Start by marking “The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!” as Want to Read:
The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!

The Pigeon Wants a Puppy! (Pigeon)

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  14,834 Ratings  ·  673 Reviews
He really, really, REALLY wants one. He'll take really good care of it! What's the matter--don't you want him to be happy? The latest book in the best-selling Pigeon series is the funniest one yet.
Published April 1st 2008 by Disney-Hyperion

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Best Books of 2008
35th out of 1,527 books — 6,857 voters
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone
Voices & Sounds - Best Read Alouds for Young Children
62nd out of 515 books — 555 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Mar 06, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Wow! Pigeon is SO funny. Those expressions... even though he could seem a bit whiney and irksome, he is somehow remarkably endearing. Haha! I'm going to look for more of his adventures.
It's just me Shelly B
I read this book 10 times today:))))) I guess I do reread after all:))))))))

The things you do for your children:)))))))
Jermeria Daniel
Jul 10, 2015 Jermeria Daniel rated it it was amazing
I would use this book to introduce the idea of caring for a pet. The class will talk about the responsibilities and then I would introduce my classroom to their very own pet.
Ronyell
After reading Mo Willems’ classic picture book, “Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus,” I wanted to try out the other books in the “Pigeon” series and I finally stumbled upon “The Pigeon wants a Puppy!” “The Pigeon wants a Puppy” is a great follow up to “Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus” and anyone who is a huge fan of Mo Willems’ “Pigeon” series will definitely enjoy this book!

Basically, this story is about how the Pigeon wants to have a puppy and constantly keeps telling the readers about how
Hilary
Jul 10, 2009 Hilary rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Krissy
Recommended to Hilary by: Townes v. Z.
Pigeon wants a puppy.
Pigeon wants to drive a bus.
Pigeon wants to eat a whole hot dog.
Pigeon wants to stay up late.

Well, Pigeon wants a lot of stuff now, doesn't he? Pigeon has a large sense of entitlement now, doesn't he? Well, we want Pigeon to be happy now, don't we? We can't deny him anything now, can we? Would that break his little bird-heart to be told every now and then that he should have to work in order to get good things?

Wow. Pigeon is one self-entitled bird. I'm not certain if books l
Aanya Shine
Jan 27, 2015 Aanya Shine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-by-myself
I think the pigeon is silly because it wants a puppy as a pet. I like the part when the puppy came to lick the pigeon.
midnightfaerie
Sep 18, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another awesome Willems book with our favorite lovable silly pigeon. This time he wants a puppy and has no idea the responsibility it takes to own a pet and it's our job to explain it to him. My 3 yr old twins love the books that seemingly talk to them and require a response. It really helps them stay engaged and keeps it interactive. My 5 yr old just enjoys the silly stories. A great addition to any children's collection!
Dolly
Nov 14, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2010
We have loved the Pigeon stories ever since our girls were really little. Mo Willems is an amazing Chilren's author and we borrow all of his books as soon as we see a new one.

This is a funny story and quite appropriate for this age group. In fact, today our youngest pitched a fit because she saw a cute mouse in the pet store and wanted it right then and there (despite the prebrief before we ever got to the store that we were not purchasing any pets, no way, no how!) We turned her tantrum into a
Nov 18, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
I Love the pictures and it is so CUTE
stephanie
but i think this is my all-time favorite of the pigeon books. because this was me, multiple times, as a kid. i would have done ANYTHING for a puppy, but seriously, that would have been such a disaster.

an EXCELLENT book for parents who have kids who want everything!

(and adults that are okay with laughing at their childhood selves.)

seriously. the pigeon ROCKS.
Huy
Sep 08, 2014 Huy rated it it was amazing
Cuốn này hay nhất series và khùng nhất hạng =)). Coi cười như điên :)))
Boni
Apr 16, 2008 Boni rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! More simple and direct than its predecessors, this Pigeon book is less of a game and (dare I say it?) more heartfelt, which in this case, for a change, is a VERY GOOD THING! I'm loving the puppy-wanting pigeon :)
Qt
Feb 20, 2009 Qt rated it really liked it
Such a cute, charming book! The story and art is simple, but amusing and sweet. The Pigeon seems like an endearing character :-)
Kiah Ballard
Jun 28, 2015 Kiah Ballard rated it really liked it
This book was pretty hilarious. This was the first book from Mo Willems pigeon series that ive read and pigeon's persistence with the bold letters were pretty funny to me. I think children would love this book especially if you as the the reader gave Pigeon a funny sounding voice. I would also use this book to talk to the children in my class about what things are needed to take care of a puppy. This could even spark a pet store themed dramatic play area where children could come and buy pets an ...more
Linda
May 27, 2008 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: controlled-vocab
Pigeon wants a puppy. Really, pigeon wants a puppy and promises to take good care of it. Pigeon is a sassy bird who knows what he wants and will do his best to convince you of the same. The vocabulary is simple and would be easy for any beginning reader to attempt. The illustrations are also simple, but in an almost retro eye-catching way. Pre K and K.

From NYT:
"Willems proves once more that crayoned ornithology and impassioned monologues to the reader…can roost indefinitely in literature's rafte
RitaSkeeter
Dec 04, 2014 RitaSkeeter rated it it was amazing
The pigeon wants a puppy. He doesn't just want the puppy he wants it RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW . And in typical pigeon he loses the plot as he wheedles, demands, and begs for a puppy. But has he bitten off more than he can chew? We really enjoyed this instalment - it's one of the pigeon's better books.

My rating: 5/5
Master 6's rating: 7/5 - silly pigeon!
Master 3's rating: 5/5 - cats are much better than puppies (I agree young padawan, I agree).
Sarah Sammis
Feb 16, 2009 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pc, read-in-2009
In fall 2007, Mo Willems ran a contest for children to name the newest Pigeon book. The resulting book is The Pigeon Wants a Puppy. So from hot dogs to dogs.

In this book the Pigeon teaches the important lesson of "be careful what you wish for." Usually the pigeon books focus on him not getting what he wants. Not this time. The pigeon wants a puppy and the pigeon gets a puppy.

Now just stop for a moment and think about this because the Pigeon certainly didn't. The Pigeon is well, pigeon sized. The
Shakeema Gabriel
Jul 16, 2014 Shakeema Gabriel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
I just love this series. You could introduce this book during an animal unit or if we wanted to talk about pets. I would asked who had a pet maybe we could draw pictures of our pet and if we didn't have a pet what kind of pet do we want. I would ask the children questions like why would a pigeon want a pet. These books are cute and silly.
Amy
Feb 03, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Poor pigeon. In this latest Mo Willems tale, another age old childhood desire consumes pigeon. He wants a puppy. He wants one now and he is prepared to do anything for it! Until, that is, he meets one!

Willems' simple illustrations are easy for children to identify with. The story is fun-loving and goofy, perfect for young children 2-6 years old. Teachers could do a shared writing experience with this story and create a chart where each child shares a sentence that begins like "I wanted a ___". I
Caleb
Oct 30, 2015 Caleb rated it really liked it
Caleb (age 4): "He really wants a puppy and at the end he wants a walrus. He really gets scared when he meets the puppy. This is an interactive book for children that works for cures."
April
Dec 11, 2008 April rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture_books
Sometimes an author can overdo things... same character over and over and it just seems tired and uncreative and a series loses it appeal... BUT this is not what happened with the beloved Pigeon! He wants a puppy ... he really does... and he'll say and do anything to convince you of it. Well, we'll see what happens when he comes face-to-face with a dog...will the pigeon change his tune? Don't skip over the end papers or the title page & verso, you'll really miss out. I discovered that the pi ...more
Lesley
Nov 18, 2015 Lesley rated it liked it
cute--love the ending!
Nicholl Massullo
My favorite thing about “The Pigeon Wants a Puppy” is that it made my whole family laugh out loud. Anything that makes all of us laugh out loud is worth reading. I love this pigeon because he/she, not sure which, is so simple minded and witty with a tad of sarcasm. The simplicity of the text and illustrations are great for a young reader, yet the wit and sarcasm holds the attention of a more advanced reader. The author/illustrator makes this book look simple, which we know is hard to do. The ill ...more
Luis Reynoso
Mar 29, 2015 Luis Reynoso rated it it was amazing
The Pigeon Wants a Puppy is a children's book about an annoying pigeon who wants a puppy. He guilt trips us into thinking he deserves it. He tells us he is going to water it at least once a week and that puppies need plenty of water and sunshine. But when the puppy is placed in front of him and he realizes that the puppy is bigger than him and scary in his eyes, he changes his mind about wanting it and instead wants a hippo.

The book has a humorous tone to it. The pigeon bothers us about wanting
Carson
Sep 23, 2014 Carson rated it really liked it
The Pigeon Wants a Puppy! Is another installment in Mo Willem's pigeon series. This time around, the pigeon wants more than anything in the world to own a puppy. However, the pigeon hasn't necessarily seen a puppy before. But that doesn't stop him from trying several different tactics to get what he wants. The book is a really fun read, especially to read aloud. The text is large and great for beginning readers to try on their own.

Mo Willems' illustrations are what truly make the book fun. They
Natalia Leston
Jun 29, 2015 Natalia Leston rated it it was amazing
This is a great read aloud for students (Pr-Kindergarten, Kindergarten, and even 1st Grade students) because it is a fun story and students are amused by the illustrations, the Pigeon's character, and the different fonts used in this book to emphasize words and feelings. In this book, the Pigeon talks about all the reasons he wants a puppy, without any real insight on what having a puppy is truly like, only to find out at the end he no longer wants a puppy. I used this book as part of an author ...more
Teddie Trombley
Apr 30, 2014 Teddie Trombley rated it liked it
Shelves: animals
The pigeon series is also a very famous series of books by Mo Willems. I think he is a very clever author and really enjoys making the books fun and enjoyable to read. This book is about a pigeon who all he wants in the world is a puppy. It is his dream of his to have a puppy but he has had this dream only since last Thursday though. When he finally gets the puppy he starts freaking out because he didn’t know how big they actually were. He also didn’t know how terrifying the teeth were on a dog. ...more
The Pigeon never ceases to amuse me. He cracks me up. I love how Mo Willems can draw such a delightful character with only a few strokes of the pen and you have this crazy little bird who's emotions are etched across his face in such a hilarious manner. This book is definitely a keeper, buy it for all your friends!

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Lindsey
The pigeon wants a puppy starts off with the pigeon having a conversation with the reader. The pigeon asks the reader if the reader knows what the pigeon wants. The pigeon then tells the reader he has wanted a puppy since last Tuesday. The pigeon tells the reader how he promises to take care of the puppy; he’ll water it at least once a month, every puppy needs plenty of sunshine and water. The pigeon finally gets a puppy. But once the pigeon sees the puppy, the pigeon is terrified at the puppy’s ...more
Lisa Vegan
This is a very, very, very simple book; the text and illustrations are both very spare. It’s also funny and great for beginning readers and younger children. As a puppy loving person I enjoyed it even though it’s much more about the pigeon than the puppy. The story was almost too simple for me but it had an amusing enough “surprise” ending.
  • Dinosaur vs. the Library
  • Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend (Scaredy Squirrel)
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean
  • Grumpy Bird
  • There Are Cats in This Book
  • Z Is for Moose
  • Olivia and the Missing Toy
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems...

Pigeon (8 books)
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
  • The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
  • The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?
  • The Pigeon Needs a Bath!

“I Want A Puppy! Right Here! Right Now!” 2 likes