Start by marking “Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting” as Want to Read:
Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting

Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,861 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
At last, here is a concept book with a sense of humor and a satisfying story.Poor Dog. Somehow he always manages to be underfoot when someone makes a mess. Red jam, blue paint, pink ice cream, orange juice -- the history of his day is splattered on his bright, white coat. And by evening, there are ten colorful spots for children to count before the careless canine must hav ...more
Published March 1st 2001 by Dutton Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Dog's Colorful Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog's Colorful Day

A Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.My Many Colored Days by Dr. SeussA Color of His Own by Leo LionniFreight Train by Donald Crews
Best Children's Books About Colors
13th out of 100 books — 69 voters
Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanDoc Tails by Othen Donald Dale CummingsThe Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyHarry the Dirty Dog by Gene ZionClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman Bridwell
Picture Books About Dogs
47th out of 239 books — 113 voters

More lists with this book...

Vivian
Sep 15, 2015 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What's not to like about Dodd's "messy story featuring colors and counting" starring Dog?
It's big.
It's bright.
It's simple.
There are plenty of prompts for involving children ...
"Splat!" (clap hands)
"Splish!" (clap hands)
"Squash!" (roll hands-- dog is ROLLING on the grass)
"Squish!" (pat legs -- boy is PATTING dog)
"Swish!" (wave hands like bee wings -- bee is dropping pollen)
"Splosh!" (clap hands)
"Splash!" (clap hands or pat legs -- ball splashes into puddle and SPLATTERS mud)
"Splurt!" (clap hands
Jermeria Daniel
Jul 10, 2015 Jermeria Daniel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: color
I would use this book to talk about colors. After reading the book students can color their own dog with spots and create a story of how the dog received them.
Holly Sandefer
This entertaining book is about a dog who seems to find himself at the wrong place at the wrong time, becoming messy. Dog gets covered in jam, mud, grass, marker and icecream, to name a few explanations for his additional spots. This book is great for counting and identifying colors. Children can also make predictions about how Dog will acquire his next spot. The spots are eventually washed off when Dog gets a bath.
Laura McLoughlin
Featured at a recent story time. The kids loved it and it worked very well as a flannel board story. Cute illustrations. Makes me glad that my dog is black, no one would know if he is covered in various food substances (of course, he would clean himself up....)
Alyson Long
Nov 14, 2015 Alyson Long rated it really liked it
Dodd, Emma. Dog’s Colorful Day: A Messy Story about Colors and Counting. Dutton Children’s Books. 2001. 32 p. Ages 2-5.

Counting to ten and knowing the basic colors is an essential skill for young readers, and that is exactly what this book covers. As the main character, Dog, takes a stroll through town, he acquires various colors of spots on his back to go along with his own original black spot. His owner realizes that he now has ten total spots on his back, which means he needs a bath. At the e
Hallie Jackson Brackett
May 28, 2016 Hallie Jackson Brackett rated it really liked it
The good: Such a cute concept for a counting book. I like that there was a specific narrative structure used here. We weren't just counting random things on the page as we went along. Everything built in a way that will make sense for preschool through grade 1 students. Those who are younger might have a bit of trouble connecting the dots but would likely still enjoy the story. Kids get messy often so they're familiar with the concept of having colorful days.

The bad: I really hated these illust
Lynn
Sep 26, 2008 Lynn rated it really liked it
4 enthusiastic stars from the 5 year old critics in my house for this charming and goofy book. Rotund Dog wanders along picking up spots of different colors - complete with wonderful sound effects - eventually to a spotless finish. Big bright bold illustrations and the charmingly drawn dog were a big hit.
Camille
Another simple dog story (See Hondo & Fabian, A Good Day and Mutt Dog) that is along the lines of Pete the cat minus the repetitive phrase or song.
Dog keeps running into different colors throughout the day, leaving him messy with multicolored spots.
What I like about this book is that you can pop the story out of the book by creating a felt Dog with spots you can add on during the story.

Or you can draw Dog on a white board and use dry erase markers t
Crystal
Jan 28, 2016 Crystal rated it it was amazing
At first I thought this was going to be a 2 star review thanks to my first morning storytime but the second one changed it all! I used it with a storyboard and let the kids help me put the spots on the dog and then they helped count. The first group of kids, preschool age, didn't want anything to do with putting on the dots or counting. (Not sure if they were tired, cranky, or just shy.) The second group with mostly toddlers absolutely loved it! They were happy when I called them out to help and ...more
Kate Hastings
Jul 08, 2007 Kate Hastings rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Colors/storytime
One of my favorite books to teach colors. Easy to make a flannel dog with colored spots for children to play with.
Russell
May 22, 2014 Russell rated it really liked it
My daughter loved this book, with good reason. Not just because she's obsessed with dogs and balls (or just circles in general); because it's a great lighthearted colorful tale full of amusing sound effects. Though this book is held back from being perfect due to the irresponsible nature of the tale. (view spoiler) ...more
Heidi
This is just begging to be a felt board story. Without the book, this could easily be done with toddlers. With the preschool kids I think I will include the book and work on colors and counting with them.

1/30/13 & 1/31/13: Wonderful book! Kids and parents both loved it. I know a lot use this book in storytimes, so I searched the Internet and found one to cut out--including spots. You tape the dog into a manila folder. Then put the spots on the dog. It was great--and faster/easier to prepare
Amy Holliday
May 14, 2008 Amy Holliday rated it it was amazing
Comments on the Story:
The story is entertaining and funny. It even has a bit of foreshadowing as the bone Dog has for breakfast is comprised of all the colors he will eventually have as spots on his white fur. I think spills appeal to children (and even adults like myself) because children (and adults) often end up multi-colored by the end of the day depending on what has dropped, splotted, or dribbled onto them. At the end of the book, doggy is dreaming about bones in all the colors that he had
Elle Markov
Apr 27, 2015 Elle Markov rated it it was amazing
This is a favorite of mine and children absolutely love it. The story follows Dog as he goes about his day picking up colorful spots. By the end of the day Dog has ten spots in different colors.

Children learn to count to ten and they learn different colors; I always turn this one into a game of guessing what color Dog's next spot might be, it keeps the children very involved in the story.

Rating 5 out of 5
Read@Book
Susan
Sep 20, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, storybook
I guess that's the difference between canines and felines. My cat (or any cat I know) would never tolerate all of that mess on her fur, especially for such a long period of time. That said, for I thought that the dog would at least lick off the jam and the chocolate...

(and yes, the little boy refused to give the dog chocolate, but really would the dog not have licked it off his coat?)
I liked this book, it reminded my of Harry the Dirty Dog. It does a good job showing the different colors that get on the dog. i would use this book to talk about colors as well as the importance of taking baths. I would find a picture of a dog and have them create splotches on it then write a story about how the dog got so colorful/dirty. I like how this book also used counting.
Jess Gould
Jun 09, 2015 Jess Gould rated it it was amazing
This book goes over so well during story time! I have a large dog print out and have children help place the blobs of color on the dog as the story moves along. Great for interactive and educational preschool story time as well as for children who are on the spectrum. Fun book!!
Gina (Weena)
Feb 08, 2015 Gina (Weena) rated it it was amazing
I loved this delightful little book about a dog who gets all sorts of colorful drops on him throughout the day. It teaches colors and numbers in such a fun way. My 15 month old wasn't too enthused by it, so I would recommend it for two and up.
Tatianna Jones
Jul 05, 2015 Tatianna Jones rated it it was amazing
Great book for recognizing numbers and colors, this book includes action words and descriptive illustrations. It's short and easy to read. Dog's Colorful Day focuses on a loving and healthy relationship between a young girl and her dog.
Katterley
May 16, 2016 Katterley rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story to read to children that have pets or would like one, in a class or program involving colors &/or counting, or just for the fun of it, as it is, indeed fun, and the illustrations are beautifully eye-catching!
Kate
Feb 28, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Good for several different storytime themes - dogs, counting, colors. This is a four-star book for preschoolers, three-star for toddlers; had to abridge it when reading it for toddler storytime. Adapts well into a flannel.
Verona
Apr 21, 2016 Verona rated it it was amazing
I love children's books. This one was so fun! It is big, colorful, clear, with interesting adventures for little ones to experience. Children would love the adventures without realizing they were learning colors and counting along the way. I can't wait to give this book to my littlest grandchildren to enjoy.
Erin
Aug 06, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
Dog starts the day out with one black spot on his coat. By the end of the day, he gets 10 spots of all different colors on him.

Fun color book for preschool or toddler storytime.
Crystal Jackson
Jul 14, 2014 Crystal Jackson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, animals, colors
Awesome book! This book is a great book about colors! After you read the book, you can see if your children or students remember what caused each color to stain the Dog's fur.
Heather
Apr 19, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
This one was a delightful color book. I mean I've read a lot of kids books, and for something somewhat original to come along that the kids enjoy, is worth mentioning as special.
Miss Sarah
May 04, 2015 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
dog has eventful day where he goes about town getting things dripped on him to make different colored spots. A good counting and color book for younger kids.
Audrey
Apr 06, 2009 Audrey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: colors
Dog starts his day with one black spot on his left ear, and as the day progresses, dog adds more colored spots. Splat! Splosh! Splurt! With sound effects dog gets a red spot from a drip of jam, a pink spot from the an ice cream, an orange spot from a orange juice, and by the end of the day the dog is covered with a rainbow of ten spots. Following dog through his day is a fun way for a child to learn colors and counting them along the way integrates numbers also. Before dog finally takes a bath t ...more
Stacie Herbert
This was a great read! We practiced colors and counting on every page! Plus the additional sound effects made for a great read over and over again!
Jess
May 11, 2015 Jess rated it really liked it
Cute one to do with the older story time group as we got to do colors, counting, and a flannel board. Would definitely do this one again.
Whitney
Oct 07, 2014 Whitney rated it really liked it
Cute! Really fun for kids to see the different colors. It was fun for a memory game to try to remember where the spots came from too.
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • Clip-Clop
  • Lemons Are Not Red
  • Duckie's Rainbow
  • Monsters Love Colors
  • One Pup's Up
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • Blue Goose
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • Bear Sees Colors
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • Jump!
  • Hi, Pizza Man!
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • I Know a Wee Piggy
Emma Dodd Author/Illustrator

Emma was brought up in Guildford, Surrey, in a family of artists and from as far back as she can remember she has wanted to be an illustrator.
Emma studied Graphic Design and Illustration at Central Saint Martin's School of Art and has worked extensively in advertising, editorial and book illustration.
She was nominated for the Booktrust Early Years Award in 2006 for her