Start by marking “Jack's Talent” as Want to Read:
Jack's Talent

Jack's Talent

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  14 reviews
"You must be good at something," said Miss Lucinda. "Everyone has a special talent."

On the first day of school, Miss Lucinda asks the students to share their special talents. Francesca is a star soccer player, Matthew can catch huge fish with his grandpa, and Candace is an excellent artist. It seems that everyone has something to share. But Jack is worried. He doesn't have
Published July 10th 2007 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Jack's Talent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack's Talent

Karen
This is a pretty cute first-day-of-school and everybody's-special story. The illustrations are cartoony-er than I prefer, but my little boy seemed to like this book.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars, but I round up.
Melanie
It's Jack's first day of school. His teacher sits everyone down on the storytime carpet and introduces herself and states that she is good at gardening. Then she wants each child to state their name and something they're good at. All of Jack's classmates stand up, state their name and explain what they're good at. When it becomes Jack's turn he doesn't think he's good at anything. But then he realizes that he listed everyone and what they were good at. Jack's good at remembering!
Suzanne
This is a great book! The illustrations are so fun and the books has a wonderful message. It can be used to start a dialog between a parent/child or teacher/student(s) about what makes them special and unique. My daughter said her talent was riding her bike, and I pointed out that she is also talented at drawing pictures for people. It was very sweet, just like this book.
Ashlee Gibson
I LOVE THIS BOOK! It is a great book to read on the first day of school. It will remind everyone that there is something special about everyone. The illustrations are so colorful. It reminded me to look for something special in each child.
Laurie
May 15, 2009 Laurie added it
Shelves: childrens, fiction
I love this book! It's about a boy who has a talent but doesn't realize it. He can't play soccer or the piano, but his talent is equally as important! A great book for kids with less-than-obvious talents
Kendall
A cute book that little kids love. A book about finding your own special gifts. Cute...one of the better of the Show-Me Readers 2009-2010 lot. Darling, colorful illustrations.
The Library Lady
EVERY child is talented in their own way, and that's the message of this book. But it's delivered as part of a nice back to school story. And I love the illustrations!
Amanda
This was a fun book that introduced the idea of talent. Unfortunately what my DS seemed to take from it was that Jack wasn't good at anything :(
Jenn Sinal
So true- every child has a gift. Our goal as teachers, like Miss Lucinda is to nourish that gift and watch that child grow. Lovely, simple, direct.
Saima Pradhan
This book explains how everyone has some sort of talent. It helps Jack find his talent.
Karla
Every student has a special talent, even if they don't see it at first.
Marshmallowlemonade
jack figures out what he is good at.
Naphtali
Cute. Good for story times.
Lexy
Nov 22, 2010 Lexy added it
mentor text
Cindy Williams
Cindy Williams marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Lani Lawrence
Lani Lawrence marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Grismaldys Cabrera
Grismaldys Cabrera marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Joanne Massay
Joanne Massay marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Winnetta Prince
Winnetta Prince marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Mabi Gonzalez
Mabi Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Ken Davis
Ken Davis marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Author-Illustrator Maryann Cocca-Leffler has been a story teller since way back. She told her second grade classmates that her father owned the “Coca-Cola” company (he didn’t.) That teeny tiny lie was the idea behind her book, "Princess K.I.M. and the Lie That Grew" and it's sequel "Princess Kim and Too Much Truth" (Albert Whitman 2009/11). These two books have inspired the play- PRINCESS K.I.M. T ...more
More about Maryann Cocca-Leffler...
Let It Fall Theo's Mood Janine. Time to Say Bye-Bye A Vacation for Pooch