Start by marking “The Assassin (Selena McCaffrey, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin (Selena McCaffrey, #1)

The Assassin (Selena McCaffrey #1)

Selena McCaffrey knows what it’s like to fight for your life, to hone your body until it’s sharp and to never let down your guard–for anyone. A beautiful artist with a dark, painful past, Selena also knows how to keep secrets. With a .40-caliber Smith & Wesson and a double-edged dagger packed in her bags, Selena is leaving Key West for the American heartland. She’s ...more
Published March 29th 2005 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Assassin

Tina
Selena McAffrey is just one of the names she uses. By the time she was fourteen, she had lived with three sets of foster parents, had been called by several names, had been beaten, mistreated, taught to steal and was bring groomed to be a whore.

But one night in an alley, she met her savior. A man who killed her assailant, sent her to school, allowed her to indulge her passion for art. She owed him her life. But he wanted to own her soul.

The underlying mystery in this book is quite interesting. S
ElaineY
Jul 06, 2008 ElaineY rated it did not like it
Shelves: touch-of-romance, mf
The plot had all the potential of a great romantic suspense but unfortunately Butler is not a skilled storyteller for me. The years between 14 year-old Selena's rescue from rape and her eventual summons to meet with her saviour is completely ignored and the grown up Selena I meet is very well able to protect herself but I have no idea why this woman is what she is - obsessed with Davis.

Butler tells us Davis has been grooming Selena to take over his drug business when the time comes yet Davis ha
Netha
Sep 26, 2010 Netha rated it liked it
Alina
This book was ok. It was neither bad nor am I probably ever gonna read it again but overall, it was good enough.

The story is interesting and the case of the murders and Selena's dilemma all made for a nice, suspenseful read.

I also totally liked the surprising turn of events at the the end of the book.

However, I didn't like the way that Butler resolved the conflict between Tony and Selena. It felt way to hush-hush, like she didn't really know how to do it or had only a few pages left to do it, so
T.M. Carper
Aug 05, 2011 T.M. Carper rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Very interesting book that is the first in a series. I picked up when I visited a different local library original based on the title and the fact that there was a blurb from Lisa Gardner. I loved it. Great characters, lots of twists, and plently of action and suspense.
Anandh Sundar
Oct 02, 2011 Anandh Sundar rated it really liked it
The book is the first one in the series, with a predictable end. Still, the novelty of the plot deserves a good rating. Nice one starring a female detective.
Bob
Jul 07, 2012 Bob rated it really liked it
A fun book. However, you would think Selena would know the difference between a clip and a magazine.
Qing
Jan 14, 2011 Qing rated it liked it
Meh, not too shabby. Little twists kept it interesting, dragged on for just a teensy bit. 2nd book looks promising
LadyTechie
Jul 20, 2012 LadyTechie rated it it was amazing
Although this book was not what I was expecting it was still a good read. Great action, relationships and a great story.
Nicola Solomon
Nicola Solomon rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2013
Rowan
Rowan rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2012
P
P rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2010
Kelli
Kelli rated it it was ok
Oct 15, 2010
Bill
Bill rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
B
B rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2011
Siddhardha
Siddhardha rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2013
Ursula
Ursula rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2010
Pat Cromwell
Pat Cromwell rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2009
Ogechi Wosu
Ogechi Wosu rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Chris Turner
Chris Turner rated it liked it
May 21, 2013
Khadija
Khadija rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2015
Ramon Sunico
Ramon Sunico rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2010
Teresa
Teresa rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2013
John Englett
John Englett rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2010
Sophie
Sophie rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Justine L2r
Justine L2r rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2009
Maryann
Maryann rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2008
Susan Davis
Susan Davis rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Last Girl Dancing
  • All Jacked Up
  • Dangerous Deception (The Protectors, #27)
  • Before Dawn Breaks
  • Share No Secrets
  • Watching Amanda
  • A.K.A. Jane (Jane Nichols, #1)
  • Kiss of Death
  • No Escape
  • Sight Unseen
  • Diary of a Radical Mermaid (Waterlilies, #2)
  • Gentleman Takes a Chance (Shifters, #2)
  • Circle Of Five (A Cass Shipton Mystery, #1)
  • Fear the Night (Night, #5)
  • Second Sunrise (Lee Nez, #1)
  • Inferno
  • Fan Mail (Sophie Anderson, #3)
  • What She Doesn't Know

Selena McCaffrey (3 books)
  • Deep Cover (Selena McCaffrey, #2)
  • Scorched (Selena McCaffrey, #3)

“Did everyone have their Wheaties this morning? ‘Cause it’s time to gift wrap Chubs here and carry him outside.”
Everyone groaned except Maria, who flashed a simpering smile. “I’m a girl. I don’t lift bodies.”
“Bullshit,” Flint retorted. “I’ve seen you bench-press your own weight.”
Maria turned. “Honey, I can bench-press your weight, but that doesn’t mean I’m gonna help.”
0 likes