Start by marking “The Fall of Fortresses: A Personal Account of the Most Daring, and Deadly, American Air Battles of World War II” as Want to Read:

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  40 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Published April 1st 1980 by Putnam Pub Group (T)

To ask other readers questions about The Fall of Fortresses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fall of Fortresses

F
Jul 23, 2015 F rated it liked it
Parts were really excellent and having said that,obviously, parts were not. The missions were interesting and his style of writing really accentuated that aspect of his story. Not really appreciative of the cavalier handling of the affairs he had while overseas while proclaiming his love for his wife and daughter. The first half of the book really deserves 4 stars, the last half 2 stars hence the 3 star rating.
Juli Kinrich
Apr 28, 2016 Juli Kinrich rated it liked it
I read this book because, like the author, my dad was in the Army Air Force stationed in England, sent on raids over Germany to knock out Nazi strongholds. My dad, the captain of his own B-17 ("The Flying Fortress") bomber named "The Charlene," didn't speak much about the war. It was illuminating to read what Bendiner had to say about it.

A QUIBBLE: Goodreads has the book's subtitle wrong. I have the paperback in front of me, and the subtitle is "A personal account of ONE OF the most daring--and
Michael
May 25, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing
I liked "The Fall of Fortresses" and I liked it a lot. I bought the book back in the 1980's but never got around to reading it. I found it in my collection and thought I'd give a try. I am really glad I did.

The author, Elmer Bendiner, was a Jewish U.S. Army Air Corps navigator who flew in the nose of B-17 flying fortresses during World War Two and this is his memoir. Bendiner weaves a tale of his life during those times, using a rambling style of writing in which a dozen metaphors or more appea
Scott Moreland
Jun 25, 2016 Scott Moreland rated it liked it
As someone who reads a lot of well researched history books this was a change in style for me. A personal account of one man s war experience. This of course gave a nice look into the grind of an every day soldier s life. It was also interesting to have his perspective of the air battles during the war.
Mike
Sep 16, 2008 Mike rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Military History Buffs
Recommended to Mike by: Dad
I love planes. Especially big ones, and especially ones that shoot stuff. I also love military history, so this book was perfect. Its an amazing account of some of the most and least successful air campaigns in World War II. A must for military history buffs, a good read for anyone.
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Kurt Strawhecker
Kurt Strawhecker rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Patty
Patty rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Penny Linsenmayer
Penny Linsenmayer rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Dan Carlton
Dan Carlton rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Harrison
Harrison marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
Mitch Manuelito
Mitch Manuelito marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Mark Barosky
Mark Barosky rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Mike Hall
Mike Hall rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Doug Phillips
Doug Phillips marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Sandie
Sandie rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Carcass600
Carcass600 marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Carol
Carol added it
Nov 30, 2015
Lawrnece Hirsch
Lawrnece Hirsch marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Michael Whitehead
Michael Whitehead marked it as to-read
George
George marked it as to-read
Brandon White
Brandon White rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2015