Start by marking “Journey Under the Sea (Choose Your Own Adventure, #2)” as Want to Read:
Journey Under the Sea (Choose Your Own Adventure, #2)

Journey Under the Sea (Choose Your Own Adventure (Chooseco) #2)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  756 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Can You Find the Lost City of Atlantis?

You are a deep sea explorer on a mission to locate the lost city of Atlantis. According to legend, the city mysteriously disappeared many thousands of years ago. One day, as you are searching the ocean depths, you are trapped outside your underwater vessel. As your friends begin to haul you up, a giant squid heads directly toward you.
Published August 1st 1982 by Skylark (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Journey Under the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journey Under the Sea

Jason Koivu
As a Jay Leno-esque, Chinny McStrongchin looking character, you are off to explore the depths of the ocean with hopes of finding Atlantis. Let's go!

On my first adventure I fought a ginormous squid, discovered an ancient Greek ship upon which was a map showing a tunnel to the center of the earth. I entered the tunnel and soon the water turned to gas and I had to dodge massive atoms. The world became a shade more psychedelic. Undefined presences surrounded me as I entered a thought world. I'd foun
Michael
Jun 09, 2013 Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, fantasy gamers, aging gen x-ers
Recommended to Michael by: Martha Grutchfield
This book probably loses a star, because I made the mistake of buying the re-issue, rather than the original I read as a kid. They screwed up the artwork, first of all, replacing the original illustrations with lame sketches by cut-rate illustrators. The original art wasn't that great, either, really, but if they weren't going to improve on it, they should have kept it for nostalgia's sake. There have also been subtle edits to the text. I'm sure my 1978 edition never mentioned a "PDA," whatever ...more
Weathervane
Good. Montgomery's prose leaves something to be desired, but the book is always imaginative.

I disliked the way the Atlanteans were subtly different within each plot branch. It grew to be rather confusing, as you're always wondering whether they're the same group of people you met in your last read-through. Basically, internal consistency is low.
Julie Decker
You're a deep-sea diver and you're given a unique opportunity to go exploring in an undiscovered area . . . but could it be you're going to get a chance to find out whether Atlantis is mythology or reality?

Science fiction is pretty awesome partly because you're not you and reality isn't reality. You get to accept new givens and move on from there to enjoy the what-ifs. So what troubled me most about this story--even in all its multiple possibilities--was that all the paths led to poorly conceive
Betsy
Sep 14, 2007 Betsy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: free thinkers!
This series allows the reader to do something he or she may never in his/her own life be able to do...and choose his or her OWN adventure! Plus it is about the sea, which is totally rad! Don't settle for the outcome thrust upon you by society! Choose your OWN adventure man!

I am currently trying to locate the publishers of "The Bible" (see my review of this book) and see if I could perhaps spearhead a project to convert it into a choose your own adventure book!
Samantha Penrose
I read this with my seven year old and was disappointed.
I remember choose your-own-adventure books to be exciting and fun; something that you could read again and again... this one, however, seemed to push the message that "curiosity killed the cat." All of the exciting options ended with our demise!
Jamie
This was the first CYOA book I ever read. I read it in 4th grade, and was hooked on CYOAs. I remember being blown away by the concept of a book told in the 2nd-person.

I cannot wait to introduce my own kids to these wonderful books.
Arthur Graham
Just thinking of this book is giving me the bends again...
Holden Attradies
This one was pretty good. I would rate it in quality towards the top of the choose your own adventure books, maybe not the VERY top, but the upper middle.

The story was quick paced enough and constantly engaging enough to have me and my 6 year old coming back until we had reached almost all the endings. I would say that there were perhaps too many endings, or maybe they were just spaced weirdly. They were very story arc ending heavy, so to get to most of them you had to re-read the first 3-10 pa
David Sarkies
The Quest for Atlantis
17 June 2012

I got this book at the same time that I got the first book in the series and as I mentioned before I was thrilled that my parents gave me these as a Christmas present as I have never heard of them before and the idea of having a book where you got to chose how the adventure unfolded was wonderful, especially as I was kid who was bored at the real lack of adventure games on the market. Then again, this was back in the days where only a few people had a games con
Swankivy
I read this Choose Your Own Adventure book as a kid, and though I loved the concept, I thought the different endings weren't fleshed out enough to be interesting. I loved science fiction and fantasy primarily because you got to explore new situations where the givens of your own life weren't given at all, and it bothered me that so little worldbuilding and character development for the people you met was offered in the story. It made the story seem gimmicky, focused entirely on "you get to pick ...more
Dolly
Apr 29, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children who enjoy choose-your-own adventure books
Our oldest has been bringing home various You Choose books from her elementary school library. And now at our local library we've discovered some of the books from the original Choose Your Own Adventure series that I read when I was a child. I remember loving books like this in my childhood and I am excited that our girls are discovering them as well.

This book focuses on an undersea scientific exploration to find the lost city of Atlantis. Many of the paths took us on a sci-fi journey that we co
Colton
It was pretty generic and the writing was subpar, but I had fun with this one. Judging from the title, you'd think this would be a pretty straightforward adventure. However, Montgomery loves his existential psychadelic mumbo jumbo, and there's a fair amount of it here. Considering this was the second book in the series, and the first one by Montgomery, it's only a shadow of what was to come. It's pretty good, but not very memorable. I'd still check it out.
Nathan Burgoine
I read these when I was nine/ten years old, voraciously devouring them and re-reading them over and over. My grade five teacher saw how much I loved them, and brought a "how-to" book to give to me, and I remember writing one of my own. It was probably terrible. Still, these books were one of my gateway books to reading non-stop for most of my childhood.
Hellread
Lori
I was took a journey back to my childhood recently when my soon-to-be 4th grader picked out some Choose Your Own Adventure books at the library! Do you remember these books? They are the coolest. And any book that is water related in the summer is always a winner!
nov
udah lama punya buku ini. waktu kecil di beliin papa di lapak2 buku bekas bareng setumpuk buku2 bekas lainnya. dulu papa kl pulang kerja emang hobi nyariin anaknya yang satu ini buku2 bekas di lapak2 pinggir jalan daerah jatinegara. tujuan awalnya sih biar hemat krn buku baru mahal. hehehe. tapi sekarang si papa agak tega soalnya anaknya gak pernah dibeliin buku2 bekas lagi alhasil uang bulanan cepet abis buat beli sendiri :p

yang menarik dari buku ini karena buku ini gak cuma terdiri dari satu t
Sam
a cant let down book!
jaman waktu kecil dlu, buku ini menemani ke mana-mana, ceritanya mang pendek-pendek itu yg jd penghalang menikmatinya the fullest... tp kita dikasi 'power' untuk menentukan mau ke mana kita berikutnya dan semua pilihan itu merujuk kita pada pada suatu hal yg akan menentukan hasil akhir yang kita terima -- kapan lg bs menentukan ending cerita?

kadang2 kalau sebel,
aq runut ulang bacaannya dari awal trus pilih hal yg berbeda dengan tadi biar tau hasil lainnya seperti apa, hihi..
Neville Ridley-smith
This is very patchy. At first I thought it was quite decent - the choices and outcomes made sense for the first bunch of options I chose. But as I further explored every possible path it became apparent that a lot of it is totally inconsistent.

In a book like this you expect there to be an underlying setting and your choices are about your approach to that setting. In this book, the people you encounter often seem to be totally different - in one path a kingdom, in another the same people are a s
Britt Freeman
Strangely darker and more claustrophobic than I remember when I read as a kid. Plus all the acid dropping, leaving the body, thought traveling stuff is way out there.
Melissa
I vividly remember reading this in elementary school. I enjoyed the Atlantis story lines. I loved the Choose Your Own Adventure books.
Nevaeh
Mar 25, 2015 Nevaeh is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
i thought building my own adventure was pretty cool. This book was one of my favorites by this author.
Becky B
I remember this being my favorite choose your own adventure. I think I checked it out a dozen times.
Çavlan
It was more like a journey to my childhood :)
Room 205
Read this in preparation for our field trip to 826 Seattle for a CYOA workshop.
Keisuke Nishimura
Journy Under the Sea(Choose Your Own Adventure)

It took 65 minutes to read this book.
There are a lot of endings...

7 word summary
Sea-Adventure-Submarine-Creature-Dangerous-Journey-main Character

Discussion Question
1. If you were main character in this book, do you want to go to under the sea?
A. No, It seems be dangerous! At the same time, it seems to be interesting...
However, I don't want to go there
2. What do you think about deep ocean?
A. I think there are beautiful view and a lot of fish, but som
Asher
The book I read is called Journey Under The Sea by R.A Montgomery Fiction This is

a story about a diver who tries to find Atlantis. I liked this book because it’s A Choose Your

Own Adventure book but it needed to be longer. The writer uses technology and magic to make

Atlantis seem real. People should get this book because the reader can choose their own plot. I

recommend this book for 7 to 11 year olds.
Josiah
I would probably give this book one and a half stars. The adventure itself is interesting to me, divergent into many different plots and sub-plots and sub-sub-plots as a result of containing more choices than most Choose Your Own Adventure books. The writing seems fairly simplistic in comparison to most other CYOA gamebooks, but the story is good, and I find it an interesting read.
Jessie!
This book is a pain in the but and gets very frustrating to read on, like the third or fourth time. I just gave up reading it. I DIED every time. Your reading and are all like, "Oh this is easy. Cool, I'm gunna live." Then BOOM, the next page you read and at the bottom. YOU DIED.
WHAT! Very hard to read. Even for a "fun" book.
  • The Cave of Time (Choose Your Own Adventure, #1)
  • By Balloon to the Sahara (Choose Your Own Adventure, #3)
  • Vampire Express (Choose Your Own Adventure, #31)
  • Secret of the Pyramids (Choose Your Own Adventure, #19)
  • Space Patrol (Choose Your Own Adventure, #22)
  • Inca Gold (Choose Your Own Adventure, #85)
  • Mountain Of Mirrors (Endless Quest, #2)
  • Secret of the Ninja (Choose Your Own Adventure, #66)
  • The Masters of Darkness (Lone Wolf, #12)
  • Forest of Doom (Fighting Fantasy, #3)
Raymond A. Montgomery (born 1936 in Connecticut) is an author and progenitor of the Choose Your Own Adventure interactive children's book series. Montgomery graduated from Williams College and went to graduate school at Yale University and New York University (NYU). Montgomery has devoted his life to teaching and education.
More about R.A. Montgomery...

Choose Your Own Adventure (Chooseco) (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • The Abominable Snowman (Choose Your Own Adventure, #13)
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • The Lost Jewels of Nabooti (Choose Your Own Adventure, #10)
  • Mystery of the Maya (Choose Your Own Adventure, #11)
  • House of Danger (Choose Your Own Adventure, #15)
  • The Race Forever (Choose Your Own Adventure, #17)
  • Escape (Choose Your Own Adventure, #20)
  • Lost on the Amazon (Choose Your Own Adventure, #24)
  • Prisoner of the Ant People (Choose Your Own Adventure, #25)
  • Trouble on Planet Earth (Choose Your Own Adventure, #29)
Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4) The Abominable Snowman (Choose Your Own Adventure, #13) Mystery of the Maya (Choose Your Own Adventure, #11) Return to Atlantis (Choose Your Own Adventure, #78) The Lost Jewels of Nabooti (Choose Your Own Adventure, #10)