Start by marking “The Christmas Gift” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Gift

The Christmas Gift

In Australia, Rosie is preparing for a family Christmas like no other. Across the world in Dublin, another family's holiday plans are about to go in an unexpected direction.

Filled with Monica McInerney's trademark warmth, heart and humour, these two beautiful new short stories will delight readers this Christmas.
Published November 29th 2013 by Penguin Australia (first published November 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Gift

Sharon
Dec 30, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed these two short stories which were very quick to read.

The first story is The Christmas List: Two years after Rosie and Dan are married they celebrate the birth of their daughter Amy. Although Rosie and Dan love being parents they also learn very quickly just how exhausting it can be. The year that Amy starts school is the year that Rosie and Dan are to host the Christmas celebrations. For Rosie controlling a five year old was hard enough so she had no idea how she was going to o
Brenda
The Christmas List

Rosie was an only child, so when she married Dan she had an instant family. Dan was one of eight, and every year a different family would host the Christmas celebrations. Rosie was initially terrified, but after realizing she had seven years until it was their turn, she felt she would be able to cope.

During the intervening years, they were blessed with a daughter, Amy. Amy was the delight of the celebrations each Christmas, a beautiful child always happy and smiling. But sudde
Kathy
Dec 07, 2013 Kathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Monica McInerney, but not a huge fan of short stories, but when Monica gave a shout out the other day that she had a short story ebook gift, i grabbed it as a gift for Christmas! These stories are very short - there are two in the book and took me 20 mins to read them both. Christmas themed stories of course, these books are just grab a cuppa and some Christmas cake - by the time you are finished the cuppa, the books will be also. Just quick easy reads.......nice feelgood stories though. ...more
Kathryn
Dec 17, 2013 Kathryn rated it liked it
Very quick and easy read. So quick, it can be read in 1 sitting! There are 2 short stories - certainly not of the quality of Monica McInerney's regular length novels, but sweet little tales that may help get you in the mood for Christmas.
Jess
The Christmas Gift consist of two short stories by Best Selling Australian Author Monica McInerney: The Christmas List; The Holiday.

The Christmas List

The Christmas List is a short story that puts the meaning of Christmas and Family into perspective. It’s the story of how a young couple, Rosie and Dan, fall in love and get married. It’s about Dan’s family’s Christmas traditions and how at first Rosie is both pertified and perplexed by them. It’s about how time passes and the pair have a child, Am
A.M.
Mar 04, 2016 A.M. rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own, e-books
Two short stories from the Irish Australian McInerney.
The Christmas List - List writing helps a mother deal with the worst news of all; her child is ill. Her only child.
It’s funny but I moved countries and arrived days before Christmas and the family all decided they would stay at my house. Literally the only way I got through that was with lists; incredibly detailed ones. So this really resonated.
***
The holiday - As times get tough, a family dips into their holiday savings until there is nothin
Lee
Jan 14, 2014 Lee rated it liked it
I haven't read any books by Monica McInerney before and thought that this would be a good introduction, but I found the short stories were just too short. I do enjoy a good novella but would have liked these stories to be a bit longer. Having said that, they are a free offering so they are a good intro to the author. There are two feel good Christmas stories in this edition that were rounded off nicely and I read them while having a cuppa.
copy kindly provided by Netgalley and the publisher
Nicki
Nov 12, 2015 Nicki rated it it was ok
I did download quite a few festive short stories. Even though I don't really like them. I think I might go on a deleting spree. Monica is an author I've read before and enjoyed, but these stories are both too brief to be of any really substance, and I find them sappy, too (which is, I guess, the point!). Full length stories for me from now on....
Belinda
Jan 08, 2014 Belinda rated it liked it
These two short stories are short, sweet and very nice - a very pleasant antidote to the craziness that is the Christmas season. If you find yourself too stressed out to continue, five minutes with one of these tales will bring a smile to your dial.

I received a copy of these short stories via Netgalley but these opinions are my own.
Bettina
Dec 26, 2013 Bettina rated it it was ok
Not really a fan of short story books. You just start to get into the characters and then the book is finished. Loved the storyline though, just wish that it went for longer. Only read it because I love Monica's books.
Megan
Aug 31, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it
Two really short holiday stories. Both sweet and engaging. The second one even brought me to tears. Still one of my fave Aussie authors, though these stories were a little too short for my liking. Lucky they were free.
Helen
Dec 08, 2013 Helen rated it it was ok
Love the writing, but only 50% of the novella is two VERY brief stories. Stick to her full novels :-/
Cai
Paula Clark
Two short and heart warming stories - you never know what's around the corner and those things in life you thought were HUGE before can pale into insignificance when faced with life's challenges.
Sally906
A novellete with 2 short Christmas stories - sweet reads about making the best of circumstances and not loosing hope.
Chelle
Chelle rated it did not like it
Dec 11, 2014
emma lee fletcher
emma lee fletcher rated it it was ok
Dec 04, 2015
Madi Janes
Madi Janes rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2014
Melinda
Melinda rated it liked it
May 09, 2014
Andrew Boote
Andrew Boote rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Sarah O'Brien
Sarah O'Brien rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Mara Morell
Mara Morell rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
Bianca
Aug 04, 2016 Bianca rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Getting a taste for Ms McInerney with her free holiday read.
Rachael
Rachael rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2015
peta leach
peta leach rated it did not like it
Aug 25, 2016
Olivia
Olivia rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2015
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Jess
Jess rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2016
marion mckevitt
marion mckevitt rated it it was ok
Nov 01, 2015
Michelle Ritchie
Michelle Ritchie rated it did not like it
Apr 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Kissing Season
  • House for all Seasons
  • 12 Days at Silver Bells House (Swallow's Fall #2)
  • Her Mistletoe Cowboy (The Wildflower Ranch #2; A Marietta Christmas #3)
  • The Heart Whisperer
  • Ask Me to Stay (Homeland, #1)
  • Hope's Road
  • Little Exiles
  • The Christmas Carol Murders
  • Little Joe
  • Standoff (Vin Cooper, #6)
  • Christmas Magic
  • Run to Me
  • Paper Chains
  • Night Tide (Blake Sanders #2)
  • A Sense of Belonging
  • Saving Grace
  • Elianne
Www.monicamcinerney.com
Www.facebook.com/monicamcinerneyauthor

Monica McInerney is the internationally bestselling author of eleven novels including Hello from the Gillespies, The House of Memories, Lola's Secret, At Home with the Templetons, Family Baggage, The Alphabet Sisters and Those Faraday Girls (which was named the General Fiction Book of the Year in the 2008 Australian Book Industry Awards.
More about Monica McInerney...

“She just waited. Rosie had no choice. She’d have to do it on her own. She’d do anything for Amy, even hear whatever she was about to hear, on her own. The consultant was in his office. It was as untidy as always. He didn’t smile. It wasn’t a bad sign. He” 1 likes
“Rosie stood up. ‘Is everything all right? Is Amy —’ ‘She’s fine, Rosie.’ They had long been on first-name terms. ‘But there’s been a change in today’s schedule. Can you come and see the consultant now?” 0 likes