Start by marking “Victorine” as Want to Read:
Victorine

Victorine

In 1899, Victorine Texier abandons her small French village, her husband, and her two young children to follow her lover to Indochina. She has fallen for Antoine, her childhood sweetheart, and when his work sends him to Asia she is compelled to go with him, and to leave everything she knows behind. Their five weeks together onboard the ship to Indochina are a kind of honey ...more
Published April 12th 2005 by Anchor (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Victorine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Victorine

Erin
Apr 23, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am tripping OUT how low the ratings are for this book. We just read this for book club and it was a smash hit with everyone. Personally, I did have trouble at first with the actual topic. Maybe other people did as well? It's about a woman at the turn of the 20th century who bails out on her husband and two children to follow a childhood crush to Indochina. I was frankly pissed at her for the first quarter of the book! Crazy for the time, yes. Crazy now, in my opinion, which is the core of my i ...more
Dana Stabenow
Jan 28, 2010 Dana Stabenow rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Lisa
Oct 29, 2007 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recentlyread
An interesting book with vivid descriptions of life in Indochina. Victorine, married with two children, leaves an unhappy marriage and escapes to Indochina with her childhood sweetheart. They build a life there in the hot, humid weather, exotic flowers and swirls of opium smoke. Then, after 10 years, she goes back to France, back to her husband. She starts out planning to finally end things with him - ask for a divorce, explain things to her children - but she stays, has another child, lives out ...more
Sharyn
Sep 19, 2010 Sharyn rated it liked it
Bonnie
Jul 08, 2007 Bonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who enjoy books about Victorian era Asia, romance readers
This story is about the author's Great Grandmother, who, while married with 2 kids, ran off to Indochine with the man she was in love with. The author 'filled in' her time in Indochine, so it is fiction based on family history. I liked this book, but I found it hard to like the main character, Victorine. She never seemed happy, no matter where she was and who she was with, and I could never personally leave any children I had behind, no matter what, so it was hard to connect with her. Despite al ...more
Hue
Dec 30, 2015 Hue rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I guess it all makes sense, but I find it hard to like any of the characters.

Other than the inconsistency in Vietnamese diacritics and things that I suspect to be factual inaccuracies (e.g. Tien Giang being the first of the nine 'dragons' of Mekong, the popularity of The Tale of Kieu in Southern Vietnam at the time, a Vietnamese woman wearing a piece of white cloth on her head as a turban), I think the description of Indochina isn't bad or unbelievable.
Sandy
Oct 30, 2008 Sandy rated it liked it
Recommended to Sandy by: found it on some shelf somewhere
Shelves: vietnam-se-asia
Okay story of a french woman who leaves her husband & children to follow her lover to Cochinchina (Vietnam) in 1900. Some rich and beautiful imagery of life in Asia in that time.... having been to S.E. Asia I felt I could smell the frangiapani and the hibiscus and the heady scents of night in the region..... interesting from the standpoint of learning something about the life & attitudes of the 'cols' (colonials) at the time (Vietnam was a french colony at the time).
Nadine Jones
Aug 19, 2008 Nadine Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The imagined story of Texier's real-life great-grandmother, Victorine, who left her husband in France to live in Indochine w/ another man for several years. Engaging and sensual, similar in feel to Texier's earlier books. The character of Victorine is very sympathetic. This has made me very interested in reading Texier's other recent book, Breakup, about the break up of her own marriage after her husband left her for another woman.
Tori
2010- The story of a French woman who leaves her family to travel with her lover to Indochina is based on the author's great-grandmother. I first I wasn't sure I was going to like the author's sparse style or be able to relate to the main character. However, I thought the author did a great job of portraying Victorine's inner turmoil, while making the settings come alive.
Michelle
Nov 10, 2008 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I remembered about a chapter into it that I had already read it years ago. It really reminded me about what my mother must have felt like...not to comfortable of a feeling. Hummm, I wonder what my life would have been like if my mother had done what Texier's grandmother did...thankfully I will never know.
Renee
Aug 09, 2009 Renee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
French woman leaves her husband and children to run away with her lover to Indochina. I enjoyed learning about the setting a lot- Indochina, Asian clothes and food, opium dens, etc.- but the story was just okay.

Find more book reviews at A Quick Red Fox.
Christina V
Feb 19, 2015 Christina V rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The main character was hard to care for and the book went into far too much detail about extraneous details which really made it drag on too long. It was for book club so I make it through the book - mostly! :)
Martine Taylor
Aug 06, 2011 Martine Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mom and I both really liked this novel. Not quite sure why. Maybe the romantic notion of running away to China. Maybe it is the way the heroine is not quite satisfied with a run-of-the-mill life.
David
May 05, 2009 David rated it really liked it
Texier writes beautiful prose. I kept getting reminded of an oil painting while I read. I felt like I could just keep looking at the delicate brushstrokes. Wonderfully crafted.
poohtitin
yah ini buku so..so..lah
lumayan menarik karena mengorek kisah masa lalu
tapi gak ada sesuatu yang bikin greget
Darnay Wasinger
Darnay Wasinger rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2009
Bev
Bev rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2010
Allyson
Allyson rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2009
Marsha
Marsha rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2011
Kathleen Crowell
Kathleen Crowell rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2011
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2011
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2012
Joyful
Joyful rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2010
Diamondgemstones
Diamondgemstones rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2012
P Mcdonald
P Mcdonald rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Dona Krueger
Dona Krueger rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2009
Marta
Marta rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2013
  • The Portable Dante
  • Mosaic
  • The Debba
  • Poor Miss Finch
  • Ten Thousand Lovers (Tel Aviv Trilogy #1)