Start by marking “Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting” as Want to Read:
Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting

Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,563 ratings  ·  107 reviews
At last, here is a concept book with a sense of humor and a satisfying story.Poor Dog. Somehow he always manages to be underfoot when someone makes a mess. Red jam, blue paint, pink ice cream, orange juice -- the history of his day is splattered on his bright, white coat. And by evening, there are ten colorful spots for children to count before the careless canine must hav ...more
Published March 1st 2001 by Dutton Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Dog's Colorful Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog's Colorful Day

Doc Tails by Othen Donald Dale CummingsGo, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanThe Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyHarry the Dirty Dog by Gene ZionClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman Bridwell
Picture Books About Dogs
45th out of 226 books — 106 voters
A Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.My Many Colored Days by Dr. SeussA Color of His Own by Leo LionniFreight Train by Donald Crews
Best Children's Books About Colors
17th out of 95 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

Jermeria Daniel
I would use this book to talk about colors. After reading the book students can color their own dog with spots and create a story of how the dog received them.
What's not to like about Dodd's "messy story featuring colors and counting" starring Dog?
It's big.
It's bright.
It's simple.
There are plenty of prompts for involving children ...
"Splat!" (clap hands)
"Splish!" (clap hands)
"Squash!" (roll hands-- dog is ROLLING on the grass)
"Squish!" (pat legs -- boy is PATTING dog)
"Swish!" (wave hands like bee wings -- bee is dropping pollen)
"Splosh!" (clap hands)
"Splash!" (clap hands or pat legs -- ball splashes into puddle and SPLATTERS mud)
"Splurt!" (clap hands
Holly Sandefer
This entertaining book is about a dog who seems to find himself at the wrong place at the wrong time, becoming messy. Dog gets covered in jam, mud, grass, marker and icecream, to name a few explanations for his additional spots. This book is great for counting and identifying colors. Children can also make predictions about how Dog will acquire his next spot. The spots are eventually washed off when Dog gets a bath.
Alyson Long
Dodd, Emma. Dog’s Colorful Day: A Messy Story about Colors and Counting. Dutton Children’s Books. 2001. 32 p. Ages 2-5.

Counting to ten and knowing the basic colors is an essential skill for young readers, and that is exactly what this book covers. As the main character, Dog, takes a stroll through town, he acquires various colors of spots on his back to go along with his own original black spot. His owner realizes that he now has ten total spots on his back, which means he needs a bath. At the e
4 enthusiastic stars from the 5 year old critics in my house for this charming and goofy book. Rotund Dog wanders along picking up spots of different colors - complete with wonderful sound effects - eventually to a spotless finish. Big bright bold illustrations and the charmingly drawn dog were a big hit.
Another simple dog story (See Hondo & Fabian, A Good Day and Mutt Dog) that is along the lines of Pete the cat minus the repetitive phrase or song.
Dog keeps running into different colors throughout the day, leaving him messy with multicolored spots.
What I like about this book is that you can pop the story out of the book by creating a felt Dog with spots you can add on during the story.

Or you can draw Dog on a white board and use dry erase markers t
Kate Hastings
Jul 08, 2007 Kate Hastings rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Colors/storytime
One of my favorite books to teach colors. Easy to make a flannel dog with colored spots for children to play with.
My daughter loved this book, with good reason. Not just because she's obsessed with dogs and balls (or just circles in general); because it's a great lighthearted colorful tale full of amusing sound effects. Though this book is held back from being perfect due to the irresponsible nature of the tale. (view spoiler) ...more
This is just begging to be a felt board story. Without the book, this could easily be done with toddlers. With the preschool kids I think I will include the book and work on colors and counting with them.

1/30/13 & 1/31/13: Wonderful book! Kids and parents both loved it. I know a lot use this book in storytimes, so I searched the Internet and found one to cut out--including spots. You tape the dog into a manila folder. Then put the spots on the dog. It was great--and faster/easier to prepare
Amy Holliday
Comments on the Story:
The story is entertaining and funny. It even has a bit of foreshadowing as the bone Dog has for breakfast is comprised of all the colors he will eventually have as spots on his white fur. I think spills appeal to children (and even adults like myself) because children (and adults) often end up multi-colored by the end of the day depending on what has dropped, splotted, or dribbled onto them. At the end of the book, doggy is dreaming about bones in all the colors that he had
Elle Markov
This is a favorite of mine and children absolutely love it. The story follows Dog as he goes about his day picking up colorful spots. By the end of the day Dog has ten spots in different colors.

Children learn to count to ten and they learn different colors; I always turn this one into a game of guessing what color Dog's next spot might be, it keeps the children very involved in the story.

Rating 5 out of 5
I guess that's the difference between canines and felines. My cat (or any cat I know) would never tolerate all of that mess on her fur, especially for such a long period of time. That said, for I thought that the dog would at least lick off the jam and the chocolate...

(and yes, the little boy refused to give the dog chocolate, but really would the dog not have licked it off his coat?)
I liked this book, it reminded my of Harry the Dirty Dog. It does a good job showing the different colors that get on the dog. i would use this book to talk about colors as well as the importance of taking baths. I would find a picture of a dog and have them create splotches on it then write a story about how the dog got so colorful/dirty. I like how this book also used counting.
Jess Gould
This book goes over so well during story time! I have a large dog print out and have children help place the blobs of color on the dog as the story moves along. Great for interactive and educational preschool story time as well as for children who are on the spectrum. Fun book!!
I loved this delightful little book about a dog who gets all sorts of colorful drops on him throughout the day. It teaches colors and numbers in such a fun way. My 15 month old wasn't too enthused by it, so I would recommend it for two and up.
Tatianna Jones
Great book for recognizing numbers and colors, this book includes action words and descriptive illustrations. It's short and easy to read. Dog's Colorful Day focuses on a loving and healthy relationship between a young girl and her dog.
Good for several different storytime themes - dogs, counting, colors. This is a four-star book for preschoolers, three-star for toddlers; had to abridge it when reading it for toddler storytime. Adapts well into a flannel.
Dog starts the day out with one black spot on his coat. By the end of the day, he gets 10 spots of all different colors on him.

Fun color book for preschool or toddler storytime.
Crystal Jackson
Awesome book! This book is a great book about colors! After you read the book, you can see if your children or students remember what caused each color to stain the Dog's fur.
This one was a delightful color book. I mean I've read a lot of kids books, and for something somewhat original to come along that the kids enjoy, is worth mentioning as special.
This is a great story about colors and counting to ten to use in a pre-school storytime. Fun and bright, this story has a curious dog who wants more spots. Great read!
Miss Sarah
dog has eventful day where he goes about town getting things dripped on him to make different colored spots. A good counting and color book for younger kids.
Dog starts his day with one black spot on his left ear, and as the day progresses, dog adds more colored spots. Splat! Splosh! Splurt! With sound effects dog gets a red spot from a drip of jam, a pink spot from the an ice cream, an orange spot from a orange juice, and by the end of the day the dog is covered with a rainbow of ten spots. Following dog through his day is a fun way for a child to learn colors and counting them along the way integrates numbers also. Before dog finally takes a bath t ...more
Cute one to do with the older story time group as we got to do colors, counting, and a flannel board. Would definitely do this one again.
Cute! Really fun for kids to see the different colors. It was fun for a memory game to try to remember where the spots came from too.
Summary:Dog is a white dog with one black spot on his ear. Throughout the book, he has a mishap and ends up with a different colored spot on his fur. In all, he adds 9 new spots to his fur. The last pages review the spots.

It is nice to see if the kids can identify the colors and remember where he got that spot from. For example, the red spot was from some jam that fell on him from the table. This is a great book to use with story time for either a dog theme, a colors theme, or counting theme.

Fun read. The colors and counting the spots had the kids glued to the book and counting along every time Dog got a new spot.
lots of opportunity for interaction talking to kids about both colors and counting the spots
Mar 12, 2015 Laura added it
Very cute story....colors and counting. Makes a great flannel board presentation.
Great for storytime. I have used this with several preschool groups.
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • Lemons Are Not Red
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Clip-Clop
  • Monsters Love Colors
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Blue Goose
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • One Pup's Up
  • Hi, Pizza Man!
  • I Know a Wee Piggy
  • Hooray For Fish!
Emma Dodd Author/Illustrator

Emma was brought up in Guildford, Surrey, in a family of artists and from as far back as she can remember she has wanted to be an illustrator.
Emma studied Graphic Design and Illustration at Central Saint Martin's School of Art and has worked extensively in advertising, editorial and book illustration.
She was nominated for the Booktrust Early Years Award in 2006 for her