A Brief History of British Kings & Queens

A Brief History of British Kings & Queens (Brief History)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A reference on British royalty, from the legendary King Alfred the Great onwards, including the monarchies of England, Scotland, Wales and the United Kingdom over a thousand years. Portraits are woven into a history of division and eventual union of the British Isles -and even the royals we think most familiar are shown in a sometimes surprising light. This paperback, a re...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Robinson Publishing (first published 1998)

Paul
Easily the best, most accesible and easily readable book on not just the history of the British monarchy but to a certain extent the country itself and how each influenced the other.

I've read books on the same subject in the past but they have preferred to just resort to reciting by rote all the agreed information and it feeling like one big list.
I'll be honest, the post Tudor world has never interested me so I didn't read that section but what I read up to there was remarkably well elucidated a...more
Amanda
A great primer on the entire history of British kings and queens. A few minor points I disagreed with the author on, but also enlightening for the later periods of the monarchy, which I am less familiar with. Definitely a good reference book! Would have liked an inclusion of Irish monarchs, as was presented for Scotland and Wales, but I suppose that's a whole other book, haha.
Fergie
With the rich, long history of Britain, it's a credit to any writer or historian who takes on the task of thoroughly researching the topic. This book explores the vast roots of English history, beginning with commentary of the region before the birth of Christ. From Queen Boadicea of the ancient Brits who fought against the tyranny of Roman occupation right up to the present Queen, this book does more than an admirable job of explaining the origins of the resilient, defiant nature of the inhabit...more
Ericy Yine
This book is about the leaders of Britain, from when the Celts first came to the islands to Modern Britain, about all the known information on these kings or queens, in detail, like the birth and death dates, what they did, whom they married, etc. It talks about the major headstones of their lives, and some information never seen before.

I picked up this book after reading A Brief History of: 1917 Russia's Year of Revolution, and found that the book is just as detailed as the 1917 book. I finishe...more
Claire
The first word that comes to mind when reviewing this book is this: Comprehensive.

Every single monarch in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales that was ever known about, is in this book. The amount of information it feeds is almost exhausting. Near the end I was like "MORE monarchs?!" there has been so, so many you can't even begin to imagine.

Some, like Arthur, are myths based on factual events, or are only mentioned in one or two sources. There are so many things we will never know because of...more
Nadine
This author assumes that the reader lives in the UK and you happen to know where all the regions are located. The interesting thing though is that he covers all monarchs from 100 BC and all regions, but I ended up just skipping all those parts as I couldn't pronounce the names or the places (especially the welsh names how the heck to do you say "ap"?). Also he covers each one so quickly you can't even get the chronology straight in your head. The book does have good geneological tables though.
Ali
Well, you certainly do get what the title advertises with this one! I would have liked more backround information on many of the people and events referenced throughout. It probably doesn't help that I'm not a Brit, and therefore haven't been raised on British history in as much detail as was the intended audience of this book.

Very good overview, though, and good to have on hand to refresh memory of what, say, Henry II was known for, other than, say, Thomas Beckett's death.
Rebecca Curtis
I have ready many a history of the royalty of England and GB but this one was full of information and very easy to read, I have had this book sitting on my shelf for way too long and it made for a very fun travel read. I find that no matter how much I think I already know about the monarchs of GB that I can always learn more and in this book I did. I recommend it to anyone who is not wanting too many details but a concise overview.
Nicole Yovanoff
it was a pretty dry read at first and picked up a little. A bit of a problem for a person not familiar with the geography of Great Britain since I do not really know where many of the locations that they speak of. Sussex, Kent, Cornwall mean nothing to me just as people of the UK would not know Flin Flon, Moose Jaw, Sherebrooke (Nova Scotia or Quebec). Other than that, good information and interesting read.
Yu Chen
I got the book at the Heathrow Airport and used it as a guide book during my trip to Glasgow and London.

It helped a lot while i was trying to figure out all their kings and queens with so few choices of names. haha

I was able to finish the book by the end of the week-long trip, mission impossible with two kids tagging along on any of my trips now. :)
Irene
Excellent reading!! Loads of information, sometimes a bit confusing, but absolutely interesting.
I remember the first time I saw this book, it was at the souvenirs area in Hampton Court. Although I thought about buying it I didn't, but after a couple of months I decided to order it and I'm really glad I did it.
Daniel Kukwa
Another useful and very readable treasure trove of information. However, it doesn't quite match up to its Antonia Fraser-edited counterpart volume, because of (1) a few odd choices in the chronological entries, and (2) the lack of punchy writing styles that Ms. Fraser was able to collect for her own volume.
Marylu Sanok
Sep 03, 2011 Marylu Sanok rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs only
Recommended to Marylu by: research
Shelves: history
This book was for study on only certain kings and queens as a follow up to some other books I have read on English kings and queens.

The data was concise and well organized and had lists of topics I had not seen before.
Glorious.Clio
An excellent overview of nearly a thousand years of the British monarchy. A wonderful and interesting read! I'm glad I read it before I went to London, that's for sure!
Leah
I read this as research for a book of my own. It was really interesting. Now that I think about it...I should really get started on that book.
Jacinta Hoare
Concise reference book - I think I will refer to this again in the event I forget the order of the succession.
Luke433
Good overview of the British monarchy, handy reference material if one has a future query
Desiree
Great introduction to the history of the British monarchy
Kimberlee
Full of great references to British history.
Amy Cotterman
Know your monarchs .. you might be on Jeopardy!
Larry Farnsworth
A great help when tracing geneology
Christopher Green
Really good basic reference
Josette
It's not brief enough!
Mark
Good reference book.
Heather
Heather is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2014
Sonia
Sonia added it
Jul 15, 2014
Liam Kelleway
Liam Kelleway marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
  • A Brief History Of The Tudor Age
  • A Brief History of Henry VIII
  • The Last White Rose: Dynasty, Rebellion And Treason   The Secret Wars Against The Tudors
  • In Triumph's Wake: Royal Mothers, Tragic Daughters, and the Price They Paid for Glory
  • Royal Affairs: A Lusty Romp Through the Extramarital Adventures That Rocked the British Monarchy
  • Tower: An Epic History of the Tower of London
  • House Of Treason: The Rise And Fall Of A Tudor Dynasty
  • Monarchy: England and Her Rulers from the Tudors to the Windsors
  • The Most Evil Men And Women In History
  • The Greatest Traitor: The Life of Sir Roger Mortimer, Ruler of England 1327-1330
  • Strange and Secret Peoples: Fairies and Victorian Consciousness
  • Royal Panoply: Brief Lives of the English Monarchs
  • The Celts: A History
  • Temples, Tombs & Hieroglyphs: A Popular History of Ancient Egypt
  • Ecstasies: Deciphering the Witches' Sabbath
  • Katherine Swynford: The Story of John of Gaunt and His Scandalous Duchess
  • A Brief History of Infinity: The Quest to Think the Unthinkable
  • Doomed Queens: Royal Women Who Met Bad Ends, From Cleopatra to Princess Di
Michael Raymond Donald Ashley is the author and editor of over sixty books that in total have sold over a million copies worldwide. He lives in Chatham, Kent.
More about Mike Ashley...
The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II The Mammoth Book Of Extreme Science Fiction The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF