Start by marking “The Case Of The Crimson Kiss: A Perry Mason Novelette, And Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Case Of The Crimson Kiss: A Perry Mason Novelette, And Other Stories

The Case Of The Crimson Kiss: A Perry Mason Novelette, And Other Stories (Perry Mason #84)

189 pages
Published (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Case Of The Crimson Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case Of The Crimson Kiss

B.R. Stateham
Aug 26, 2014 B.R. Stateham rated it liked it
A novelette, one of two, out of the Perry Mason double whammy, The Case of the Caution Coquette. Not bad. Some nice courtroom scenes. Some interesting twist and turns in investigating two apparently separate crimes that wind up being just one big, complex crime.

But the ending . . .oh my gosh! The ending is so confusing and contrived it almost killed the whole story for me. Still, I like the Perry Mason novels as a whole. The orginal Mason is so different that what has been portrayed on the smal
Don
Nov 24, 2016 Don rated it really liked it
Shelves: perry-mason
Good book overall. Not the best but it was a good sampling of his other works. "The Case of the Crimson Kiss" was a good case. It felt a bit rushed but a good story. I think the best story was the desert story. "The Valley of Little Fears" had great pulp characters and great style.
"Crooked Lightning" had a great build-up but the climax left me wanting and re-reading the last page to see if I missed something of if that was really the end.
"Fingers of Fong" was another good detective yarn. That o
Donna
Oct 21, 2016 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good mystery, not one of his best. Plenty of plot twists and turns, a bit short on character development because of the short length of the story. Still, it was an entertaining read, which is what Perry Mason novels are all about! (read as an additional story contained in the Cautious Coquette)
Les Anderson
Jul 31, 2016 Les Anderson rated it really liked it
Not a bad collection of stories, although it's not for everyone.

The Case of the Crimson Kiss is one of the better Perry Mason mysteries. Trust Mason to pull a rabbit out of his hat in the courtroom.

Fingers of Fong is a little odd, although it probably didn't feel that way at the time it was written. There's a bit of deus ex machina at the end that turned me off completely.

The Valley of Little Fears is great!! I love stories like this. There's no mystery here, just a well-told story about fear. I
Ed
Aug 24, 2013 Ed rated it really liked it
Early short stories of Perry Mason creator, Erle Stanley Gardner, published in the pulps, accompanying an early Perry Mason novella. Lots of fun, and for Perry Mason fans, in addition to the novella, is a 50 page private eye caper featuring Jerry Marr - read At Arm's Length and see if Jerry doesn't sound a whole lot like Perry.

SS - Features the novella The Case of the Crimson Kiss (1948) in which Perry Mason clears his client, despite damning evidence in the victim's lovenest, through the lipsti
Girish
Nov 25, 2015 Girish rated it it was ok
Imagine short mysteries with characters you read about for 2 pages before having to back them for solving the case in 30 pages. This Novelette that includes one Perry Mason caselet among 5 short stories was not really my cup of tea.

Published posthumously, the book contains early writings of mystery and intrigue which feature unlikely heroes.

The case of the crimson kiss was crisp but an average mystery. In my mind, I imagined it to be a brief for a bigger book. Fingers of Fong was weird and Vall
Ani Vardanyan
Apr 06, 2012 Ani Vardanyan rated it it was amazing
What I like about detective stories in general is that when they're good firstly they are very absorbing: getting curious you read them very fast, secondly, the language is rather simple for a non-native speaker, so you're almost never interrupted to open a dictionary, and thirdly they're just interesting and enjoyable to read. :D :)) So, this one was one of the bests!
Donna
Jan 25, 2016 Donna rated it it was amazing
A Treasury of Great Mysteries This one was my favorite. I do need to find more Perry Mason stories. I passed so many up when going to book sales...who knew I'd like them!!
Freya
May 15, 2015 Freya rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I particularly enjoyed the Fingers of Fong and Gardner's detailing of the Oriental society in LA. Jerry Marr also made an impact with his fast wits and smart cheeky thinking.
Lauren Barrett
Lauren Barrett rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Amruta
Amruta rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2012
Gentleman Farmer
Gentleman Farmer rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Sarah Thomas
Sarah Thomas rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Geof
Geof rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Beverley
Beverley rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2014
Victor Galué
Victor Galué rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Randy Wiggins
Randy Wiggins rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2011
Praveen
Praveen rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Alyson
Alyson rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2012
Kelly Henry
Kelly Henry rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2015
Kiran
Kiran rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2012
Anita Schweppe
Anita Schweppe rated it liked it
May 18, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2016
Sonali
Sonali rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2014
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson rated it liked it
May 12, 2014
Vincent Darlage
Feb 16, 2015 Vincent Darlage rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed this short little novelette. Good clean resolution.
Inez
Inez rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2013
Christie Boudreaux
Christie Boudreaux rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2014
Dan Eggleston
Dan Eggleston rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Komisario Palmun erehdys
  • The Adventures of Ellery Queen
  • Les Confessions d'un bourgeois
  • Father Brown: Selected Stories (Oxford World's Classics)
  • Maigret and the Killer
  • Murder at the Manor: Country House Mysteries
  • The Confessions of Arsène Lupin (Arsène Lupin, #6)
  • The Allingham Case-Book
  • The Mournful Demeanour of Lieutenant Boruvka: Detective Tales
  • Malice Aforethought
  • Two Lives and a Dream
  • Histoires inédites du Petit Nicolas (Histoires Inedites Du Petit Nicolas, #1)
  • The Beast Must Die (Nigel Strangeways, #4)
  • The Grand Tour: Letters and Photographs from the British Empire Expedition 1922
  • The Summons (Peter Diamond, #3)
  • Trap for Cinderella
  • Нефритовые четки (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #11)

More about Erle Stanley Gardner...

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason Mysteries)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop (Perry Mason #9)
  • The Case of the Dangerous Dowager (Perry Mason Mystery)