Start by marking “Biopsychology” as Want to Read:
Biopsychology

Biopsychology

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  356 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews

The fifth edition of the book is the most major revision yet. Written in a friendly and engaging manner, Biopsychology clearly presents the fundamentals of the study of the biology of behavior but makes the topics personally and socially relevant to the reader. Four interwoven themes support the major recent developments in the rapidly changing field of biopsychology. Th

Hardcover, with Beyond the Brain and Behavior CD-ROM and with MyPsychKit (6th Edition), 576 pages
Published August 25th 2007 by Allyn & Bacon (first published January 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Biopsychology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biopsychology

Lewis Weinstein
An excellent overview of how the brain functions. When I say I read it, that's something of an overstatement. I read some sections, scanned others, and will come back to it again. This is in preparation for a one-week course next summer at Oxford.
Kayson Fakhar
Jul 09, 2014 Kayson Fakhar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
پیش نیاز حجیم ولی مفید.
Aaron
One of the better psychology texts books I've found. Pinel's writing is for the most part interesting and engaging, if the humor is spotty. This books has three things that make it stand apart from other text books.

First, it's meat and potatoes. Neuroanatomy is hard enough as it is. Information is kept relevant, on a "need to know" basis. If it's in the text book, you should probably know it. Pinel does a good job keeping his writing focused, using space to explain concepts and provide meaningf
Carolyn
Dec 24, 2013 Carolyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Emphasis on the psychology side of this text's title. Pinel caters to the B.A. crowd with this text that's notably deficient in adequate scientific explanation. For instance, "salts dissolve in water to form ions" wholly ignores CHEM 101 rules of solubility. Describing the complex physical sciences involved in generating an MRI image as "something to do with hydrogen atoms" is decidedly vague. 'Biopsychology' is a pleasantly science-soft work for those seeking a career in counselling psychology. ...more
Andres
Sep 06, 2011 Andres rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
I read this for a physiological psychology class but didn't read every chapter (only those that were assigned). After the class was over I planned to read the skipped chapters... but haven't actually gotten around to that. I don't see my opinion of the book changing after finishing it, so I might as well give my 2¢ worth.

It was informative and straightforward, nothing too difficult. Of course as with any textbook there's plenty of detail to get lost in, but a student's success is up to that indi
Jyotika Varmani
Aug 20, 2014 Jyotika Varmani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the gold standard for anyone who wants to master biopsychology. I did not understand anything of this difficult subject till I got hold of this book. All the concepts in this book are very clear, and build upon each other. Since biopsychology is a major focus of psychology today, this book must interest every student today.
Aysha
Aug 31, 2014 Aysha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was actually a text book for one of my undergraduate program classes, i had t return the university copy and purchased another one for myself. definitely a keeper. The information presentation is easy to follow, anyone can read this book and understand it, all you is passion for Biopsychology.
Sofie
Jan 20, 2013 Sofie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is quite good. I read it for class in biological psychology and it's full of well-written, easy-to-grasp knowledge on the subject - and also amusing or interesting cases to illustrate, and even a joke here and there.

The only thing I wish for this book, which it was missing, is chapter summaries. Some might fear that this will allow students to only read summaries and not gain the deeper grasp that full reading lets them have, but now that I'm looking things over for my exam, I'm really miss
Lisa
Sep 06, 2007 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Student / Psychology Professors
Pinel's Biopsychology text book is amazing. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of time and effort that had to go into it. I am not sure, but I really don't think you can find another book in the field of Biopsychology that appeals to such a wide range of readers. This was the text assigned to me during my graduate level Biopsychology class, and honestly when I first registered for the class I thought I was done for! There was no way I was going to be able to master biopsychology - until I ...more
Cassie
May 28, 2012 Cassie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students, neurostudents
Recommended to Cassie by: Psyc 367 @Ball State University
Shelves: school
This book was for my Psych 367 class at Ball State University. It was an educational book that taught me a lot of different aspects of the human mind. It was a pleasant read because the author made the language more on the level of a conversation with him instead of trying to be necessary high-brow which a lot of other texts tend to do. This ease in the text made it easier to read and a result was able to finish the course in a more timely fashion than I thought I would be able to do. When teach ...more
Dre Battles
It's a great textbook, but sometimes there were seemingly whole paragraphs with nothing but vocab words. The problem with this was that it focused more on the definition then on the concepts sometimes. But a big plus for this book would be the illustrations! It has pictures of pretty much every thing we go over in the book (action potentials, anatomy of a neuron, the brain and it's lobes and gyri).
Stacey
Feb 11, 2011 Stacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book and CD were very interactive and useful. Probably my favorite upper division class next to History and Systems of Psych. I would recommend this book to anyone taking neuro or bio psych especially if you don't like the assigned text book. A good reference to have if you're looking for a more interactive way of learning the concepts.
Azra
Oct 27, 2012 Azra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, psychology, favorites
Actually studying from this book but it's amazing. It shows and explains a lot of things we asked ourselves but never got a real answer (why do we sleep, dream, have sexual preferences...) Pinel is very funny sometimes. 'Men are quite boring in this hormonal sense' and I just love it because he makes it so simple! :)
Dyan Anunson
This is an easily read text book. It is well organized and gives a very nice overview to the subject matter. Flashcards on the accompanying Cd help with learning new terms.
Lisa Marie
Jun 30, 2013 Lisa Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Very informative and interesting to read. Some of the concepts were occasionally difficult to understand, but Pinel generally did a good job explaining them to be understood.
Blair Boggs
This book was not written for intro level students. The visuals are great but the information is not explained well and is very jumbled in my opinion.
Name Third Name
Oct 01, 2014 Name Third Name rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
LOVE! wonderful text book. will change the way you view living creatures.
Irfan
Oct 03, 2013 Irfan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lagi nyari buku ini versi bahasa indonesia. Tpyamg ori. Beli dimana ya?
Beth
Dec 17, 2013 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
It was good for a textbook.
Aneta Jackowska-Musiol
great textbook
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Amna
Amna added it
Natahali
Natahali rated it liked it
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Marek-Leszek
Marek-Leszek marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
El Rey
El Rey rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Gucor
Gucor rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Somee
Somee marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
  • The Act of Creation
  • Abnormal Child Psychology
  • Cognitive Psychology
  • The Post-College Guide to Happiness
  • Discovering Statistics Using SPSS (Introducing Statistical Methods)
  • Identity and the Life Cycle