Start by marking “Jack's Talent” as Want to Read:
Jack's Talent

Jack's Talent

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
"You must be good at something," said Miss Lucinda. "Everyone has a special talent."

On the first day of school, Miss Lucinda asks the students to share their special talents. Francesca is a star soccer player, Matthew can catch huge fish with his grandpa, and Candace is an excellent artist. It seems that everyone has something to share. But Jack is worried. He doesn't have
Published July 10th 2007 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Jack's Talent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack's Talent

Maria Estrada
Jan 31, 2016 Maria Estrada rated it it was amazing
Jack's talent by Maryann Cocca-Leffler is about a little boy named Jack who has his first day of class. The teacher gathers all of the students on the story rug. She tells them that she needs to make name tags so she wants everyone to say their name and their special talent. All of the students say their names and talents but Jack tells them that he doesn't have a special talent like them as he keeps talking the teacher discovers his special talent. If you want to find out Jack's special talent ...more
Karen
Sep 07, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
This is a pretty cute first-day-of-school and everybody's-special story. The illustrations are cartoony-er than I prefer, but my little boy seemed to like this book.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars, but I round up.
Melanie
It's Jack's first day of school. His teacher sits everyone down on the storytime carpet and introduces herself and states that she is good at gardening. Then she wants each child to state their name and something they're good at. All of Jack's classmates stand up, state their name and explain what they're good at. When it becomes Jack's turn he doesn't think he's good at anything. But then he realizes that he listed everyone and what they were good at. Jack's good at remembering!
Suzanne
Jun 02, 2008 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great book! The illustrations are so fun and the books has a wonderful message. It can be used to start a dialog between a parent/child or teacher/student(s) about what makes them special and unique. My daughter said her talent was riding her bike, and I pointed out that she is also talented at drawing pictures for people. It was very sweet, just like this book.
Ashlee Gibson
Apr 11, 2011 Ashlee Gibson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1st-day-of-shelf
I LOVE THIS BOOK! It is a great book to read on the first day of school. It will remind everyone that there is something special about everyone. The illustrations are so colorful. It reminded me to look for something special in each child.
Laurie
May 15, 2009 Laurie added it
Shelves: fiction, childrens
I love this book! It's about a boy who has a talent but doesn't realize it. He can't play soccer or the piano, but his talent is equally as important! A great book for kids with less-than-obvious talents
Kendall
A cute book that little kids love. A book about finding your own special gifts. Cute...one of the better of the Show-Me Readers 2009-2010 lot. Darling, colorful illustrations.
The Library Lady
Sep 18, 2007 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
EVERY child is talented in their own way, and that's the message of this book. But it's delivered as part of a nice back to school story. And I love the illustrations!
Amanda
Sep 01, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
This was a fun book that introduced the idea of talent. Unfortunately what my DS seemed to take from it was that Jack wasn't good at anything :(
Jenn Sinal
Dec 07, 2013 Jenn Sinal rated it really liked it
So true- every child has a gift. Our goal as teachers, like Miss Lucinda is to nourish that gift and watch that child grow. Lovely, simple, direct.
Saima Pradhan
Sep 06, 2009 Saima Pradhan rated it really liked it
This book explains how everyone has some sort of talent. It helps Jack find his talent.
Karla
Jul 31, 2012 Karla rated it liked it
Every student has a special talent, even if they don't see it at first.
Marshmallowlemonade
jack figures out what he is good at.
Naphtali
Mar 03, 2010 Naphtali rated it really liked it
Cute. Good for story times.
Lexy
Nov 22, 2010 Lexy added it
mentor text
Catherine Rosetta
Catherine Rosetta marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Katie
Katie added it
Jun 24, 2016
Elizabeth Vance
Elizabeth Vance is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2016
Cora
Cora rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Christenfaasse
Christenfaasse marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Adrienne Reeder
Adrienne Reeder marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Renata
Renata added it
Feb 29, 2016
carol e hughes
carol e hughes rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Brianne
Brianne marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Terrah
Terrah rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2015
Ryan Klopfenstein
Ryan Klopfenstein rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Author-Illustrator Maryann Cocca-Leffler has been a story teller since way back. She told her second grade classmates that her father owned the “Coca-Cola” company (he didn’t.) That teeny tiny lie was the idea behind her book, "Princess K.I.M. and the Lie That Grew" and it's sequel "Princess Kim and Too Much Truth" (Albert Whitman 2009/11). These two books have inspired the play- PRINCESS K.I.M. T ...more
More about Maryann Cocca-Leffler...