Middlemarch: Part 1 & Part 2

Middlemarch: Part 1 & Part 2

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  8 reviews
One of the most accomplished and prominent novels of the Victorian era, Middlemarch is an unsurpassed portrait of nineteenth-century English provincial life.
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published April 1st 2006 by Tantor Media Inc

To ask other readers questions about Middlemarch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Middlemarch

Christina
I never would have believed after the innocuous, slightly dull beginning, this book would build into such a dramatic soap opera of 19th century human folly. George Eliot adds layer upon layer to the plot and characters until I went from not sure I'd even finish, to definitely hooked! Really good read!
Susie
I read a rumour that Eliot was paid by the word for this book, and that would make an awful lot of sense. This book had a lot of great insights and told a story that I was interested in, I cared about the characters, I liked the minor characters and the colour that they added. However, it was just way too long, and the payoff wasn't nearly big enough. I'm happy that I read it, I do want to have read the classics and know the story and the point that the author is trying to make, but I did feel t...more
Varina
Do I think this is the greatest book in the English language? No, I am not sure what I would name, but this is just a very well written and engaging slice of life novel. I wasn't blown away or anything. I think it may have earned that title for being so totally uncontroversially good. Anyway, I enjoyed it and am glad I read it.
Okay, it's not exactly an "I hated it" thing - I'm just having a hard time following it on audio when I can't listen to it continuously. Classic lit takes more pondering than my brain seems to want to do early in the morning while trying to commute on the 101 :) Gonna try the actual book version this summer!
Teri
May 15, 2008 Teri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Teri by: A passenger on the plane
What fun this was! I loved the narrator Kate Reading.She did such a great job with male and female voices. This is an unabridged version, and is 31 hours and 52 min long. As far as the story goes, all I have to say is Yeah!!Dorothea, and BOOOOOOO! Rosamunde.
Helen Southall
Wonderful classic. Full of Victorian drama, angst, class distinctions, unrequited love, stuffy characters and did I say - Drama. Long book but was excellent in audio form.
Emily
Despite the length, this book kept me engaged and wanting more. Eliot has an amazing way with language and creating depth in her characters.
Mark
great summer read (listen), excellent on audiobook
Anas
Anas marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Sheena-kay Graham
Sheena-kay Graham marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2012
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2012
Karthi
Karthi marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2010
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2009
Billy Masterson
Billy Masterson marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2008
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2007
In 1819, novelist George Eliot (nee Mary Ann Evans), was born at a farmstead in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, England, where her father was estate manager. Mary Ann, the youngest child and a favorite of her father's, received a good education for a young woman of her day. Influenced by a favorite governess, she became a religious evangelical as an adolescent. Her first published work was a religious poe...more
More about George Eliot...
Middlemarch Silas Marner The Mill on the Floss Adam Bede Daniel Deronda