Start by marking “Black Elk: Les Voies Sacrées D'un Sioux Lakota” as Want to Read:
Black Elk: Les Voies Sacrées D'un Sioux Lakota

Black Elk: Les Voies Sacrées D'un Sioux Lakota

"An unprecedented account of the shaman's world and the way it is entered."
Stanley Krippner, PhD, coauthor of Personal Mythology: The Psychology of Your Evolving Self and Healing State.

Black Elk opens the Lakota sacred hoop.
261 pages
Published 1995 by Éditions Le Mail (first published March 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Black Elk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Elk

Apr 20, 2009 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: native-american

Buy this for Wallace Black Elk's picture on the cover--and for everything inside. Black Elk's state is written all over his face. The man's soul comes right through this book. My spiritual teacher, who was from India, told us to study masters who could impart the experience of God, not people who wrote about people who had experience. Black Elk fits the category of those who know.
Jul 02, 2012 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
This is a wonderful book and I actually met Wallace Black Elk, what a wonderful, kind, gentle soul.
Spent time helping out the Lakota in South Dakota after suffering a terrible time when a tornado came through and people lost their homes. He is a true teacher and shaman and would love to be in another lodge with him!
Eliza Buffalo
Aug 08, 2012 Eliza Buffalo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh I just loved this man...Wallace Black Elk - not to be confused with one of his elders Nicholas Black Elk...still very much the medicine man and holy man... He is a character not to be missed. lol
Jul 07, 2016 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gem of a book, being one of those very few of the American Indian in that the narrator, an actual historical figure, Lakota shaman and warrior, is speaking from the inside of the culture in question while it was still more or less intact, living in its traditional manner, and not some anthropologist commenting and analyzing from outside of it. Black Elk was a 19th Century Lakota (Sioux) and a cousin to Crazy Horse, the Lakota war leader who gave George Armstrong Custer the worst and last day o ...more
Lee Van Ham
Having lived in Nebraska for 16 years, I visited a Black Elk monument and came to understand the great contribution made by University of Nebraska professor John Neihardt to appreciation for First Peoples. He'd given priority to a relationship with Black Elk and wrote up much of Black Elk's shamanic story in the Lakota's own words. So a book co-authored by Wallace Black Elk is a great treat to me—a treasure on my shelf.
Sep 02, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indios
Wallace Black Elk. I thought there was only one Black Elk. Come to find out, there’s Nick Black Elk, Ben Black Elk and now, Wallace. Maybe more.

A sweet, beautiful story. Kinda hard to read, because of the roundabout style but too much editing might weed something out. Requires concentration and inspiration, I guess. Couldn't finish this, too many parables.

Wallace Black Elk touches the reader on a spiritual level, addressing that what has been handed down through the generations as part of our genetic codes.
Mar 18, 2012 Jaime rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely interesting but only pick it up if you're already interested in learning more about shamanism; the text isn't conducive to making you more interested if you aren't already.
Mar 10, 2015 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book more than 3 stars... it probably deserves more than that. But I fall into the category of people Black Elk refers to as "educated". Which means I've been to school, college, etc and some of the more basic truths have probably been schooled right out of me. I did like the ideas he talks about, how we've lost a lot of basic knowledge about how we are integrated with other systems, because we feel we know so much already, and have made so much progress with science and te ...more
Sep 11, 2016 B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful sacred book, describing ways of being (and people) that are fast disappearing from this world. I do wonder though about the seeming lack of the feminine in all this and any female shamans (and their respect).
Enjoyed this short book but would have to read it several times to really understand it all. Not so sure I believe the section that spoke about UFOs. Although I have heard it said that the Anazazi depicted UFOs in their cave drawings I've yet to hear this about any other tribe in North America (it doesn't mean they don't have the teachings, just that I haven't heard about it yet). There were a few instances near the end of the book where I started to wonder how much of what was written was influ ...more
Kimberly Ann
Jan 25, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the honor & pleasure of knowing and spending time with Grandpa Wallace (not related to Nicholas). He was a great man and was willing to share his knowledge & wisdom with anyone who was willing to listen. He was funny too, but many people didn't catch his subtle sense of humor.

This book is written about his experiences in life and with Tunkashila (Creator). There are many good teachings offered in this book and for anyone interested in modern Native American spirituality this book i
Sep 06, 2008 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Amerindian spirituality.
This is one of my personal favorites. As a shaman/medicine man in training I've found this book not only extremely helpful but absolutely hysterical. The Amerindian sense of humor is absolutely invaluable to the world.
Apr 04, 2010 Michael marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I went to my first lodge yesterday and want to go deeper in reverence. Deeper into Lakota culture & history, deeper into myself and feel the heartbeat of the earth. I will never forget the beauty of this first lodge of mine.
Jan 06, 2016 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, amazing, amazing. This is an account of unimaginable realities and mysteries. Very highly recommend to anyone with an interest in indigenous spirituality and how it deepens our experience of life and nature.
Jan 23, 2014 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much is lost to so many!

The dating of the book reflects some of the contents - the concern w/ nuclear weapons was most likely the worry of the day as was it a worry in the book. Nonetheless, the importance of all of the lost culture is prominent.
Luce Cronin
Mar 19, 2016 Luce Cronin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me quite a while to read this book as it is better if you stop and reflect on just what he is saying. A very important book if you are interested in the ways of the Earth People.
Jan 26, 2016 Austin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing work for anyone who ever wanted to know the deeper truths behind shamanism and our reality!
This book is on hold for now. I had to return it to the library. I will check it out again sometime.
Nov 20, 2011 Jody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read only the preface to this book and I already have gained more understanding about the Black Elk Speaks visions.
Jan 26, 2009 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting ideas about Shamans and spirituality - Makes me want to jump into a sweat lodge and call in the gourd people. :)
Renate van der Veen
Renate van der Veen rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Sandy Roelle
Sandy Roelle rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2015
Brent rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2012
Deb rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2012
Jan rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2013
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2012
Jennifer Grote
Jennifer Grote rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2013
Gennaro Milo
Gennaro Milo rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2013
Eric Bowers
Eric Bowers rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2015
  • The Sacred Pipe: Black Elk's Account of the Seven Rites of the Oglala Sioux
  • Lame Deer, Seeker of Visions
  • 500 Nations: An Illustrated History of North American Indians
  • Where White Men Fear to Tread: The Autobiography of Russell Means
  • Native American Testimony: A Chronicle of Indian-White Relations from Prophecy to the Present
  • Fools Crow
  • The Lakota Way: Stories and Lessons for Living
  • The Sacred Hoop: Recovering the Feminine in American Indian Traditions
  • Crazy Horse: The Strange Man of the Oglalas
  • Book of the Hopi: The first revelation of the Hopi's historical and religious world-view of life
  • Seven Arrows
  • Red Earth, White Lies: Native Americans and the Myth of Scientific Fact
  • In the Spirit of Crazy Horse
  • Male Colors: The Construction of Homosexuality in Tokugawa Japan
  • All Our Relations: Native Struggles for Land and Life
  • Stolen Continents: 500 Years of Conquest and Resistance in the Americas
  • Splendid Slippers: A Thousand Years of an Erotic Tradition
  • The Lance and the Shield: The Life and Times of Sitting Bull
Wallace Black Elk (1921-2004), a traditional Lakota Elder and spiritual interpreter, was a Channupa (sacred pipe) bearing descendent of the legendary Nicholas Black Elk whose visionary experiences were recounted in the book "Black Elk Speaks." Grandfather Wallace was born and raised on the Rosebud Reservation in South Dakota and has been trained since childhood in the sacred ways of his people. He ...more
More about Wallace Black Elk...