The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!

The Pigeon Wants a Puppy! (Pigeon)

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  10,177 ratings  ·  544 reviews
He really, really, REALLY wants one. He'll take really good care of it! What's the matter--don't you want him to be happy? The latest book in the best-selling Pigeon series is the funniest one yet.
Published April 1st 2008 by Disney-Hyperion

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Best Books of 2008
33rd out of 1,340 books — 6,735 voters
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner
Voices & Sounds - Best Read Alouds for Young Children
60th out of 395 books — 405 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Wow! Pigeon is SO funny. Those expressions... even though he could seem a bit whiney and irksome, he is somehow remarkably endearing. Haha! I'm going to look for more of his adventures.
It's just me Shelly B
I read this book 10 times today:))))) I guess I do reread after all:))))))))

The things you do for your children:)))))))
Ronyell
After reading Mo Willems’ classic picture book, “Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus,” I wanted to try out the other books in the “Pigeon” series and I finally stumbled upon “The Pigeon wants a Puppy!” “The Pigeon wants a Puppy” is a great follow up to “Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus” and anyone who is a huge fan of Mo Willems’ “Pigeon” series will definitely enjoy this book!

Basically, this story is about how the Pigeon wants to have a puppy and constantly keeps telling the readers about how...more
Fox
Jul 10, 2009 Fox rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Krissy
Recommended to Fox by: Townes v. Z.
Pigeon wants a puppy.
Pigeon wants to drive a bus.
Pigeon wants to eat a whole hot dog.
Pigeon wants to stay up late.

Well, Pigeon wants a lot of stuff now, doesn't he? Pigeon has a large sense of entitlement now, doesn't he? Well, we want Pigeon to be happy now, don't we? We can't deny him anything now, can we? Would that break his little bird-heart to be told every now and then that he should have to work in order to get good things?

Wow. Pigeon is one self-entitled bird. I'm not certain if books l...more
midnightfaerie
Another awesome Willems book with our favorite lovable silly pigeon. This time he wants a puppy and has no idea the responsibility it takes to own a pet and it's our job to explain it to him. My 3 yr old twins love the books that seemingly talk to them and require a response. It really helps them stay engaged and keeps it interactive. My 5 yr old just enjoys the silly stories. A great addition to any children's collection!
Dolly
Nov 14, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens, pets
We have loved the Pigeon stories ever since our girls were really little. Mo Willems is an amazing Chilren's author and we borrow all of his books as soon as we see a new one.

This is a funny story and quite appropriate for this age group. In fact, today our youngest pitched a fit because she saw a cute mouse in the pet store and wanted it right then and there (despite the prebrief before we ever got to the store that we were not purchasing any pets, no way, no how!) We turned her tantrum into a...more
stephanie
but i think this is my all-time favorite of the pigeon books. because this was me, multiple times, as a kid. i would have done ANYTHING for a puppy, but seriously, that would have been such a disaster.

an EXCELLENT book for parents who have kids who want everything!

(and adults that are okay with laughing at their childhood selves.)

seriously. the pigeon ROCKS.
Boni
Fantastic! More simple and direct than its predecessors, this Pigeon book is less of a game and (dare I say it?) more heartfelt, which in this case, for a change, is a VERY GOOD THING! I'm loving the puppy-wanting pigeon :)
Qt
Such a cute, charming book! The story and art is simple, but amusing and sweet. The Pigeon seems like an endearing character :-)
Linda
Pigeon wants a puppy. Really, pigeon wants a puppy and promises to take good care of it. Pigeon is a sassy bird who knows what he wants and will do his best to convince you of the same. The vocabulary is simple and would be easy for any beginning reader to attempt. The illustrations are also simple, but in an almost retro eye-catching way. Pre K and K.

From NYT:
"Willems proves once more that crayoned ornithology and impassioned monologues to the reader…can roost indefinitely in literature's rafte...more
Sarah Sammis
In fall 2007, Mo Willems ran a contest for children to name the newest Pigeon book. The resulting book is The Pigeon Wants a Puppy. So from hot dogs to dogs.

In this book the Pigeon teaches the important lesson of "be careful what you wish for." Usually the pigeon books focus on him not getting what he wants. Not this time. The pigeon wants a puppy and the pigeon gets a puppy.

Now just stop for a moment and think about this because the Pigeon certainly didn't. The Pigeon is well, pigeon sized. The...more
Shakeema Gabriel
I just love this series. You could introduce this book during an animal unit or if we wanted to talk about pets. I would asked who had a pet maybe we could draw pictures of our pet and if we didn't have a pet what kind of pet do we want. I would ask the children questions like why would a pigeon want a pet. These books are cute and silly.
Amy
Poor pigeon. In this latest Mo Willems tale, another age old childhood desire consumes pigeon. He wants a puppy. He wants one now and he is prepared to do anything for it! Until, that is, he meets one!

Willems' simple illustrations are easy for children to identify with. The story is fun-loving and goofy, perfect for young children 2-6 years old. Teachers could do a shared writing experience with this story and create a chart where each child shares a sentence that begins like "I wanted a ___". I...more
April
Sometimes an author can overdo things... same character over and over and it just seems tired and uncreative and a series loses it appeal... BUT this is not what happened with the beloved Pigeon! He wants a puppy ... he really does... and he'll say and do anything to convince you of it. Well, we'll see what happens when he comes face-to-face with a dog...will the pigeon change his tune? Don't skip over the end papers or the title page & verso, you'll really miss out. I discovered that the pi...more
Teddie Trombley
The pigeon series is also a very famous series of books by Mo Willems. I think he is a very clever author and really enjoys making the books fun and enjoyable to read. This book is about a pigeon who all he wants in the world is a puppy. It is his dream of his to have a puppy but he has had this dream only since last Thursday though. When he finally gets the puppy he starts freaking out because he didn’t know how big they actually were. He also didn’t know how terrifying the teeth were on a dog....more
Snorkle
The Pigeon never ceases to amuse me. He cracks me up. I love how Mo Willems can draw such a delightful character with only a few strokes of the pen and you have this crazy little bird who's emotions are etched across his face in such a hilarious manner. This book is definitely a keeper, buy it for all your friends!

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Lindsey
The pigeon wants a puppy starts off with the pigeon having a conversation with the reader. The pigeon asks the reader if the reader knows what the pigeon wants. The pigeon then tells the reader he has wanted a puppy since last Tuesday. The pigeon tells the reader how he promises to take care of the puppy; he’ll water it at least once a month, every puppy needs plenty of sunshine and water. The pigeon finally gets a puppy. But once the pigeon sees the puppy, the pigeon is terrified at the puppy’s...more
Lisa Vegan
This is a very, very, very simple book; the text and illustrations are both very spare. It’s also funny and great for beginning readers and younger children. As a puppy loving person I enjoyed it even though it’s much more about the pigeon than the puppy. The story was almost too simple for me but it had an amusing enough “surprise” ending.
Polly
Very appreciated by kids, although dangerous if you don't want to start a discussion about who has/wants a dog (and next time I read it, I think I'll bring a picture of a walrus--too many four-year-olds have only a hazy idea what a walrus is--but they still love the book).
Allison
I would use this book when discussing quotes, and speech bubbles within text. Reading texts with speech bubbles would introduce the idea that not all books are set up the same way, and therefore can/should be read in different ways.
I mean, really, who doesn't love the Pigeon? I particularly love the shift in perspective for the puppy. He seems really menacing but a simple shift in view turns him into exactly the kind of dog I would love to have!
Erin
Feb 28, 2011 Erin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents & children's services librarians
I love Mo Willems! He really captures the essence of little kids--even when portraying them as pigeons. :) This would be great fun to read out loud at story time or bedtime/naptime. Or any time!
Marah
Love the Pigeon books by Mo Willems. Enjoyed Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! even more.
Inspired Kathy
This is not my favorite of Mo Willem's pigeon books but still a great book to read, especially after enjoying the other books about pigeon.
Amy
The Pigeon Wants a Puppy! is an adorable book, as are all the Pigeon books. This one gave my daughter and me a good giggle! Silly Pigeon...
Cheryl in CC NV
Powell's layover. Not as original as I expect from Willems, but it does have a cute twist at the end.
elissa
4 1/2 stars. It's a good read-aloud, but not quite as good as my 2 favorite Pigeon books.
Jake
May 28, 2008 Jake added it
Shelves: dog-books
another knee-slapper from Mo Willems. MAN, we love that guy.
Hannah Cobb
You can't go wrong with Mo Willems. Enough said.
  • Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend (Scaredy Squirrel)
  • Llama Llama Mad at Mama
  • Good Boy, Fergus!
  • Bark, George
  • Little Pea
  • Olivia And The Missing Toy
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • There Are Cats in This Book
  • Grumpy Bird
  • Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes
  • Up and Down
  • Not a Stick
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r...more
More about Mo Willems...
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!