Start by marking “The Jesus Family Tomb: The Discovery, the Investigation & the Evidence That Could Change History” as Want to Read:

The Jesus Family Tomb tells the story of what may very well be the greatest archeological find of all time: the discovery & investigation of the Jesus family tomb. The tomb in question houses ossuaries (bone boxes) with inscriptions bearing the names of Jesus of Nazareth, the Virgin Mary, Mary Magdalene & Judas, the son of Jesus. This crypt had been overlooked & ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (NY) (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Jesus Family Tomb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jesus Family Tomb

Petra
Sep 20, 2015 Petra rated it liked it
This book contains interesting ideas and information. I learned a lot about ossuaries and some more on the history of the beginnings of Christianity. However, the book is geared towards the Discovery Channel documentary on this subject. Most of this book is the telling of the lead-up into the investigation into this family tomb, the filming, the testing, the secrecy of the project. There are some interesting speculations, some interesting DNA results and lots of history and documentation to sugg ...more
jcg
Apr 01, 2009 jcg rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I thought it was going to be one of those books that sensationalizes a trivial discovery, but the evidence and the arguments, admittedly a little rough around the edges, are quite compelling.

Is this the Jesus family tomb? I have no idea. It would be great fun if it was. But the discovery will never be taken seriously because, as the authors document, of political intrigues. Christians don't want anything to do with it because it fundamentally challenges
Keith Akers
Mar 13, 2012 Keith Akers rated it really liked it
I read this book over four years ago, after watching the Discovery Channel DVD on the same subject. While the DVD is very good, this book fills in a lot of additional details that you don't pick up just from the DVD. They talk about the James ossuary, discovered separately in 2002 but now connected to the "Jesus Family Tomb" through the patina, which to me is actually one of the most convincing arguments in favor of the tomb's authenticity. The book just published, The Jesus Discovery: The New A ...more
Patricia Walker
Jan 19, 2014 Patricia Walker rated it it was amazing
I'm not into orthodox religion but even I found the evidence given here clear and concise. It amazes me how people can hold onto a dream against tremendous odds and hostility and still come out with evidence that would appear to be irrefutable. A definite read for anyone who has a passing interest in the story of a man who was remarkable for his time. A man who would still be causing huge eruptions across many of our academic disciplines 2000 yrs after his time. Far from being dull and boring th ...more
Aaron
Apr 04, 2007 Aaron added it
This book is not written for serious scholars of religion or history. In fact, there is very little in the way of citation in the book. In order to examine the manuscript claims of the book, you would have to have a good bit of knowledge of the field already, since the book gives no direction for those who wish to interact with the material at a reasonable level. If, for example, you were already familiar with the provenance of the "Acts of Phillip" or had read the work, you would know that usin ...more
Todd
Apr 11, 2008 Todd rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Jill, Karen
Imagine stumbling upon the final resting place of Jesus the Christ and his family. This seems something out of speculative fiction or mythology yet that is what the authors purport to have found.

A construction crew working in the Talipot suburb of Jerusalem in the 1980's accidently uncovered a tomb that has been dubbed the tomb of 10 ossuaries, which in and of itself is not miraclous as this occurs frequently.

But what is unsuual were the names inscribed on the ossuaries. The grouping would ind
Michael Mcclelland
Interesting account of the discovery (and rediscovery) of a tomb in Jerusalem containing remains that indicate a family with remarkable similarity to the genealogy described (and further hinted at) in canonical and non-canonical Christian gospels regarding Jesus Christ, was laid to rest within it. Neither of the authors are writers foremost, nor especially unbiased in the beliefs, and the book suffers somewhat as a result.

Despite this the investigation and evidence is a mix of the compelling, e
Melanie
Jun 14, 2016 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
In 1980 while blasting the hills of Talpiot in preparation for development, an ancient tomb was discovered.

Archaeologists entered and discovered 10 ossuaries (bone boxes) in a traditional burial chamber. These ossuaries were catalogued, photographed and measured before being moved to the Israel Antiquities Authorities storeroom.

6 of these 10 ossuaries had inscriptions. These inscriptions included 'Jesus, son of Joseph," "Maria" and "Mariamne."

This discovery went virtually unnoticed for 25 years.
Steve Congdon
Jan 18, 2015 Steve Congdon rated it really liked it
The book chronicles the 1980 discovery of a tomb in the southeast section of Jerusalem called Talpiot in which 10 ossuaries were found. An ossuary is a stone box that contained the bones of a deceased family member. When someone died, the body was place in a tomb on a stone bench then a year or so later after the body had decomposed, the bones were collected and placed in a small stone box. 6 of the boxes found in the Talpiot tomb had name inscriptions on them like Miriamne (translated as Mary o ...more
Erik Graff
Aug 20, 2010 Erik Graff rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christians
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: religion
I give this book four stars for being a page-turner, not as an endorsement of its credibility. This is the third book I've read about the discovery in 1980 of a first century tomb in Jerusalem containing ossuaries ascribed to Yeshua bar Yosef; Mariamne, also known as Mara; Maria; Yosa; Yehuda bar Yeshua; Matiah and Yaakov ben Yosef akhui diYeshua. The authors argue that the individuals so designated were Jesus; Mary of Magdala, his wife; Mary, his mother; Jose, his brother; Judah, his son; Matt ...more
Holly
Oct 14, 2010 Holly rated it it was amazing
Wow! Wow! I have never claimed to be a christian, but have always believed that Jesus was an actual human being that walked the earth and who was one of the greatest people that ever lived. I think that this book documents the real discovery of his tomb, and the tomb of his family, found in the current century. You would think that that is enough, but it isn't. The events surrounding the discovery are just so entirely, nearly farcically, reminiscent of his life and death as told in the Bible, as ...more
Michael Springer
Dec 13, 2016 Michael Springer rated it liked it
This fascinating book relates the efforts of a team of archeologists and documentary film makers to verify what may be one of the most important finds in history: the tomb of Jesus and his family. What does it mean for Christianity if the searchers are able to verify, using 21st century science, that the Son of God did not physically ascend into heaven but was moved to another tomb? What about the ossuary of a woman named Mariamne placed to rest nearby? Was this Mary Magdalene? And was she his w ...more
Radovan
Mar 12, 2016 Radovan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literatura-faktu
Skutočný príbeh napísaný tak pútavo, že si ani neuvedomujete, že vpodstate ide o literatúru faktu. V porovnaní s podobnými knihami (napr. Svätá krv a svätý grál Baigenta, Leigha a Lincolna) nabitými viacmenej suchýmui faktami, dokumentami a dôkazmi je Hrobka doslova epická beletria. Vťahuje do príbehu jedného z najväčších archeologických dobrodružstiev, nevtieravým spôsobom ponúka úvahy, vysvetlenia i priame dôkazy. Bez ohľadu na to, kto čomu verí, toto by malo byť súčasťou hodín dejepisu i nábo ...more
Steven
Jan 03, 2013 Steven rated it liked it
Shelves: religiony
It's mostly History Channel nonsense. There was one section where the authors admitted where they were delving into pure speculation which I thought was a lot of fun. They speculated that some of the Templars became Pirates and that the Jolly Rodger symbol represented the bones of Jesus from this tomb. If I recall I think they had an idea also for how the name Rodger became attached to that also. I'm glad they admitted that part was all speculation, it was fun. They're both very enthusiastic abo ...more
Lyle Appleyard
Dec 03, 2012 Lyle Appleyard rated it really liked it
This is a book where you have to let you mind be ready to accept ideas that may be heretical or non-kosher. I like thses kind of books. They try to look at the facts without any sort of agenda, other than discovering the truth.

If you read the DaVinci, read about the Knights Templar and wonder what went on about two thousand yers ago, give this book a look. It may not be Shakespeare. It has two authours and you can tell. Although it would have been a good idea to give us a heads up when naration
Evan Macbeth
Mar 06, 2012 Evan Macbeth rated it really liked it
I read this in one day.

It's quick, easy, compelling and fascinating. Absolutely, it is making a case for a particular interpretation of a set of evidence, and the narrative presentation is setup and stylistically adjusted to support that case. But even when you correct for narrative bias, the case for the tomb in question to be Jesus's probable burial site is one that has to be taken seriously, even if not all aspects of the case should be (it goes Templar conspiracy theory at points).

But removi
Oct 23, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a archeological research story of a first century tomb found outside Jerusalem (Talpiot) based on the author's compilation of evidence. Historically interesting. They present evidence that strongly supports that this is possibly the family tomb of Jesus of Nazareth. But more fascinating is the scientific evidence they use and the means by how the conclude their evidence. Very interesting. On the sadder note, it is sickening how quickly we can eradicate our ancestors tombs, covering up ce ...more
Ron
Nov 14, 2010 Ron rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good account of the refinding of what apparently is the likely archeological find of the millenium. The thorough documentation and the style that Jacobovici uses is a real "grabber" for those with inquiring minds. Two troubling questions remain: 1)why did the original find in 1980 just "go away", and 2)why has there been so little made of the more recent (2007) archeological and technological research and refinding of the tomb.
Tototapalnise
Sep 27, 2011 Tototapalnise rated it liked it
Rasa penasaran dan keingin tahuan saya yang besar untuk memutuskan membeli buku ini. Buku yang menjadi best seller di NY. Buku yang berisi penelitian tentang makam2 kuno di tanah Israel yang diyakini merupakan makam keluarga YEsus.

Benarkah? jujur buku ini belum bisa menjawab pertanyaan tersebut. Karena memang penelitian ini belum 100 % selesai.. dan akhirnya pembacalah yang diminta untuk menarik kesimpulannya sendiri.

Selamat penasaran :D
Kaelie
Jan 21, 2015 Kaelie rated it really liked it
Interesting detective story about the 1980 discovery and subsequent rediscovery of a Jerusalem tomb containing remains that point to the burial/interment of Jesus and his family members. The arguments that this is the family tomb of Jesus etc. are compelling, but there are some gaps (why only test the Jesus/Mariamne ossuaries? why not test the organic material in all of them?). Still -- fascinating stuff.
Kimberly
Mar 05, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was ok
I was not a fan of this book, not at all. It took me almost 1 year to read. I put it down and never wanted to pick it back up. This book was very confusing and I got lost several times. There is a show, a "special" based off the book, watch that. Do not waste your time on this book.

It's only saving grace is that this book was not what I thought it would be. Someone out there may like this for what it is.
Christine
Jan 25, 2016 Christine rated it it was amazing
The book is an acount of the finding of the most extraordinary discovery--the burial place of Jesus and his immediate family. No matter what your personal beliefs are, you'll find this an exceptionally gripping tale of the discovery, the research, the evidencethat may well alter how you view both history and religion.
Tracy
Jun 30, 2011 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion-history
The idea is facinating. The book raises so many of the "What if?" questions. Interesting how these possiblities create so many negative responses. I really enjoy Simcha. I have watched pretty much every episode of the Naked Archeologist and find he is curious and willing to question conventional or traditional thought while not pushing his own agenda. Just makes you want to go dig stuff up!
Bonnie
I bought this book after rereading Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code. I was intrigued with the authors' reciting of the process of uncovering the physical evidence and the scientific testing done to back up their theories. I'm not generally a conspiracy theorist, but wonder why there has not been more publicity on this coming from Israel, the church (any denomination) or the archeological community.
Joann
Nov 16, 2014 Joann rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. The evidence is all there. Do with it what you will. I don't see why it is so controversial that Jesus was married and had a family. He was Jewish and Rabbis were encouraged to marry. There is nothing wrong with holding on to your beliefs but you cannot discount all the evidence all the time.
Rachel
Dec 15, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The book is much better than the tv special. It didn't try to glamorize or put ideas into your head, it just stated the facts and the reasoning. Very informative and I loved the archiological terms and explanations.
Robbie Sellars
Feb 25, 2016 Robbie Sellars rated it liked it
While I found the subject matter fascinating, I felt the book dragged on a bit. There were a lot of details that went nowhere - the first tomb finding for example, and a lot of people talking to each other.
Eva De poorter
Jan 15, 2017 Eva De poorter rated it really liked it
Interessant boek voor mensen die houden van archeologie, geschiedenis, cultuur en religie.
De waarschijnlijkheidsfactor speelt in dit boek een belangrijke rol voor de believers. Ook al is het controversieel, er zijn toch veel elementen in het boek waar je niet naast kan kijken.
Karlie Nyte
Aug 01, 2011 Karlie Nyte rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating book! Regardless of your religious beliefs, it's fascinating! I've read this book more than once, and each time I've read it, I become more fascinated by what the authors have to say.
Rob
Mar 06, 2009 Rob rated it it was amazing
if true, indeed if this is the family tomb of jesus -- it will surely be lost on deaf ears of a decaying society of sicophants, fanatics, and murderers. if you are a christian, you have blood on your hands. i don't want any part of your fantasy.
  • The Jesus Discovery: The New Archaeological Find that Reveals the Birth of Christianity
  • The Lost Gospel: The Quest for the Gospel of Judas Iscariot
  • How Jesus Became Christian
  • The Road to Ubar: Finding the Atlantis of the Sands
  • Drawn with the Sword: Reflections on the American Civil War
  • The Jesus Papers: Exposing the Greatest Cover-up in History (Plus)
  • Ancient Mystery Cults
  • Secrets of Mary Magdalene: The Untold Story of History's Most Misunderstood Woman
  • Warwick the Kingmaker
  • The Historical Jesus (Great Courses, #643)
  • The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God?
  • The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity
  • Jesus: A Life
  • Forbidden Archeology: The Hidden History of the Human Race
  • The Templar Revelation: Secret Guardians of the True Identity of Christ
  • The Gospel of Judas
  • Attorney for the Damned: Clarence Darrow in the Courtroom
  • The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries: Cosmology and Salvation in the Ancient World