Start by marking “The Fall of Fortresses: A Personal Account of the Most Daring, and Deadly, American Air Battles of World War II” as Want to Read:

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Published April 1st 1980 by Putnam Pub Group (T)

To ask other readers questions about The Fall of Fortresses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fall of Fortresses

Michael
I liked "The Fall of Fortresses" and I liked it a lot. I bought the book back in the 1980's but never got around to reading it. I found it in my collection and thought I'd give a try. I am really glad I did.

The author, Elmer Bendiner, was a Jewish U.S. Army Air Corps navigator who flew in the nose of B-17 flying fortresses during World War Two and this is his memoir. Bendiner weaves a tale of his life during those times, using a rambling style of writing in which a dozen metaphors or more appea
F
Parts were really excellent and having said that,obviously, parts were not. The missions were interesting and his style of writing really accentuated that aspect of his story. Not really appreciative of the cavalier handling of the affairs he had while overseas while proclaiming his love for his wife and daughter. The first half of the book really deserves 4 stars, the last half 2 stars hence the 3 star rating.
Mike
Sep 16, 2008 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Military History Buffs
Recommended to Mike by: Dad
I love planes. Especially big ones, and especially ones that shoot stuff. I also love military history, so this book was perfect. Its an amazing account of some of the most and least successful air campaigns in World War II. A must for military history buffs, a good read for anyone.
Randy Reil
Randy Reil marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Zachary Cochran
Zachary Cochran marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Haley
Haley marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Mark Michel
Mark Michel marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Jay Verhorevoort
Jay Verhorevoort marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
James Allcorn
James Allcorn marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Rich
Rich marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
The Rise and Fall of Paradise The Bowery Man The Virgin Diplomats A Time For Angels: The Tragicomic History Of The League Of Nations The Right Stuff/Kennedy & Roosevelt/The Fall of Fortresses/Heyday/The Dictionary of Misinformation (Condensed Books, Vol 8, #5)