Victorine

Victorine

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In 1899, Victorine Texier abandons her small French village, her husband, and her two young children to follow her lover to Indochina. She has fallen for Antoine, her childhood sweetheart, and when his work sends him to Asia she is compelled to go with him, and to leave everything she knows behind. Their five weeks together onboard the ship to Indochina are a kind of honey...more
Published April 12th 2005 by Anchor (first published January 1st 2004)

Sharyn
Dana Stabenow
Erin
I am tripping OUT how low the ratings are for this book. We just read this for book club and it was a smash hit with everyone. Personally, I did have trouble at first with the actual topic. Maybe other people did as well? It's about a woman at the turn of the 20th century who bails out on her husband and two children to follow a childhood crush to Indochina. I was frankly pissed at her for the first quarter of the book! Crazy for the time, yes. Crazy now, in my opinion, which is the core of my i...more
Lisa
An interesting book with vivid descriptions of life in Indochina. Victorine, married with two children, leaves an unhappy marriage and escapes to Indochina with her childhood sweetheart. They build a life there in the hot, humid weather, exotic flowers and swirls of opium smoke. Then, after 10 years, she goes back to France, back to her husband. She starts out planning to finally end things with him - ask for a divorce, explain things to her children - but she stays, has another child, lives out...more
Bonnie Gayle
Jul 08, 2007 Bonnie Gayle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who enjoy books about Victorian era Asia, romance readers
This story is about the author's Great Grandmother, who, while married with 2 kids, ran off to Indochine with the man she was in love with. The author 'filled in' her time in Indochine, so it is fiction based on family history. I liked this book, but I found it hard to like the main character, Victorine. She never seemed happy, no matter where she was and who she was with, and I could never personally leave any children I had behind, no matter what, so it was hard to connect with her. Despite al...more
Andrea
Very slow moving; I didn't even finish this book because it seemed to take forever.
Sandy
Oct 30, 2008 Sandy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sandy by: found it on some shelf somewhere
Shelves: vietnam-se-asia
Okay story of a french woman who leaves her husband & children to follow her lover to Cochinchina (Vietnam) in 1900. Some rich and beautiful imagery of life in Asia in that time.... having been to S.E. Asia I felt I could smell the frangiapani and the hibiscus and the heady scents of night in the region..... interesting from the standpoint of learning something about the life & attitudes of the 'cols' (colonials) at the time (Vietnam was a french colony at the time).
Nadine Jones
The imagined story of Texier's real-life great-grandmother, Victorine, who left her husband in France to live in Indochine w/ another man for several years. Engaging and sensual, similar in feel to Texier's earlier books. The character of Victorine is very sympathetic. This has made me very interested in reading Texier's other recent book, Breakup, about the break up of her own marriage after her husband left her for another woman.
Tori
2010- The story of a French woman who leaves her family to travel with her lover to Indochina is based on the author's great-grandmother. I first I wasn't sure I was going to like the author's sparse style or be able to relate to the main character. However, I thought the author did a great job of portraying Victorine's inner turmoil, while making the settings come alive.
Michelle
I remembered about a chapter into it that I had already read it years ago. It really reminded me about what my mother must have felt like...not to comfortable of a feeling. Hummm, I wonder what my life would have been like if my mother had done what Texier's grandmother did...thankfully I will never know.
Renee
French woman leaves her husband and children to run away with her lover to Indochina. I enjoyed learning about the setting a lot- Indochina, Asian clothes and food, opium dens, etc.- but the story was just okay.

Find more book reviews at A Quick Red Fox.
Martine Taylor
My mom and I both really liked this novel. Not quite sure why. Maybe the romantic notion of running away to China. Maybe it is the way the heroine is not quite satisfied with a run-of-the-mill life.
David
Texier writes beautiful prose. I kept getting reminded of an oil painting while I read. I felt like I could just keep looking at the delicate brushstrokes. Wonderfully crafted.
poohtitin
yah ini buku so..so..lah
lumayan menarik karena mengorek kisah masa lalu
tapi gak ada sesuatu yang bikin greget
Michelle
Loved this book! Loved the flow, the pauses, and the fact that it's based on the author's relative.
Danielle
I read the first chapter but I just didn't care. Maybe I'll get back to it.
Alicia
Predictable and girly, but occasionally entertaining.
Laura Lee
1900 Saigon. Hard to read in some places. Interesting.
Michele St John
Victorine: A Novel by Catherine Texier (2004)
Joan Keating
Well written, engrossing, passionate. Good read
Shoshi Glazer
Shoshi Glazer marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Casea Peterson
Casea Peterson marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Raquel Romero
Raquel Romero marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Adela Holda
Adela Holda marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Fiordiligii
Fiordiligii marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
ilona
ilona marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Breakup: The End of a Love Story Love Me Tender Panic Blood Les Draps Neufs Texte Aus Der Umwelt Des Alten Testaments. Neue Folge   Band 1