Start by marking “Surviving Suicide” as Want to Read:
Surviving Suicide

Surviving Suicide

As a result of the positive feedback of “please don’t kill yourself”, Akana published the book “Surviving Suicide” in 2013. It consisted of her old diary entries from 2007-2009 in efforts to show the aftermath of suicide. She provides a free online link but all proceeds will go towards suicide prevention programs. Her intent behind the book is to remind people like her ...more
Published 2013

To ask other readers questions about Surviving Suicide, please sign up.

Rudeonion Im not a survivor but the book left a huge impression on me. I dont know, if I can recommend it, because it literally hurts because of the sadness.…moreIm not a survivor but the book left a huge impression on me. I don´t know, if I can recommend it, because it literally hurts because of the sadness. But you asked 38 days ago, so if you already read it, im here to talk :)(less)

Bethan
Jan 08, 2016 Bethan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shelved
You can read this online here: ((https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0SH-...)). Or you can buy the book. All proceeds go towards youth suicide prevention programs. I would recommend watching this video by Anna Akana (/watch?v=zvkbHIrrrvU) before you read Surviving Suicide.
Now, you've probably watched one of Anna Akana's youtube videos before or have at least heard her name before. She is a youtube star and has directed and acted in her movie, Riley Rewind. Surviving Suicide is a collection of dia
Akanksha
Mar 08, 2015 Akanksha rated it it was amazing
Anna Akana is one of my favourite youtubers and when I heard that she had written a book I knew I had to read it. Considering it's free and only 66 pages I freed about a half hour in my weekend and just read. The book was beautifully written and the way it flowed didn't make it seem like real diary entities, but an actual fictional book. It's honest and the emotions feel so relatable. The aspect of Anna and her sister (Anna being older by 4 years) is very similar to the age difference between me ...more
Daniel
Nov 06, 2014 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Anna Akana writes directly from her heart to the paper. Reading all the diary entries compiled in this edition has been deeply touching. No true story (specially of this kind) can be rated less than five stars. I wish Anna the best in her life. Rest in peace, Kristina.
Jul 23, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I ALMOST CRIED
michelle pham
Dec 28, 2015 michelle pham rated it it was amazing
This was beautiful.
This was eye-opening.
This book showed that you don't need grammar and eloquence and wordiness to get the point across.
This book showed that you don't need 300 or 500 pages of nonsense to be fucking amazing.

Anna filled each and every one of these pages with pure and raw emotion. I applaud her for coming out of her sorrow to try to make a difference from what has happened to her rather than sitting in grievance and frustration at the world. She's really decided to change her lif
Harrison
Jul 09, 2016 Harrison rated it it was ok
Shelves: misc-non-fiction
It's incredibly hard to judge a book—more a story, a series of stories, than a book—like this. Its tone is incredibly adolescent. This is unsurprising. The author, Anna Akana, has made a living off the internet; she has immersed herself in it. The internet is an incredibly adolescent place. The osmosis is not a shock. But more than that, this book is made up of diary entries from her (according to my math) 18 year-old self. I don't—can't—expect profundity, innovation from someone so young. To ...more
Paula
Aug 16, 2014 Paula rated it it was amazing
I honestly have never been a huge fan of Anna Akana on YouTube. I ran into this collection of journal entries completely randomly. Now that I've read this book, I think I'll be paying a lot more attention to her videos now. This book was fantastic. I really felt as if I were reading my own musings and reflections on life, even though I've never had a death in my family before. I could feel her pain as if it were my own, and I could feel the darkness inside of her for those years of depression ...more
Aditi
Mar 11, 2015 Aditi rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this short story. I wouldn't call it a book but it's more a life changing recount that makes you see the world in a different and more mature light. It helps you understand people and the thoughts they go through and the struggles they face. All we see is a body, not what's behind it. I cried in the first couple pages because the book hits you hard. I wonder how his story would have been different if other perspectives were shown?
Miranda
Jul 13, 2016 Miranda rated it really liked it
Very real.
Sigrid Fry-Revere
Oct 05, 2016 Sigrid Fry-Revere rated it really liked it
Thank you to the book club friends who sent me this book. I had mixed feeling about reading it, but it is chocked full of experiences I could relate to and even some laughs.
Disa
Sep 24, 2016 Disa rated it it was amazing
How could I bawl my eyes out for 40 minutes while reading e-book on my phone? I don't understand. Kristina would have been 23 years today. As old as me. She killed herself nearly 10 years ago, almost the same time I started having suicide thoughts. I remember thinking to myself back then,"if I die, my nephew/nieces wouldn't be bestfriends with my kids."
I remember my parents. I remember my siblings. I remember God. I remember how they keep alive until now.
I read this book while thinking everyon
Kaye Fiona
Sep 30, 2016 Kaye Fiona rated it it was amazing
I cried when I read this... and I tend not to have human emotions (so that says a lot). Full stop.
Rudeonion
Sep 06, 2016 Rudeonion rated it it was amazing
So, the rating is nothing to talk about, except there is a possibility to add a 6th star :)
Anna hat to read her diary of that time, type it and publish it. It was not easy for sure.
I rather want to tell you, what a feels trip I had with this book. I have a huge depression problem and the thought of suicide is quite familiar for me. Im fighting it, however, with therapy and medication and Im doing good.
I got on Annas youtube channel, because someone claimed to have a leaked sex tape of her and I
Edric Edric
Oct 22, 2014 Edric Edric rated it it was amazing
I stumbled into Anna's youtube channel from some Wongfu videos and boy she has my absolute admiration ever since. Being a girl, asian (and short), she has accomplished so much. Getting a glimpse to her past just doubles my respect to her. The writing is so raw and real I was steeped into her 17 year old self and rode the roller coster of emotions with her. She came across as witty, funny and strong from all her videos, but I never knew that she went through so much pain in her past. For better ...more
Zachary Kurzenberger
Dec 18, 2013 Zachary Kurzenberger rated it it was amazing
I'm amazed. This book is stunning. It's not really a book, but a compilation of diary entries from the author after her sister committed suicide. The author, Anna Akana, writes about her feelings and experiences as they are all affected by the tragedy that is her taking her own life at the age of only 13. Her recollections, all insightful and descriptive, are completely eye opening. She tries so hard to make sense of what happened, asking questions like "what possible good could have come from ...more
Emily Gamez
Sep 15, 2015 Emily Gamez rated it it was amazing
Anna is one of my favorite YouTubers. I just found this short compilation of her diary entries about her coping with her sister's suicide. (You can buy it and all proceeds go toward suicide prevention(https://gumroad.com/l/MuJu), or you can read it for free as a PDF file (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0SH...).
It made me tear up because of how relatable some of the things she wrote about how emotional death is for survivors were. She has come so far from where these entries start out in 2007
Lauren Wang
Jul 17, 2014 Lauren Wang rated it it was amazing
Reading this really made me think about my own life, her profound thoughts about living through struggles can really inspire us to live up to every moments of our lives, and start now.

"If I died today would I honestly be able to let go of this life without regret? Hell no. So it's about time to live accordingly. Stop being such a depressed asshole, Anna. It's been two years. It's about time you start to turn this experience into something positive, learn something from it. You can't change the
Michael Ngo
Feb 08, 2016 Michael Ngo rated it it was amazing
"Surviving Suicide" is diary entries from Anna's diary after her sister commit suicide. In it she shows her raw emotions and some poems to express how it made her feel. She talks about how lonely she was, how angry she was, and how triggering things were. She also talks about how she started losing faith in God, how she started to fall in love with books, and how she got some of her cats - all of which have roots from the death of her sister.

It feels a bit intrusive of me to read someone whom I
Cindy
Jan 08, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing
After watching Anna's YouTube videos -- which are really funny and insightful and uplifting -- I had to read this book. I mean, it's obvious that her sister's suicide changed her life, and this book is so painfully honest and real that it hurts. Little things, such as typos or grammatical errors, make it hurt even more, because I'm pretty sure that they were directly transcribed from what she wrote that day, no edits, no touch ups, no nothing. I cannot even imagine the pain she went through (tho ...more
Kayleigh Hunter
Jan 16, 2016 Kayleigh Hunter rated it really liked it
I found it very sad, but the honesty of the story and the person it's in connection to is what drew me to in the first place, I want to say I liked it a lot, but how when it's something sad and true, so instead I want to say that it touched me, I felt the loss and confusion, I felt the pain and I hope that other people who read this will be able to relate to it, and know that their not alone...

Well done Anna Akana for sharing your story, it was heart breaking and relatable, and I'm glad that eve
Syafiqah Rashid
Jun 09, 2014 Syafiqah Rashid rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
As a person that went through a similar case, I must say this compilation of Anna's diaries did reflect of my past. I feel like I am reading my own diary, for god's sake!

As one of her devoted fans, I feel like this one close to my heart the most and somehow,I feel closer to Anna herself. The connection to her diaries' compilation makes me realize that she learn a lot throughout her past and now, she manages survived from the horrific incident of her life. Just like how I do these past of years.
Stephanie
'Surviving Suicide' is a collection of journal entries following the suicide of Akana's 13-year-old sister in 2007. It details her spiralling thoughts after the event and her efforts to cope with her loss.

It's tough to read, but the feelings will be familiar to anyone who's lost someone close to them. Short, at 66 pages, but hard-hitting. It's a beautiful piece of writing.

RIP Kristina Akana.
Sohvi
Dec 10, 2015 Sohvi added it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
I feel like it's a bit wrong to rate this kind of a book. It might not be literacy at it's best, but I don't think that's even the function or the idea of this story.

If you are surviving a suicide of a loved one, you might find some solace in reading how others have coped. Also, I think it is great how Akana breaks the silence on many difficult subjects like suicide and substance abuse.
Scott Weatherby
Mar 04, 2015 Scott Weatherby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, biography
I chose to get this book for free, but it's so good that It's worth the $5, and she donates the money to suicide prevention.

I discovered Anna through youtube, and that's how I discovered this book. I'm really glad I wrote it, and she is a great writer. If you're a survivor of suicide, you need to read this; it's recommended.
Awesome
Oct 15, 2016 Awesome rated it it was amazing
An incredibly touching and hard-hitting book. It was rough to read at parts but a very important topic. This book gave clear, raw insight to a situation that is a nightmare to so many people. I recommend it to everybody because it really leaves an impact.
Taniplea
Aug 06, 2016 Taniplea rated it really liked it
First of all: She is such a good writer. This felt like professional, poetic writing, not like real diary entries.
And this might be why it all felt so unreal at times. I can't imagine how unreal and unfair it must feel to her, losing her sister.
Kayley Loo
Sep 17, 2015 Kayley Loo rated it it was amazing
This. Book.
It puts you into so much perspective and how much hardship it is to cope when you lose somebody close to you. Especially if that person made the decision.
Anna is so strong and her puts so much of herself into her writing. Writing this would be hard on anyone. RECOMMEND FOR LIFE.
Belu
Jan 05, 2015 Belu rated it really liked it
It was incredible that she had the strength to put this out there to help others. She writes and describes her feelings and emotional state with such clarity, heart and honesty. Her constant doubts about god are really relatable to me. Thank you for this, Anna.
Erin Sweeney
Jan 12, 2015 Erin Sweeney rated it it was amazing
Moved me into a world of tears and understanding. This has made me feel so beautifully depressed, and so much more in love with Anna.
Nele
Apr 19, 2015 Nele rated it really liked it
Very nice and touching. I love Anna as a youtuber and this made me appreciate her even more as a person.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Racist's Guide to the People of South Africa
  • Die staat teen Anna Bruwer
  • Byleveld: Dossier of a Serial Sleuth (Kindle Edition)
  • Faith Like Potatoes: The Story of a Farmer Who Risked Everything for God
  • Symphony
  • The Libertines Bound Together: The Definitive Story of Peter Doherty and Carl Barat and How They Changed British Music
  • What Are You Waiting For?: The One Thing No One Ever Tells You About Sex
  • Stop Acting Like A Christian, Just Be One
  • Thrive: Digging Deep, Reaching Out
  • Don't Waste Your Life Study Guide
  • Miracles Are for Real: What Happens When Heaven Touches Earth
  • Stuck in Place: Urban Neighborhoods and the End of Progress toward Racial Equality
  • The Wet Engine: Exploring Mad Wild Miracle of Heart
  • Part Asian, 100% Hapa
  • Moerbeibos
  • Embracing Obscurity: Becoming Nothing in Light of God’s Everything
  • Pet Sounds
  • I Have Life: Raped, Stabbed & Left for Dead

“They say that God doesn't give you more than you can handle.
Tell that to her.”