Start by marking “The Cave of Time (Choose Your Own Adventure, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cave of Time (Choose Your Own Adventure, #1)

The Cave of Time (Choose Your Own Adventure #1)

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  1,038 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
"You're The Star! 40 Thrilling Endings!"
"Will You Become Trapped In Time" ?
You are hiking in Snake Canyon when you find yourself lost in the strange, dimly lit Cave of Time. Gradually you can make out two passageways. One curves downward to the right; the other leads upward to the left. It occurs to you that the one leading down may go to the past and the one leading up
Published August 1st 1982 by Skylark Books (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Cave of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cave of Time

Jason Koivu
Struck with a touch of insomnia (I'm finally building my deck tomorrow and oddly it feels like Christmas!) I thought, what better time to read the classic first volume of the Choose Your Own Adventure series?

In The Cave of Time you are a kid, apparently with no name, on a hike. You come upon a cave you've never seen before. You venture inside and when you emerge shortly after it is a completely different time, and thus begins the adventure.

The pictures, by stalwart CYOA illustrator Paul Granger
aPriL does feral sometimes
Amazingly fun and hilarious! I recommend this series not only to the age group they are meant, 9-12 years old, but I find them laugh out loud funny to read in my mid-60's. The illustrations are wonderful, and the 40 or so endings are so cutely done, I didn't mind flipping about the books in the series and finding out, depending on the choices I made at the many opportunities given every two pages or so, how I died this time or if I won or got lost or how I killed my friends or the bad guys!

George
Jan 28, 2008 George rated it really liked it
You might think, "oh, a time traveling cave, how could this possibly end badly?" well brother, are you wrong! it can end badly in so, so many ways. Like with aliens! or dinosaurs! Time travel is tricky.
Astrid Lim
Choose my own adventures is one of my most favorite series ever!!! The adventures, the mysteries, the thrills of choosing something wrong, the uncertainties and possibilities.. I love them all. Lorong Waktu is the first of the series, I've read the translation version and the old school vibe made this book more memorable - i feel sentimental when reading it :) I hope Gramedia will republish this series. I will definitely collect them again and will pass them down to my kid!!
Swankivy
Jun 11, 2013 Swankivy rated it liked it
This wasn't the first Choose Your Own Adventure book I read, but as soon as I discovered that this was a series, I wanted to go back to the beginning and read them in order (even though they are not in any way dependent on reading sequentially since they are independent adventures). In this book, you as the protagonist get to choose whether you go left or right in a mysterious cave, and one of the forks leads to the past and the other one leads to the future. Of course as a science fiction nerd ...more
Monica
Dec 10, 2015 Monica rated it liked it
Uno de los libros primeros libros de la series con más soluciones (40 nada menos); aunque las historias no resultan muy largas, no están mal de longitud. Es una lectura estimulante, porqué el recurso de viajar en el tiempo, pasado o futuro, siempre resulta atractiva. En ésta aventura nos encontraremos haciendo de marineros, o conociendo a reyes ( incluso a Arturo), en la prehistória o en plena contrucción de la muralla china, por ejemplo. En el apartado de viaje al futuro, está más delimitado ( ...more
Guguk
Feb 05, 2016 Guguk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kukis-gula-merah
Ini bacanya mungkin ga se-menyenangkan Rahasia Rumah Terkutuk, tapi tetap seru!

Menjelajah gua dan harus milih berbagai pilihan yang kayaknya ga berbahaya, tapi bisa membawamu ke perut monster Loch Ness atau ke masa ketika matahari padam =Σ((( つ ʖ )つ
Julie Decker
Jul 08, 2014 Julie Decker rated it liked it
In this introduction to the Choose Your Own Adventure series, you get to enter a cave and choose left or right . . . and your choice will determine whether you are sent to the future or the past!

I liked the idea of these books but the excitement became deflated pretty quickly because the premise is that the character is "you"--but it really isn't you at all. Almost all of these stories (including this first one) assign you family/friend relationships, interests, and past experiences you probably
James Vachowski
Jun 29, 2014 James Vachowski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-boys-like
This is another series of “oldies-but-goodies” from my own childhood! The Choose Your Own Adventure books feature awesome stories, and they’re written in a way that places the reader in the middle of the action like no other book could. There are over fifty books in the original series, and I guarantee that any child of the 1980s has read at least one of them. After a huge demand from readers, the series was continued in the 1990s and over a hundred new books were released over the next twenty y ...more
Shelley
Sep 15, 2016 Shelley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: decisiones
Gayle Gordon
Sep 18, 2015 Gayle Gordon rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
What fun! I used to love these books as a kid and I ran across it in a box of donations at work. Just had to read it. I went though every possible scenario. A book like this must be hard to write with all of the possible connections and choices. I'd love to see the planning diagram! I might see if I can track down more. I'm hooked all over again and I'm over 50. *Sheepish grin*
Nathan Burgoine
May 28, 2015 Nathan Burgoine rated it really liked it
I read these when I was nine/ten years old, voraciously devouring them and re-reading them over and over. My grade five teacher saw how much I loved them, and brought a "how-to" book to give to me, and I remember writing one of my own. It was probably terrible. Still, these books were one of my gateway books to reading non-stop for most of my childhood.
Tom
Jan 03, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book blew my mind as a kid -- fantasy! science fiction! what-if! -- and was a major influence on my love of reading, interest in science, and all things cool. I still have my original edition from 1979 and recently picked up a few others at a used bookstore. Great juvenile literature.
Selan
Mar 14, 2016 Selan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cyoa
Just finished reading this book and all the endings and I love love love this book. Wish we still had more gamebooks like this in print. The level of detail and description, and the sense of adventure is really great. Even though I never read it as a kid (I had other CYOA books that I borrowed from the library though) it still feels pretty nostalgic.

I also love that there isn't just one "good" ending (good implying that you get back to your own time). There's quite a few where you make it back t
Hellread
Jan 22, 2015 Hellread rated it it was ok
Perhaps this books deserves recognition for pioneering a concept, but it just isn't very good on its own.

(view spoiler)
Alex
Jun 18, 2010 Alex rated it it was amazing
When you find these books in your mom's attic, do not reread them. They're not as good as you remember.
Yani Daniele
Dec 05, 2015 Yani Daniele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Recordando mi infancia, con las historias de Elige tu propia aventura, al parecer sigo tomando tan malas decisiones como antes jajaja porque sigo errando en todo!
Sino conocen estas historias, básicamente es como dice el título tú eres quien elije que aventura vivir, no es el típico libro que lees de principio a fin hoja por hoja, aquí cada tantas hojas tienes un par de opciones, dependiendo cual elijas, salteas a tal página y así hasta llegar al final del libro, donde te pudo ir bien o donde pu
David Nichols
Dec 07, 2015 David Nichols rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I first read THE CAVE OF TIME in the fourth grade, and it and the other books in the series became some of my favorite children's stories, as well as gateways to the text-based computer games of the 1980s and to Dungeons and Dragons. Here is a review of the series, and of CAVE OF TIME, that I wrote while in junior high school:

"The CHOOSE-YOUR-OWN-ADVENTURE series contains a large number of
books on a variety of topics, from expeditions to the Amazon to Yeti hunting in the Himalayas, from voyages
Michael
Jul 08, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young people, adventurers, daydreamers
Recommended to Michael by: Seth Klein
This was the first of the original "choose your own adventure" books, and I read it not long after it came out. It was an idea whose time had come (role playing games were becoming established as well) - that the reader of the book could become the protagonist and affect the outcome through the choices they made. The books were wildly popular, especially among the target age group (though older folks read them also), and the format has been used and modified many times since. Today, it probably ...more
David Sarkies
Apr 28, 2014 David Sarkies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gamebook
The first gamebook of its kind
17 July 2012

This was the first of a new genre of book, namely the game book, though it came out under the title 'Choose Your Own Adventure'. I remember getting this book and the next book in the series for Christmas one year, and I was pretty much all over them, especially since I loved the adventure games that I had on my dad's computer (this was back in the early 80s). The period in which is was released saw a change in the way that games were being played in tha
Neville Ridley-smith
Aug 27, 2015 Neville Ridley-smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, gamebook
First of all, here are some maps:

As gamebooks go, this really only deserves 3 stars. BUT it *was* the first (well, not quite, but anyway...) and that has to count for something.

This was hugely ambitious - there are so many possibilities that Packard was only able to give a cursory amount of choices to each location, most ending very abruptly. In essence, much of it is completel
Melissa Namba
Feb 14, 2016 Melissa Namba rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, coplin
Ahh! All it took was one book to remind me why I loved and hated these books at the same time! I loved being given options, but the plot lines were stupid. I mean, we run the gamut of aliens, mammoths, cave men, future people etc., and each version I'd probably only a grand total of 1500 words max.
Weathervane
First in the series, and a decent book. Unfortunately, it suffers from too-many-endings syndrome, an ailment a lot of the early books had. There simply aren't enough pages for the author to flesh out very compelling storylines. On the other hand, these books have a larger variety of events to take part in. It all comes down to what you prefer. Personally, I find the 20 endings standard found in the Give Yourself Goosebumps series to be the best compromise between choice and plot.

The quality of w
Mark Austin
May 14, 2016 Mark Austin rated it liked it
- Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
- Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
- Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
- Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
- Amazing.
Vanellope
In just two hours, I met Abraham Lincoln, lived in colonial America, got eaten by the Loch Ness Monster, survived the Titanic, got thrown into jail by a feudal king, built the Great Wall of China, rode a mammoth, faced a dinosaur, got abducted by aliens, and joined a community of cavemen. You could say it was pretty entertaining.
Alyssa Louise
Jan 04, 2015 Alyssa Louise rated it it was amazing
I read this in my 5th grade and it was my favorite children's book of all time.
This book is absolutely crazier than you think!!
J. Aleksandr Wootton
Weren't Choose Your Own Adventures great?

But there weren't really books, were they. More like collections of non-linear vignettes.
Whitney
Sep 24, 2015 Whitney rated it really liked it
The many different time periods I could visit were incredible, but a few of the endings seemed ambiguous or lacking in detail.
Carlos Santiago Ramal
Releyendo uno de los primeros libros que leí siendo un niño, grandes recuerdos de infancia!
Paza
Aug 03, 2014 Paza rated it it was amazing
Aaaaaaaaaah, qué entrete es todo lo que diré.
Choose Your Own Adventure for adults? 2 5 Aug 13, 2013 11:57AM
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • By Balloon to the Sahara (Choose Your Own Adventure, #3)
  • Space Patrol (Choose Your Own Adventure, #22)
  • Vampire Express (Choose Your Own Adventure, #31)
  • Secret of the Pyramids (Choose Your Own Adventure, #19)
  • Secret of the Ninja (Choose Your Own Adventure, #66)
  • Inca Gold (Choose Your Own Adventure, #85)
  • Dungeon of Dread (Endless Quest, #1)
  • Search for Dinosaurs (Time Machine, #2)
  • Shadow on the Sand (Lone Wolf, #5)
Edward Packard attended and graduated from both Princeton University and Columbia Law School. He was one of the first authors to explore the idea of gamebooks, in which the reader is inserted as the main character and makes choices about the direction the story will go at designated places in the text.

The first such book that Edward Packard wrote in the Choose Your Own Adventure series was titled
More about Edward Packard...

Choose Your Own Adventure (1 - 10 of 185 books)
  • Journey Under the Sea (Choose Your Own Adventure, #2)
  • By Balloon to the Sahara (Choose Your Own Adventure, #3)
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • The Mystery Of Chimney Rock (Choose Your Own Adventure, #5)
  • Your Code Name Is Jonah (Choose Your Own Adventure #6)
  • The Third Planet from Altair (Choose Your Own Adventure, #7)
  • Deadwood City (Choose Your Own Adventure, #8)
  • Who Killed Harlowe Thrombey? (Choose Your Own Adventure, #9)
  • The Lost Jewels of Nabooti (Choose Your Own Adventure, #10)
  • Mystery of the Maya (Choose Your Own Adventure, #11)