Start by marking “The Abominable Snowman (Choose Your Own Adventure, #13)” as Want to Read:
The Abominable Snowman (Choose Your Own Adventure, #13)

The Abominable Snowman (Choose Your Own Adventure #13)

You and Carlos are on an expedition to the world's highest mountains in the remote kingdom of Nepal to search for the Yeti, otherwise known as the Abominable Snowman. Carlos arrives a few days early and goes missing from Everest base camp. A yeti sighting was reported nearby. Did he go after it? Or was Carlos onto the trail of something else? "I know that cry. It's the bat ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Chooseco (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Abominable Snowman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Abominable Snowman

Kelli
Sep 18, 2016 Kelli rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I may be waxing nostalgic for days after introducing my son to the magic of the Choose Your Own Adventure series. I used to stay up to all hours (it was probably seven o'clock) reading and re-reading these enigmatic stories. I distinctly remember trying to figure out how the author built the stories after once discovering I had arrived at the same ending even though I had made different choices along the way. But enough about me!

I applaud this series for introducing such a fun, unique concept. T
Peter Derk
Mar 22, 2013 Peter Derk rated it did not like it
Damn it!

I thought I might try my way through some of these books to see if I've gotten any smarter since childhood. I was an idiot then. I thought that playing Tetris on a bigscreen TV would allow me to get a much higher score, for example. I also made a homemade rocket that succeeded in ejecting its own engine and firing it across the neighborhood where it barreled into a neighbor's garage door with a resounding smack.

At this time, in addition to being bad at life decisions, I was also bad at l
Julie Decker
Jul 08, 2014 Julie Decker rated it it was ok
Oh no, your friend disappeared while you were in the mountains searching for the Yeti! Is it too dangerous to save him, or will you brave the snow and the potentially violent creature lurking out in the wilderness?

I picked this up because I was running out of Choose Your Owns that seemed at least somewhat science fiction-y. I'm not very interested in cryptozoology but I thought there might be some fun times in this. Mostly it just seemed stereotypical of the legends and supposed local culture an
Holly
Feb 13, 2015 Holly rated it liked it
I'm not sure if I actually made it through all 28 endings, but I did quite a few! I saw this originally at the library when I was looking for books for my daughter and was slapped with nostalgia, because I was completely obsessed with Choose You Own Adventure books as a kid, ESPECIALLY the Goosebumps ones. So I grabbed it as kind of a blast from the proverbial past.

I always go to my daughter's school a half hour early before it lets out, and then I sit and read while waiting for her. If you don
Nick Jones
May 11, 2015 Nick Jones rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids
This was an odd choice for the first Choose Your Own Adventure book under the Chooseco banner. For a story about hunting Yeti in the Himalayas, it's surprisingly dull. Very little of interest happens on any of the paths, despite the opportunity for experimentation due to each path being inconsistent with the others (a cardinal gamebook sin in its own right). There's no identifiable "good" ending (unless it's the one where talking yeti moralize at you about how awful the modern world is), a few ...more
Ben
Mar 13, 2012 Ben rated it liked it
Like many of the reviewers here, I was totally in love with the Choose Your Own Adventure series as a kid. I am glad that the reprint still bears that mysterious, eccentric charm of the Packard-Montgomery universe where nothing is certain and you can fall dead anytime...

I too felt that the story, like others in the series, ended way too quickly. It would be great if someone could come up with an adult version of the series, with a lot more complexity, length and a little more sophisticated prose
Alyssa
Jan 21, 2014 Alyssa rated it it was ok
Shelves: books
I thought that the book Choose your own adventure:The Abominable Snowman was an ok book. I did not think that this book was my favorite because the story that I picked did not have a very good ending. In the book my favorite character was Carlos. He was my favorite character because I personally thought that he was very funny, I also thought that he was the main character in the book. I like the series because I think that it is cool how the author lets you choose the adventure.
Michael
Sep 20, 2007 Michael rated it it was amazing
Being the first of the series, I'd say the Abominable Snowman adventure is action-packed and the characters are very thoroughly developed. While the plot takes some surprising turns,it never lets you down. In fact, my favorite ending is the one in which you make it to a Tibetain monastery where you cannot leave. There is a unicorn, the snowman, and other magical creatures.
Monica
Mar 03, 2015 Monica rated it really liked it
Otro de mis libros favoritos de la serie.
El argumento de ir en busca del Yeti y fotografiarle siempre me resultó fascinante. Quizá no es el mejor libro de Montgomery en desarrollo, pero no obstante, tiene toques muy Zen y consigue crear atmósfera. Además, para ser destinado a niños, es un libro que dota de conocimientos geográficos y de situación y cultura ( Montgomery suele hacerlo siempre).
Anna Rybicki
Dec 22, 2016 Anna Rybicki rated it liked it
Remember these? They are still fun! I read this with my kids, ages 6 and 8, and they both really liked it. It was the first Choose Your Own Adventure I've shared with them, and now they are wanting more.
Miund
Jul 16, 2007 Miund rated it it was amazing
Read all of the Choose Your Own Adventure series when I was small, and I just couldn't believe my own stupidity of NOT preserving the books. Verdict: excellent for Librans to exercise decision-making ability. Hm, wonder if my parents bought me these to do so...
Bernardo Villela
Sep 06, 2015 Bernardo Villela rated it it was amazing
I finished this one and made no mistakes. Of course, I enjoyed it!
Shelley
slcc137
Aug 06, 2008 slcc137 rated it it was amazing
This series is amazing! If you want to make your own book style, make your own paths, buy this book! I've accually never finished it, there are so many possiblities!
Taddow
Dec 25, 2016 Taddow rated it liked it
I loved Choose Your Own Adventure books while growing (I don't remember how many of the series I read but it was a lot). I have since found more complex (CYOA-style) game books to be more enjoyable (like the Lone Wolf series or those of Car Wars) but the CYOA series are still great- especially as a motivator for young kids to read.

This is the first time that I recall reading this particular book, and while I felt it was okay and was intrigued by the goal and background, I felt it was too easy t
Christine Blachford
Apr 12, 2012 Christine Blachford rated it liked it
I was very intrigued when I saw that the Choose Your Own Adventure books were available on the Kindle. Oh, how I loved these books as a child. I've still got one of my very favourites - a tatty old copy of the Sherwood Forest adventure. I have no idea that one captured my imagination above all others, but it's tucked away in a cupboard somewhere.

I couldn't see how the format would work ebook style - getting to the end of each chapter and having to skip forward to a designated page, depending on
Nathaniel Chattic
Nov 28, 2009 Nathaniel Chattic rated it really liked it
Shelves: paperback-series
Grades: 4th - 8th

The "Choose Your Own Adventure" series was around when I was a child, and I remember the appeal of starting a story and not knowing how it will end until you made your choice and flipped to the next page to find out what happened. I never was tired of reading the books over and over again because of the variety of choices, and once I exhausted the book, I went to the next one in the series. Such is the appeal that I think young readers will find with this series of paperback boo
Holden Attradies
This is the first of the current in print editions that my son and I have read together (it also happens to be book #1 in the series). I have to say, I could immediately notice how cleaned up the series i now.

Although I hadn't read an older version of this book recently (I think I had when I was little) I am pretty sure some of the writing was updated. The story flow from this was really good, the endings were pretty evenly spaced and there was a HUGE variety for what can happen in the story.

Pe
Vanellope
Actual Rating: 3.5

Question: Can a book actually be considered a Choose Your Own Adventure Book if there isn't at least one ending having to do with aliens? I think not. And the authors seem to agree.

This is much like every other CYOA book. And just like in any true CYOA book, if you read all the endings (which I did), you will get shot, eaten, or betrayed at least once. And of course, there are always those endings that get weirdly metaphysical?? Especially for a kids book?? My favorite ending
Mark Baker
Nov 15, 2015 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade, 2015
In this book, you are the star and the choices you make determine the outcome. You are a mountain climber out to capture proof that the Yeti exists. When you arrive, your friend Carlos is already in the field, but you can’t reach him by radio. What do you do? Think carefully because your choices could make your career or lead to certain doom.

I read some of these as a kid and enjoyed them, and it was fun to revisit the series with this book. The story is fun, although some of the choices get pret
Swankivy
Jun 11, 2013 Swankivy rated it it was ok
I think I settled for reading this Choose Your Own Adventure book because it promised to be at least vaguely science fiction-related, being that it was about a mysterious creature and I expected to get to see it in my travels. This was another book where the endings were just sort of weird, and there were some strange stereotypes (you know, because if you're in Tibet, of course you're going to end up dealing with monks!). I don't mean that the endings were weird in a good way; they were just sor ...more
Racheal
Dec 22, 2014 Racheal rated it really liked it
I used to love these books as a kid. Now that they have rebooted the series and are re-publishing them, I have started my collection anew. I regret ever getting rid of my old copies (though they were quite tattered).

This book had all the elements of Choose Your Own Adventure I love. A few happy endings scattered amidst a triage of disappointment, death, and dismemberment. A little creepy at times and outlandishly hilarious at others, it was the perfect mix.

I actually sat down and devoured the
Louis Vigo
Feb 06, 2011 Louis Vigo rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. It was a great break from some of the heavier reading I usually do. I read it on my Kindle so I'm not sure how much of it I actually read, but I read dozens or endings... each one amusing and fun. I had originally read most of this series when I was a tween, when Dungeons and Dragons was first getting around, and games like Zork were published. It was a great time in "interactive fiction" and there were many creative ideas flurishing at the time.

The Kindle added a good twis
Phil
Sep 26, 2013 Phil rated it liked it
When can you say that you've finished reading a Choose Your Own Adventure book? Is it enough to see one plot arc through to its conclusion, or do you have to go back and read each permutation of the story to check the book off of your list?

Honestly, that's beside the point. I read this book (or at least part of it) for fun and nostalgia. Mission accomplished! I'd now say the stories are a little less cohesive or compelling than I remember, but I was an impressionable elementary school student th
Chelsea
The concept behind this book is awesome and I am totally impressed that the author was able to organize so many different paths and outcomes. My oldest was excited to choose the story. We tried several different choices along the way but every time we were left with a rather boring ending. One ending left us scratching our heads and wondering if we had turned to the wrong page because it really didn't make much sense. I'm giving the book three stars though because it did encourage my son to read ...more
Matthew Sustaita
Apr 13, 2016 Matthew Sustaita rated it really liked it
The Abominable Snowman was a great book. It has many good parts that keep you locked in. I never got bored with all of the decisions I had to make. Every decision you make impacts your ending which can lead to many fun awesome path! I literally read this book 28 times, and every time I ended up with a different ending! I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read this, and trust me you will never get bored with this book!
Joanna
When I found this book in the library, I was instantly returned to elementary school and all the fun times I had reading these books and also discussing with my classmates all the different adventures you could take in each one. Today while I was reading and reliving those good times, I did not want to put the book down. I kept wondering what else I was missing and could find. 5 stars for just fun times and good reads. :)
Rachel
Jan 11, 2017 Rachel rated it liked it
Wow...I have not read these since I was little! My little man has made me read it with him for the last two weeks. We never survive, but on try number 34 (or so) we were finally taken by the Yetis and hidden in a cave. But then they let us go. But if the point was to see the Yeti, we did finally find them. It was a fun read with him, and I do like the different paths that you can take. 3.5 stars from Roan and I.
Brainell
Aug 12, 2010 Brainell rated it liked it
the book was cool because it was aproppiate for me and my likes the term "Choose Your Own Adventure" is good for many books like some kind of "Harry Potter" books because with all those dragons and dungeons the adveture its just right for it.

you and your friend carlos are looking for a certain yeti or monster but carlos decides to go search alone and he gets lost. What do you think ,you go look for him,you wait or you look for the monster by your self.
MadMaxx
Jul 31, 2015 MadMaxx rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
These books are so friggin cool. I read these when I was a kid, you get to chose the way this story goes. How cool is that shit, you get to choose the way the story goes, so you get like two maybe three stories but all of them are still the same story. How cool is that. I'm gonna have to rack my brain to think of the others of these "Choose your own adventure" books. You get more than one story in one, come on, that's cool stuff.
Upper Elementary ...: The Abominable Snowman 1 3 Jul 14, 2014 11:54AM
  • Who Killed Harlowe Thrombey? (Choose Your Own Adventure, #9)
  • By Balloon to the Sahara (Choose Your Own Adventure, #3)
  • Secret of the Pyramids (Choose Your Own Adventure, #19)
  • Space Patrol (Choose Your Own Adventure, #22)
  • Vampire Express (Choose Your Own Adventure, #31)
  • Inca Gold (Choose Your Own Adventure, #85)
  • Secret of the Ninja (Choose Your Own Adventure, #66)
  • Mountain Of Mirrors (Endless Quest, #2)
  • The Magic of the Unicorn (Choose Your Own Adventure, #51)
  • Terror on the Titanic (Choose Your Own Adventure, #169)
Raymond A. Montgomery (born 1936 in Connecticut) was an author and progenitor of the classic Choose Your Own Adventure interactive children's book series, which ran from 1979 to 2003. Montgomery graduated from Williams College and went to graduate school at Yale University and New York University (NYU). He devoted his life to teaching and education.

In 2004, he co-founded the Chooseco publishing co
More about R.A. Montgomery...

Choose Your Own Adventure (1 - 10 of 185 books)
  • The Cave of Time (Choose Your Own Adventure, #1)
  • Journey Under the Sea (Choose Your Own Adventure, #2)
  • By Balloon to the Sahara (Choose Your Own Adventure, #3)
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • The Mystery Of Chimney Rock (Choose Your Own Adventure, #5)
  • Your Code Name Is Jonah (Choose Your Own Adventure #6)
  • The Third Planet from Altair (Choose Your Own Adventure, #7)
  • Deadwood City (Choose Your Own Adventure, #8)
  • Who Killed Harlowe Thrombey? (Choose Your Own Adventure, #9)
  • The Lost Jewels of Nabooti (Choose Your Own Adventure, #10)