The Cave of Time (Choose Your Own Adventure, #1)

The Cave of Time (Choose Your Own Adventure #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  719 ratings  ·  68 reviews
"You're The Star! 40 Thrilling Endings!"
"Will You Become Trapped In Time" ?
You are hiking in Snake Canyon when you find yourself lost in the strange, dimly lit Cave of Time. Gradually you can make out two passageways. One curves downward to the right; the other leads upward to the left. It occurs to you that the one leading down may go to the past and the one leading up...more
Published August 1st 1982 by Skylark Books (first published January 1st 1979)

Jason Koivu
Struck with a touch of insomnia (I'm finally building my deck tomorrow and oddly it feels like Christmas!) I thought, what better time to read the classic first volume of the Choose Your Own Adventure series?

In The Cave of Time you are a kid, apparently with no name, on a hike. You come upon a cave you've never seen before. You venture inside and when you emerge shortly after it is a completely different time, and thus begins the adventure.

The pictures, by stalwart CYOA illustrator Paul Granger...more
George
You might think, "oh, a time traveling cave, how could this possibly end badly?" well brother, are you wrong! it can end badly in so, so many ways. Like with aliens! or dinosaurs! Time travel is tricky.
Swankivy
This wasn't the first Choose Your Own Adventure book I read, but as soon as I discovered that this was a series, I wanted to go back to the beginning and read them in order (even though they are not in any way dependent on reading sequentially since they are independent adventures). In this book, you as the protagonist get to choose whether you go left or right in a mysterious cave, and one of the forks leads to the past and the other one leads to the future. Of course as a science fiction nerd...more
Julie Sondra Decker
In this introduction to the Choose Your Own Adventure series, you get to enter a cave and choose left or right . . . and your choice will determine whether you are sent to the future or the past!

I liked the idea of these books but the excitement became deflated pretty quickly because the premise is that the character is "you"--but it really isn't you at all. Almost all of these stories (including this first one) assign you family/friend relationships, interests, and past experiences you probably...more
James Vachowski
This is another series of “oldies-but-goodies” from my own childhood! The Choose Your Own Adventure books feature awesome stories, and they’re written in a way that places the reader in the middle of the action like no other book could. There are over fifty books in the original series, and I guarantee that any child of the 1980s has read at least one of them. After a huge demand from readers, the series was continued in the 1990s and over a hundred new books were released over the next twenty y...more
Alex
When you find these books in your mom's attic, do not reread them. They're not as good as you remember.
Michael
Jul 08, 2010 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young people, adventurers, daydreamers
Recommended to Michael by: Seth Klein
This was the first of the original "choose your own adventure" books, and I read it not long after it came out. It was an idea whose time had come (role playing games were becoming established as well) - that the reader of the book could become the protagonist and affect the outcome through the choices they made. The books were wildly popular, especially among the target age group (though older folks read them also), and the format has been used and modified many times since. Today, it probably...more
David Sarkies
The first gamebook of its kind
17 July 2012

This was the first of a new genre of book, namely the game book, though it came out under the title 'Choose Your Own Adventure'. I remember getting this book and the next book in the series for Christmas one year, and I was pretty much all over them, especially since I loved the adventure games that I had on my dad's computer (this was back in the early 80s). The period in which is was released saw a change in the way that games were being played in tha...more
Neville Ridley-smith
First of all, here are some maps:

As gamebooks go, this really only deserves 3 stars. BUT it *was* the first (well, not quite, but anyway...) and that has to count for something.

This was hugely ambitious - there are so many possibilities that Packard was only able to give a cursory amount of choices to each location, most ending very abruptly. In essence, much of it is completel...more
♥ Sarah ♥
After reading the new Lose Your Own Adventure adult parody, Who Killed John F. Kennedy?, it gave me the itch to read some of the classic CYOA books again.

Fun book but I felt like my journey kept getting abruptly cut short! I tried six different scenarios and none of them led to enough adventure for me. lol Of course, there's 36 more possibilities packed into the tiny-looking book that I didn't try, but that was my experience this time.

I'm glad to be jumping back into these. Of course, I'm sure I...more
Monica
I read this with my 3rd grader last night and had to follow-up with memories of my 3rd grade. (He begs daily for stories from my childhood.) The best days of 3rd grade were when Mrs. Gray was absent and our substitute teacher, Mrs. Brenner, would spend half the day reading Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books to our class.
Weathervane
First in the series, and a decent book. Unfortunately, it suffers from too-many-endings syndrome, an ailment a lot of the early books had. There simply aren't enough pages for the author to flesh out very compelling storylines. On the other hand, these books have a larger variety of events to take part in. It all comes down to what you prefer. Personally, I find the 20 endings standard found in the Give Yourself Goosebumps series to be the best compromise between choice and plot.

The quality of w...more
J. Aleksandr Wootton
Weren't Choose Your Own Adventures great?

But there weren't really books, were they. More like collections of non-linear vignettes.
Josiah
This was the first Choose Your Own Adventure story to be published in the series, and I love it as much now as I did when I first had it read to me. The tone and storyline are well done, and carry along as expertly as any other gamebook that I have read. It is a treat to read through this book again and again, and the fact that it contains more decisions than most of the other Choose Your Own Adventure books increases its readability very nicely. This is an excellent, highly original story.
Ebookwormy
Okay, I was reading another review and post list and these books were mentioned. I know i'm taking a trip down memory lane of Jr. High reading with "Sweet Valley High", "Nancy Drew" and now these. These were great! I devoured them. In the end, Mom wouldn't buy the bizillion set (probably not a bad idea), but I checked them all out from the library. I remember reading it through the first time, then again with different choices and finally from cover to cover to catch it all. Brilliant!
Valerie
I LOVED these books when I was about ten, and I read every one that I could get my hands on. I remember being so excited to read them when I got a "fresh" one - I'd be so cautious in my choices, hoping to make it through to a successful ending. I'd also re-read them, going back and picking every single possible option until I'd read all the adventures.

I see that they've started to publish new ones again. I can't wait for my daughter to be old enough to read them, too.
Tom
This book blew my mind as a kid -- fantasy! science fiction! what-if! -- and was a major influence on my love of reading, interest in science, and all things cool. I still have my original edition from 1979 and recently picked up a few others at a used bookstore. Great juvenile literature.
Mellodi Parks
I remember these as a kid but, it's great to relive them a bit and to start from the beginning, of course!

So many great and not so great possibilities on the stories that you'll almost never get bored and always want to read every possible outcome.

If you've never read a single on of these books, pick one up in any order. You will have a blast reading it to kids and letting them decide what happens as well.

Give it a read!
Maggie
This book is really good. It has a bunch of different endings for you to choose from. Some of them are sad and some of them end happy. You have to be careful which ending you pick so you don't end up in a monsters mouth or in cave man time! But if you are careful, you might end up at home, safe and sound. I'm really excited to read another Choose Your Own Adventure book.
Zacaro Caro
Wow, I was all over these books, there was always some element of mystery and suspense, but no matter how many times you retread the book you never felt quite like you read the whole story. They were always a little generic to appeal to the lowest common denominator of young reader.

But what a great new genre of a game book. So glad I had these books in my childhood.
Idle Hippo
dulu waktu kecil gak terlalu cocok baca buku ginian, gak tau kenapa. males aja loncat-loncat bacanya. jadi dulu bacanya maen hantam saja alias ngurut dari halaman 1, 2, 3 dst tanpa peduli dengan pilihan yang diberikan pengarangnya

bodo amat! buku buku gw, suka2 gw dong bacanya *dulu mikirnya gitu*
sekarang malah jadi penasaran gimana rasanya baca buku model kek ginian :D
Ricardo Chévere
I read this as a child, and it forever changed my perception of books. While for today's kids, Harry Potter was their inspiration to read, mine was The Cave of Time. A "choose-your-own-adventure" book that had me going back, re-reading pages and sections many times, so I could recapture the storyline and dive myself into a new adventure.
I don't recall which of the Choose Your Own Adventure books I read. They were so different when they first appeared but the novelty soon wore off for me. No matter! It was fun while it lasted. (Except for the fact that I always seemed to choose the option that ended the story abruptly after only two chapters.)
mlady_rebecca
From what I can see, based on the covers, I read most of the first 42 books in the "Choose Your Own Adventure" series, originally published between 1979 and 1985. That's using this series numbering. (At least as of this date, 06/02/2012).
Kristine Morris
I had totally forgotten about these Choose Your Own Adventure books and just read in the Globe that they are being re-released in digital form. I remember reading these in my early teens. I must of read quite a few but the only one I can recall is the first, The Cave of Time.
Justin
The 1st book I ever read...that felt like a "real book". It wasn't a cartoon book, a comic book, a joke book, or a how-to book...It was a great read, and started me off on a long and happy relationship with Choose Your Own Adventure, and all the others that came after it.
Keith
Let's face it, this was a quantum leap in pre-teen book reading back in the day. I read all the CYOA books I could get my hands on...re-reading and picking different branches along the way. They probably look flimsy now, but at the time, they kicked all kinds of ass!
Aubri
Sep 15, 2010 Aubri marked it as to-read
Shelves: mystery
This book looks really good. I asked my mom and said,''What mystery have you read.'' and she said I read a series of choose your own adventure and I looked it up and i found it and i read what it is about. It sounded really good to me. I hope this is a good book!
Jeffrey Wood
I read these in elementary school. I've lost count of how many I actually read in the series. Pretty interesting concept although I typically checked out all of my possibilities before deciding on a course of action. As a 10 year old, I left little to chance.
Marts  (Thinker)
What is fun about these books is that the reader actually becomes the story's central character so you get to make decisions and create an adventure. You can end up reading one story in many different ways.

This was the first in the choose your own adventure series.
Choose Your Own Adventure for adults? 2 3 Aug 13, 2013 11:57AM
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • By Balloon to the Sahara (Choose Your Own Adventure, #3)
  • Dungeon of Dread (Endless Quest, #1)
  • The Kingdoms of Terror (Lone Wolf, #6)
  • Forest of Doom (Fighting Fantasy, #3)
  • The Shamutanti Hills (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #1)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)
  • Simon's Cat in Kitten Chaos
Edward Packard attended and graduated from both Princeton University and Columbia Law School. He was one of the first authors to explore the idea of gamebooks, in which the reader is inserted as the main character and makes choices about the direction the story will go at designated places in the text.

The first such book that Edward Packard wrote in the Choose Your Own Adventure series was titled...more
More about Edward Packard...
The Mystery Of Chimney Rock (Choose Your Own Adventure, #5) Your Code Name Is Jonah (Choose Your Own Adventure #6) Deadwood City (Choose Your Own Adventure, #8) The Forbidden Castle (Choose Your Own Adventure, #14) Inside UFO 54-40 (Choose Your Own Adventure, #12)