Start by marking “Mac OS X: The Missing Manual: The Book That Should Have Been in the Box” as Want to Read:
Mac OS X:  The Missing Manual: The Book That Should Have Been in the Box

Mac OS X: The Missing Manual: The Book That Should Have Been in the Box

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  6 reviews
For personal computer users of every stripe, Mac OS X is a whole new ballgame. It combines Apple's trademark visual elegance with the underlying stability of UNIX, which adds up to a rock-solid, gorgeous operating system.

Unfortunately, learning Mac OS X is also whole new ballgame. As author David Pogue notes in his introduction, "Mac OS X" is a misnomer--it isn't really th
Published December 8th 2001 by Pogue Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Mac OS X, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mac OS X

Thiago
Apr 23, 2008 Thiago rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: First Time Mac Users
I got this upon the purchase of my first Mac. Although I'm fairly comfortable with computers, my whole life experience up to that moment was based on DOS/Windows, with the exception of a few classes I took on Bioinformatics, where I learned very basic UNIX.

The book is excellent, and within a couple of days I was already comfortably navigating through OS X, setting preferences, etc. The "Where did it go?" appendix for windows users is very useful, as you can quickly find your way to everything yo
Tamara
I actually almost started reading this like a novel. Everything about my new Mac is so pretty, it's really interesting to see what all it can do. And the prose of this is very accessible.

Basically, if you're new to the Mac and you want to know all of its hidden capabilities, this is a good place to start. Just beware because there is a lot of discussion about the differences between this version and the older version (Mac OS 9). Simply gloss over these parts.
Dave
Aug 29, 2007 Dave rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mac Users
Shelves: computers
As a long-time PC user and relatively new Mac convert, I found this book to be invaluable. David Pogue writes an instruction manual that is fun to read. I keep it on my desk to help me learn more about my MacBook Pro, and the Mac OS X.
rma
In my opinion this book is the best of the missing manual series. Everything the average mac user and even the beginner would like to know about using their computer.
Patrick
Jun 21, 2007 Patrick rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone Using OS X Tiger
Excellent book. Not dry. The author had a great sense of humor about everything computers. Very nearly as entertaining as it is informative.
Foxthyme
This book has kept me sane while I transitioned from PC to Apple. Now I love my iMac instead of wanting to throw it out the window!
Rt
Rt added it
Dec 19, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Dec 16, 2014
NorthWest Man
NorthWest Man marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
  • Java in a Nutshell
  • Programming Perl
  • HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide
  • The Merriam-Webster Dictionary
  • UNIX in a Nutshell: System V Edition: A Desktop Quick Reference for System V Release 4 and Solaris 2.0
  • Google Hacks: Tips & Tools for Finding and Using the World's Information
  • XML in a Nutshell
  • The Book of Questions: Love & Sex
  • Ajax in Action
  • Auras

David Pogue, Yale '85, is the weekly personal-technology columnist for the New York Times and an Emmy award-winning tech correspondent for CBS News. His funny tech videos appear weekly on CNBC. And with 3 million books in print, he is also one of the world's bestselling how- to authors. He wrote or co-wrote seven books in the "For Dummies" series (including Macs, Magic, Opera, and Classical Music)

More about David Pogue...
Abby Carnelia's One and Only Magical Power Classical Music for Dummies Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual The World According to Twitter Opera for Dummies