Start by marking “Katje” as Want to Read:
Katje

Katje

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Based on a true story over 500 years old, this is the story of Katje, the windmill cat, who lives with the miller. When he gets married Katje is driven from the house, and moves into the windmill. When a storm breaks the dyke, Katje performs an extraordinary feat of courage, and is welcomed home.
Published August 6th 2001 by Walker Books Ltd (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Katje, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katje

Kathryn
Based on the true story of the 1421 Elizabeth's Day Flood in South Holland, this is the story of Katje, the windmill cat, who is not welcomed by the miller's new wife but eventually saves the day.

I love the illustrations here! Nicola Bayley really knows cats and does a lovely, charming job portraying them in her work. I especially loved this one because we have a calico cat ;-) They bumped this up to a four star for me.

However, the story made me rather sad. I don't think there is anything exactl
Lisa Vegan
Pictures: Gorgeous and just wonderful.

Story: Made me very sad and very angry, even though there is a happy ending to this historical fiction tale. Hated the new wife for quite some time! Hated that a loving cat, a treasured family member, was pushed aside, first for the wife, then for the new baby. I’m too sensitive for this sort of tale. My sadness persisted even after things turned around and the cat was once again appreciated.

It’s a lovely book though.

There is also an interesting author's no
Sylvia
Found this book yesterday, when visiting a museum. I knew the story, because it is part of the folklore tales of my country. It's a lovely book to read to kids who are learning to read. When their reading abilities improve it is a good story to read themselves. Illustrations, so important to stimulate fantasy, are wonderful, even I got a bit emotional when I finished the book. Based on events during the Saint Elizabethflood, 5 November 1421.
This story also has given its name to one of the most
Josette
I told my kids this story wasn't true while I was reading it--turns out it was! (or was at least based on a true event)
Nesa Sivagnanam
An absolutely beautifully illustrated tale about a cat who saves a child during a flood. Based on a true story from the Netherlands. The book has the most lovely drawings where you can see every single strand of fur on the cat and all the tiny details in each scene.
Julia Jasztal
(Mommy's review from 3/23/11)

Wow! This is a beautiful, beautiful book! I thought - wrongly - that it would be boring when we first started it so I'm happy we kept going.
Katje (pronounced Katie?) is based on a true story almost 600 years old out of South Holland! In 1421, on Nov. 5th to be exact, a storm coming off of the North Sea flooded a small village. "A cat and a baby did live through that terrible flood." I'm aware that they didn't live through the flood in the manner described in the book
Shelli
Cat lovers will embrace this lovely work of historical fiction that revolves around an actual event that occurred in 1421 in a small village in Holland with a heroic cat, a violent storm, and a helpless infant.
Diane
We liked the story, and the happy ending.
Amy
Love a cat story inspired by real life events!
Taigiseadh
This is a beautifully illustrated educational children's book about the St. Elizabeth's flood of November 1421 that left many parts of southern Holland under water. But, from the flood sprung the legend of the cat and a baby in a cradle that lived in one of the 19 windmills in the area known as Kinderdijk (Children's Dike) in Alblasserward.
Claire
I enjoyed reading about Katje the cat. My kids were not so into it but they might be a little too young to appreciate the story. This book is based on a true account, which the author includes at the end of the book.
The story is consists of a cat and a baby that both survived the terrible Elizabeth Day flood of 1421, Holland.
Paula
Based on a true story of a cat who saved a small baby during the flood of 1421 in the Netherlands. Gentle illustrations and a lot of text that might make it a good book for a little bit older crowd, 1st grade, to read to.
Jim
anytime you have a chance to see cat illustrations by Nicola Bayley go for it. she's the only artist that consistantly makes rat catchers look attractive
non fiction based in holland. katje was a dutch lassie
Jackie
The illustrations had nice original tiles drawings. The story was a bit overdone. Based on historical fiction?-that makes it a fun read for those who visit the "Kinderdijk" in Holland.
Bree
Notes:
frightening element of baby lost in flood waters
baby is born and cat gets ignored
illustrations were nice
longer story for ages 5+
Fruitfulmomma
On of my favorite picture books for children! A delightful story about a cat living during the flooding of Holland.
Mary
We all love this beautifully illustrated book, especially since our own heritage is Dutch. Highly recommend it.
Andrea
The cat saves the family's baby in a flood. Based on a true story and beautifully illustrated.
Sherri
Lovely illustrations. Unexpectedly moving. I choked up a little bit reading this to my kids.
VegasGal
Wow, what a lovely story with amazingly detailed and beautiful illustrations!
AliVakama
This book is about a cat who saved a baby. New words:dike.
Bentley&Lou
Katie brought this home from her vacation in Holland.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A cat saves a baby in Holland. Gotta love cats!
Aprilleigh
Aprilleigh marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mumbet's Declaration of Independence All the World's a Stage: A Novel in Five Acts Write On, Mercy! The Secret Life of Mercy Otis Warren Jeannette Rankin: Political Pioneer Animal Families, Animal Friends