  • Mystery of the Maya (Choose Your Own Adventure, #11)