Start by marking “Journey Under the Sea (Choose Your Own Adventure, #2)” as Want to Read:
Journey Under the Sea (Choose Your Own Adventure, #2)

Journey Under the Sea (Choose Your Own Adventure (Chooseco) #2)

Can You Find the Lost City of Atlantis?

You are a deep sea explorer on a mission to locate the lost city of Atlantis. According to legend, the city mysteriously disappeared many thousands of years ago. One day, as you are searching the ocean depths, you are trapped outside your underwater vessel. As your friends begin to haul you up, a giant squid heads directly toward you.
Published August 1st 1982 by Skylark (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Journey Under the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journey Under the Sea

Jason Koivu
As a Jay Leno-esque, Chinny McStrongchin looking character, you are off to explore the depths of the ocean with hopes of finding Atlantis. Let's go!

On my first adventure I fought a ginormous squid, discovered an ancient Greek ship upon which was a map showing a tunnel to the center of the earth. I entered the tunnel and soon the water turned to gas and I had to dodge massive atoms. The world became a shade more psychedelic. Undefined presences surrounded me as I entered a thought world. I'd foun
Michael
Jun 09, 2013 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, fantasy gamers, aging gen x-ers
Recommended to Michael by: Martha Grutchfield
This book probably loses a star, because I made the mistake of buying the re-issue, rather than the original I read as a kid. They screwed up the artwork, first of all, replacing the original illustrations with lame sketches by cut-rate illustrators. The original art wasn't that great, either, really, but if they weren't going to improve on it, they should have kept it for nostalgia's sake. There have also been subtle edits to the text. I'm sure my 1978 edition never mentioned a "PDA," whatever ...more
Weathervane
Good. Montgomery's prose leaves something to be desired, but the book is always imaginative.

I disliked the way the Atlanteans were subtly different within each plot branch. It grew to be rather confusing, as you're always wondering whether they're the same group of people you met in your last read-through. Basically, internal consistency is low.
Swankivy
Jun 11, 2013 Swankivy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this Choose Your Own Adventure book as a kid, and though I loved the concept, I thought the different endings weren't fleshed out enough to be interesting. I loved science fiction and fantasy primarily because you got to explore new situations where the givens of your own life weren't given at all, and it bothered me that so little worldbuilding and character development for the people you met was offered in the story. It made the story seem gimmicky, focused entirely on "you get to pick ...more
Julie Decker
You're a deep-sea diver and you're given a unique opportunity to go exploring in an undiscovered area . . . but could it be you're going to get a chance to find out whether Atlantis is mythology or reality?

Science fiction is pretty awesome partly because you're not you and reality isn't reality. You get to accept new givens and move on from there to enjoy the what-ifs. So what troubled me most about this story--even in all its multiple possibilities--was that all the paths led to poorly conceive
Betsy
Sep 14, 2007 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: free thinkers!
This series allows the reader to do something he or she may never in his/her own life be able to do...and choose his or her OWN adventure! Plus it is about the sea, which is totally rad! Don't settle for the outcome thrust upon you by society! Choose your OWN adventure man!

I am currently trying to locate the publishers of "The Bible" (see my review of this book) and see if I could perhaps spearhead a project to convert it into a choose your own adventure book!
Hellread
Jan 24, 2015 Hellread rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Samantha Penrose
May 19, 2010 Samantha Penrose rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
I read this with my seven year old and was disappointed.
I remember choose your-own-adventure books to be exciting and fun; something that you could read again and again... this one, however, seemed to push the message that "curiosity killed the cat." All of the exciting options ended with our demise!
Jamie
May 03, 2010 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first CYOA book I ever read. I read it in 4th grade, and was hooked on CYOAs. I remember being blown away by the concept of a book told in the 2nd-person.

I cannot wait to introduce my own kids to these wonderful books.
Arthur Graham
Dec 11, 2013 Arthur Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just thinking of this book is giving me the bends again...
Holden Attradies
This one was pretty good. I would rate it in quality towards the top of the choose your own adventure books, maybe not the VERY top, but the upper middle.

The story was quick paced enough and constantly engaging enough to have me and my 6 year old coming back until we had reached almost all the endings. I would say that there were perhaps too many endings, or maybe they were just spaced weirdly. They were very story arc ending heavy, so to get to most of them you had to re-read the first 3-10 pa
David Sarkies
Jul 09, 2015 David Sarkies rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gamebook
The Quest for Atlantis
17 June 2012

I got this book at the same time that I got the first book in the series and as I mentioned before I was thrilled that my parents gave me these as a Christmas present as I have never heard of them before and the idea of having a book where you got to chose how the adventure unfolded was wonderful, especially as I was kid who was bored at the real lack of adventure games on the market. Then again, this was back in the days where only a few people had a games con
Dolly
Apr 29, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children who enjoy choose-your-own adventure books
Our oldest has been bringing home various You Choose books from her elementary school library. And now at our local library we've discovered some of the books from the original Choose Your Own Adventure series that I read when I was a child. I remember loving books like this in my childhood and I am excited that our girls are discovering them as well.

This book focuses on an undersea scientific exploration to find the lost city of Atlantis. Many of the paths took us on a sci-fi journey that we co
Monica
UNO DE LOS PEORES LIBROS DEL GRAN R.A. MONTGOMERY ( SIN SER MALO, OJO). Un Montgomery excesivo en soluciones ( 42, nada menos), demasiado arbitrario en sus finales (parece un homenaje a Packard), y con una trama principal algo insustancial para tratarse de éste autor, conocido por su laboriosidad, buen hacer y trabajo documental previo a la redacción de cada tomo de la serie.
SIN MÁS, PASABLE.
Matthew Sustaita
Apr 15, 2016 Matthew Sustaita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was good it had many twists and turns. It never got boring it had lots of good parts to the book. Sometimes the book would lead to the same endings, but make you take a different path. It was great at making you think about every decision as they were your last. It got to parts tha made adrenaline pump through your body as you try to escape danger.
Rizqia Sadida
Jan 02, 2016 Rizqia Sadida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ini jadul banget, bacanya juga pas SD pinjam teman.
Seru. Alurnya banyak dan pembaca yang menentukan sendiri.
Meski yang ini seingetku banyak ending tragis. Masih inget dulu sempat dapat ending hidup di dasar laut selamanya, atau dia berubah menjadi sesuatu yang bukan manusia hahaha ._.
Ada dua belas judul dan cuma pernah baca yang ini. Nostalgic !
Nathan Burgoine
May 28, 2015 Nathan Burgoine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read these when I was nine/ten years old, voraciously devouring them and re-reading them over and over. My grade five teacher saw how much I loved them, and brought a "how-to" book to give to me, and I remember writing one of my own. It was probably terrible. Still, these books were one of my gateway books to reading non-stop for most of my childhood.
Lori
Jul 20, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was took a journey back to my childhood recently when my soon-to-be 4th grader picked out some Choose Your Own Adventure books at the library! Do you remember these books? They are the coolest. And any book that is water related in the summer is always a winner!
Astrid Lim
Quite entertaining although the endings are not as creative and diverse as the first book. Either you will end up happily in Atlantis, or you will die in one or more gruesome ways :D But I still enjoyed the book. The nostalgic feeling can lift up my mood!
Mark Austin
- Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
- Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
- Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
- Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
- Amazing.
nov
Jul 26, 2009 nov rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
udah lama punya buku ini. waktu kecil di beliin papa di lapak2 buku bekas bareng setumpuk buku2 bekas lainnya. dulu papa kl pulang kerja emang hobi nyariin anaknya yang satu ini buku2 bekas di lapak2 pinggir jalan daerah jatinegara. tujuan awalnya sih biar hemat krn buku baru mahal. hehehe. tapi sekarang si papa agak tega soalnya anaknya gak pernah dibeliin buku2 bekas lagi alhasil uang bulanan cepet abis buat beli sendiri :p

yang menarik dari buku ini karena buku ini gak cuma terdiri dari satu t
Jaguar
Jul 29, 2015 Jaguar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in second person, "Journey Under the Sea" (Choose Your Own Adventure #2) by Edward Packard is a great book for children who love creativity and imagination. This book is not written to be read straight through, but there are many different journeys kids can take, and MANY different endings. Will you survive?

2015-Summer-Reading-Review
Sam
a cant let down book!
jaman waktu kecil dlu, buku ini menemani ke mana-mana, ceritanya mang pendek-pendek itu yg jd penghalang menikmatinya the fullest... tp kita dikasi 'power' untuk menentukan mau ke mana kita berikutnya dan semua pilihan itu merujuk kita pada pada suatu hal yg akan menentukan hasil akhir yang kita terima -- kapan lg bs menentukan ending cerita?

kadang2 kalau sebel,
aq runut ulang bacaannya dari awal trus pilih hal yg berbeda dengan tadi biar tau hasil lainnya seperti apa, hihi..
Neville Ridley-smith
This is very patchy. At first I thought it was quite decent - the choices and outcomes made sense for the first bunch of options I chose. But as I further explored every possible path it became apparent that a lot of it is totally inconsistent.

In a book like this you expect there to be an underlying setting and your choices are about your approach to that setting. In this book, the people you encounter often seem to be totally different - in one path a kingdom, in another the same people are a s
Nicholas Sabella
Amazing book

Amazing
Good Book you choose you own adventure book full of choses to make think about what your about to do

Britt Freeman
Strangely darker and more claustrophobic than I remember when I read as a kid. Plus all the acid dropping, leaving the body, thought traveling stuff is way out there.
Melissa
Apr 13, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-or-teens
I vividly remember reading this in elementary school. I enjoyed the Atlantis story lines. I loved the Choose Your Own Adventure books.
Nevaeh
Mar 25, 2015 Nevaeh is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
i thought building my own adventure was pretty cool. This book was one of my favorites by this author.
Becky B
I remember this being my favorite choose your own adventure. I think I checked it out a dozen times.
Çavlan
It was more like a journey to my childhood :)
  • The Cave of Time (Choose Your Own Adventure, #1)
  • By Balloon to the Sahara (Choose Your Own Adventure, #3)
  • Inca Gold (Choose Your Own Adventure, #85)
  • Space Patrol (Choose Your Own Adventure, #22)
  • Vampire Express (Choose Your Own Adventure, #31)
  • Secret of the Pyramids (Choose Your Own Adventure, #19)
  • Mountain Of Mirrors (Endless Quest, #2)
  • Secret of the Ninja (Choose Your Own Adventure, #66)
  • The Masters of Darkness (Lone Wolf, #12)
Raymond A. Montgomery (born 1936 in Connecticut) is an author and progenitor of the Choose Your Own Adventure interactive children's book series. Montgomery graduated from Williams College and went to graduate school at Yale University and New York University (NYU). Montgomery has devoted his life to teaching and education.
More about R.A. Montgomery...

Choose Your Own Adventure (Chooseco) (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • The Abominable Snowman (Choose Your Own Adventure, #13)
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • The Lost Jewels of Nabooti (Choose Your Own Adventure, #10)
  • Mystery of the Maya (Choose Your Own Adventure, #11)
  • House of Danger (Choose Your Own Adventure, #15)
  • The Race Forever (Choose Your Own Adventure, #17)
  • Escape (Choose Your Own Adventure, #20)
  • Lost on the Amazon (Choose Your Own Adventure, #24)
  • Prisoner of the Ant People (Choose Your Own Adventure, #25)
  • Trouble on Planet Earth (Choose Your Own Adventure, #29)