Start by marking “The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan” as Want to Read:
The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan

The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

To celebrate Peter's birthday, Frederick Warne is publishing new editions of all 23 of Potter's original tales, which take the very first printings of Potter's works as their guide. The aim of these editions is to be as close as possible to Beatrix Potter's intentions while benefiting from modern printing and design techniques.

The colors and details of the watercolors in
Published September 1st 1987 by Warne (first published December 1st 1905)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan

Gail
Dec 31, 2014 Gail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know, in today's world (if we had talking cats and dogs who invited each other over for tea, that is) Duchess the Dog would simply have informed Ribby that Cat that she was allergic to mouse, and then none of this mess would have happened.

Also, even allowing for a world in which dogs and cats invite each other over for tea with great courtesy, and where magpie doctors can be easily found and pursuaded to drop everything and come to take a look at an ill guest, I do find it a little far-fetch
From BBC School Radio:
One morning Duchess the dog receives a letter from Ribby the cat inviting her to tea. Duchess is pleased to accept, but then she remembers her friend will be cooking mouse pie...and Duchess doesn’t like mouse pie, not one bit! So she devises a plan to replace Ribby’s pie in the oven with her own freshly made ham pie. It’s the perfect plan, or so she thinks...
Binibining `E
Jul 25, 2016 Binibining `E rated it it was ok
Mouse and Bacon pie anyone??
Izida
Dec 24, 2014 Izida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Поредната сладурска книжка от поредицата "Детство мое".
Посмях се и ми се дояде пай с бекон, препоръчвам :D
Jun 04, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This book has it all: mystery, drama, animals who wear dresses and walk around on their hind legs. What *did* happen to that patty pan? Was there *really* mouse in that pie? And where on earth did Dr. Maggotty go to medical school *anyway*????
Joy C.
Jul 29, 2015 Joy C. rated it it was amazing
What a delightful and charming little book! Gracie and I read it this morning and loved it to bits :). The Duchess made us laugh so hard.
Audryaunna
Mar 13, 2016 Audryaunna rated it really liked it
This is a very cute story of Ribsy, a cat, and Dutchess, a dog who are very good friend. The plot twist is that Ribsy is allergic to mice. There is not much to say about this story.

Janelle
Strange little story
Dione Basseri
Generally, Potter's stories are greatly improved by the artwork. They're lively and soft and just a wonderfully sort of...kind look at the world. This book...the artwork just feels so off. Perhaps it's the dog. Generally, Duchess the Dog just looks off. I think it's because of the lack of clothing, combined with the upright stature. Potter most often either does unclothed animals walking on all fours or clothed animals on hind legs. Seeing the dog unclothed and on back legs is weird. It could al ...more
Cassidy
Mar 18, 2015 Cassidy rated it liked it
In this mysterious tale the story of a friendship between a cat and a dog goes wrong when they get together for a party. While the cat enjoys mouse pie, the dog is more interested in ham and veal and claims mouse makes her very ill. However, the dog of course does not want to be rude so he sneaks in his own pie and tries to trick her friend. This does not go well for the dog in the end.

The tale is set up like any classic tale loved by many children. What I found interesting was that the relatio
Melle
Aug 21, 2014 Melle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who can't say what they really feel
As I'm finding with most Beatrix Potter stories, this is a messed-up little tale involving deception. Duchess the little black dog is invited to have pie (meat pie, of course -- thank you, Britain) by Ribby the brown tabby cat, but Duchess doesn't let Ribby know she doesn't want mouse and then goes about trying to avoiding eating mouse and generally wreaking havoc. The illustrations are cute but entirely unbelievable (a cat in a dress - ha!).

Zelda did not care for this book or the ideas it put
A.R. Collins
Dec 23, 2014 A.R. Collins rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is not one of the better known Beatrix Potter stories, and I didn't remember much about it from when I was younger, therefore I was pleasantly surprised. The story is characteristically simple, but still fun and engaging, more so than some others by this author. I think Duchess a very amusing character, and the relationship between herself (a dog) and Ribby (a cat) smacks of truth; Potter has done a very good job of translating the tentative friendship between a cat and a dog into her own w ...more
Sarah Crawford
Feb 28, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
This is another of the Beatrix Potter books, published in 1905. The version I have has an illustration on the front cover that I don't really like at all. The dog (?) looks out of proportion, and the face appears almost evil in appearance.

Anyhow, a dog and a cat exchange invitations for dinner, the dog hoping it won't be mouse pie that's being included. The dog is making a veal-and-ham pie.

There's a mixup about whose pie is eaten, and the dog is sure she has eaten a patty-pan, which I'm not rea
W.B.
Dec 24, 2007 W.B. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone with kids...or without.
Hilarious. How exactly does one avoid eating "mouse pie" when it is so kindly proferred? By being underhanded apparently. And your reward for such underhandedness? Why, you end up swallowing a tin patty-pan. Or think you did. And your doctor is a senile rabbit. Beatrix Potter at some of her funniest...and the illustrations are just adorable. Read this to your kids...I'm not sure who will enjoy it more, though. :-)
B-zee
May 10, 2014 B-zee rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Apa jadinya jika kucing mengundang anjing ke pestanya? Si kucing dengan bangga mempersembahkan pie tikus terbaiknya untuk sang tamu, sedangkan si anjing mati-matian berusaha agar tak memakan tikus tanpa memberi tahu si tuan rumah. Yang terjadi adalah kesalahpahaman konyol yang seharusnya dapat diselesaikan dengan satu kalimat baik-baik.

Perjalanan panjang dengan ketegangan-ketegangan kecil yang kita tunggu-tunggu.

Dan pada akhirnya...kucing dan anjing sepertinya memang tidak akan rukun.
Neville Ridley-smith
My kids (14, 11, 9) & I are reading through the Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter. On to book 7.

Apparently this was originally published in a bigger format than the other books and only later converted to fit the smaller size.

A tale of subterfuge and manners. Personally I think it went on a bit long for what it was. And the ending was a bit weird.

14 year old gave it 4, 9 year old gave it 2. 11 year old was too tired and got bored!
Agata
Nov 04, 2016 Agata rated it did not like it
This is supposed to be a book for 3 year olds, but I doubt a modern 9 year old would understand it. There really isn't any point in buying Beatrix Potter books any more, because the target age won't get it and they'll lose interest by the third page. Once kids get old enough to actually know what's going on, they won't want to read it. Who can blame them, anyway? All Beatrix Potter books are ridiculously outdated and belong in a museum.
Jonathan
May 17, 2015 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Domesticated animals give this tale a more refined feel than Miss Potter's usual fare. Class does not prevent Ribby, a cat, from serving up mouse pie when she invites her friend Duchess, a little dog, over for tea one afternoon. Duchess suspects that this will be the case and attempts to change the menu to her advantage, but inevitably things do not go quite to plan. And where would the drama be if they did, pray tell?
Clare
Jan 26, 2013 Clare rated it really liked it
This has to be my favourite Beatrix Potter book. It is so ridiculous... the cats making "catty" remarks when one of them invites a dog over for tea... the dog brushing her fur and buying flowers, then begging for a lump of sugar on her nose and diving under the table. She just mixes up everything and it makes me laugh.
Natasha
Jan 01, 2015 Natasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
A cat invites a dog over for tea and bakes a special pie, the dog is sure the pie will be filled with mice so when the cat goes out to buy muffins, the dog decides to switch the pie with her own veal pie.
Eduard
Read as part of The Beatrix Potter Collection: Volume One.

This one did not have either the narrative of the other books in the collection nor the beautiful illustrations that accompany them ergo the two star rating.

Joani
Jan 05, 2013 Joani rated it really liked it
This book has many things working for it, great author, fantastic illustrator (one in the same, Beatrix Potter), but I will also admit, it has another claim on my affections, the star is a black Pomeranian. I like to pretend it is Cordelia.
Mellodi Parks
Dec 06, 2012 Mellodi Parks rated it it was amazing
Great story! one of the Potter series that I didn't read as a kid. Loved it as an adult now. I see now why I loved stories like Redwall as an adult. It all started thanks to Beatrix Potter's stories. Give these a read!
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Perhaps my favorite so far. It's basically a Cranford short story but staring animals! Just pure brillance. Also, interesting to see the pen and ink work along with the watercolor. Very nice. Also, adored the Bleak House joke, "Gammon" "Spinach!"
Bella
Aug 13, 2016 Bella rated it it was ok
I really enjoy Beatrix Potter and her books. I think they're so lovely and just beautiful. I would love to have the entire collection so i could read them whenever i just want to have a break from adult books.
Emkoshka
Fancy, a dog and a cat dining together! And the doctor is a magpie who talks nonsense. A cute but silly comedy of manners: if you don't like mouse pie, don't be shy about telling your host before the party!
jacky
Feb 07, 2010 jacky rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This was a little tale of mistaken pie identity. The confusion was a little funny, but this story focused too much the details of the housework for me. I also did not understand the doctor and didn't enjoy the illustrations as much as all the others so far.
Vivian
Oct 05, 2007 Vivian rated it it was ok
I'm going to go against the grain here: I thought the narrative was disjointed and a little awkward. (Does it improve on subsequent readings?) I'm not a huge Beatrix Potter fan, and this is not high on my list.
Steph
Nov 28, 2011 Steph rated it it was amazing
Imagine being invited to a party and knowing that you could not stomach the meal. That is exactly what happens to this poor little dog, but her plan to avoid the pie does not end as she expected.
Kim
Dec 31, 2015 Kim rated it it was ok
Mostly I was confused for the entire book. I would just re-read it to understand more, but I didn't so much like the anxiety chatter.
  • Raggedy Andy Stories
  • Arthur's Honey Bear
  • The Complete Illustrated Stories of Hans Christian Andersen
  • The First Dog
  • Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas
  • Something Queer is Going On (Something Queer Mysteries, #1)
  • Little Fur Family
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
  • Paddington Goes to Town (Paddington, #8)
  • Revolting Rhymes & Dirty Beasts
  • Morgan and Me (Serendipity)
  • A Frog Prince
  • Tell Me a Mitzi
  • The Remembered Visit
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin (Peter Rabbit)
  • The Tailor of Gloucester