Start by marking “Middlemarch: Part 1 & Part 2” as Want to Read:
Middlemarch: Part 1 & Part 2

Middlemarch: Part 1 & Part 2

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  26 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Middlemarch is a recognized masterpiece that explores the complex social world of nineteenth-century England. It is concerned with the lives of several ordinary people, albeit ones with high social standing.The novel is set in the small town of Middlemarch and follows the interrelated lives of several characters. At the heart of the book is Dorothea, a kind-hearted and hon ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published April 1st 2006 by Tantor Media Inc

To ask other readers questions about Middlemarch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Middlemarch

Christina
Nov 15, 2011 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, audiobook
I never would have believed after the innocuous, slightly dull beginning, this book would build into such a dramatic soap opera of 19th century human folly. George Eliot adds layer upon layer to the plot and characters until I went from not sure I'd even finish, to definitely hooked! Really good read!
Susie
Dec 07, 2011 Susie rated it really liked it
Shelves: british, audiobook
I read a rumour that Eliot was paid by the word for this book, and that would make an awful lot of sense. This book had a lot of great insights and told a story that I was interested in, I cared about the characters, I liked the minor characters and the colour that they added. However, it was just way too long, and the payoff wasn't nearly big enough. I'm happy that I read it, I do want to have read the classics and know the story and the point that the author is trying to make, but I did feel t ...more
Varina
Nov 10, 2011 Varina rated it really liked it
Do I think this is the greatest book in the English language? No, I am not sure what I would name, but this is just a very well written and engaging slice of life novel. I wasn't blown away or anything. I think it may have earned that title for being so totally uncontroversially good. Anyway, I enjoyed it and am glad I read it.
Apr 23, 2012 Jennifer rated it did not like it
Recommended to Jennifer by: Sally
Okay, it's not exactly an "I hated it" thing - I'm just having a hard time following it on audio when I can't listen to it continuously. Classic lit takes more pondering than my brain seems to want to do early in the morning while trying to commute on the 101 :) Gonna try the actual book version this summer!
Teri
May 15, 2008 Teri rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Teri by: A passenger on the plane
What fun this was! I loved the narrator Kate Reading.She did such a great job with male and female voices. This is an unabridged version, and is 31 hours and 52 min long. As far as the story goes, all I have to say is Yeah!!Dorothea, and BOOOOOOO! Rosamunde.
Helen Southall
Mar 30, 2010 Helen Southall rated it it was amazing
Wonderful classic. Full of Victorian drama, angst, class distinctions, unrequited love, stuffy characters and did I say - Drama. Long book but was excellent in audio form.
Emily
Dec 17, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books, adult
Despite the length, this book kept me engaged and wanting more. Eliot has an amazing way with language and creating depth in her characters.
Mark
Sep 08, 2007 Mark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recentlyread
great summer read (listen), excellent on audiobook
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Debye
Debye marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
Sep 16, 2015
Annina Brun
Annina Brun rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Psyche Ready
Psyche Ready marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Ghazal Snicker
Ghazal Snicker marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2015
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Spartickle
Spartickle rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2014
Celeste
Celeste marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Anas
Anas marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2013
Sheena-kay Graham
Sheena-kay Graham marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2012
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2012
Edward Schroth
Edward Schroth rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2011
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2011
Karthi
Karthi marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2010
Kathe
Kathe rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2010
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2010
ester
ester rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2010
In 1819, novelist George Eliot (nee Mary Ann Evans), was born at a farmstead in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, England, where her father was estate manager. Mary Ann, the youngest child and a favorite of her father's, received a good education for a young woman of her day. Influenced by a favorite governess, she became a religious evangelical as an adolescent. Her first published work was a religious poe ...more
More about George Eliot...