Leola and the Honeybears (hc)

Leola and the Honeybears (hc)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  12 reviews

Published October 1st 1999 by Cartwheel

To ask other readers questions about Leola and the Honeybears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leola and the Honeybears

Cheryl in CC NV
I dunno. It was charming enough - but the diversion about the bears having a inn was, imo, distracting. As was calling them honeybears and giving them three different colors. And I didn't particularly like the ending - the child should have been 'scared straight' so to speak. In my opinion.
Sheniqua
Leola doesn't listen or pay attention to her grandmother when she warns her about wandering off. Leola finds herself lost in the woods and then runs into Ol Mister Weasel. She runs off and ends up in the three bears' home. This story is an adaptation of the Goldilocks and the Three Bears. This story would be great for discussing cause and effect? Why did Leola go off in the woods and what happened? Students can also sequence the events in the story and learn why it's important to listen to our e...more
Jelisa
I absolutely love this book. It is a spin from the traditional goldilocks and the three bears. I think that this book does an amazing job in capturing the african american experience within this book with relatable references ie. the name Leola, african american vernacular used in the story. I think that this story would be great in the classroom to relate to students that do speak the vernacular.
Monica
Fairly good re-telling of 'Goldilocks and the Three Bears.' This southern retelling of the classic fairytale is elegantly illustrated with oil paintings that draw you into Leola’s adventure. It provides an excellent opportunity to discuss cultural differences with children and is a must read for anyone looking for good children’s picture books.

Recommended for Pre-K to 2nd grade
Diane
the boys liked the story. I didn't tell them it was a Goldilocks parallel. They became very excited shortly into it when they saw the parallels.

The ending was better than the original Goldilocks (for moral-of-the-story purposes), with the main character needing to face up to the consequences of her poor choices.
Christy
A sweet little story about the story of the godilocks and the three little bears retold as an african american folktale. This story follows very close to the traditional story but with bits of flavor and familiar sayings. The illustrations are great. In the end the main character makes friends with the bears.
Nicole Holden
This is a very cute version of the original story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. This book would be great for discussing cause and effect and predicting what will happen next. Students can also sequence the events that happen in this popular fairy tale story.

Miriam
This adaptation of Goldilocks emphasizes the dangers of willfulness and disobedience in children. Some added pictorial details, like the Three Bears keeping an inn, are charming but add little to the basic story.
Lorraine
I love this retelling of Goldilocks and the Three Bears - and the bear family is a "mixed" family - Papa bear is black, Mama bear is white, and baby bear is tan. . . Beautiful illustrations!
Kim
Sickeningly sweet version of Red Riding Hood. I gave it four stars because of the awesome illustrations.

themes: African-Americans, bears, bratty kids, folktales
Rima Halig
An African American Retelling of Goldilocks and the three Bears. Beautiful illustrations.
Joya Threalkill
Loved this book! The twist of this classic tale was amazing and so relatable!
Anita E
Anita E marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Lolit
Lolit marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Zoe Nelson
Zoe Nelson marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Fadzlina Nuzuruhan
Fadzlina Nuzuruhan marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Amy Nicole
Amy Nicole marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Amina
Amina marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Kristen Herzog
Kristen Herzog marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Millsrm
Millsrm marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
'Twas the Night B'Fore Christmas: An African-American Version Minnie Saves the Day : The Adventures of Minnie Double Dutch and the Voodoo Shoes: A Modern Urban Tale The Adventures of Minnie: Book Two Addy: An American Girl (Boxed Set) (American Girls Collection)